Who's planning to buy 5700(?) GPU

No stability issues here.

Performance seems good for the price. The monitor I have on this machine is 1080p, and it can handle it well. It's a 240Hz FreeSync, and I can regularly get in the 120 - 160 fps range which looks nice.

DOOM is running at 200 fps locked (engine limited) and I've maybe never seen anything this smooth. Older games were getting the full 240 fps like Left4Dead and Mirror's Edge, newer games like Shadow of Tomb Raider and DIRT Rally 2.0 were getting well above 120 fps.

I also tried the Radeon Image Sharpening, and it worked. Unfortunately, I have only a 1080p monitor on this rig (I think it would work better for 1440p or 4K displays) but I was still able to verify it worked.

In this case, I tried running a few games at 720p and it was playable. Granted, the sharpening did lower the quality, it wasn't blurry exactly, but it looked like it was run through a Photoshop filter. However, at 1600 x 900 it still looked good, and the image quality difference was minor.

This, to me, was not as nice looking as DLSS, BUT it worked in every game I tried, which makes it far more useful. In Tomb Raider, for example, the game was still playable quality at 720p, which it would not have been with standard scaling.

I would say Radeon Image Sharpening is a game changer of a feature. While I would still prefer running at native resolution if I could, this gives people a very useful option for increasing performance dramatically, while still looking okay.

It sort of has a console game look to it, which makes sense because this kind of trick has come from consoles which rarely run at native resolution. It works better on some games than others, but please try for yourself.

Last thing, I tried 4K using VSR. It worked, but I think this is not the strongest 4K card. In DOOM (best case scenario) I was getting around 75 fps on 4K ultra settings. On Tomb Raider high settings only around 45 fps at 4K. 1440p was around 85 fps.

So overall this 5700XT card is looking decent. It did not hit it out the park like I thought Radeon VII did, but for $400 this is an awesome piece of hardware. Will need to play with it more, but I like it so far.

I would say Radeon Image Sharpening is a game changer of a feature. While I would still prefer running at native resolution if I could, this gives people a very useful option for increasing performance dramatically, while still looking okay.

IMO that's a bit of a stretch. Never heard of Reshade? or NVidia Freestyle?

Really looking forward to see if Nv will have a counter to AMD Sharpening. I like DLSS a lot for 4K, but oh so few titles support it.

Of course having a 4k and a 1080p monitor hooked up atm, I really don't have any issues...unless you ask my wife...

Nvidia has significantly less incentive to push various upscaling features- they'd prefer you buy a faster GPU.

But for many things that a 2080Ti is not fast enough for, I would expect them to make a push. VR, 4k120+, and 8k60 aren't going to be hitting full speed at full resolution and full detail settings any time soon.

NVidia's "Counter" showed up last year. NVidia Freestyle which allows a host of Post process effects including sharpen, clarity, etc...

Never even tried it. So drop res from 4k to 1440P, sharpen and.....profit?

Must be too simple right? If I have time tonight I might try that.

Welcome to every console that purports to run games 'at 4k' for the next decade ;)

Generally the tests comparing to DLSS (which runs at 1440p for 4K) tend to run around 1800p.

1800p and sharpen would probably be very hard to tell the difference between that and 4K.

Reinstalled windows, occasional hitch during games is gone now. Still occasionally black screens/locks up when finishing a game and returning to menu or alt tabbing.

Also restarted to snow on my 2nd monitor on one occasion

also, wattman is trash.

Card feels equivalent to my 1080ti when it is working.

that is all.

I got one crash when exiting to the menu on Dirt Rally (sounds like the same issue). The screen locked up and required hard reset of system.

Was getting quick black flashes about every 15 - 20 seconds. Seems to be a conflict with Afterburner. If I close Afterburner it is fine, I decided to use Wattman and the AMD overlay and that works.

In terms of more testing, I was able to play a few more games at ultra settings 1440p (VSR) and I'm getting in the 100 to 120 fps range. Far Cry 5, Prey, DOOM, Resident Evil VII, Dying Light.

I would say that the 5700 XT is a perfect card for high refresh 1080p or 1440p. 4K60 might be possible on lower settings or optimized games, but that may be a stretch.

However, if we consider Radeon Image Sharpening, you might be able to run at 1800p or somewhere around there and get 60 fps (assuming the game supports render scale).

So overall I am happy with the purchase. Though I didn't need the upgrade, I do like to support AMD and try new technology so I'm having fun with it.

Also forgot to mention, the fan gets really loud. Probably one of the loudest cards I've heard, even at less than 100%.

Well, I'm a huge AMD fan, but that doesn't impair my hearing. It is a super loud card, even 50% fan is maybe too loud.

Honestly I don't care much because I use headphones, but I do know some people here care so I wanted to share.

Have the extreme 3 laying around. Good to know and hopefully fits newer cards.

Typical AMD blower card. You shouldn't be surprised. I know I'm not.
I wonder if it will be louder than the Vega FE? They were not bad at all as in the noise was not irritating for me (of course mileage will vary). Received my card today, Sunday I should have time to play with it.

I wonder if it will be louder than the Vega FE? They were not bad at all as in the noise was not irritating for me (of course mileage will vary). Received my card today, Sunday I should have time to play with it.

Loud is highly variable person to person and how quiet a room is naturally.

I had a Vega 64, and later got a Radeon VII, and the fans were not exactly the same. For example, I found VII to be quieter than Vega 64, and the 5700 XT is at least as loud as the original Vega.

The bigger difference, though, is that the Radeon VII worked okay with default auto fan speed, which was relatively silent. 5700 XT on default fan can quickly get to 90C, which is too hot for my comfort.

As soon as I saw it hit 90C I had to add my custom fan curve, which is when I noticed how loud it was (on default it was quiet, sure, but ineffective).

Okay, seriously, who didn't read that in a Professor Farnsworth voice...?!?

Reactions: Auer
like this
The Fury X at 100% was louder than any of the AMD cards mentioned here yet nobody brings it up because the stock BIOS didn't use the upper range of the fan's RPMs. The RX 5700 XT BIOS takes advantage of what cooling the blower can provide and of course that's going to be loud until one of the partners slaps a 2.5 slot cooler on it. I haven't test it myself yet but I would be very surprised if you can't undervolt the stock settings and set up a more relaxed fan curve.

If I can manage to stack up to 40% rebate I might go nuts with a XT on water and see if I can push 2200 mhz.
Hopefully we get a 5800 or so before november when my rebates run out - got a shit ton of rebate points for my etailer because of zen2 purchases.

Never really watercooled my gpu with a block and backplate before, I wonder how big of a difference in cooling does a backplate make?

It makes a big difference where it can actually cool. Mostly the VRMs. It also looks so much better to put a backplate on an ugly PCB if you window your PC.

Waterblocks make an astronomical difference in temperature control and max frequency ceiling. My 2080ti makes ZERO noise and runs at about 55 to 60c full load.

My 5700xt will get blocked as well soon. I just need to figure out how I am going to do it in my Corsair mATX Case which my 5700xt is in.

Never really watercooled my gpu with a block and backplate before, I wonder how big of a difference in cooling does a backplate make?
I was just thinking about getting the backplate and not watercooling the gpu .. for the extra money I could have just gotten the XT but I only game at 1080p and I like the lower power draw of the non-XT ... hence why I went with the 3700x CPU

Those Arctic fans look amazing... air cooling a 5700 down to @50c?

I keep mentally flip-flopping. I want (almost need) to replace my RX580 and $ is tight enough atm that I'm considering just getting a cheap lightly-used Vega 64 for @ $300.
Conversely, I think by this fall, there will be another overall MSRP price drop + the next wave of lower binned releases (5600 etc) - not to mention the 3rd party releases.
Lower electric useage + 'fine wine' improvements might/probably will make Vega obsolete at the same price point (then would need to replace again next year :/ )

/also want to see some water-cooled benchmarks (after updated drivers)
//still only 1080 gaming but will get 2k monitor at Black Friday

I was just thinking about getting the backplate and not watercooling the gpu .. for the extra money I could have just gotten the XT but I only game at 1080p and I like the lower power draw of the non-XT ... hence why I went with the 3700x CPU

You really should email EKWB about this before you purchase...

Usually their back plates are designed to work with their water blocks, NOT with the stock cooling...

You should have just gone for the 5700 XT; remember, undervolting is a thing...

I'm think'n that's probably what I should have done .. reading their site it says exactly that .. not a standalone item .. its meant to coincide with their waterblock

I didn't even think about undervolting o_O

So tried to out water on my 5700xt, card seems bricked can't get it to power on. Reinstalled stock cooler and same story. Dunno what happened, nothing is physically damaged, did a thorough inspection. I've mounted waterblocks on probably close to 20 or 30 video cards.

Blech.

Dunno if I should try to exchange at mc or is that scummy? I mean I can't see why it's failing to power on so it seems like a defect, but maybe I'm telling myself that because I have a bricked $350 dollar card.

I do like Afterburner, the AMD OSD is small and hard to read, but I'd rather things work while we wait for an update.

So tried to out water on my 5700xt, card seems bricked can't get it to power on. Reinstalled stock cooler and same story. Dunno what happened, nothing is physically damaged, did a thorough inspection. I've mounted waterblocks on probably close to 20 or 30 video cards.

Blech.

Dunno if I should try to exchange at mc or is that scummy? I mean I can't see why it's failing to power on so it seems like a defect, but maybe I'm telling myself that because I have a bricked $350 dollar card.

You probably ESD the card somewhere. Exchange it. If it's a dud it's a dud. Be honest with yourself. If you broke it. Own it. If it is unexplainable then exchange it. I've done countless water blocks. Shit doesnt fail that easy. Sounds like you shocked it or you have a dud.

broke down and I'm returning the RX 5700 and dishing out the extra $50 for the XT ..

I'm a little bit into the "bling bling" ..because it makes my PC faster! :LOL:

But for only $50 more you get:
-A faster video card
-A backplate (mostly cosmetic)
-A lit up Radeon logo (cosmetic)
-A louder card
-A more power hungry card

I don't mind noise as I only game with headphones on

broke down and I'm returning the RX 5700 and dishing out the extra $50 for the XT ..

I'm a little bit into the "bling bling" ..because it makes my PC faster! :LOL:

But for only $50 more you get:
-A faster video card
-A backplate (mostly cosmetic)
-A lit up Radeon logo (cosmetic)
-A louder card
-A more power hungry card

I don't mind noise as I only game with headphones on

I'm the same way headphones and noise

Splurged a bit and went for the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition...

Extra 50 bucks over the standard 5700 XT, but should have a binned GPU...?

Gonna tear it apart; modding with a Morpheus II heat sink, Carbonaut thermal pad, & minus8 thermal pads...

YkCiEmw.jpg

Splurged a bit and went for the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary Edition...

Extra 50 bucks over the standard 5700 XT, but should have a binned GPU...?

Gonna tear it apart; modding with a Morpheus II heat sink, Carbonaut thermal pad, & minus8 thermal pads...

View attachment 174388

Can you post a build log of that card when you upgrade the cooling preeeeeeetty please ???

Back