Who's making moves to get ready for the new release of cards?

I suppose when the time is near, I'll settle in with a nice big bag of popcorn and watch the timmy's pray to the one eyed monster.

I think as we have all learned throughout the years, our current cards don't suddenly become obsolete when a new lineup launches. As much as the marketing folks would have us believe our GPUs suddenly stop working when a new lineup comes out, it's just not the case. As evidenced here many people are continuing to enjoy gaming on older GPUs just fine. You don't need the latest and greatest to enjoy some PC games.

Good point. I usually like to upgrade every other generation, and sell my old card while it is still worth some money.

Funny enough, I put together a spare PC out of some older parts I had around, and put a 1060 6GB in there, and I was surprised some games actually still ran okay.

I'm itching for a new gpu I'm on a 970 gtx. I realy don't want to upgrade my mobo cpu ram etc which is older. I'm hoping I can get by with jus upgrading the gpu, what you guys think?

I'm itching for a new gpu I'm on a 970 gtx. I realy don't want to upgrade my mobo cpu ram etc which is older. I'm hoping I can get by with jus upgrading the gpu, what you guys think?
I don't see what you have in a signature so I can't put any relevant commentary to help out.

I'm ready to make a move.
Not sure if AMD or Nvidia I'll wait for reviews
As for my Plex machine I didtched my AMD 480 I was using, massive streams but massive utillity bil so its running a GTX750TI now and waiting for the Intel DG1 or Xe or whatever the wind up calling it. I am grabbing the low tier for quicksynk Plex work.
The Gaming rig gets whichever AMD or Nividia price performance is better

You are going to want to upgrade even to a Ryan 3300x before updating your gpu alone. It going to hold whatever ampere or even turing card back.

Great video for your situation
How will it hold me back? If you mean by 20 to 30 fps I don't think that's worth the hassle and extra cost of having to change out the mobo, ram and cpu and also a new windows 10 install since that's tied to the mobo...

How will it hold me back? If you mean by 20 to 30 fps I don't think that's worth the hassle and extra cost of having to change out the mobo, ram and cpu and also a new windows 10 install since that's tied to the mobo...
If you watch the video we are talking a consistent close to double the frames that the R3 3300x has over your current CPU. Its pretty drastic. That video compares your CPU along with others from 2014 to 2020 options high and low. If you are that against a cpu upgrade then maybe wait for the 3050/3060. Probably a good match for a 2070, good as in I wouldnt waste anything higher.

I might actually use the new card situation and buy an Alienware laptop with 2070 S (non max-q) together with a PS5 console. It should be discounted.
Then sell my 4k/120hz screen and buy 1440p/120hz. Or 60hz. I don't mind 60hz. Just need to be able to play stuff that is not available on the consoles, like World of Warcraft, and I think 2070 S will be able to pull that, especially with i9-10980HK.

If you watch the video we are talking a consistent close to double the frames that the R3 3300x has over your current CPU. Its pretty drastic. That video compares your CPU along with others from 2014 to 2020 options high and low. If you are that against a cpu upgrade then maybe wait for the 3050/3060. Probably a good match for a 2070, good as in I wouldnt waste anything higher.
But what if my current build matched with a better gpu will be good enough?

But what if my current build matched with a better gpu will be good enough?

good enough for what ?

You will be able to play AAA titles with a 2070/3060 for a while.

You don't want to exceed 2070 performance since you are bottle necking better cards and wasting money. Your current setup gets half or less than half the performance you can get out of a 2080/2080ti level card compared to anything above a R3300x or i5 9400(would be farther behind the i5).

Last edited:
I answered what the highest you should put with your current setup. You don't want to exceed 2070 performance since you are bottle necking better cards and wasting money. Your current setup gets half or less than half the performance you can get out of a 2080/2080ti level card compared to anything above a R3300x or i5 9400(would be farther behind the i5).
Would it be better to wait for nvidia new line of gpus instead to pair with current rig? Realy not in a rush to upgrade gpu seems fine in most games I play but eventually want to upgrade

Would it be better to wait for nvidia new line of gpus instead to pair with current rig? Realy not in a rush to upgrade gpu seems fine in most games I play but eventually want to upgrade
I would wait and look at what their mainstream cards like 3050/3060 look like. If the 3050 performs well enough you may be fine with that. Plus if you wait , a deal maybe found on a card 20 series maybe that will give you a boost that you want.

So I've got a whole new WC build lined up just sitting here collecting dust waiting for the new cards, be them from Nvidia or AMD.

New waterblock for my CPU, new 420 rad, new copper tuning, fittings, res and new Phanteks 719. All waiting to be built. But no sense doing it now and having to RE do it when I get a new card.

I'm just ready to see benches. Really don't care about upgrading at this point. The 2080 I have is plenty fast... still at 1080p.

I really need to upgrade the rest of my system before I upgrade to a fancy new video card.

1. Bottled is better than canned.
2. Real sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup

But what if I disagree with you, even though I absolutely do not haha

See how opinion and perception can't be scientifically backed up at all. Same with the smoothness of GPU a vs GPU b

Sure, after you explain to me how human vision is better than a dogs using only your excellent knowledge of exactly how a dog perceives the same thing youre looking at.

Heres one for you ... explain how a coke made in mexico taste better than a coke made in the us?

Not that you were asking me but I actually find this really interesting.

Dogs actually have pretty terrible eyesight. They aren't completely blind, but were a human have their visual acuity, they wouldn't be allowed to drive without heavy prescription glasses. Imagine only being able to read the top "E" on the eyesight test at the optometrist, and maybe the second line if you squint really hard: that's what a Dog's visual acuity is like.

Now onto colour. Most people think Dogs can't see colour. This is false. Dogs have a much reduced sense of colour than humans. They can see Yellow and Blue clearly, and colours like red and green will 'ping' their two varieties of cone cells much like how the colour orange 'pings' our red and green cone cells, though we can't actually see the unique wavelength of 'orange' we can see an object that gives off a 50/50 blend of red and green.

This is why most dog toys are yellow or blue, and dogs may have trouble finding a red toy in the green grass.

But what if I disagree with you, even though I absolutely do not haha

See how opinion and perception can't be scientifically backed up at all. Same with the smoothness of GPU a vs GPU b

Glad you are not one of those who like slimy HFCS over real sugar :)

The smoothness of one GPU vs another GPU can be scientifically proven... You do a frametime benchmark. Doing a Frame runt benchmark is not so easy. This was a huge thing a few years ago before AMD fixed the framtime issues with their drivers.

Glad you are not one of those who like slimy HFCS over real sugar :)

The smoothness of one GPU vs another GPU can be scientifically proven... You do a frametime benchmark. Doing a Frame runt benchmark is not so easy. This was a huge thing a few years ago before AMD fixed the framtime issues with their drivers.

You cant with perception. Those are just numbers based on a computer capturing data. When it comes to individual perception of smoothness every last human being alive is different.

I’m excited to see what the next gen cards bring too, especially AMD side, but as a Linux user I’ll be sitting on my 5700 for quite some time until there’s easy driver support for new cards in an Ubuntu LTS point release.

If they release this year and the driver support is in whatever kernel release ships in 21.04, that means I might consider getting one... right about this time next year actually. After the 20.04.3 update.

Box is an SG13 with a 3700x in it, the smallest 5700 (not xt) I could find (powercolor axrx), and a Corsair sf450 psu. So to consider replacing it they’d have to have a mid-range card with a good bump over the 5700 that can fit into the same size/power envelope as the card I have. Curious to see how rdna2 scales down - I know they’ve said a “full refresh” is planned so I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

KazeoHin i feel a little more enlightened today knowing that. Just wanted to say thanks.

tangoseal are you running Linux or windows on that TR system? I was very surprised by the perceived smoothness in Ubuntu 20.04 with this card - it was a noticeable improvement from the drivers they’d released initially for 18.04 and th e preliminary support in 19.10. I’d also run under Windows with a 5700xt prior so I don’t know what changed, but something about the driver improvements that made it into 20.04 did something.

I'm giving my 2080 Ti to my daughter and I'm going to take her 1080 Ti to use until the new stuff is available.

You cant with perception. Those are just numbers based on a computer capturing data. When it comes to individual perception of smoothness every last human being alive is different.

In that regard, yes...... movies at the regular 24fps are not smooth at all. If I try, I can see the separate frames. I have to make myself not think about it when I am in a movie theater or even sometimes when just watching a movie on TV or else it drives me crazy.

Nobody I have said this to so far understands.

In that regard, yes...... movies at the regular 24fps are not smooth at all. If I try, I can see the separate frames. I have to make myself not think about it when I am in a movie theater or even sometimes when just watching a movie on TV or else it drives me crazy.

Nobody I have said this to so far understands.

I understand fully. That is why so many people are attacking me. They do not ever investigate their own senses. Its fine. Some people don't have the cognitive ability to explore their own internal perceptions of the external world. It really coincides with IQ level.

There are psychological studies that show evidence of this strongly. I am not going to get into a huge debate with people here over it either so don't ask me to quote references. I am not. It already is off topic enough because I made one comment that spanned a page of replies on how idiotic I am for finding differences in the world using my own perceptive ability to analyze my sensory inputs.

Get the gpu you want or like the most, you can always upgrade your pc when better parts come out.

I was rocking i5 750 with Nvidia Titan, np with 60fps in Gta5 1080p.

Upgraded to 7820x and 1070ti and play at 4k.
Personally -Im looking at the 3080, but upset about $800 rumor price.

Get the gpu you want or like the most, you can always upgrade your pc when better parts come out.

I was rocking i5 750 with Nvidia Titan, np with 60fps in Gta5 1080p.

Upgraded to 7820x and 1070ti and play at 4k.
Personally -Im looking at the 3080, but upset about $800 rumor price.
Yeah agreed. I'm eyeing the 3060 or 3070 I got the money for the best but I feel mid range is good enough. Don't care for 4k as my monitor is 1440p 144hz g sync...I got a 55inch TV i was running a 970gtx that I game at 1080p when I'm playing a side scroller or 3rd person game. I played gtav on the TV and it ran great but I think if i had a newer gpu it would have ran perfectly...btw u had a Nvidia Titan and could only run 60 fps at 1080p..lol that sounds terrible.

Doing a full build after the new house is finished being built in October. Ill have 6-7k saved up just for PC. Will be building my very first all-in rig ever. It only took 20 years since I got into this hobby, and I can't wait to blow my wad.
New AMD 4xxx, most likely the 3090 but will need to see it, gen4 nvme, 32GB ram, a Mobo that has water-cooled VRM block because I hate monoblocks, and possibly replacing my Acer XR382CQK monitor for something with faster refresh.

I have a 2070 Super and will be keeping it for the foreseeable future. Something tells me the talks of "90% improvement over Turing cards!" will only apply to Ray Tracing and DLSS, of which about 5% of games actually support right now and for at least the next couple of years. My current card is absolutely fine for at least 2 more years.

Just sold my 2080 Ti (for a good price) but I will wait until November before buying a replacement when there should be a wide offering of customized variants (no FE for me).

Reactions: Mylex
like this
Sold my RTX 2080 Super (for nearly the same amount I paid for it, less than a $100 hit). Now it's just the long wait to order a 3000 series.

Sold my early 2080 card today. Got a reasonable amount for it. To be completely frank, I thought I would have been more screwed than I was. It was a bit shocking that I've had that card for only one month short of 2 years! Time flies. So all in all, I guess things will work out unless Nvidia decides to charge $1000 for the 3080, in which case Nvidia deserves a rage storm of truly epic proportions. There's no way they should be able to get away with another massive generational price increase especially when the card is going to consume WAY more power and cost more to run and cool the room it's running in. There's going to have to be a industry reckoning on capability vs. price.

Was just listening to the latest Linus web conversation today and they were talking about how the massive price jumps every generation have created a situation where 4 year old cards are selling for over $400. The used market and "buying one gen back" isn't even helping anymore because of the constantly restructured prices. There is no really good "used" market.

The only reason my 2080 card went for hundreds less than new is because the 2080 super and 2070 super displaced it a bit... but still... It's weird to get back over 60% of your purchase price two years later on a freaking graphics card.

Sold my 2080TI on ebay last month. Got a 5500XT for a spare card and to hold me over until big navi is available. Tempted to buy a 3090 on launch and re-sell it.

Back