Who's making moves to get ready for the new release of cards?

Don't think I have ever run AMD on my main rig, hopefully that will change if they come through with Big Navi.

I'm making moves, wonder which ones coming on top though

Truly, Red or Green doesn't matter to me, I want the best performance per dollar for me in the highend. I wasn't empressed with my 2080ti so I returned it a grabbed a 2080 so I could still play around with RTX. RTX performance is still a high priority for me this round. I've been running a RX580 and that thing is loud while still putting out a crap ton of heat but I would do it long term for the whatever card gives me better than 2080ti performance in all areas as a start. Once meeting that then I need to see what the price difference between whats left.

Sold Radeon 7, GTX 1080, and Vega 64 -- Once there is a bit more firm date for nVidia cards will sell Titan X and RTX 2080 -- Still running Titan RTX and RTX 2080 Ti which will move over into couple slower systems once the new cards arrive.

Hoping too see nVidia cards sooner than Sept announcement thoughts some are saying...

havent built or upgrade PC since 2013 gtx 780 era. whichever single card has the better performance with hdmi 2.1 is going to be my pick, hopefully this new PC build will last another 8 years.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
I'll sell my 2080 when the new cards are out and I can make a better informed decision on what I'm going to and it will be worth the upgrade. I don't have a backup card and wouldn't want to be downgraded, even temporarily, while I wait for the new cards and am fine with making less on my 2080 because of that. I might even pass my 2080 to my son and sell his RX 570 8GB towards whatever I decide.

I think people expecting higher prices this gen are forgetting one key piece of information: AMD. nVidia's only been able to raise prices so much because AMD hasn't been able (or willing) to compete with the top cards for several generations now. nVidia themselves are expecting AMD to release a card 50% faster than a 2080 Ti this time around, and competition like that is not going to allow prices to increase yet again. Personally I think the predictions for 2080 Ti performance for $800 are too conservative - I'd expect more like $500 (and maybe even less on AMD's side) though with less VRAM of course. Microsoft's new sampler feedback API should help alleviate VRAM woes though if developers start using it.

Also keep in mind that Ampere's expected to bring a 4-5x raytracing performance improvement (even a 3060 is going to leave the 2080 Ti in the dust when it comes to raytracing) and with raytracing becoming a mainstream feature in the near future, that's definitely going to hurt the resale value of Turing cards.

putting a new one together mostly aimed at video rendering ect. I have not quit gaming but, i am not going to pay a absurd amount for a video card. As matter of fact no more than $800 that's stupid. they can eat them and tell me how they taste while their spitting there teeth out.

Yeah I wont buy the top tier card whatever that card is I'm running 1080P anyway. I'm prepared to skip the FE and go for whatever EVGA is offering which maybe next year.

Recently bought an LG CX 55 OLED TV. While I love my 2070 Super, I need something with some serious power to drive this crazy TV/monitor.

Whoever releases an HDMI 2.1 GPU first... AMD or Nvidia... will get my money. Day 1 purchase. Lets go!!!

Recently bought an LG CX 55 OLED TV. While I love my 2070 Super, I need something with some serious power to drive this crazy TV/monitor.

Whoever releases an HDMI 2.1 GPU first... AMD or Nvidia... will get my money. Day 1 purchase. Lets go!!!

Just bought the same TV running a 2070 Super with it as well. It's handling the games I play on it so far, but I may upgrade the card at some point down the line.

Nt sure taco understands, lads. Everyone has top dollar hardware and they're worried about saving a couple hundred bucks? If you already have 2080s, 1080s and equivalent, surely money is nt an issue, just buy 3080ti and *then* sell..

Why go through all this hassle and enjoy mediocre performance while new video cards arrive?

You don't really notice high frames rates anyway.
Unless your upgrading from a 5+ year old card.

Nt sure taco understands, lads. Everyone has top dollar hardware and they're worried about saving a couple hundred bucks? If you already have 2080s, 1080s and equivalent, surely money is nt an issue, just buy 3080ti and *then* sell..

Why go through all this hassle and enjoy mediocre performance while new video cards arrive?
I get asked this a lot.

Can I afford a 2080 Ti? Yes.
Does the 2080 Ti have HDMI 2.1? No.
Was I able to afford a 2080 Ti when I bought the 2070 Super? No.

It's all about value. Do I think the 2080 Ti is worth the insane asking price for a mere 30-40% performance jump over the 2070 Super? No.

Just because you can afford it does not mean you should buy it. That's why I'm waiting.

I'll be upgrading when i see what's what. My system is WC so ill wait for either
a factory WB card or when a decent WB comes out for 3080ti's.

I love to pick up a Big Navi but been burned by ATI cards crap driver support over the years
when i used them. Amd seems to have carried on that tradition,

When the Nvidia 580 came out 570 560ti and 550ti how many people are still using those cards? Even if you bought the flagship card they are all ancient history. Sure they still work but the drivers are no longer updated.

I have my evga 2080ti up on ebay now. My backup is a zephyrus g15 laptop to hold me over until after the dust settles in the fall. No takers so far, but to be fair I am asking a lot of money for it. I saw one go 'open box' for $1060 plus shipping yesterday.

The problem with the 2080ti it placed itself out of market at launch so did the Titan ect.. Plus the cards artifacted caused glitches so the lower end cards got the better reviews on sites and were easier to find.

Looking to upgrade by end-of-year, so will wait and see what looks good at that time.

One of the many downsides of hardline, can’t remove my gpu. I’d have sold my 1080ti otherwise.

I've been totally out the loop with gpus. I'm still sitting on an Asus 970gtx that runs everything I play..pc build is going on 7 yrs now as long as it pushes the games I play well what's the point of getting another gpu? Wait till cyberpunk hits and see how this 970 handles it and if the game is worth it in general lol

I sold my 2070 super black for 450 and got my kid an HP Core i7 Envy for 400 just 2 months old. I thought that I could wait but ended up getting a 2070 SUPER Ultra XC for 569. Well, the Lappy was worth well over 6 hundred (my dad just bought it’s before he passed so I am about even. I purchased it from mom to get her extra cash I will do a 90 day step up if EVGA still does that. I registered my new card but did not check to see if they still do that proggie

The 3080ti is going to have to blow my mind in cyber puck 2077 for me to upgrade from my 1080ti.

I'm one waiting too for Cyberpunk to break the disappointment of 2020, if its sucks I'm gonna use it as a performance benchmark tool as I only heard it was torturing systems during the play demo.

I'm one waiting too for Cyberpunk to break the disappointment of 2020, if its sucks I'm gonna use it as a performance benchmark tool as I only heard it was torturing systems during the play demo.

Most AAA games like it torture systems due to lack of optimization.

I did. Sold my 1080 ti here locally for $475. Waiting for the 3000 series to finally get HDMI 2.1 for my OLED B9. I have a 1070mq laptop to hold me over until the next nvidia series.

All this talk about $1500 3080ti. I truly believe AMD is coming guns blazing with Big Navi with a competetive price just like Ryzen so Nvidia will NOT get away with charging that much. Look what happened with Intel. They had to cut their prices in half. I'm going to pick whatever top tier card gives the best performance without getting completely ripped off. I could have bought a 2080ti no problem but refuse to get bent over a barrel.

All this talk about $1500 3080ti. I truly believe AMD is coming guns blazing with Big Navi with a competetive price just like Ryzen so Nvidia will NOT get away with charging that much. Look what happened with Intel. They had to cut their prices in half. I'm going to pick whatever top tier card gives the best performance without getting completely ripped off. I could have bought a 2080ti no problem but refuse to get bent over a barrel.

Let’s hope this is true but I suspect Big Navi will be like 5% slower than 3080 and only cost $50 less. 3080 ti will probably still be north of $1000. I wouldn’t go into this generation with expectations of low prices at the high end from either gpu company. I plan to sell my 2080 ti and grab a 3080 ti but I’m not sure if I’ll get the nvidia founders edition or wait on third party builds—plus I water cool mine so I’ll need an EK block too.

I really don't want to spend more than around $400 for a new video card. I spent that for my GTX 1070 and if the RTX 3070 ends up being closer to $600 then I'd rather look at what AMD is going to be offering. I ran an AMD HD 7970 before the GTX 1070.
I'll go with whomever offers the best value in the $400 price range.

I really don't want to spend more than around $400 for a new video card. I spent that for my GTX 1070 and if the RTX 3070 ends up being closer to $600 then I'd rather look at what AMD is going to be offering. I ran an AMD HD 7970 before the GTX 1070.
I'll go with whomever offers the best value in the $400 price range.
I've been using the stable release windows drivers and have had a good experience even factoring the higher heat in my RX580. Looking forward to best value over 2080ti performance.

I'm trying to be patient. I'm rocking my 2500K rig that was built in 2011. Only upgrades since then have been SSD's and 1 video card upgrade (GTX 670). I upgraded my monitor to a LG 27850GL back in May in anticipation of building a new system and then realized it was kind of a terrible time to do so with new CPU's and video cards around the corner. While I wait for the new cards, my goal is to try to work on my Steam backlog with older games my current system can handle. I'll wait to see benchmarks from both Red and Green and then make a decision on which card to get.

Going for a new full build once Zen 3 and new GPU's from red/green are released. Planning on a $5k build.

I will be getting a 3xxx series card. The question is which and the answer is we'll find out a month or three after release once the price stabilises and drivers firm up a bit.
I want:
  • cuda
  • nvc++
  • nvenc
  • rtxvoice
  • RTX

I can't get these on AMD.

There seems to be increase in the pace of leaks now (accurate or not) -- As guessing goes -- the models (naming and vram) could look like this (what about pricing, where does everyone think pricing is going this time around?):

Titan 3090 with 24GB (perfect way to put a number to Titan series)
3080 with 10GB
2070 with 8GB

All with August launch with Sept Release (founders) followed month later by:

3080 Ti with 20GB
and rest of top line up...

with Sept launch and Oct Release (founders) Would not be surprising to see 1 or 2 (maybe Asus Ti) AIB cards do promo launch with founders cards.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1292808003897311232

Last edited:
There seems to be increase in the pace of leaks now (accurate or not) -- As guessing goes -- the models (naming and vram) could look like this (what about pricing, where does everyone think pricing is going this time around?):

Titan 3090 with 24GB (perfect way to put a number to Titan series)
3080 with 10GB
2070 with 8GB

All with August launch with Sept Release (founders) followed month later by:

2080 Ti with 20GB
and rest of top line up...

with Sept launch and Oct Release (founders) Would not be surprising to see 1 or 2 (maybe Asus Ti) AIB cards do promo launch with founders cards.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1292808003897311232

3080 20GB Flounders version in October sounds like it's meant expressly to counter Big Navi which will have 16GB. I think we can therefore infer that Big Navi will likely only be around 3080 (not Ti) performance, which is fine as I'm hoping for a well-priced 2080 Ti-level option, not a ludicrously expensive top-end card.

3800x @4.35 GHz
32GB 3600mhz DDR4
GTX 1080 FE @ +120core/ +400memory
27” HP Omen 2560x1440 144hz GSYNC

I mainly play CoD Warzone. With all settings set to the lowest and AA to Filmic 2x TXAA I get around 120-130 FPS. If I set everything to max with Filmic 2x TXAA I get around 70-90 FPS.

I’m hoping with a 3080 on lowest settings I can reach 180-200fps or max settings around 120+. Yes I will be overclocking the Ampere card to try and squeeze every possible gains I can get out of it.

Just ordered a new power supply (I'm nudging the top end of my current one) and getting ready to order some fittings to temporarily plumb the GPU out of my loop. Gonna try to snag a 3080ti on launch day. Not sure what I'll do with my 1080ti...

Reactions: Mylex
like this
Just ordered a new power supply (I'm nudging the top end of my current one) and getting ready to order some fittings to temporarily plumb the GPU out of my loop. Gonna try to snag a 3080ti on launch day. Not sure what I'll do with my 1080ti...

What do you need? I have a pair of quick disconnects I can't use (BitsPower). Didn't realize how big they were, won't fit in my case as I planned.

What do you need? I have a pair of quick disconnects I can't use (BitsPower). Didn't realize how big they were, won't fit in my case as I planned.
Sure do appreciate the offer, but all I need is some ZMT and some compression fittings. That is assuming I don't just pop a Hyper 212 on the CPU and just run on air for a bit. =)

Back