Who's making moves to get ready for the new release of cards?

Mylex

Gawd
Last week sold my Strix 2080 locally, plan on using my backup card which is an RX580 until I see what the new cards look like. I went 2080ti initially with this last round but disappointment with RTX I down graded to a 2080 strix after space invaders was given to me for free. Sad thing I will probably go top card again but upgrade to 4k gaming if I can find a 32inch 4k monitor with HDR. Anyone else selling off before the price dip caused by announcements?

I don't really have a back-up option and I still want to see some benchmarks/specs before I fully commit. HDMI 2.1 being one of those things of particular interest. If the 3080 doesn't have it, I might just hold out for whatever is coming next year.
I'm sure I'll leave a little money on the table, but I've moved plenty of video cards on Craigslist after a card announcement.

I'll see what comes up for sale here. Rocking a 1060 right now. Its been fine, but if the right deal comes up I'll see about a 2080.

I've listed my RTX 2080 Super (Gaming X Trio) locally on Kijiji, and have gotten some nibbles, but no bites (with a lot of trolls). Plan is to grab a Nvidia 3000-series (or Radeon 6000-series) that's equivalent to a 2080 TI but in a smaller form factor than my current GPU. With that said, depending which way reviews and prices go, I might just opt for a RTX 2080 TI if the price gets low enough.

I don't have much for a backup GPU (R9 380 iirc), but usually rely on a console for my gaming fix between GPU upgrades.

No moves being made here. I’m just hoping they pop up on Dell.com before my $700+ in rewards expire.

I decided to do nothing. I got my current card (2080 ti) at an excellent price and selling it now would mean buying something like a 1080ti as a stopgap. It is likely the card I would buy won't be readily available until the end of year so I'll just wait and see. If the prices are exorbitant then I may wait even longer.

I'm sure we will see similar prices as people (me included) complained but still opened their wallets up and cards were constantly out of stock. AMD wanted to charge more for their 5700xt but it didn't compare well to the 70 super so they took a step back. Even if they compare well prices we are seeing are here to stay.

I'm sure we will see similar prices as people (me included) complained but still opened their wallets up and cards were constantly out of stock. AMD wanted to charge more for their 5700xt but it didn't compare well to the 70 super so they took a step back. Even if they compare well prices we are seeing are here to stay.
And remember that the reason for that is because the cost per transistor is not going down significantly with each new node process.

I'm not sure if I should make a move or not. I'm mostly happy with my 1080Tis, but I think if I could get +25-30% @ 1440p for $400 (maybe RTX 3060?) I'd probably jump on it. If 1080Ti+30% performance is $500 then....maybe.

if it's $700 like 2080/super/1080Ti @ Launch, then I'm passing.

I'm not sure if I should make a move or not. I'm mostly happy with my 1080Tis, but I think if I could get +25-30% @ 1440p for $400 (maybe RTX 3060?) I'd probably jump on it. If 1080Ti+30% performance is $500 then....maybe.

if it's $700 like 2080/super/1080Ti @ Launch, then I'm passing.
I think I would bite for even 2080ti +20% for $800. If the top card launched hit an impossible to me 40% I wouldn't even care on the price, take my money.

I'm fine on my 1070 until the new cards get here. Probably a smart move to sell your 2080 before any concrete info makes its way out since the resale value of Turing cards is likely to drop like a rock.

And now we wait and hope that AMD will force prices down a bit, rather than raising theirs to match nVidia.

I'm fine on my 1070 until the new cards get here. Probably a smart move to sell your 2080 before any concrete info makes its way out since the resale value of Turing cards is likely to drop like a rock.

And now we wait and hope that AMD will force prices down a bit, rather than raising theirs to match nVidia.

It depends. When Turing launched at absurd pricing, Pascal actually got a boost in price. 1080Ti's were around $475 prior to the Turing launch. Afterward, they were pushing $550-575. I canceled my 2080 preorder and just bought a used 1080Ti, but then sold it for more than I paid for it a few months later.

My problem was even with it being custom 2080 its not too far performance wise from a 2070 super and its not a 2080 super(I know it's barely faster) those I thought would kill my resale value more with the announcements.

Last week sold my Strix 2080 locally, plan on using my backup card which is an RX580 until I see what the new cards look like. I went 2080ti initially with this last round but disappointment with RTX I down graded to a 2080 strix after space invaders was given to me for free. Sad thing I will probably go top card again but upgrade to 4k gaming if I can find a 32inch 4k monitor with HDR. Anyone else selling off before the price dip caused by announcements?

The problem is, what do you do if you don't have a backup GPU? I have a 2080 Ti right now but I don't even know what to buy as a backup card? New cards are pretty expensive right now, and a 10 series card or previous gen RX you have to worry about refurbished cards that previously died or cards that were used for mining. Plus if you even think about it, you are basically paying launch prices for 2016 cards. You've got 1070 Tis going for like $350 on ebay. It's so depressing right now lol.

Last edited:
It depends. When Turing launched at absurd pricing, Pascal actually got a boost in price. 1080Ti's were around $475 prior to the Turing launch. Afterward, they were pushing $550-575. I canceled my 2080 preorder and just bought a used 1080Ti, but then sold it for more than I paid for it a few months later.
I did the same actually. Sold my 1080ti, added $50 to it and bought a 2080 super at microcenter. I couldnt believe what people were willing to pay for a 1080ti. And that was probably 3 months after the 2080 super was released. It was def worth a $50 price difference at the time.

Last edited:
The problem is, what do you do if you don't have a backup GPU? I have a 2080 Ti right now but I don't even know what to buy as a backup card? New cards are pretty expensive right now, and a 10 series card or previous gen RX you have to worry about refurbished cards that previously died or cards that were used for mining. Plus if you even think about it, you are basically paying launch prices for 2016 cards. You've got 1070 Tis going for like $350 on ebay. It's so depressing right now lol.
I would say anyone with a 2080ti is in a hard position. We don't know how much of a boost you guys will get, I just know I will get a significant one and since I'm ready to upgrade to 4k this maybe an easy choice for me. As far as backup cards simple answer if you aren't lazy, Amazon has 30 day returns, buy a card directly from Amazon use it for 20 something days take the 2 minutes to start a return then drop it off at your local Amazon return spot. Khols for me, I did this waiting for my 2080 to get here after returning my 2080ti. I saw this RX580 on offer up for $75 and thought it was worth it.

Is there anyone here on something other than hi end Pascal or turing?😁no wonder prices nt going dwn, y'all upgrade everytime nvidia makes something! Literally every other person posting here has either 1080ti or 2080 or 2080ti.😂

Edit: except snoblikat and Westwood arakis
I do still have a 2GB 960 and 750 and a R9 270x or two.

I did the same actually. Sold my 1080ti, added $50 to it and bought a 2080 super at microcenter. I could t believe what people were willing to pay for a 1080ti.

How much did you get, and which card did you sell?

I had my 1080 Ti up for sale locally for about a week before someone bought it. Initially listed it for $500 (I knew people would haggle). Then, I dropped it to $450, since no one was serious. It sat at $450 for a few days until a guy offered me $420 for it. The only reason I sold it was because I picked up a mint Radeon 5700 for $200 locally, which is holding me off just fine. I figure I'll get my $200 back out of it once I snag a 3xxx series card, so it was a free rental. I loved my 1080 Ti, but since I preordered the new HP Reverb G2 headset, I know I'll need more horsepower to push it. I figured I might as well get the most out of the 1080 Ti, while I could. $420 locally is equivalent to about $500 on ebay, after fees and shipping, and no BS to put up with.

That's dirty. Feels wrong if there's nothing wrong with the card..🤔
They have multiple reasons from not needed any more to found a better price plus others that say there is an issue with the card. You saying its not needed still allows it to be sold again. This works on new or open items. Choose an open one that wouldn't be de-valued by you returning.

Last edited:
I would say anyone with a 2080ti is in a hard position. We don't know how much of a boost you guys will get, I just know I will get a significant one and since I'm ready to upgrade to 4k this maybe an easy choice for me. As far as backup cards simple answer if you aren't lazy, Amazon has 30 day returns, buy a card directly from Amazon use it for 20 something days take the 2 minutes to start a return then drop it off at your local Amazon return spot. Khols for me, I did this waiting for my 2080 to get here after returning my 2080ti. I saw this RX580 on offer up for $75 and thought it was worth it.

We're not. It's likely the 2080 ti will still be a great card for a while and I'd say chances are people who could afford them already have enough disposable income to buy the 3080 ti. I do think the people who passed on turing will benefit the most since there really weren't that many RTX enabled games and now you will likely play them at 100+ fps easily on these new cards.

Well, I guess it's one of those 'unethical' reasons perhaps. If taco bought new, returned and got all money back, the item returned can no longer be sold as new. Someone had to take monetary loss..

Maybe taco over-thinking..
Don't think it's over thinking, if I know this is my intention I would get the open box card. On the other hand I bought my 2080 from them with a game bundled, they sent out a batch of bad codes(mine included), the fix was to have me and all affected return our cards so they could generate new codes. There was a flood of like new Strix 2080s. I want to say it was either battlefield v or anthem. Both terrible reasons for all those card returns.

We're not. It's likely the 2080 ti will still be a great card for a while and I'd say chances are people who could afford them already have enough disposable income to buy the 3080 ti. I do think the people who passed on turing will benefit the most since there really weren't that many RTX enabled games and now you will likely play them at 100+ fps easily on these new cards.
I'm referring to people like me that likes to sell off their old hardware to offset the price. I can easily buy it and anything else without but I don't want something to collect dust with that value just declining steadily.

I'm referring to people like me that likes to sell off their old hardware to offset the price. I can easily buy it and anything else without but I don't want something to collect dust with that value just declining steadily.

Well wouldn't any back up card you keep be doing just that? Or are you saying the 2080 ti owners will lose more than previous gens when trying to sell to offset the price?

Well wouldn't any back up card you keep be doing just that? Or are you saying the 2080 ti owners will lose more than previous gens when trying to sell to offset the price?
Just about anything saved as a backup or spare will lose value upto a point. My card is a cheap one that I would say for me under $200 I can put it on a shelf and let it depreciate. A 2080ti , if I new I was upgrading wouldn't be left as a backup. I think 2080ti owners that know they want to upgrade and sell are in the tightest spot for when to make that sale. Too late and you could lose a larger amount compared to someone with a 2080 or even 2070. The main problem is the higher starting cost and perceived value vs the new stuff.

A card worth $100 now might drop to $75-$80 later this year. A card worth $800 now might drop to $5-600 later this year. It's the difference between losing $20 or $200

A card worth $100 now might drop to $75-$80 later this year. A card worth $800 now might drop to $5-600 later this year. It's the difference between losing $20 or $200

Yeah but my point was more that that is pretty typical even of past gens. GTX 970 have been around 100 bucks for forever.

Im just happy Ill be hitting 144fps or more with higher setting.. My 1080 has done its job. Its time to retire it to someone who can use it. Got a Cousin with a RX580 8Gb. Ill just sell it to him for $100.

I think I would bite for even 2080ti +20% for $800. If the top card launched hit an impossible to me 40% I wouldn't even care on the price, take my money.

Well if the 3080 rumors of 305 W 4352 CUDA cores are true, then it's basically a 2080 Ti clocked to the hilt. You would basically be paying $800 for a 2080 Ti Kingpin card with an HDMI 2.1 port. For a 20% increase in power consumption I would hope it would be at least 20% faster.

Well if the 3080 rumors of 305 W 4352 CUDA cores are true, then it's basically a 2080 Ti clocked to the hilt. You would basically be paying $800 for a 2080 Ti Kingpin card with an HDMI 2.1 port. For a 20% increase in power consumption I would hope it would be at least 20% faster.

I'll bet you'll be getting quite a bit more than a raw performance increase. I would not be surprised if RT performance is around 70% faster. NVENC also makes nice strides in terms of both performance and quality from generation to generation and that's just improvements on existing technologies.

I'll bet you'll be getting quite a bit more than a raw performance increase. I would not be surprised if RT performance is around 70% faster. NVENC also makes nice strides in terms of both performance and quality from generation to generation and that's just improvements on existing technologies.

This exactly... I assume the RT performance of the 3080 will be substantial over the 2080Ti.

Exactly. I could see a ~$900-1100 2080Ti being a $550-600 card and the 2080 being a $350-400 based on price leaks and the leaked specs up and down the lineup. It absolutely makes sense to offload one now rather than later IF you are betting that the 3XXX performance is going to be significantly better. It sounds like Nvidia is planning a 3070 with similar specs to the 2080 Super for $400-500. Throw in an assumed RTX improvement and lower power consumption, and I wouldn't even give someone $350 for a 2080 Super.

I'll rock a 5700 flashed to XT for now until I see how the dust settles. Sold my 2080 Super months ago.

I’m still using my 1080 Ti and will probably wait for you guys to test a few of the new cards before I bite. I have $1500 in Amazon rewards sitting in my account and waiting to be used, but that doesn’t mean I’ll go for the top card either. I’ll play it by ear to decide and may even elect to stick with my 1080 Ti another generation.

I'm not doing any planning either. It feels like I just purchased my 2080 Ti not that long ago and paid a premium price, so letting that go to buy another premium priced card in less than a year is not something I'm interested in. I understand we all get the upgrade bug, but if these prices continue on video cards then I'm out for a while. It took me a long time to finally purchase my current card not based on funds but on the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mylex
like this
I’m still using my 1080 Ti and will probably wait for you guys to test a few of the new cards before I bite. I have $1500 in Amazon rewards sitting in my account and waiting to be used, but that doesn’t mean I’ll go for the top card either. I’ll play it by ear to decide and may even elect to stick with my 1080 Ti another generation.

$1500 might not buy the top card if Nvidia has anything to say about it :eek:

Well if the 2070 Ti is 3072 CUDA cores like the recent reveal, I guess Nvidia's strategy is to price a 2080 Super class card at the same price as the consoles, and basically make any current gamer have to choose between $500 for a next gen console or $500 for a GPU that's equivalent to what's in the consoles. Since most 2020 AV receivers will only have a single HDMI 2.1 port, it's likely they figure most people this year are just going to decide on buying either a console or a new GPU, not both, so meh, why not milk it for all its worth.

Back