Who's left crunching f@h?

Unfortunately, I was not motivated by the official announcement of them dropping BA. That in addition to rising data center costs caused me to shut down for the time being. I may be back up. I may not. I'll certainly stick around here. The people have been great and the information invaluable. :)

Just looked at the Team Summary, and there are only 325 active folders left on Team 33. I remember the glory days, not even just a couple years ago when there were well over a thousand active members...sad... :(

Ax

I had to stop with my little bit of input due to high electric bills that I just couldn't afford anymore being a single income family. Had fun while I did it though ...

Just looked at the Team Summary, and there are only 325 active folders left on Team 33. I remember the glory days, not even just a couple years ago when there were well over a thousand active members...sad... :(

Ax

I shut down the BA folders for now, but couldn't quite make myself shut down the v7 client doing SMP units...

Quit my job and was unemployed for 3 months... Had to cut back, and given the changes from Pandegroup, pretty much lost all my motivation to help these ungrateful fucks...

I finally had to stop for the summer, my BA rig is in my work office and the current summer temperatures push the temperature in the office above the comfortable limit.

I will probably crunch a few BA units over the rest of the summer, let the BA box kick in again in the autumn. Once BA dies, I'll have to look into what I will do with the BA box and folding in general.

I have a pair of 4P folders that I'll keep folding until BA goes away, then we'll see.

I posted for the first time over at the folding forums around this whole BA thing, and then grew quickly tired of all the bullshit. I fold, if only because I've been folding since '04 and habit keeps me going I suppose. I'm almost in the top 100 for the team (which is a far cry frm being in the top twenty a decade ago...) and I hope to get there before BA goes away.

But yeah, threads like this are depressing. "Things end badly, otherwise they wouldn't end." - Brian Flanagan

I had to stop due to the summer heat, but will most likely resume in September or October once it cools down.
Hopefully the F@H drama will cool down as well, I don't think anyone is happy with that.

I had to stop due to the summer heat, but will most likely resume in September or October once it cools down.
Hopefully the F@H drama will cool down as well, I don't think anyone is happy with that.

Hopefully the new ocores will come to fruition and get optimised for server grade CPU rigs. They are targeting GPUs first and making good progress

I sidelined my five 4Ps, as well as my GPU rigs, for the past few months due to electric bills and my dog's chemotherapy costs (~$1.2-$2k/mth).

Now that she's done, I'll probably spin 2-3 back up and run them until the 4P Armageddon date. After that, virtual hosting for most of them unless F@H changes their mind.

until the 4P Armageddon date
Hey brother, that's my plan. We'll see what January brings. Maybe it will be FAH...maybe it will be jumping on the BOINC wagon.

These are my plans as well

I've had to shut down one of my rigs as well due to the heat, my other 2 are still cranking away though.
Also hoping that proteener delivers on the promise of better cpu scaling for his projects

I've had to shut down one of my rigs as well due to the heat, my other 2 are still cranking away though.
Also hoping that proteener delivers on the promise of better cpu scaling for his projects

Im pretty sure that is on the very far back burner at this point in time, but it may be classified as soon. :eek:

It doesn't look as if we will maintain the top spot for long; EVGA is slated to pass us in just four days from now. With the retirement of so many from F@H, for various reasons, I don't see how we could retake the top spot.

It doesn't look as if we will maintain the top spot for long; EVGA is slated to pass us in just four days from now. With the retirement of so many from F@H, for various reasons, I don't see how we could retake the top spot.

Yeah, this will be the final time we'll hold it. :( A sad day for the mighty Horde, indeed...

I am back with a small contribution running the chrome client on my work machine.

Not much of a title to hold when the champ throws the it on the ring floor and walks out...

Not much of a title to hold when the champ throws the it on the ring floor and walks out...

... walks out... to BOINC where we outperform Crunching@EVGA (# 24 vs #39 based on RAC, #56 vs #65 based on points) globally... and we will pass them in GPUGrid in less than 80 days.

Last edited:

Sounds like someone is quoting some IRC goodness.. :D Oh... and I will be trying the Chrome browser deal at work to see if we are blocking it or not. Only so much I can run on the work setup, so if it doesn't work out, it will remain a GIMPS/SOB rig for me...lol

Sounds like someone is quoting some IRC goodness.. :D Oh... and I will be trying the Chrome browser deal at work to see if we are blocking it or not. Only so much I can run on the work setup, so if it doesn't work out, it will remain a GIMPS/SOB rig for me...lol

I've found I can run the chrome client but it seems actual WU updates are blocked through the corporate firewall. :(

I've found I can run the chrome client but it seems actual WU updates are blocked through the corporate firewall. :(

I am experiencing this as well at the moment and looking to see if there is a way around it without any tweaking of the firewall....

I think it was a common sentiment... I just liked your phrasing... just didn't remember who said it. :rolleyes:

There is absolutely nothing special about being #1 with that project.

Maybe not now, but it used to be... It's a shame how things have turned out, and I know the blame falls on VJ and the FF group, but as a long standing folder for both F@H and G@H it's just sad to witness firsthand. :(

Mornin' fellas. As one who has been on the "other team" when EVGA and HardOCP had our great competitions, I miss that quite a bit. In the next few days, when the positions change (in Folding), it will not be the same as when we all were giving it everything we had. Those days were real competition and a heck of a lot of fun too.

I don't Fold anymore either and with summer heat had to shut down Crunching too. Like many of you, I finally just lost interest in supporting PG, but have never lost interest in our work to solve diseases.

So, I say let our two teams meet in whatever field(s) and compete like we used to do. If that "field" is Crunching, that's OK by me or whatever future field(s) we migrate toward. The competition between these two great teams is something that I will never forget and we have accomplished a lot of good while doing it. All the best to HardOCP and all the other teams that still dedicate themselves to helping others. :cool:

Mornin' fellas. As one who has been on the "other team" when EVGA and HardOCP had our great competitions, I miss that quite a bit.

So, I say let our two teams meet in whatever field(s) and compete like we used to do. If that "field" is Crunching, that's OK by me or whatever future field(s) we migrate toward. The competition between these two great teams is something that I will never forget and we have accomplished a lot of good while doing it. All the best to HardOCP and all the other teams that still dedicate themselves to helping others. :cool:

I am sure Gilthanis will make a proper statement once our internal discussion in the other thread yields some clear direction(s) !

However, I would like to say how much I agree with what you wrote, I miss the excitment of the competition with EVGA, and the global combined output our two teams was never as high as when the challenge was driving everybody to produce more. I hope one of the directions we will go is GPUGRID because, once GROMACS is live, both teams will be able to bring most of their GPU/CPU toys to the party (AMD excluded).

texinga, thank you for the friendly visit and encouraging thoughts. We are in a transition that is very difficult to hold on to our members as they have lost a lot of their enthusiasm. I am hoping that we as a team come up with a happy solution.

Nicolas_orleans, I too like GPUGrid, but their lack of work units is the major issue for me. They only recently started offering CPU work, and even some of the GPU work runs dry. MT looks promising but is still very early stages. If they can add more work, I would certainly push for that project. But since lack of work can be very discouraging, we need to make our focus where there is enough for all. With that said, I will repeat myself... even if we have an official project, we will still have many members contribute elsewhere. We are [H] after all. :cool:

Mornin' fellas. As one who has been on the "other team" when EVGA and HardOCP had our great competitions, I miss that quite a bit. In the next few days, when the positions change (in Folding), it will not be the same as when we all were giving it everything we had. Those days were real competition and a heck of a lot of fun too.

:cool:

Hi Tex, once BA is over and everyone is on a level playing field the competition will get tougher again - We have very few BA folders left, probably a lot less than EVGA, I for one will be coming at EVGA with all guns blazing:D

Hi Tex, once BA is over and everyone is on a level playing field the competition will get tougher again - We have very few BA folders left, probably a lot less than EVGA, I for one will be coming at EVGA with all guns blazing:D

Do it my Bro...that's the kind of talk that added "spice" to our competitive escapades in the past. :D

Maybe one day soon we can all hammer away at each others scores like we used to, and tweak the crap out of hardware to get there. Granted, before the Bigadv debacle, EVGA had little chance of an overtake, but HardOCP's achievement was still there to be sought. That's what we need to find again...a fresh (and compelling) gauntlet to be thrown down. Where teams are again willing to move hell, heaven and earth (and have fun) trying to be the top-dog in DC. Maybe it won't ever return, maybe it was a huge flash in the DC pan, but I'd sure like to see it again someday. :cool:

You can't go back, son.

Like heater core based cooling setups and dremel mods, I have the feeling that we've reached the high water mark for [H] DC and people will have moved on to other things. The king is dead. Long live the king.

Dead? No. Certainly not as powerful as it once was (at least in F@H.) 17M ppd is far from dead though - that is still #4 (if CureCoin counts as a team - I am glad we won't be participating in that argument - Google, anyone?)

I'll be running some kind of DC project this fall. My basement would just be too cold without it. I'll probably fire FAH back up for a while at least.

Dead? No. Certainly not as powerful as it once was (at least in F@H.) 17M ppd is far from dead though - that is still #4 (if CureCoin counts as a team - I am glad we won't be participating in that argument - Google, anyone?)

Now you also have foldingcoin.net (FLDC) to contend with.

I am fine with all of that. If you believe in the F@H project itself (which I do), anything to get more people involved is a great thing. The traditional folding teams aren't going to like it because they can't compete (for now at least) with these pay-for-folding "teams". They do get a lot of science done though, and that is the important thing.

I also think that this Google Chrome native client is a great thing - I actually run it on a couple boxes I have set up at home and feel that it is a huge step in the right direction mainly because it is simple to set up.

Hello, just found this forum, I am the Founder of FoldingCoin. @Musky is correct, the amount of computational power is stupid high in the altcoin world, potentially ten times as strong as the FAH network. The reason is most people want to be rewarded for things that they do. This is not necessarily a bad thing, all the doctors that benefit from FAH do not take a 30k a year salary. So why not pay the FAH community in some form of currency, it can also bring not only the mining community on board, but the non computer community if this coin is to rise up and be something useful and valuable. We are working hard on making this the currency of MeetUp groups to use at their meetings. If we dont find a use for the coin, it will just be another useless pump and dump game.

Also we are currently developing some form of code to allow any user to be paid in FLDC, not just thoose on team 226728. We understand that people do not want to loss their spots and hard earned credits on their current team. We also do not wish to breakup these communities. The number one goal is to make all this wasted energy on altcoins utilized better by coming on board with FAH. Please read this blog that i wrote for the ltb network http://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/foldingcoiu

Back