Who's left crunching f@h?

I'm still folding. About to hit 15 million in the next month or so (after almost 9 years).

Never heard of any other things to do (BOINC, etc.) so I'm not sure why I'd want to. I just have F@H running in the background, doing my little bit for science.

i'll be moving my clients back here since the other team I was folding for has been migrating to bitcoin.

i'll do a mini push this weekend.

we should work on some activity.. here keeps things interesting.

we should all consider a shared hosting location to cut down costs..

Power? heat/cooling ?

Some smaller Co locations charge by the rack no matter if your drawing a max power / cooling or not.

A example would be a fixed price for a full rack of gear, that has ups power, and is cooled.

I actually just started. :) About to complete my 100th WU, getting about 25K points per day on my main server, is that good? It is pretty powerful, but I don't really know where to go to compare performance.

As a Type I Diabetic, I understand the need to search for cures to these diseases - glad to be able to help (especially the [H]ardOCP crew as a Texan).

GPUGrid (a BOINC project) recently released some work in regards to anidiabetic drugs. It might be of some interest to you. Give it a look see. If you have the right hardware to run it, I would recommend going that route for a while. :) http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=3756

If you aren't familiar with BOINC, we have an entire thread for it and I have a guide here for installing it: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1768558

Does this require a GPU based solution? I am currently folding on a system with dual Xeon X5675s and 24GB RAM, but there is no GPU really to speak of. Would definitely be interested in helping this project though, just need to better understand I guess what I am doing now with the F@H client vs. BOINC.

Yeah...I think this one is GPU based. They just recently added CPU work and I'm not yet positive on which projects are supported by it. I will check into it and report back shortly.

I'm still running a gpu client on my 670 and getting a little more than my cpu puts out on SMP. I think the only reason i've kept it up is well, because I've folded FAH for just over 9 years now. But honestly with the way the team has gone recently i've thought about hanging it up or switching to something else because I feel like the work isn't as a big a deal as it once was. Maybe boinc is in my future? I might look into it.

PS3 2,812,804,698
Mtnduey 2,812,727,814

Just waiting for the next update....

Missed it by less than 80,000 points!

And it's official!!

Mtnduey 2,812,960,014
PS3 2,812,804,698

Last edited:
Im still around. Ive got a single 2p 6172 running out in the garage. A far cry from my past but still chugging along.

Hello m33pm33p! When are we getting out t-shirts? J/K lol... You should convert that box to BOINC projects and join all of the "cool kids". :cool:

Amazing job MtnDuey! That's an incredible achievement!

I did look at the stats today, and we now have a second team on our threat list. They're cranking out points faster that EVGA ever did, and are looking to overtake the [H] in about 6 months I believe.

Ax

that would be curecoin, we will have to see if they stay around long enough to pose a real challenge

Hello m33pm33p! When are we getting out t-shirts? J/K lol... You should convert that box to BOINC projects and join all of the "cool kids". :cool:

Ill get to the T-Shirts as soon as Im back from my formal court hearing in DC lol...Yay VA..

I've thought about joining the BOINC cause, once I get a bit more time to research I may just do it. I just dont know enough about the projects atm and cancer research is something Im really passionate about. Apparently F@H is going through some growing pains atm though..

Well the good news is that there are both GPU and CPU work for Cancer. You can even run SIMAP (protein work) on ARM devices. So, there certainly are options for you when you are ready. Just jump in our BOINC thread and we will get you going. :)

A BIG but to this, last night on IRC, proteineer alluded to some upcoming work on a new core based on openmm 6.2 which may take away some of the pain. Also posted was the fact that the Nacl client is capable of monstrous PPD on BA hardware.

Once I get my 3rd rig up and running i'll run some tests - current attempts to get Ncal to fold are proving fruitless.

There are various reports that the points system MAY have been changed (no QRB, 125 points for all the returned WUs), so the "monstrous" PPD may not be granted for long. Thread : https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=26388

NaCl is still experimental since there is only one project in the wild since it launched as open beta.

Ok managed to get Nacl running on my daily driver. dual x5670's, 12gb ram and win7 x64.

time taken was 2m45s per WU, inc upload/download 3m30s. that's 18.18 wu an hour and 436.36 WU per day. at 125 points per WU and no QRB that's 54.5k PPD. One thing I did notice was that the client could not peg all cores at 100%, core loading fluctuated between 50 and 85% usage.

so whats the deal now a days has everyone just stopped folding because of the points, i have been gone for a about a year now.

Seems the mods over at the official FF got their panties in a bind and pissed off a lot of people, deleting posts and generally destroyed the whole concept of being productive as forum regulators. Power can corrupt if not handled wisely, and they let it go to their heads.

Ax

so whats the deal now a days has everyone just stopped folding because of the points, i have been gone for a about a year now.
It has been very turbulent for the high producers, including me, with the F@H staff and their representatives for the past couple of years. Some donors have left the project out of frustration - and I can't blame them. Others, such as me, have remained Folding. There are no 'right' or 'wrong' Folders or ex-Folders.

What is right, is that we, collectively, continue to support good distributed computing projects, of a variety of names and goals. :cool:

It has been very turbulent for the high producers, including me, with the F@H staff and their representatives for the past couple of years. Some donors have left the project out of frustration - and I can't blame them. Others, such as me, have remained Folding. There are no 'right' or 'wrong' Folders or ex-Folders.

What is right, is that we, collectively, continue to support good distributed computing projects, of a variety of names and goals. :cool:

Well said Linden.

I'm still plucking along with my 4P running 24/7 and various other clients running when the house gets cold or I get bored.

I don't post much on message boards or in IRC anymore though (don't have time), and actually, not being in the midst of the drama makes it easier to keep on folding. Then it becomes more about my own person contributions rather than the drama happening everywhere else.

Of course, that'll all change when suddenly my PPD plummets when my 4P loses the ability to crunch bigadv.....

Thanks. Crazy that I've been here for more than 9 years. At least 8 of those have been spent on Team 33.

Last unit submitted was 2011 in June. Summer pause and never started again. Still in the top 1000 for the team, though. I'll start back up when I get bumped to 800th!

With the rise in cryptocurrency and other projects now poking their heads up, you would think F@H would be more appreciative now than ever to have people helping out.

As for BA, while I don't know the specifics, it sounds like F@H wants to prevent people with lower end systems insisting on working on BA projects, which in turn would slow down the project. I don't think that philosophy in general is bad. Sometimes its not about what you tell someone, but how you tell them.

god these threads are depressing

still doing some BOINC...but my heart just isn't in it like before

god these threads are depressing

still doing some BOINC...but my heart just isn't in it like before

Yeah, the forum traffic has fallen to nothing. I have some boxes that just keep crunching away on WCG under BOINC.

Yah... kinda sad...
I am still folding myself as I am reluctant to stop and don't feel like figuring out a whole new program to switch to. Meanwhile in 88th or so place for the last couple of years. Still folding and probably always will... till my lights go out.

Like glados said, still alive. :)

I plan on jumping back in once my new rig is back to being water cooled. Should put out some good numbers. [email protected] and dual and 290s. Think last time I was folding I broke into the top 300s. Been a year or so now though.

Back