Who's in the 16+ GB club?

wazoo42

Gawd
UPDATE2: It looks pretty good with 20GB, or at least memtest is happy.

UPDATE: Well, as I stated 24GB didn't pan out, but it looks like 20GB is doing ok. Now if I could just get my raid controller I'd be set.

I recently got an Iwill dk88 to go with a pair of opteron 275s. Here are a couple of pics with 24GB of ram. Unfortunately it ran into errors with memtest after about 3 hours. Probably from mixing dual rank 2GB pieces with single rank one and two sided 1GB sticks.

dk88_memory.jpg

dk88_post.jpg

dk88_memtest.jpg

dk88_memtest20GB.jpg

dk88_memtest20GB_50hrs.jpg

I'm not part of the 16gb club memory wise but I'm part of the 10tb club storage wise :cool:

wazoo42 said:
I recently got an Iwill dk88 to go with a pair of opteron 275s. Here are a couple of pics with 24GB of ram.
What are you usin' it for?

holy...

i think there are gonna be very few people in this club with you...

Well, we've got some machines in the labs with more than a terabyte of memory. But they're pretty far from being in my office!

I'm a grad student in physical chemistry. This (and the other computers in the cluster) is being used for computational chemistry, ab initio stuff like MOLPRO and Gaussian.

So this isn't really personal... then it doesn't count. *Counts his GS320's sitting here adding up the hundreds of gigs of ram*

Ockie said:
So this isn't really personal... then it doesn't count. *Counts his GS320's sitting here adding up the hundreds of gigs of ram*

Actually I think he bought that with his own dime and they are his own boxes.

Thanks Robstar. I should probably have mentioned that. I did buy all of these with my own money, so whatever I had before is now gone, long gone. :) At least they can keep me warm at night, right?

8Gb (maxed) in a NetServer 6000R at home.
Why? Not sure.. because I had it laying around?

Yeah, I have 16GB in my dual Opteron 275 (dual-core) system. Great setup. 16GB of RAM, four AMD64 cores at 2.2GHZ... nice. That is my work sytem, my home setup is in my sig:

Yeah, the screen is a might dusty. The whole cluster setup is less than ideal (it is on part of an extra table that is too tall to use a chair), so I try not to worry too much about the small stuff (read: I'm lazy).

I think you should lower it to 8GB+.

I will have 8GB soon. Waiting for parts.

Can you show us your system resource (ram) utilization with all your programs runnng?

Only a member of the 3 GB club, but that's a lot of RAM buddy.

What OS are you running on this machine? Some flavor of Linux?

lol, I was looking the other day couldnt find any. As for hotdeals, I dont think they like ebay auctions.

Heck, for that matter, here's an 8GB dimm. I don't know if I'd actually buy it, considering the amount of details given, but it theoretically exists! :D

Holy kajoles, for that price I could buy 80GBs worth of 2 or 4 GB modules :eek: . Jeez, and I thought 2GB was a whole hell of a lot :p

Lord of Shadows said:
lol, I was looking the other day couldnt find any. As for hotdeals, I dont think they like ebay auctions.
you can as long as its avaliable to everyone, so this would be applicable, i think.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, it's only $1549. That's about 15x what a 1gb stick costs, or about 5x what a 2gb stick costs. Five times the cost for four times the capacity seems ridiculously good, given the huge density.

Unless you know somewhere to get 2gb modules for $39? In which case... share! :D

unhappy_mage said:
Unless I'm reading it wrong, it's only $1549. That's about 15x what a 1gb stick costs, or about 5x what a 2gb stick costs. Five times the cost for four times the capacity seems ridiculously good, given the huge density.

SMART Part number Su5721G45D8E8uu. It's a 2.05" 1024x72 (256Mx4) stacked TSOP.

I don't trust that price; that's right around what I pay for ATP 4GBs. SMART makes good DIMMs, and has for many years, but that price is definitely too good to be true. (Not to mention, I don't know any boards that fully support 8GB DIMMs.)

unhappy_mage said:
640K should be enough for anyone.
hearing this statement 640K times should be enough for anyone.

since you didnt specify what kind of club it was, only a capacity, yes, i'm a member. i have way more than 16 GB of hard drive space. :)

my board supports 16 GB of ram, so i'm probably a future member. but right now, we are jealous of you. when i finally max out this board, people will feel sorry for me that i have *only* 16 GB.

Like many have asked, what do you do with all thhat RAM?! I seriously doubt any good use can come of all that RAM...well...at least you're future safe, I guess! :p

Seriously, though, what do you do with it? How does the computer run? Is it anything spectacualr?

Back