Who's Happy So Far with Ryzen 3000 Series?

Just updated the TV PC for some couch gaming with a 3600 and couldn’t agree more. . Been gaming more on that than my main PC.

Are you using an HTPC case or a traditional tower? If the former, what are you using?

It’s an itx system in a Evga Hadron Air that has been stripped out and an sfx psu installed . I’m actually downsizing this to an Sliger SM550 soon.

this pic is before cables werecleaned up but it’s the only photo I have right now to share. 😎
853D7EEE-62BD-49C6-A544-229730E718EC.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm loving my build. This is my third build now 2nd Ryzen. I went from x470 and 2700x to x570 and 3900x. I'm taking a long break now from upgrading the CPU. I'm interested in the new RDNA2 cards though.

Upgraded from a Core i7-6700 (non-K) to a Ryzen 7 3700X last Fall. My primary use case is 1440P gaming, but I occasionally do some heavy Photoshop work. Most notably of my recent Photoshop work was rendering a 3D logo, which took over 2 hours on the Core i7-6700, but just under 1 hour with the Ryzen 7 3700X. So +100% increase in performance is much more than I expected; very delighted. :)

Last edited:
I'm having a lot of issues with my Ryzen 3400G. When I use the latest drivers from the AMD website the GPU spikes from 100% to 0% while I'm at idle doing nothing. When the GPU spikes my mouse stutters it's really annoying. I have a feeling it might be my motherboard though. If I use whatever drivers from Windows Update no issues.

Been using my 3900X since august and it is amazing, heat is a issue but it is solved with a massive cooler, don't think I will be doing a platform update for atleast a few years, will be updating my GFX from a 1070ti to something newer when the next generation of GPU's drop

R9 3900X 12C 24T, boost to 4.2GHz most of the time, Down to 4.0GHz on all core loads.
MSI X570 MEG Unify, Having a issue with the CPU and chipset fan speeds not working right had to lock then to 100% to keep my system from overheating.
32GB of DDR4 3200Mhz, Kingston vengeance
Corsair RMX 850 watt PSU
MSI Titanium 1070 ti, boost to 2.1GHz
500GB Samsung 970 EVO OS Drive

Being forced to work from home and being so happy with my Ryzen 3700X at work I got this to replace my i7 970 workstation which is not really any faster than my i7 6C/12T laptop.
IMG_1655.JPG

Got my PC together just a couple weeks ago. A 3900x and a 2080ti in a X570 Taichi 32gb 3600mhz gskill trident z neo 2tb nvme, 1tb SATA ssd in a Lian li 011 dynamic XL. Upgraded from a 2500k clocked @4.6 with 16gb1866 Mushkin Redline, 7200RPM HDD. The improvements are pretty substantial and I love it BUT the 3900x runs way to hot for the stock cooler. Problem is I love all the customization the stock cooler has for RGB especially the Mirage option. I need something else to tame the beast but I’m putting it off for now and just enjoying the ride.

Yeah that stock cooler is bordeline for a 3900X, I ened up using a noctua NH-D15 to keep mine running cool.

Yeah that stock cooler is bordeline for a 3900X, I ened up using a noctua NH-D15 to keep mine running cool.

If I get time I may test that this weekend. Meaning if building several million lines of c++ code causes the temps to go crazy. I may opt for replacing the stock cooler or see if I can get an AM4 plate for a few year old but never used Corsair watercooling unit.

Are you using an HTPC case or a traditional tower? If the former, what are you using?

I have a 3700x in a NZXT 210i. Kind of big for an HTPC but it has to run VR games. My reference 5700 is kind of loud and warm for this build, though. I can definitely hear it while playing HL Alyx

Being forced to work from home and being so happy with my Ryzen 3700X at work I got this to replace my i7 970 workstation which is not really any faster than my i7 6C/12T laptop.
View attachment 232993
Is that a 3900x or a 3950x. I am impressed with the results from the review of the newer chip but the 3900x was massive overkill for me already.

It's a 3900X. After getting a few things installed I have mostly been copying 100s of GB of c++ source code and development trees from several different SSDs. And I started pushing a full system backup to an unlimited cloud drive I have through work. I will not win any awards for memory timings however I installed 32GB of DDR4 2666 ECC UDIMMs.

Ryzen3900X.png

Last edited:
This was my first Ryzen 5 3600 cpu I bought in Aug 2019 which was a change out from a 1600 AE .. I finally reinstalled windows and it may be faster then my 3700x

If I get time I may test that this weekend. Meaning if building several million lines of c++ code causes the temps to go crazy. I may opt for replacing the stock cooler or see if I can get an AM4 plate for a few year old but never used Corsair watercooling unit.

Temps seem fine while all 24 threads are at 100% while building a large code base like Qt. I have used a non contact thermometer to check motherboard and heat sink temps. All were fine.
Ryen3900X_Qt_Build_Temps.png

Temps seem fine while all 24 threads are at 100% while building a large code base like Qt. I have used a non contact thermometer to check motherboard and heat sink temps. All were fine.
View attachment 233768

You should enable PBO as you would raise those EDC, TDC and PPT limits and get a little more oomph out of it. Probably hit all core of at least 4.15-4.2Ghz. Also what memory are you running and do you have A-XMP enabled. I see your Fabric is real low. If you have at least 3000 or 3200 memory your Infiniti Fabric clock would go to 1500 or 1600Mhz, what you really want is 3600 mem and run the IF and Mem clock at 1800 which is what the processor works best at performance wise.

Love my two 3900X builds.

I will however never support ASUS anymore for what their doing with their TRX40 boards and memory support (lack thereof) for ThreadRipper 3990X. Pretty much they want you to buy their highest $$$ Alpha board in order to get your RAM to run at its rated speed and not stock/jedec speeds (2133 MHz). That's plain old bullshit as no other board manufacturer is doing this type of crap.

You should enable PBO as you would raise those EDC, TDC and PPT limits and get a little more oomph out of it. Probably hit all core of at least 4.15-4.2Ghz. Also what memory are you running and do you have A-XMP enabled. I see your Fabric is real low. If you have at least 3000 or 3200 memory your Infiniti Fabric clock would go to 1500 or 1600Mhz, what you really want is 3600 mem and run the IF and Mem clock at 1800 which is what the processor works best at performance wise.

2x 16GB 2666 DDR4 ECC UDIMMs. Since this is a workstation I want ECC.

I just checked Samsung and they are sampling 16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMMs up to PC4-3200 but 2666 seems to be the highest official speed

Last edited:
Thread bump :)

Decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10 also noticed that Asrock released a new bios with AMD 5000 series support for the X470 Taichi board - includes AGESA 1.1.0.0, an upgrade to 1.0.0.6 that I was running. Highest Cinebench scores I've seen - at least single core wise.

Annotation 2020-12-12 065652.png

It's good but considering the premium I paid over a slightly slower Intel I am not sure if it was worth it.

It's good but considering the premium I paid over a slightly slower Intel I am not sure if it was worth it.

You almost always pay more for the top performing product. Look at how many people bought Intel when they were the top dog even though they could get a slightly slower AMD Ryzen part for somewhat cheaper.

Back