Who's Happy So Far with Ryzen 3000 Series?

I'm happy with my little 3600 for now. Obviously overkill with the CH8, but I plan on putting something else in there eventually (maybe a 3900X when someone upgrades to the 3950? ).

I'm thinking to upgrade from a 4770k @ stock. Is the 3700x really slower @ gaming? Ubuntu 19.04 with GTx 1070 but I may pick up a 3700x or 3900/3950x after the 3950x is out. May also pick up a 5700XT - undecided.
Going from 4770k @ stock to 3700x you will see a big benefit. If you had your CPU heavily overclocked, you would be hard pushed to see a difference in single core. In multi-core, that's a different story, the extra cores are amazing.
You would notice a big difference even with 3600x. Just ask gerardfraser :)

Going from 4770k @ stock to 3700x you will see a big benefit. If you had your CPU heavily overclocked, you would be hard pushed to see a difference in single core. In multi-core, that's a different story, the extra cores are amazing.
You would notice a big difference even with 3600x. Just ask gerardfraser :)

Well actually this is true,I notice difference over my Intel system in gaming.I even have benchmarks,funny for that.
Work post your DXMD benchmark with the same settings as I did,prove how great your intel system is.

Really nice CPU, I got a 3800x upgraded from an Intel 3930K aging and off watercooling from years back (started with 4.4 OC watercooling to 3.8Ghz on air). Love how it gives 130% to 160% single core boost and almost double multi-core ratings.

Well actually this is true,I notice difference over my Intel system in gaming.I even have benchmarks,funny for that.
Work post your DXMD benchmark with the same settings as I did,prove how great your intel system is.

There you go gerardfraser. Wish we had the same graphics though. It’s 1080Ti vs 2080 really.

Avg 73.3 FPS
Min 56.9 FPS
Max 92.2 FPS
1% 60 FPS
0.1% 58 FPS

I will tell you after part two of the upgrade path I have as this is where I start on a rock stable 350B board that cost me $60 and the memory is just kits I got for when on sale at the time = mix matched .. so I drove about 4 hours round trip to get this from Best Buy = XFX 5700 and the 3600 came from a different Best Buy = http://www.3dmark.com/fs/20118869

It just replaced my CX 570 setup and noting overclocked .. I do plan to test the 5700 on my x58 platform that started life with CX 5850 as I know there is still a crowd of us that still exist with it .

There you go gerardfraser. Wish we had the same graphics though. It’s 1080Ti vs 2080 really.

Avg 73.3 FPS
Min 56.9 FPS
Max 92.2 FPS
1% 60 FPS
0.1% 58 FPS

Well my 1080TI's I owned were faster than my RTX 2080's cards I owned when overclocked.See Ryzen is good for gaming.

I tested DXMD on 1080TI on Intel system and AMD system just not with 3600X for both.
EG:Before improvements in Firestrike.GTX 1080TI faster post for compasion

Just for fun 2600X@4400Mhz RTX2080
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/19267784
Desktop-Screenshot-2019-05-17-18-29-38-10-2.png

Just for fun 2600X@4400Mhz GTX1080Ti
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/16628258
Desktop-Screenshot-2019-05-17-18-30-16-38-2.png

This is all I have so far on gaming paired on 350B and I spent $550 plus taxs and feel very pleased as Re Live can't record that smooth like it plays .

Watched ht benchmark part and I have not played this game but it looks good.I tried to sell RTX 2080 card for 5700XT version for two weeks and I could not sell it.I have to get my ass out to the store and buy 5700XT but not the blower style.
How is the noise on the 5700 with I assume the CPU stock cooler on 3600.

Well my 1080TI's I owned were faster than my RTX 2080's cards I owned when overclocked.See Ryzen is good for gaming.

I tested DXMD on 1080TI on Intel system and AMD system just not with 3600X for both.
EG:Before improvements in Firestrike.GTX 1080TI faster post for compasion

Just for fun 2600X@4400Mhz RTX2080
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/19267784
View attachment 179944

Just for fun 2600X@4400Mhz GTX1080Ti
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/16628258
View attachment 179945

Your Ti’s were faster because they were clocked higher than mine.

I’ve never claimed that Ryzen is not good for gaming. All I said was that 3700x I bought was worse than my 4790k in low 1 and 0.1%. As it didn’t meet my expectations I got 9900k in the sale instead.

I’m happy with the glitch free experience of z390 and having the extra OC headroom of 9900k.

I’m not the only one here with similar experience. Hence I stand by my recommendation to buy Intel if you want best gaming experience. For anything else there is Ryzen since it’s very close, but for me it’s not close enough.

For yourself, having won a silicon lottery with your die, I’d be happy as Larry. My die was garbage.

Wow I won the silicone lottery with 2 x 3600X,now how amazing is that.Pretty cool. I agree Intel is fine for gaming.I just prefer my Ryzen system.

OK let's get something straight.
My 3600X under clocked to 4250Mhz is faster than your 9900k overclocked to 5000Mhz at the same settings in the very game you suggested because of Intel's superiority. I also pointed out that My 1080Ti's all of them were faster than my 2080's all of them.
I am glad you recommend Intel gaming because it is not even close,OH Wait you did say close somewhere in your post.This is just getting silly now.

To off topic now ,I will not be replying anymore in this thread.Write any shit you want,I will not even read this thread anymore.

I'm thinking to upgrade from a 4770k @ stock. Is the 3700x really slower @ gaming? Ubuntu 19.04 with GTx 1070 but I may pick up a 3700x or 3900/3950x after the 3950x is out. May also pick up a 5700XT - undecided.

I didn't do explicit comparisons but..
It is absolutely faster at gaming, especially in games that can utilize many cores. My 4790k ran at 4.6-4.7ghz w/ 2400 ram, 3700x is doing around 4275-4300 all core while gaming. My frame rate increase in Playerunknown's Battlegrounds has been significant, GPU stays at 99% load now and I see over 200FPS at times (only using OCed 980Ti / low settings), dips are never enough to cause stutter, which happened often on the 4790k. Far Cry 5 has also gone up to over 100FPS average (1080P medium-ish settings), on the 4790k it was crap and would dip under 60 often in certain areas, usually peaking in the 90s. Haven't played too many other demanding titles yet.

My favorite of all is practicing with bots on CS:GO which I do daily to relax.. I used to have to run the server on another PC and join on my 4790k to keep the frame rate high enough to remain smooth on a 144hz panel, now I can host a server with 20 bots and shoot all day without so much as a jitter.. it's a significantly better CPU.

To off topic now ,I will not be replying anymore in this thread.Write any shit you want,I will not even read this thread anymore.

Ryzen 3900x has 6% slower performance on average compared to 9900k in 36 games tested, no overclock needed. Is 3600x faster than that? Doubt it. The summary is on 7' 27'' mark.

Stock vs. stock, the 3700X would be faster in gaming than a 4770k, by a pretty decent margin. The 3700X is faster than the 7700k in gaming, too. Against the 8700k it's tough to tell. Roughly equivalent, from what I can tell from my deep dive into various reviews. It's slower than the 9700k and 9900k. OC to OC, still faster than a 7700k (and by extension, a 4770k), but loses to 8700k.

Ryzen 3900x has 6% slower performance on average compared to 9900k in 36 games tested, no overclock needed. Is 3600x faster than that? Doubt it. The summary is on 7' 27'' mark.

6% isn't significant enough to recommend a hotter, less efficient and overall slower processor. I wish this meme would die

Stock vs. stock, the 3700X would be faster in gaming than a 4770k, by a pretty decent margin. The 3700X is faster than the 7700k in gaming, too. Against the 8700k it's tough to tell. Roughly equivalent, from what I can tell from my deep dive into various reviews. It's slower than the 9700k and 9900k. OC to OC, still faster than a 7700k (and by extension, a 4770k), but loses to 8700k.

I'm currently playing at 1080p/144hz. Still true?

6% isn't significant enough to recommend a hotter, less efficient and overall slower processor. I wish this meme would die

That's the average. Meaning, it gets better and worse.

Even more true. Intel is pulling higher 'minimum framerates', meaning better overall frametimes, not just faster framerates, so they're not just faster, they're smoother (which is what Dan has found with his reviews too). I'll find it later, but in a select set of current AAA-games, the 9900K was faster than the 3600X and the 3900X at all resolutions tested even with an RX580. With faster GPUs in that test, the Ryzen CPUs fell further behind.

At the same time- if you're goal is just to play games- that 3600X and RX580 still rocked along just fine at 1080p, and the 5700 tested was also fine at 1440p.

If the differences between these CPUs are enough to matter in benchmarks, you'd want to be specific to your use case before flipping the coin one way or the other.

Personally- if higher framerates are not needed and there aren't known aberrations with expected workloads (like the stuff with Destiny 2), I'll take more cores for the same price every time. But generally, I'd just spend less.

Watched ht benchmark part and I have not played this game but it looks good.I tried to sell RTX 2080 card for 5700XT version for two weeks and I could not sell it.I have to get my ass out to the store and buy 5700XT but not the blower style.
How is the noise on the 5700 with I assume the CPU stock cooler on 3600.

I don't mind going 5800 Ultra mode as it's out the back like old days .. but I plan to build a fan profile with Wattman as every room in the world is not the same and understanding AMD has to build for that in the profile as one fits all mode is common scents in a way of thinking that it needs adjustments and also I play with headset on = Wife Issues

The 3600 has a Gammaxx 300 on in it but in old age (52 my hearing is not as good) .. but reason I got the 5700 was it got with in 47 miles of me as only one for sale = got have it mode .

Combined Score
9 448
The 5700 should not be that much more powerful then a 1080Tior 2080 at stock speeds on a $60 mother board = What does it show with your 3600x for Combined Score ?

https://valid.x86.fr/bench/pu8tl8/12

edit .. AB is up for data running DX 12 with extra 2Gb High textures in 1080p

Last edited:

Yes. The results I discussed are explicitly for 1080p. In 1080p gaming, the 3700X is faster than a 4770k and a 7700k both stock and OC. It is slower than a 9700k and a 9900k both stock and OC. It is roughly equivalent to an 8700k (stock), but loses to a max overclocked 8700k.

It is if you're a > 95% gamer, and don't care about efficiency (and really, how many of us here do?).

Also, while the 3700X is indeed more efficient than the 9900k, it also runs rather hot. The tiny chiplet is difficult to cool. So hard to say that the 9900k is "hotter". In raw thermal energy, probably true. But because of inefficiency in heat dissipation, in raw temperature, the 3700X probably isn't any better than the 9900k.

Last edited:
Never could fix the issue with the GPU fans ramping up at start up, even with the new BIOS (5.50) for my ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC with Ryzen 3700X. Looks like these BIOS don't work well with older generation Ryzens as well, so sounds like I'll just have to deal with it. Kind of disappointing to go for a quiet PC build only for the GPU to run obscenely loud during restarts/boots. :eek:

Aside from that, it looks good. Any basic tips for running PBO? I simply enabled it in my BIOS without changing any other values. Was running stock previously. Will check some game benchmarks and see if my setup will benefit from it.

Never could fix the issue with the GPU fans ramping up at start up, even with the new BIOS (5.50) for my ASRock X370 Killer SLI/AC with Ryzen 3700X. Looks like these BIOS don't work well with older generation Ryzens as well, so sounds like I'll just have to deal with it. Kind of disappointing to go for a quiet PC build only for the GPU to run obscenely loud during restarts/boots. :eek:

Aside from that, it looks good. Any basic tips for running PBO? I simply enabled it in my BIOS without changing any other values. Was running stock previously. Will check some game benchmarks and see if my setup will benefit from it.

PBO is useless at the moment. It provides nothing over the Performance Boost 2 the chips already use. They are thermally limited, and while I would like to see AMD figure out a way to give us a bit more sustained clock speed during lightly threaded loads I am not sure we will get it.

I think AMD is going to do a Tbred A to B moment with Zen3 and the 7nm EUV node.

I’m getting a bug to upgrade my 4790k to a Ryzen platform but with my budget I don’t think I would have a justification for doing so.

Is that really an issue lol? The x299 systems I had did the same thing. They quite down before windows even load.

compiling performance from my 1800x to my 3900x with no software or hardware changes other than the motherboard and cpu (went from x370 to x570) halved compile times on multiple large projects.

Very happy with the 3900x. idle temps are below 30c ...which is also lower than my 1800x @ 75f ambient. Water cooling is certainly needed for sustained 4.2Ghz all core load. And even that really needs the 360mm aio's or a custom loop with a much more powerful water pump than aio's have. My 280mm aio tops out in the 70c's with sustained full load. I'd prefer to see those temps in the 60's but I really dont want to have 4 fans on the heatercore making it sound like a vacuum.

That being said, it is extremely stable it seems even with such huge (nearly 50C) temperature swings. I'd suggest 360mm though if you're buying a whole new setup. At the very least it offers more volume to smooth out and absorb short temp spikes. 280 aio's behave more like heatpipes than traditional water cooling.

compiling performance from my 1800x to my 3900x with no software or hardware changes other than the motherboard and cpu (went from x370 to x570) halved compile times on multiple large projects.

Very happy with the 3900x. idle temps are below 30c ...which is also lower than my 1800x @ 75f ambient. Water cooling is certainly needed for sustained 4.2Ghz all core load. And even that really needs the 360mm aio's or a custom loop with a much more powerful water pump than aio's have. My 280mm aio tops out in the 70c's with sustained full load. I'd prefer to see those temps in the 60's but I really dont want to have 4 fans on the heatercore making it sound like a vacuum.

That being said, it is extremely stable it seems even with such huge (nearly 50C) temperature swings. I'd suggest 360mm though if you're buying a whole new setup. At the very least it offers more volume to smooth out and absorb short temp spikes. 280 aio's behave more like heatpipes than traditional water cooling.

The low flow rate on many AIOs is definitely a concern and one reason no never stopped using a custom loop like many did once decent 280/360mm AIOs hit the market for ~$100...

Bring able to drag my components from build to build was the other. If I need more cooling it was as single as increase my fan speeds or add another rad if I want to keep the noise down (as I do!)...

My current loop is going to be bananas level overkill...I have a single 3700x and went from triple VEGA 56s/dual VIIs to a single 5700xt 50th anniversary.

Happy so far. Upgrading from a 2500K @ 4.2GHZ so its a massive jump. Had that 2500K for 6-7 years now.... It was time. Anyways with new products comes a learning curve. Took me a few weeks to get everything dialed in but now that I do this thing is smoking. Might need to go back and finish SC2 and all the Expansions and a few other games. I think my next upgrade is gonna be a new 1440P 144HZ IPS monitor and a new GPU next year. Should pair nicely with the 3600.

Current Ram Setup.PNG

best 3dmark run.PNG

Last edited:
I've been very happy with my performance upgrade from a Ryzen 1600 to the new 3600. I just hope MSI drops a new bios soon that maybe drops voltages a bit. With no PBO running handbrake I am hitting 85c with a Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim cooler. I know it's not a monster cooler but it's rated for 120 watt TDP so I was hoping it would do a little better.

one of the downsides of smaller die size is that tdp is focused in a smaller and smaller area every generation.

tdp ratings for heatsinks likely do not take that into consideration at all. Likely tested with the heat spread out over the full surface of the heatsink (or best case, the size of the cpu contact area).

Would be interesting to see if this 7nm generation and future 5nm finally forces some new developments in cpu cooler tech that can better pull that heat way from the tiny areas they're being consolidated into.

I'm happy with my little 3600 for now. Obviously overkill with the CH8, but I plan on putting something else in there eventually (maybe a 3900X when someone upgrades to the 3950? ).

I'm actually thinking about doing the same, 3600 + CH8. From what I can see, there's nothing in it when it comes to gaming performance between the 3600, 3600x, 3700x and the 3900x.

I don't do any production workloads. So it feels like the 3600 (non x) makes most sense.

I'm actually thinking about doing the same, 3600 + CH8. From what I can see, there's nothing in it when it comes to gaming performance between the 3600, 3600x, 3700x and the 3900x.

I don't do any production workloads. So it feels like the 3600 (non x) makes most sense.

I mean you can get something cheaper like an older B450/X470 board and have the same experience. I sold off all my stuff so I didn't have a board and went big. I mean it's a $380 board. You can "get by" with one $200-250 cheaper and wouldn't notice the difference.

Intel is just plug and play it will work from go with high refresh gaming. The bare minimum you should consider is an 8700k.

If you go Ryzen 3, you'll need to tinker/tune your memory to get Intel platform performance. If you do that, yes, you can do 1080p high refresh with a 3600. If you *don't* tune your memory, you wont get there for less than $400 (reliably).

Reactions: Work
like this
Intel is just plug and play it will work from go with high refresh gaming. The bare minimum you should consider is an 8700k.

If you go Ryzen 3, you'll need to tinker/tune your memory to get Intel platform performance. If you do that, yes, you can do 1080p high refresh with a 3600. If you *don't* tune your memory, you wont get there for less than $400 (reliably).
6 core/12 thread isn't enough cores for me to upgrade. This is a Linux box.

This is why I'm thinking to jump to 16 core/32 thread 3950x...

I am pretty dang happy with the 3900X. A lot of the micro stutters I saw when I was using the 6700K are now gone.

What I'm not happy about is idle temps with a Noctua NH-U14S, 38~45c . Gaming temps seem to hover around 65c. I read online that the chip runs hot and this is normal temps?

I've been very happy with my performance upgrade from a Ryzen 1600 to the new 3600. I just hope MSI drops a new bios soon that maybe drops voltages a bit. With no PBO running handbrake I am hitting 85c with a Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim cooler. I know it's not a monster cooler but it's rated for 120 watt TDP so I was hoping it would do a little better.
try this. Use an offset for voltage. I run PBO but a .0750 offset which helps alot with temps. Also if your chip is not under volting at idle grab the latest chipset drivers and install. Choose power plan as Ryzen balanced
I mean you can get something cheaper like an older B450/X470 board and have the same experience. I sold off all my stuff so I didn't have a board and went big. I mean it's a $380 board. You can "get by" with one $200-250 cheaper and wouldn't notice the difference.
echo this. Hell a nice 125-150$ b450 is a

try this. Use an offset for voltage. I run PBO but a .0750 offset which helps alot with temps. Also if your chip is not under volting at idle grab the latest chipset drivers and install. Choose power plan as Ryzen balanced

I'll give that a try, thanks. I have the latest drivers and the chip does under volt at idle as it should.

Indeed, I could but I've always gone for "decent" motherboards and I want lots of onboard USB so I don't have to mess about with hubs / cards. Plus the CH8 easily has the best aesthetics.

The overall cost isn't the issue, but I do like getting value. That, and I want something solid that is going to last me a while. For context, I am still running the 4770k in my signature.

What I was trying to get at is that the gaming performance across the 3600, 3600x, 3700x and 3900x all seems broadly similar. The bigger C/T counts don't currently translate into significantly better performance (specific cases such as TW aside) and certainly don't seem to merit the price differentials we're talking about. However, if in the medium term (few years), we're going to see significant benefits to gaming perf. with high C/T counts, then I would happily consider the 3700x / 3900x.

Yeah, my machine is great so far -- I haven't even done any overclocking yet as I have been too busy playing games, but I am sure I will be digging into some O/Cing this weekend. I am not expecting to get anything out of the CPU but I want to get my RAM up a bit from the DDR4 3000 it's at now -- preferably to 3466 or so (3600 would be nice but I doubt it's realistic) with some relaxed timings a bit. I don't think the Ryzen memory calculator supports my RAM so I will have to do the math myself, which is fine.

Also ever since doing the upgrade my system crashes as soon as I enable anything in wattman -- which I am also going to try to fix this weekend -- probably just need a fresh install of windows or something as the system is 100% stable, I have played many hours of games with zero issues. I was able to set wattman at 1950Mhz on my Radeon VII before and it ran a good ~150-200Mhz faster than stock on average and now it is under water and I am hoping to get another 100Mhz on top of that.

So far I am liking the machine at lot -- with the EK blocks and tons of radiator I am hitting temps on the CPU of mid 40's C during gaming and max of mid-high 50's. On the GPU I am seeing max hot spot temps of 60C which is a huge improvement over the stock cooler, of course, and the VRM, MEM, etc are all running in the 40-50C range. Everything idles in mid-low 30's.

Once I get the GPU properly overclocked I will go some benchmarking to see where I am at, but I currently hold the top Firestrike Score for my old CPU/GPU combo (3930K/Radeon VII). Although, admittedly there aren't a ton of other users with that same CPU/GPU combo.

Last edited:
Very Happy with it so far but i upgraded from and old X58 system with a i7 950 so my jump was huge.

Back