whos got Abit AV8 n A64 3000?

Chaballaman

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm thinking of upgrading one of my pc(xp2500@3200, abit nf7-s) to a64 3000 and abit av8. I choose av8 cos agp.

Did you find anything bad about the motherboard or cpu? what settings are you running? cpu, fsb, memory.

I'm not in hurry so i might wait for that new venice(?) core.. i don't know anything about this new cpu, wats the advantage? o/c higher? :) or might even get 6800gt pci-x n get diff motherboard. (but i'll prob get the same cpu to save money. hehe, i'll use money for the new lcd.)

different mobo and pci-e card. av8's have a via chipset, and to take advantage of a venice and its oc-ablility, your gonna want an nforce chipset.

Chaballaman said:
I'm not in hurry so i might wait for that new venice(?) core.. i don't know anything about this new cpu, wats the advantage? o/c higher? :)
i know it's asking a lot, but read the venice rumor thread. :D

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
different mobo and pci-e card. av8's have a via chipset, and to take advantage of a venice and its oc-ablility, your gonna want an nforce chipset.

HUH? I've had my AV8 3rd Eye rock solid at 325fsb and could probably do more. The latest 19 bios really helped on overclockability with this mobo.

iirc, the first revision a8v's didn't have an agp/pci lock

also, the clock generator is on the cpu, not the board, so.. yeah.

(cf)Eclipse said:

If your saying a bios change has nothing to do with it I must disagree. Folks on Abit forums are mentioning higher fsb's with 19 bios. General consensus is it has something to do with the changelog mentioning dram timing adjustments.

Quote:
1. Add RocketBoy AV8 support.
2. Change the default RTC year to 2005.
3. Fixed minor DRAM timing issue.
4. BIOS compiled date: 01/19/2005

plywood99 said:
HUH? I've had my AV8 3rd Eye rock solid at 325fsb and could probably do more. The latest 19 bios really helped on overclockability with this mobo.
325mhz fsb? cool! i would buy corsair memory if the mobo can run really high-fsb. wats ur spec n wat setting are you running?

I'm planning on getting zalman 7000b-alcu-led or 7700-alcu cooler n o/c the venice to near max.

I built a box with a 3200+ winnie and an Abit AV8 a few months ago and was very happy with it. It was my first venture back to VIA chipsets and I was suprised how well it preformed. :)

Just got A64 3200+ (Venice LBBLE 0516), Abit AV8 and Zalman 7700AlCu. 2.55ghz (255x10) @ 1.4v is stable but 260mhz fsb+ is unstable, i think its due to agp/pci lock, I can load into windows at 2.8ghz (280x10) @ 1.5v but hangs in Aquamark/3DMark. 260mhz was stable after changing agp/pci lock to 74mhz but i need to test more to confirm. I can use the multipliers under 10x so i don't mind running 300x9, etc if i could run 300mhz fsb but won't even post at 300mhz fsb.. i have to figure out agp/pci lock issue over 260mhz fsb.. I'm stuck at 2.55ghz if i can't use 260mhz+ fsb since i can't use higher multipliers to o/c higher. (i.e. 250x11)

So far the performance increase seems to be very minimal, i can't reallly notice it over o/ced XP2500+. I'm glad i waited until now and got the venice core cos if it o/ced any less it wouldn't have been noticeable. 3DMark03/05 scores are slightly higher. Aquamark03 and Doom3 timedemo is about 20% faster.

plywood99, wats ur bios settings to run 300mhz+ fsb? i have 19 bios.

(cf)Eclipse said:

Nope, the clock generator is on the motherboard. I know exactly where the clock generator is on my AV8, and i know what clock generator it uses too :p

i just did some research, and it appears that i am indeed wrong. i remember seeing a picture of an a64 cores with a little section labeled clock generator, but after digging through the tech docs, i see otherwise. perhaps the "clock generator" that was being refered to is the one that sets the cpu multi and memory divider
(this is particurally handy: http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/24707_PUB.pdf )

also, talk about a thread bump :eek:

Chaballaman, bump up that voltage. 1.4v isn't gonna get you too far ;)

Chaballaman said:
Just got A64 3200+ (Venice LBBLE 0516), Abit AV8 and Zalman 7700AlCu. 2.55ghz (255x10) @ 1.4v is stable but 260mhz fsb+ is unstable, i think its due to agp/pci lock, I can load into windows at 2.8ghz (280x10) @ 1.5v but hangs in Aquamark/3DMark. 260mhz was stable after changing agp/pci lock to 74mhz but i need to test more to confirm. I can use the multipliers under 10x so i don't mind running 300x9, etc if i could run 300mhz fsb but won't even post at 300mhz fsb.. i have to figure out agp/pci lock issue over 260mhz fsb.. I'm stuck at 2.55ghz if i can't use 260mhz+ fsb since i can't use higher multipliers to o/c higher. (i.e. 250x11)

So far the performance increase seems to be very minimal, i can't reallly notice it over o/ced XP2500+. I'm glad i waited until now and got the venice core cos if it o/ced any less it wouldn't have been noticeable. 3DMark03/05 scores are slightly higher. Aquamark03 and Doom3 timedemo is about 20% faster.

plywood99, wats ur bios settings to run 300mhz+ fsb? i have 19 bios.

Well, before my board died do to the absolutely sorry 20 bios, I was running 329 fsb using the 8/2/1 divider, all voltages maxxed, ldt x2. Plus I water cool. Wouldn't recommend those voltages on air.

I believe I hold the unofficial fsb record on the AV8, have seen no one get near to 329fsb... :cool:

I'm now using the MSI K8T NEO2, which in the current bios wont allow over 280fsb. Hoping to find some way to get around this..

Back