Who's getting sick of upgrading their video card?

i still have my trusty 9800 pro lol. i am looking at getting a new card though. just a card that will play most next gen games fine but is not too expensive. right now i am looking at a 7900gt, x1800xt, or an x1900gt. after i upgrade this time, it will be another year or two before i upgrade again.

korrupted-drk- said:
LOL @ Sally Struthers here. This is [H]ardOCP. Think about that statement. We're hardware freaks, not hardcore philanthropists (sp).

I'm alright with upgrading one or two components at a time, but that AGP to PCIe thing really fucked my next upgrade path. I have to buy like a whole new rig. Stupid ass PCIe.

I got a socket 754 PCIe board in January, screw that. To go with my fatwallet-special $47 vanilla x800 128MB.

Voodoo3 2000 -> Radeon 7000 -> Radeon 8500 -> 9800pro -> x800

I could maybe use an upgrade, but I'm not an FPS guy, really. Quake 4 is my only real FPS at this point that kills my card. BFME2 (1600x1200), Guild Wars (1920x1200) and Civilization run fine on a vanilla x800. I've kinda been interested in Oblivion but I've got enough backlog for now (10+ video game consoles too).

Call me crazy but I enjoy the act of upgrading my card. Not so much the money spent but the whole installation process I find enjoyable. It's always neat seeing the new and improved differences in games also.

"Holy Shiat!!!11 , There's realtime reflection in the water. OMGHI2REFLECTIONS!!!!!!11ONE"

:cool:

yea i love the feeling when you upgrade but i hate spending money. ebay has been my friend for a while. i just got my x1900gt off of ebay for $220. decent price imo.

I think for me its the anticipation. When I finally get the card it never feels like a huge improvement...
9700 Pro -> 6800GT- felt like a bit better IQ in some games and about 10fps
6800GT -> 7800GT - again better all around IQ and some more FPS.
All in all my biggest shock was when Imoved from an MX440SE to a ti4200 and from that to a 9700 Pro. Since then, I've yet to be dazzled by an upgrade.
I will admit I still get the itch to upgrade very often and I love doing all the research, but lately it just feels pretty redundant....

that's why i only play older games.

it's like... next gen card will get q3a to 1,000 fps. OMFG!!!!

or... get CSS to 1,000 fps in 2 years. WOW! =).

JediFonger said:
it's like... next gen card will get q3a to 1,000 fps. OMFG!!!!

That is the reason I don't need to upgrade. I bought a 7800GTX and I still play Quake 3 constant...no point in upgrading for nothing.

I upgrade when I NEED to. If I can play my games on high settings, I will keep the card I have until I come across a game that wont let me.

Now that I think of it, I haven't done much upgrading at all...

In 2000, my dad gave me what was my first compute rall to myself: A stunning AMD K6 166. I believe it had a Diamond somewithing or other with 2mb o' Ram. Whee!

From there I made a slight mistake when, while upgrading the rest of the system, I purchased a VooDoo 4. But hey, it kicked the crap out of that Diamond. I made a decent trade and acquired a Radeon 7000 32mb. It had DDR! And then I held onto it.

For three years.

Then 6 months ago I fianlly upgraded everything again, and I'm sitting pretty on an OC'd 6600GT.

Whee!

As for me, I like upgrading. Lookin' forward to doin' it again soon!

Am I the only person who doesn't mind playing OpenGL games in GL_NEAREST?

Graphics don't matter too much, as long as it's not buggy and as long as it's fun, I'm in.

I was running around dancing like a retard when i got my 7900GTX.....

I'm through with upgrading for a while. It is to much of a drain on a college student budget. Besides, whats the point when lately we only have been seeing B-rate games hit the shelves. I haven't been wowed by a game since I played NeverwinterNights. I've played Oblivion, Farcry, F.E.A.R,and ect. (you name it I've got it or played it) I think the biggest reason is the fact that I am getting older and video games just arent really fun anymore. I spend way to much time in school books and such. I think I am going to get into programming and that sort of stuff. I won't need an uber rig for that. My current one should perform fine for school use. Maybe I will upgrade in 2 years or so when I hit graduate school.

i don't mind the upgrade part, its the selling of the replaced hardware that I find hard.

(shameless plug here, but i'm selling my 7800GTX (in sig))

LordBritish said:
May be i'm getting old but I'm getting tired of upgrading my video card.

I'll be getting a 7950GX2 soon to replace my 7900GTX.

I only had my 7900GTX for less than 3 months - lol.

Anyhow, it seems the upgrading treadmill never ends :(

I will hereby announce that I will not upgrade my video card or anything else in my computer for at least 2 years or until some game comes out that requires me to upgrade - whichever comes first.
Judging from this post you either have too much money, are insecure about the speed of your computer, or both.

Like to upgrade, but cringe at what I am spending. Everytime I upgrade I think "OK, this is going to last me for a while and there is nooooo reason I need to spend more money" but you know how that goes... :eek:

But this time is different! My 7900GT is lasting forever! I am never going to look at the video card section of any tech website again, and therefore never taking the risk of giving into the temptation of upgrading! :D Oh...wait...that means I shouldn't look at any new games either. :p

I'll upgrade whenever there is a game that requires it. And when I do I'll go for the top end bang for buck upgrade.

Ethically, I hate it, and it just reiterates my loathing of Corporate economies.. You know, let's not fix the common cold because we make 3billion/yr on cold medicine.

I'm curious how far ahead the GPU would be if the business plan wasn't to roll out a new version every 6 months.

CleanSlate said:
Stop upgrading every 3 months when a new refresh comes out then. You aren't a moron so stop acting like one.

You don't buy a new car every time the new Ford comes out that's better than the one you have now, do ya? If ya do... I may have jumped the gun on saying you aren't a moron.

I upgrade once every 2 or 3 years. I buy what's out for about $200 and I go on with my merry way. Sounds like you're addicted... GET OFF THE METH!!... Errr... graphics cards!!!
^^^^ - not exactly how I would have put it ... but yeah, pretty much sums up my thoughts right there. Only upgrade my gfx card every few years too.

I blame everyone here. 6 months ago, I was urged to upgrade from my 17" CRT to a 19"LCD. People made me believe I was staring at a big ol 15" viewing space boulder, made out of stone ago equipment (it was). My 6800nu would have played games well 2 years from now, on 1024x768 resolution. Now, I fear I have to upgrade to the midrange card of every new generation to continue playing on my native res of 1280x1024. It looks gorgeous, my eyes feel less strained, I'm not exposed to x-rays, and my power bill has gone down, but ignorance
was friendlier to my wallet.

Monkey_feces said:
I blame everyone here. 6 months ago, I was urged to upgrade from my 17" CRT to a 19"LCD. People made me believe I was staring at a big ol 15" viewing space boulder, made out of stone ago equipment (it was). My 6800nu would have played games well 2 years from now, on 1024x768 resolution. Now, I fear I have to upgrade to the midrange card of every new generation to continue playing on my native res of 1280x1024. It looks gorgeous, my eyes feel less strained, I'm not exposed to x-rays, and my power bill has gone down, but ignorance
was friendlier to my wallet.

Ditch that 19" LCD and get a 24" LCD :D

LordBritish said:
May be i'm getting old but I'm getting tired of upgrading my video card.

I'll be getting a 7950GX2 soon to replace my 7900GTX.

I only had my 7900GTX for less than 3 months - lol.

Anyhow, it seems the upgrading treadmill never ends :(

I will hereby announce that I will not upgrade my video card or anything else in my computer for at least 2 years or until some game comes out that requires me to upgrade - whichever comes first.

If I had your money I'd burn mine. Really if I could afford the latest once it comes out like it seems your able to I wouldn't mind.

Yeah, I'm getting tired of it...I've picked up from glancing over these forums that DX10 is supposed to change the upgrade every 6 months pattern..

What's really outrageous is crossfire and SLI which some people actually *require* for large monitors.

I'm still sitting here with an ATI9800 pro.

and there's quad-SLI, 4 cards!!!! Give me a friggin break.

I think it's getting absurd, card makers have got to be loving SLI and crossfire.

I guess it's not their fault but I can't help feeling like consumers are being taken advantage of.

Okay I feel a little better now :)

bump .... G80 release ... cycle starts anew

prediction: many to blow budget, incapable of resisting compulsion to buy latest & greatest.

consequence: good deals to start shortly on 7x series. Patience to be rewarded to those
who have waited. congrats!

I'm not getting sick. My 9800 Pro still does a decent job. It is about time for an upgrade.... next spring.

I'm doin alright with my 6800GT, but I do want something a bit better. BRING DOWN THE PRICES ALREADY!!!:(

I either want a really good deal on x1900 stuff or an 8800 GTS. :cool:

I'm tired of waiting for a good deal, but can't say I'm tired of upgrading :(

I just moved my desktop to the TV. horray for 1024x768 and sorround sound!

6800GT wont be going anywhere for a long while now.

You guys are too caught up on eye candy. I've been playing pretty much just Quake3 CPMA for the past 6 years at this quality. And it's 10x more fun than any high eye candy game released with half assed expectations.
shot0007.jpg

What those of us with 4~5 gaming PCs. Slowest I am currently running is single 7950 GT 512mb/FX 57. I usually upgrade 1 PC at every GPU refresh. I currently have both Crossfire and SLI systems. Will be replacing 7950 GT 512mb/FX 57 w/ 2x 8800GTX/QX6700. That will be my #2 gaming PC while waiting for 2 more 8800GTX & Nvidia i680 closer to Thanksgiving...

Speedo68 said:
What those of us with 4~5 gaming PCs. Slowest I am currently running is single 7950 GT 512mb/FX 57. I usually upgrade 1 PC at every GPU refresh. I currently have both Crossfire and SLI systems. Will be replacing 7950 GT 512mb/FX 57 w/ 2x 8800GTX/QX6700. That will be my #2 gaming PC while waiting for 2 more 8800GTX & Nvidia i680 closer to Thanksgiving...
what the hell do you need 5 gaming computers for?

vanilla_guerilla said:
somehow i dont think the word "need" has anything to do with it.
Yeah, but having 5 gaming computers and activly upgrading all of them just cuase you can is rediculous as well. You could buy a new car with that kind of cheese, as well as a bunch of other usefull things. .

vanilla_guerilla said:
somehow i dont think the word "need" has anything to do with it.
He needs them about as much as you need _one_ gaming computer. Anyone who uses the word "need" in conjunction with recreational activities should rethink the issue.

Well, I game with 2 different Krews for CS, CoD, BF and other games. So some of my equipment is sent to us to test show our sponsers names. I also get anywhere from $2500 to $6500 a year from playing said games. So, I have 2 different Gaming LAN PCs, 2 Gaming Dekstops, & 3 Gaming Laptops...

The other is part of my job. I do API, DirectX, OpenGL and other driver's work. So I need to be able to work with current and next-gen hardware. Both laptops and Desktop/Workstations. As such, I have a hardware budget of $18,000 a year for general hardware. I order on my Coporate AMEX and it gets delivered to my house. My company's billing rate start at $250 an hour. So this is built into my pay/compensation package. Work is 2 Gaming/Workstation PCs, 4 Work Laptops, 5 Servers, plus associated network items(OC-12 csu/dsu, Cisco 6500, Cisco 2500, Fiber Channel Swtich for SCSI DRive Array, Firewalls, other crap)...

I also help my wife with some work at her company. Apple workstations/laptops and Dell systems.

Really lucky just being an advide gamer and software programmer...

As for cars, I already have a couple of Nissan 240sx's S14, 300zx TT Z32, G35 coupe, Subie STI ltd, BMW 550i, GMC Yukon Denali, and Buell Firebolt xb12r, Ducati 1000s, GSXR750R...
House paid for by Google stock last year, so just saving for retirement by 55...

I really have no problem keeping the economy going by purchasing new parts every 3~4 months at this time...

Back