Votes: 37 14.5%
  • Windows 8

Votes: 28 10.9%
  • Windows 8 Pro

Votes: 114 44.5%
  • None

Votes: 105 41.0%

• Total voters
IS press and hold for right click working for you guys in metro? It works in the test on the driver config window so I am guessing its a driver problem with metro or metro itself.

I think they are using alot of win7 drivers still.

Yes its good win 7 drivers work in windows 8, but its actually bad because it means companies can be lazy with updating them.

If the drivers just plain didnt work/broken then they would be forced to act quickly.

IS press and hold for right click working for you guys in metro? It works in the test on the driver config window so I am guessing its a driver problem with metro or metro itself.

I think they are using alot of win7 drivers still.

Yes its good win 7 drivers work in windows 8, but its actually bad because it means companies can be lazy with updating them.

If the drivers just plain didnt work/broken then they would be forced to act quickly.

Yes, works fine for me.

Are those W8 table running W8 or RT ?
If they Run W8 can you run any normal programs on there.

Also which ones are Multi touch like a table with a Full W8 non RT ?

We've been talking about a mix of devices that run bothRT and full Windows 8. The Surface RT runs Windows RT and only runs Metro apps in addition to the built-in desktop versions of IE and Office with no option of installing additional desktop apps.

Several of us have been talking about full Windows 8 tablets like the Samsung Ativ 500 which uses the new Intel Z2760 Atoms codenamed Clovertrail. I have one of these and have installed Office 2013 x86 RTM along with several other desktop apps and I'm very impressed overall. No speed demon but MUCH better than previous generation Atoms and the battery life is remarkable. I've had mine on from just before lunch till just about now, at total of 13hours unplugged with about 2 hours off and the battery was a 7% before I plugged in.

I was running the unit pretty hard, lots of Office, about an hour of various video, music play back and heavy web surfing. Everyone has been focused on Surface RT launching but these Atom devices are in the same price range as RT devices and are lot more flexible with Windows x86 desktop app capability and similar battery life. I think these devices have a definite appeal to businesses looking at tablets and give consumers a choice in getting a hybrid device that's in the price range of the iPad.

Like Heatless said there are many variants, Surface RT is W8 RT based, metro only apps. While the 500T is full W8 on the Atom procs. I am the only one here with a W8 device on i7. Any of the Atom or i5, i7 based tablets will have the full W8 experience.

We've been talking about a mix of devices that run bothRT and full Windows 8. The Surface RT runs Windows RT and only runs Metro apps in addition to the built-in desktop versions of IE and Office with no option of installing additional desktop apps.

Several of us have been talking about full Windows 8 tablets like the Samsung Ativ 500 which uses the new Intel Z2760 Atoms codenamed Clovertrail. I have one of these and have installed Office 2013 x86 RTM along with several other desktop apps and I'm very impressed overall. No speed demon but MUCH better than previous generation Atoms and the battery life is remarkable. I've had mine on from just before lunch till just about now, at total of 13hours unplugged with about 2 hours off and the battery was a 7% before I plugged in.

I was running the unit pretty hard, lots of Office, about an hour of various video, music play back and heavy web surfing. Everyone has been focused on Surface RT launching but these Atom devices are in the same price range as RT devices and are lot more flexible with Windows x86 desktop app capability and similar battery life. I think these devices have a definite appeal to businesses looking at tablets and give consumers a choice in getting a hybrid device that's in the price range of the iPad.

Awesome exactly what i was looking for information wise.
Now how is the compatibility of that with Older Software Like from XP era ?
Also I was also looking at that samsung does it come with keyboard or tablet alone ?
I saw one Like a Laptop with removable Table like the Transformer by ASUS
and I saw a table stand alone, are those the same exact table with and with out keyboard ? And then lastly size comparison Tablet alone is it alot thicker compared to the other tablets ?

Yeah, same for me. There are some updated drivers for the 500 on Samsung's web site, one of them is a touch screen driver which I have installed, you might want to check into that.

Driver update fixed the problem.

Remember to register your product on the samsung website for 3 months more warranty.

Picked up the tablet this morning, pressed the button, right to metro. It didn't even ask me for my password. Very strange indeed. It's supposed to ask. It did yesterday.

Picked up the tablet this morning, pressed the button, right to metro. It didn't even ask me for my password. Very strange indeed. It's supposed to ask. It did yesterday.

In the advanced power plan options check to see if it is setup to ask for a password. I noticed that this got flipped around one myself and I'm not sure what happened.

Thank you sir. How do you rate the build quality?

10/10 on hardware and 7.5-8/10 on software. There are a few small things to iron out such as the mail program underperforming if you have more than one email syncing and Office tends to use quite a bit of CPU but I read this will be addressed when the full Office is out, if not sooner.

The hardware is fantastic. I've owned ipads, kindles, ultrabooks at work and so forth and this device is the best, hardware build wise, that I have ever had. The kickstand is great and I get why they were so proud of it. The touch keyboard is really impressive for how thin it is and the attachment mechanism is a good balance between gripping strength and ease of removal.

Last edited:
I really like the keyboard thing as I HATE touching any screen.

I hope more tablets follow this. I wouldnt mind one if I didnt already have a nook color which works for now.

I'm waiting to see whether they're able to fix frequent Metro crashes first. There's no way I'm investing in this platform until the level of stability there increases. Also waiting for the right hardware.

I'm waiting to see whether they're able to fix frequent Metro crashes first. There's no way I'm investing in this platform until the level of stability there increases. Also waiting for the right hardware.

It'll depend on the apps really more than the OS. I'm not seeing across the board app crashes. The main apps I use are working fine but there are apps here and there that I try out that do run into issues.

I really like the keyboard thing as I HATE touching any screen.

I hope more tablets follow this. I wouldnt mind one if I didnt already have a nook color which works for now.

That would certainly help the your budget! the non touch windows 8 laptops are in the $800 range for Core i5.

I have not had a single crash on any of my four windows 8 machines. (1 tablet , 2 desktops, 1 htpc)

No crashes on my hardware...though it is admittedly an old dell tablet laptop.

I have not had a single crash on any of my four windows 8 machines. (1 tablet , 2 desktops, 1 htpc)

I crashed windows 8, something to do with file xfering. shrug. Its still new so no biggy.

That would certainly help the your budget! the non touch windows 8 laptops are in the $800 range for Core i5.

I just use my nook for books, netflix, browsing and movies(blu ray rips). I dont think I would spend 800 just for that usage. hehe

I crashed windows 8, something to do with file xfering. shrug. Its still new so no biggy.

My e350 crashed alot on consumer preview...but hey its consumer preview. It was would say "kernel paging failed security check."

Well I was able to return my tablet to Office Depot. They had no more in stock anywhere so they couldn't force me to do an exchange. So no issues there.

Well I was able to return my tablet to Office Depot. They had no more in stock anywhere so they couldn't force me to do an exchange. So no issues there.

Sorry it didn't work out. There's a pretty active thread on TabletPCReview about the 500 and overall the responses seem very positive, I've had my replacement for two days now and I definitely had a detective unit.

Has anyone done a comparison yet between tegra3 and clovertrail? It kind of surprises me if not, how often do you have the exact same OS/interface on ARM and x86 that allows such a direct comparison?

Has anyone done a comparison yet between tegra3 and clovertrail? It kind of surprises me if not, how often do you have the exact same OS/interface on ARM and x86 that allows such a direct comparison?

I've not seen really anyone even review these Clovertail devices. I think the Samsung Ativ 500 is the only one in the wild currently and it's in very short supply. That should change next month with the release of the HP Envy x2 and other devices.

I think Clovertail and future Atoms are critical to the success of Windows 8 as they allow for x86 desktop software and are super cheap, Intel is matching ARM OEMs on the pricing now. In fact there doesn't really seem to be much of a price difference between Clovertrail devices and ARM devices.

Paul Thurott mentioned on his blog that he too was interested in Clovertrail machines. He likes his Surface RT device but isn't exactly keen on them because of the lack of x86 software and other issues.

Have you been using Metro apps? The desktop has been stable for me, but Metro has been extremely problematic, particularly the Store app.

I have been super pleased with the performance of the Tegra chip in the Surface. I had the original Zune and Samsung GT so I always thought the Tegra chip sucked.

But on the Surface it is a beast IMO. I can't believe a cell phone chip can do everything the Surface does. Especially when considering how the One X and other Android products have performed.

It rarely crashes. The RDP client is great. Desktop is still full-blown multi-tasking. Personally I am pretty turned off by Intel chips until they stop requiring fans. But in general the Surface does everything I need with my desktop covering the rest.

Last edited:
Personally I am pretty turned off my Intel chips until they stop requiring fans.

Actually the new Clovertrail Atom devices are fanless and don't require vents. Very similar is in battery life and thickness to ARM devices as well.

Actually the new Clovertrail Atom devices are fanless and don't require vents. Very similar is in battery life and thickness to ARM devices as well.

You know I was looking and looking for vents whenever I looked at the new Acer Iconia and I could never find them and was hoping that was the case. That is awesome!

I'll really be interested to see real world battery life and gpu testing. That is really cool though.

I wonder if the Surface will be more optimized/run faster in the real world when compared to the Acer.

I can tell you in the time I owned the samsung ativ 500t that battery life was never the issue. I charged it the morning I got it and never again until I had to return it a day later. And I was on it all day yesterday and didn't charge it last night. I don't know what percentage I had left but looking at the battery indicator I would guess 40% left.

Battery life is excellent.

You know I was looking and looking for vents whenever I looked at the new Acer Iconia and I could never find them and was hoping that was the case. That is awesome!

I'll really be interested to see real world battery life and gpu testing. That is really cool though.

I wonder if the Surface will be more optimized/run faster in the real world when compared to the Acer.

I've had tle Clovertrail based Samsung Ativ 500 for a few days and the performance and battery life are impressive. I'm getting around 10 hours of continuous run time doing general tasks, Office, music and a couple of hours of video playback, web surfing and it all runs quite smoothly, nothing like I would have expected from an Atom. All in a 1.68 lbs. package at .39" thick. Around 4 ounces heavier and .02" thicker than the latest retina iPad that's $100 cheaper than the 64 GB version of that iPad.

So purchased the Surface today. Thus far speed is OK, not great. On the other hand, I have a 2011 MacBook Air 11" and an iPad 2 that I am starting to feel will get replaced. iPad portability, but runs office! Plus office for mac is about equivalent to 2013 home and office.

Surface to iPad, I think iPad is better. Surface + Keyboard is awesome! Makes me understand Windows 8 much better. You can mix typing touchpad (with gestures) and touchscreen. All of those little things like entering username password and having Tab available helps.

Surface stand is a great feature also.

Still think there is lots of work to be done, but interesting. Typing rate is much faster than a touchscreen tablet.

Very happy thus far. Now... will I be upgrading when haswell comes out... maybe :) Will I also get a Nexus 10.... likely.

You can mix typing touchpad (with gestures) and touchscreen. All of those little things like entering username password and having Tab available helps.

Congrats! This is one thing that I've mentioned about Windows 8 on a touch "laptop" is this very thing. It just becomes natural to tap the screen for things here and there, it's not necessarily meant to be a full time thing when you have a keyboard and mouse or track pad attached, it's just another input method that can be useful here and there.

Were's the, "I already own a tablet and installed Win8 Pro on it", selection?

Did you get the Touch or Type Cover?

Debated in store for awhile. Ended up with the touch. Even with this typing much faster than a touchscreen UI.

I only wish these were semi standardized. I really wanted to get the ASUS keyboard/ battery instead of the Type Cover. Would be great to have both plus a bigger battery for long flights.

Back