Votes: 37 14.5%
  • Windows 8

Votes: 28 10.9%
  • Windows 8 Pro

Votes: 114 44.5%
  • None

Votes: 105 41.0%

• Total voters
Testing out a surface at work and its defiantly not ready or at least the RT for a corporate environment.

How so? Not that I don't agree without desktop compatibility, just wondering if there's more to it than that.

I couldnt find the VITA core i5 version. Staples had the ATOM processor version. I tried it on site and it seemed pretty peppy. I bought one. I have 14 days to return it if I do not like the performance.

I will need to run some test see how code compiling goes on a dual core atom.

I couldnt find the VITA core i5 version. Staples had the ATOM processor version. I tried it on site and it seemed pretty peppy. I bought one. I have 14 days to return it if I do not like the performance.

Congrats! Did you get the keyboard? I'd love to here about you experiences. Now you've got me wanting to check out Staples.;)

And I just saw the Staples price on that machine. $600, that's actually not a bad price at all for that thing. The same price as 32 GB current gen iPad.

They did not have the keyboard in stock and actually I am thinking this may be the best choice all in all.

Getting an ATOM now means I can justify a haswell core i5 next september :)

Bestbuy had the taichi on demo. It was actually really nice, wish it had pen support.

This really sucks. They should just have a business version or a "corporate unlock" you can buy. My company's not on a subscription service with Office, and I don't think we have any plans to upgrade to Office 2013 from Office 2010 in the near future, so it looks like we'd have to shell out significantly more money to license RT tablets for corporate use...and with no additional functionality (the ability to add Outlook would be huge). Anyone have a clue what the cheapest way would be to get Office RT licensed for corporate use?

A Windows RT corporate version with the ability to join Active Directory domains and a corporate-licensed version of Office that included Outlook would be awesome. Even at a couple hundred dollars over the comparable Windows RT tablets, they'd be the perfect corporate tablet.

That's the reason behind surface pro.

So far I am impressed. It handles flash well, only hitting the cpu at 40% even under 1080p of course that gpu decoding.

It couldnt play minecraft, but the cpu was only at 30% so either the gpu is maxed or maybe the game doesnt address the gpu properly being a SGX540. So it seems regular games are out.

Certainly no slowdowns in web browsing and using any productivity app.

So far I am impressed. It handles flash well, only hitting the cpu at 40% even under 1080p of course that gpu decoding.

It couldnt play minecraft, but the cpu was only at 30% so either the gpu is maxed or maybe the game doesnt address the gpu properly being a SGX540. So it seems regular games are out.

Certainly no slowdowns in web browsing and using any productivity app.

Good news. Not a surprise that desktop games would be problematic, but there should be some decent Metro games on the way. Would you mind posting your Windows Experience Scores? Thanks and keep enjoying!

Good news. Not a surprise that desktop games would be problematic, but there should be some decent Metro games on the way. Would you mind posting your Windows Experience Scores? Thanks and keep enjoying!

Chrome and Firebox both desktop and metro run like ass. I think something needs to be tweaked for programs run on the SGX540. They arent slow and laggy just plain broken. ( when pages sometimes do not render at all)

So it seems Windows 8 has 3 environments. Windows RT (ARM) Windows Mobile (Atom/sgx540) and Windows 8 pro (x86).

I am not sure if I want this incompatibility.

WES taken with the wall wart plugged in.

Proc 3.4
Mem 4.7
Graphics 3.5
Gaming 3.2
HD 5.8

The machines gets little bursts of warmth but never hot.

For comparison my e350 with windows 8

proc 3.7
mem 5.3
graphics 4.2
gaming 5.7
hd 7.4

The tablet runs better and is more snappy then the e350 thou...

Last edited:

any chance you could open 15-20 websites in IE and tell us how it performs switching between tabs and scrolling?

Chrome and Firebox both desktop and metro run like ass. I think something needs to be tweaked for programs run on the SGX540. They arent slow and laggy just plain broken. ( when pages sometimes do not render at all)

So it seems Windows 8 has 3 environments. Windows RT (ARM) Windows Mobile (Atom/sgx540) and Windows 8 pro (x86).

I am not sure if I want this incompatibility.

WES taken with the wall wart plugged in.

Proc 3.4
Mem 4.7
Graphics 3.5
Gaming 3.2
HD 5.8

The machines gets little bursts of warmth but never hot.

For comparison my e350 with windows 8

proc 3.7
mem 5.3
graphics 4.2
gaming 5.7
hd 7.4

The tablet runs better and is more snappy then the e350 thou...

Thanks for the info. With Chrome and Firefox are you using them with touch? The last time I checked them touch was completely messed up though they should run fine with a mouse and keyboard. For now, at least with touch, IE 10 is the only way to go. Microsoft has gone a great job with the rendering speed and touch UI in IE 10.

Those scores look pretty solid. That CPU score in particular is pretty impressive for an Atom, this this should have no problem with desktop apps, the GPU scores are a little weak but plenty for Metro gaming.

any chance you could open 15-20 websites in IE and tell us how it performs switching between tabs and scrolling?

On the desktop IE it had no problems.

I had 15 pages open and no problems.

engadget
pcper
techreport
hardocp
psu
droid-life
slickdeals
cnet
lifehacker
kotaku
gizmodo
twitch.tv with video playing
arstechica
androidcentral
theverge

On the metro IE I had a problem. It seems to have a limit of 9 windows open. If you open a 10th it would close #1

Those scores look pretty solid. That CPU score in particular is pretty impressive for an Atom, this this should have no problem with desktop apps, the GPU scores are a little weak but plenty for Metro gaming.

Chrome and Firefox are just broken both desktop and metro, kinda like minecraft. I can only guess it has something to do with the SGX540.

Another note. I loaded up some 720p hit10 mkv and it ran like a champ. It comes with some DVD play software and it must be able to use the gpu cause the cpu was sitting at 40%

On the metro IE I had a problem. It seems to have a limit of 9 windows open. If you open a 10th it would close #1

Yeah, the UI in Metro IE only supports ten tabs so not the best if you're a tabaholic but the UI is great for touch.

I wonder how hard it would be to take one of these tablets apart and replace the ssd inside with a larger one. charging $100 extra for 64gb of storage is lame.
Just use the SD slot. It can handle 64GB sd cards in size.

Just throwing apps at it.

WOW runs at 12fps in BELF starting area on LOW preset at native res.

On the desktop IE it had no problems.

I had 15 pages open and no problems.

engadget
pcper
techreport
hardocp
psu
droid-life
slickdeals
cnet
lifehacker
kotaku
gizmodo
twitch.tv with video playing
arstechica
androidcentral
theverge

thanks for the info. hopefully there will be a way to remove it.

Played with a surface and the asus rt tablet today, much preferred the asus display and weight. Loved the touch cover and kickstand on the surface though... I think I am going to hold out but after playing with them I feel like they are slightly underpowered. I also left feeling that the second gen rt tablets are going to smoke the iPad if apple doesn't reinvent iOS. In summary, I want either a pro model with 7+ hour battery or an rt model witha 1920x1200 screen and a better ARM processor.

Played with a surface and the asus rt tablet today, much preferred the asus display and weight. Loved the touch cover and kickstand on the surface though... I think I am going to hold out but after playing with them I feel like they are slightly underpowered. I also left feeling that the second gen rt tablets are going to smoke the iPad if apple doesn't reinvent iOS. In summary, I want either a pro model with 7+ hour battery or an rt model witha 1920x1200 screen and a better ARM processor.

If this hybrid concept catches on, it does present a challenge to Apple and Google that won't be easy for them to address, particularly Google which has no popular desktop OS to integrate.

Man i went to frys today as planned. Took a look at both the Vaio Duo and the 700T really liked both but the Duo fits my need more. I wasnt planning on getting the most expensive one but I looke at both and neither the 700T and the Duo looked like the had accessible SSDs. Pretty much meant a gamble for me so I said screw it and left with a Sony Vaio Duo with the i7 and 256GB ssd which I am typing on now and $1600 lighter. Its a absolute monster for portable uses After installing all of my dev tools and programs needed I have roughly 100GB left. Thank god I went with my instincts and new that I needed a 256GB ssd.

The screen on both are AMZING compared to my MBP non retina and my old Sony Series S which had a 1600x900 screen. The i7 in this is overkill and so far the battery life is awesome. The only gripes so far is learning W8 and the fact that chrome has NO touch support in W8, this means I have to use IE.

I just chatted with Amazon customer service and they said my 700T would ship today, so my guess is that they simply ran out of stock to ship today.

Any update? As far as I can tell all of the W8 tablets that were listed for Oct. 26th switched to "temporarily out of stock" at the same time(around 2am cst last night).

Any update? As far as I can tell all of the W8 tablets that were listed for Oct. 26th switched to "temporarily out of stock" at the same time(around 2am cst last night).

No, nothing has happened, my guess is that I won't be seeing this Monday.

No, nothing has happened, my guess is that I won't be seeing this Monday.

Frys had almost none in stock lol. They had a total of guess..... 1 700T in stock so far this week and 3 of my Sony Vaio Duo 11s and only in the i7 config and I was the only one so far today to buy it, also to note there was only one other frys in my city that had the Vaio and they only had 2 lol.

Frys had almost none in stock lol. They had a total of guess..... 1 700T in stock so far this week and 3 of my Sony Vaio Duo 11s and only in the i7 config and I was the only one so far today to buy it, also to note there was only one other frys in my city that had the Vaio and they only had 2 lol.

Can't say I'm surprised, these Core tablets are always launched in ultra low quantities.

Can't say I'm surprised, these Core tablets are always launched in ultra low quantities.

I thought at least they would have 5 or so, in fact the frys salesman said that they didnt want to put up many W8 demo machines because they wanted the sell the remaining ones with W7. They also had no idea the 700T or the Duo was in stock. I was mistaken haha. Ill post some pictures up tomorrow after I get better acquainted with the machine. I havent really downloaded any apps from the W8 store. Does anyone know of any good ones?

^ another reason why I'm waiting. The app store leaves a lot to be desired. I hope they get the main iOS app developers on board.

^ another reason why I'm waiting. The app store leaves a lot to be desired. I hope they get the main iOS app developers on board.

Don't know if this is anywhere near possible but Microsoft is saying 100000 apps by the beginning of the year: http://www.beet.tv/2012/10/windows8ads.html

Of all of the issues facing Windows 8, I think getting apps will be the least of its problems. It's simply going to sell to many units and copies for developers to ignore and getting developer support for Windows is something that Microsoft is pretty good at.

They did launch with around 5000 Metro apps, which ain't bad for a brand new platform. I would suspect that most of the major apps will be there by mid-2013.

The other question about apps becomes fragmentation. Do some developers make "pro" metro games that only run on a more powerful cpu/gpu (ie works on a x86 tablet but not an arm tablet)? Is this prohibited by Microsoft?

The other question about apps becomes fragmentation. Do some developers make "pro" metro games that only run on a more powerful cpu/gpu (ie works on a x86 tablet but not an arm tablet)? Is this prohibited by Microsoft?

There are Metro apps that do only with x88, the Google Search app is like this, not sure exactly why. Microsoft is very picky about the APIs in Metro apps are there are some that aren't allowed on ARM and I don't think 3rd party web browser engines are allowed at the moment. But these kinds of things are going to rare.

Decided to cancel my preorder for the 500T and either wait for the Surface Pro (if it's not $1100+ for the base model) or see if the 700T drops a little in price once the Surface Pro is released.

If there is some news confirming a Q1 or early Q2 release for Haswell tablets by then I may just wait for it.

Decided to cancel my preorder for the 500T and either wait for the Surface Pro (if it's not $1100+ for the base model) or see if the 700T drops a little in price once the Surface Pro is released.

If there is some news confirming a Q1 or early Q2 release for Haswell tablets by then I may just wait for it.

Haswell doesn't come out until Q3 2013, so I don't think you're going to see any Haswell tablets until the Summer.

Man i went to frys today as planned. Took a look at both the Vaio Duo and the 700T really liked both but the Duo fits my need more.

I think you're the only person I've seen to post anywhere saying they saw a final production 700T in real life. Can you say anything about the build quality? Is it metal or fake-metal plastic?

My current thinking is I am going to keep this 500t and wait for the 700t with a haswell chip next august.

I am amazed how well this atom runs. The screen resolution is the only sorta let down while using kindle in metro. I am use to the nexus 7 ppi. I have to run a bigger font but I have more screen space so I guess thats okay.

My current thinking is I am going to keep this 500t and wait for the 700t with a haswell chip next august.

I am amazed how well this atom runs. The screen resolution is the only sorta let down while using kindle in metro. I am use to the nexus 7 ppi. I have to run a bigger font but I have more screen space so I guess thats okay.

Happy to hear this. I think Atom devices are the most important to the success of Windows 8 because they give you a decent price point compared to high end ARM tablets, similar battery life and x86 compatibly, though of course not all of the performance issues are solved but if can do everything well besides desktop gaming, these things should do well, businesses with tablet desires I think are going to love them.

Man, you really are giving me the itch to get one of these. I've checked around and there are some Staples stores around me that say they might have them, might make some calls tomorrow.

BTW, were you running the RTM version of Office 2013? Thanks for all of you info, it's been quite helpful.

What is available as far as Atom based Win8 tablets go? So far i've only found a Acer W510. Performance numbers put the Atom far ahead of tegra 3 tablets and I feel more comfortable sticking with x86. And want to keep the cost lower than the i5 models.

The 500T that Shadohh got at Staples today is an Atom device and he looks to pretty pleased with it judging by the comments he's made in this thread.

What's the difference between windows 8 and windows 8 pro for the tablets? I know what RT is but haven't seen the breakdown for the other two on tablets.

Back