Who's a CCNP?

Nice, you use Dynamips to study or another method? I'm looking to begin BSCI.

I used physical hardware, I prefer it. I can give you a layout of my lab if you want, and what I used to study.

I don't think the IE is next, I don't feel remotely close to being there yet. I'm thinking I'm going to hit the IP track as QoS is still very fresh in my mind, that and BGP should also help a lot for the IE: R&S, I think.

I used physical hardware, I prefer it. I can give you a layout of my lab if you want, and what I used to study.

I don't think the IE is next, I don't feel remotely close to being there yet. I'm thinking I'm going to hit the IP track as QoS is still very fresh in my mind, that and BGP should also help a lot for the IE: R&S, I think.

Congrats Vito, feels goo huh? :D

Now, do NOT start another track. Seriously, go straight to R&S. You have a nice jump on the game, keep the knowledge fresh.

PS. I would also like to know whos a CCNP here besides myself, archival and vito now? Also, any CCIE's lurking besides unreal?

I prefer physical equipment as well. I already have 5 2610's fully loaded and 2 3620's. I'm using one of the 3620's with a NM-4A/S as my frame switch with 3 2610's connected via WIC-1Ts. So I have a nice start but need a some more things. Any insight to your lab or materials would be appreciated.

I'm picking up the 5th Edition Cisco press stuff as well as Routing TCP/IP I and II. Figure I have enough reading to last me a while.

Post your lab setup and layout. I'm interested in how you have it set up. I'm going to start my CCNP just as soon as I pass my CCNA (which is going to be very soon! Waiting for the funds!)

Congrats Vito, feels goo huh? :D

Now, do NOT start another track. Seriously, go straight to R&S. You have a nice jump on the game, keep the knowledge fresh.

PS. I would also like to know whos a CCNP here besides myself, archival and vito now? Also, any CCIE's lurking besides unreal?

It definitely feels good, haha. Man, straight to R&S is a big jump. I've been looking through the IEWBs and I feel pretty far off being ready for that beast. I'll get some books and start reading though. Any recommendations?

Here's what I've read (recommended by my NCE who passed written and lab on the 1st attempt)
Cisco LAN Switching
Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 2nd Edition
Routing TCP/IP Volume 2
Internet Routing Architecture 2nd Edition
CCIE R&S Exam Certification Guide 3rd Edition (still working on this one)
Developing IP Multicast Networks (still working on this one)

Cisco LAN switching and routing vol1 and 2 should be a breeze for you.

Post your lab setup and layout. I'm interested in how you have it set up. I'm going to start my CCNP just as soon as I pass my CCNA (which is going to be very soon! Waiting for the funds!)

The layout changes with every lab I do. I'll list everything I can remember:

3x3640
1x1811
1x871
2x3550
3x2950
1x2621XM
1x1760
1x1710
1x1721
1x1720
2x2514
1x2512

Random stuff for voice/security:
1x7905
1x7940
1x5505
1x501

I think that's about it. I could have easily gotten through the CCNP with 1/4 of what I have, maybe 3x3640, some 2514s and 1-2x3550.

Here's what I've read (recommended by my NCE who passed written and lab on the 1st attempt)
Cisco LAN Switching
Routing TCP/IP Volume 1 2nd Edition
Routing TCP/IP Volume 2
Internet Routing Architecture 2nd Edition
CCIE R&S Exam Certification Guide 3rd Edition (still working on this one)
Developing IP Multicast Networks (still working on this one)

Cisco LAN switching and routing vol1 and 2 should be a breeze for you.

I just bought Routing TCP/IP Vol1 and Vol2 (holy effin' $$$ books), QoS Cert Guide, and the CCIE Cert guide. Might grab the Internet Routing Arch now too.

I've been reading about the differences between the 3550 and the 3560. Other than obvious pricing, (hfs 3560's aren't cheap) PVLAN and QoS being the main differences?

routing arch is good for BGP, but you should be able to get by with the other stuff.. at least for the written.

I've been reading about the differences between the 3550 and the 3560. Other than obvious pricing, (hfs 3560's aren't cheap) PVLAN and QoS being the main differences?

QoS is the biggy, from what I understand. You planning on going for the IE? If you're working on the NP the 3550s will be fine. I wouldn't buy 3560s unless you're really working on the IE lab, otherwise you're just spending a lot of money that you don't have to (yet). The more time that passes, the cheaper they will get, so I plan on waiting until I absolutely need some, unless an employer gives me some lol.

PVLAN is a big one, weighted round robin vs shaped round robin, the queues(4 vs 16 for each). The other minor difference is how you do RSPAN(reflection ports). You should build both models into your pod.

Vito, seriously... if you're going to be working with just the IEWB seriously consider getting a server for dynagen. I can help you out and provide you the .net file and stuff...

routing arch is good for BGP, but you should be able to get by with the other stuff.. at least for the written.
TCP/IP vol2, doyle.... Great book

Yeah I keep sniping my buddies in network admin with comments about old equipment. 3550's aren't that bad right now and they port right into the IEWB topology. Looking at the BSCI recommended topology (rofl @ 6 2811s) looks doable with 3640's and my my frame switch. Shouldn't need to buy much to get by I don't think. And I'd like to graduate to 3640's anyway.

Yea, once I get moved and settled (to Tampa), I'll probably invest in a server build, or just beef up my file server. The IE labs are going to consist of more than I have probably.

Yeah I keep sniping my buddies in network admin with comments about old equipment. 3550's aren't that bad right now and they port right into the IEWB topology. Looking at the BSCI recommended topology (rofl @ 6 2811s) looks doable with 3640's and my my frame switch. Shouldn't need to buy much to get by I don't think. And I'd like to graduate to 3640's anyway.
any device that will run 12.4 IOS will work for the CCIE. For the BSCI, you could get away with 2501's(as long as you have an image that has bgp). If you decide to go for the CCIE, then you're going to need to beef up the equipment.

Vito:
Good idea, you're going to spoil yourself as well when you start using dynagen and pre-extracted images ;-)

Xphil3's posts are like auto-generated with the words dynagen/dynamips in them. :p Everytime I see them it makes me want to go try it and see just how good everyone says it is, but then I get scared about having to futz around with a piece of software. At some point maybe I'll get a clue and stop spending money on hardware and take your advice.

It's not as stable as real hardware, but it works very well.

Hell, I have 7200s at my disposal but I still use dynamips from time to time.

I have the ISCW left, missed it on the first try 2 weeks ago.. I need to get around to studying for it again. Should pass it before April is up, then I'll join you in the ranks of CCNP.

I have the ISCW left, missed it on the first try 2 weeks ago.. I need to get around to studying for it again. Should pass it before April is up, then I'll join you in the ranks of CCNP.
Wow dude, I thought that you were done already.... I remember you asking me for CCIE resources a few months back..... You still going to persue that path as well?

Go for it, I think that was the easiest test for me. A lot of the questions were just common sense.

Wow dude, I thought that you were done already.... I remember you asking me for CCIE resources a few months back..... You still going to persue that path as well?

Debatable at this point... It all depends on where they end up placing me for my job at the end of June :) If my job is one that facilitates me studying for the IE, then I'll probably look at going for it.

Im starting my CCNP this week actually. Finally done with school and now it's time to get my certs out the way. I just ordered the books and hopefully I'll see yall soon in CCNP land.

EDIT: Vito & others, how long did it take you from the 1st exam to get yours?

From the first exam, about three months. It's tricky with me though. I started studying all the exam topics a year ago when I got my CCNA but I didn't take any tests for ~9 months as I was working a lot and scared that I would fail. When I heard Cisco was doing the free retakes I decided eff it I'll just take one and see what I need to work on if I fail... but I didn't fail, lol.

I passed BCMSN and took the CCNA: Voice about a month later cause I was looking for a job and thought it would look good on my resume. About a month after that I took BSCI, which I was POSITIVE I was going to fail, even during the exam, but somehow I passed again. I took ISCW a couple weeks after that and wasn't really worried. Then I took ONT a week or so later (yesterday) and during the exam I had the feeling I was going to fail again, but luckily I didn't.

So, having said all that, my point is that you shouldn't rush through everything, but if you're anything like me you might be ready when you think you aren't. Definitely keep the free retakes in mind, that's what gave me the balls to take the exams when I didn't feel ready.

Im starting my CCNP this week actually. Finally done with school and now it's time to get my certs out the way. I just ordered the books and hopefully I'll see yall soon in CCNP land.

EDIT: Vito & others, how long did it take you from the 1st exam to get yours?

Started the CCNP in October last year, about to finish this month. I also did the CCDA during that timeframe though and some other things... so if you focus solely on the exams you could probably do it faster.

Haha, if you're ever in NYC let me know. Considering you just moved, that won't be any time soon :D

Haven't moved yet. Planning to move back to Tampa in a few weeks. I'm trying to secure a job first. NYC seems like a cool place to live, but the cost of living is ridiculous.

NYC is somewhat more expensive than other cities, but not as much as people tend to believe. Sure, if you live a lavish lifestyle getting table service at clubs and buying chicks grey goose bottles there every week, you'll run into issues.

But yeah, more often than not, your salary accommodates for the difference anyway. The city is obviously in a crisis right now, but that has actually benefited me significantly by giving expanded responsibilities.

I'll probably leave here someday, but I don't plan to until my late 20s at the earliest.

grats on the ccnp pass. i go to a techschool where alot of guys are taking ccna and ccnp. its not an easy course.

I am a CCNP, took some time off to get married, now thinking about CCIE. I use both a physical lab and Dynamips ... I am going to have to consult w/ Xphile about getting a dedicated Dynamips box in my rack. It is much more impressive to show off a huge rack of routers to guests ;)

I think we should all start a consulting firm someday. We're gonna need a CCIE voice though... who's gonna take one for the team? :D

Actually, I know a few of those here at work and another one going for it soon.

I was talking about that with someone last night haha. Like a huge national consulting firm. We could even get some Windows guys and coders, we could take over the world! Hahaha.

I think we should all start a consulting firm someday. We're gonna need a CCIE voice though... who's gonna take one for the team? :D

Actually, I know a few of those here at work and another one going for it soon.

Isn't WesM3 a big voice guy?

Isn't WesM3 a big voice guy?

*hides*

Actually, I switched. R&S at heart, i just ordered all my stuff to really start studying for my CCIE:R&S.

Does a CCVP count for anything? ;)

Thanks to xphil's spamming, i've been playing with GNS3, awesome tool. (Although, it kills my laptop)

EDIT: Congrats OP on passing the NP!

Back