Who will win the Next Gen console war????

Well, I think Microsoft will "win." A couple months after the 360 came out, there were a whole bunch of people who waited 12 hours or paid $1,000 to get one who were going, "Wait, why the hell did I want one of these so badly?" Why? Because they were realizing, beyond the graphics, there wasn't really anything that made any of the launch games next-gen, or progressive in any sense - except the graphics. Why do I need to spend another $500, and then however much it's going to cost me for an HDTV because my EDTV-resolution projector won't look as good, on a game system whose sole advantage is graphics power? Isn't that why I spent as much as I did on a PC?

On the other hand, I want Nintendo to blow Sony and Microsoft out of the water. To me, the difference between MS and Sony, and Nintendo, is that Nintendo is a gaming company, whereas MS and Sony are entertainment companies. Nintendo makes games, and MS and Sony make entertainment, i.e., they represent the devolution (or evolution, as it would be called by some people with truly odd notions of progress) of gaming into just another form of mass-media, with only a few positive aspects (talking about PS4 with your uncle) and all of the negative aspects (SOCOM 7: Operation Hellgate, President Lieberman, etc.) that come with that territory.

I say we get Ballmer and the sony dude Kutaragi in a steel cage death match to determine the winner.

I'd pay to see that.

I WILL WIN. At least with such fierce competition games *should* get better. In that sense nintendo should win if people need new games and new game types. Microsoft should win for the best PC ports/Online games.. annd ugh ps3? ummm.. Biggest console?

I don't have alot to comment on for the ps3, as its more secretive then the Rev.

I have heard some funky rumors about the Nintendo side, there is an official NDA on their games and such that will be lifted at the end of april *apparently*.

Atleast the Rev HAS games for it, PS3 doesn't seem to have anything at the moment.

Mazgazine1 said:
I WILL WIN. At least with such fierce competition games *should* get better. In that sense nintendo should win if people need new games and new game types. Microsoft should win for the best PC ports/Online games.. annd ugh ps3? ummm.. Biggest console?

I don't have alot to comment on for the ps3, as its more secretive then the Rev.

I have heard some funky rumors about the Nintendo side, there is an official NDA on their games and such that will be lifted at the end of april *apparently*.

Atleast the Rev HAS games for it, PS3 doesn't seem to have anything at the moment.

Actually you bring up an excellent point. The consumer wins. Each system really caters to a different type of gaming...and we have a price conscious option with Revolution. The consumer really is winning in this case. I'm planning on all three but the Ps3 won't make it into my game room until the "killer apps" start to come out.

You have to define win before you can even have this discussion.

Nintendo will continue to be profitable
Microsoft will continue to buy marketshare with excess cash from other divisions
Sony will... umm, err, hard to tell.

Sony really needs the PS3 to hit a homerun.

The consumer doesn't always win. If you think we're winning whenever they develop a title for multiple platforms and then gimp it with the limitations of *all* the platforms, think again. :)

eastvillager said:
You have to define win before you can even have this discussion.again. :)

hmmm. Well a winner will be defined as on the company side: we have our console in the house, and they own more then 5 games, and buy atleast 2 a month.

A winner for the consumer side: I have bought a console for a 'satisfying' price, I bought many games I play for hours and hours and I look forward to even more games in the future for 'that' console; OR, I have all the consoles and a PC and I have to take a year off work just to play all the excellent out-of-the-box wicked games and I can't complain at all becuase they are PERFECT.

Mazgazine1 said:
OR, I have all the consoles and a PC and I have to take a year off work just to play all the excellent out-of-the-box wicked games and I can't complain at all becuase they are PERFECT.

hold your breath..

im not happy with the way sony handles their proprietary formats... i will not support them with blu-gay. i wont buy the players, and i wont buy the ps3.

they just really rub me the wrong way. :(

Jason711 said:
hold your breath..

im not happy with the way sony handles their proprietary formats... i will not support them with blu-gay. i wont buy the players, and i wont buy the ps3.

they just really rub me the wrong way. :(

Blu-Ray isnt a proprietary format.

Naldo said:
Blu-Ray isnt a proprietary format.
No, but we are damn sure that Sony is trying to push it like one. They want it to end up being the end all platform for content. I think Blu-Ray is great and all, but I also think that HD-DVD is a million times more practical. The maufacturing is tried and true, the space is more than plenty, it's something "normal" people are familiar with-HD-DVD is just all around more...."logical"

the DS Diet Lite 2 will win all or the next next nintendo system

[QUOTE= " the GC controller makes me want to eat babies "
That's the funniest shit ever heard :D you should be a console comediian.

Win what? Most sales? Highest profit? Best profit margin? More market share?

As much as I'd love to see Sony eat shit (not proverbially either) and die, and M$ and N* go neck and neck, I think it'll be the same as it is now.

Nintendo will probably manage to rake in mounds of cash again. Sony will crash and burn (I wish). MS will lose a couple billion but continue the fight anyway.

gamz247 said:
MiniDisc was ruined when it was introduced.

Minidisc was, and is still, awesome. Before MP3 players you could have a super small music device that is nearly impossible to make skip, gets great battery life, and lets you record live. I still use my minidisc player all the time.

Naldo said:
Why do so many people dislike sony? I'm just wondering,

When it comes to Sony, I'm starting to think of them more and more like I do about Apple. Both Sony and Apple do have their good products, but they have a few problems when it comes to how they treat their customers. When either releases a product, they expect their customers to get two more jobs and jump off a cliff to pay for it. Both do work hard on coming out with new products, but it's a toss up whether it becomes the new standard, or leaves the customer with a proprietary product that soon becomes useless. I think both could improve on how to treat a customer like they really do matter and not just as cattle expected to buy their product and like it even if it may not work. That being said, I still do buy Sony products and I really like their products as well, but their company really needs to work on how they treat their customers.

As a side note, I have to say how impressed I am at this thread not turning into a flame war and how nice it is to read the good points that people have with a few jokes thrown in.

Chad Tevelde said:
When it comes to Sony, I'm starting to think of them more and more like I do about Apple. Both Sony and Apple do have their good products, but they have a few problems when it comes to how they treat their customers. When either releases a product, they expect their customers to get two more jobs and jump off a cliff to pay for it. Both do work hard on coming out with new products, but it's a toss up whether it becomes the new standard, or leaves the customer with a proprietary product that soon becomes useless. I think both could improve on how to treat a customer like they really do matter and not just as cattle expected to buy their product and like it even if it may not work. That being said, I still do buy Sony products and I really like their products as well, but their company really needs to work on how they treat their customers.

Well said, I would just add that it seems like every month there is some new scandal (DRM, prerendered E3) or a product that Sony has gutted for profit. I'm still bitter over what SOE did to Everquest and later the CF that would be known as SWG. :mad:

The more I see the more I associate them with shady business practices and inferior 'throw it out there and milk it quick' products. I'm not stupid enough to think that the company really cares about the consumer - they want our money, rightly and as any company would, but Sony does a pitiful job at even the PR spin on making you think they have your best interests at heart. Abuse your customers and you will lose them.

I credit Xbox Live for the vast majority of the phenom that now is online console gaming. What has Sony contributed to this? Hint: You can tally their score on one hand. People can hate MS all they want, but not giving them credit for making the market competitive again is blind ignorance. All this said, don't get the wrong idea. I don't want them to put Sony out of the business, quite the contrary, I want fierce competition. Remember the days when Nintendo and Sega were neck and neck? Best gaming of all time.

when i first heard about 360 i thought it was the shit. Now im looking at all the shit Sony is putting into the PS3 and thinking damn that will be the shit! Then i think to myself - wait PC games are the shit, because i have more control over what i do with the game and come to the conclusion i probably wont buy a either Consoles. Why? because PS3 and 360 seem to offer nothing over the PC other than a few exclusive titles that arent all that great (example Halo).

Then i think of nintendo and what they are doing with that and i think to myself wow they have some really interesting ideas. Some of the best games i ever played were on nintendo systems. That combined with the fact nintendo system will be cheaper brings me to the conclusion that ill be buying the Rev.

HOWEVER for the majority of people who play games will probably go with 360 or PS3. I see a dead lock between the two kind of like the genesis vs snes. however, I think the price of the PS3 is really going to hurt sony.

It would be nice to see some innovation instead the same old ideas rehashed with new graphics and a few new features.

Molingrad said:
when i first heard about 360 i thought it was the shit. Now im looking at all the shit Sony is putting into the PS3 and thinking damn that will be the shit! Then i think to myself - wait PC games are the shit, because i have more control over what i do with the game and come to the conclusion i probably wont buy a either Consoles. Why? because PS3 and 360 seem to offer nothing over the PC other than a few exclusive titles that arent all that great (example Halo).

Major benefit of the 360 (and hopefully the PS3) over a PC is that the entire console costs less than a new video-card + cpu or a top notch video card in general. Plus, you don't have to deal with compatibility issues, drivers, opening up the case or anythng else.

Consoles make it simple, with the PS2, Xbox or 360 the graphics are more than good enough, and they hook into a TV with a lot more ease than your average HTPC.

Back