Who wants/is getting a Nexus One when it comes to Verizon? VS Droid?

On Verizon, would you rather have the Droid or Nexus one?

• Nexus One

Votes: 37 56.1%
  • Droid

Votes: 29 43.9%

• Total voters

BigBeef

Limp Gawd
Well at some point, Google will release the Nexus to Verizon. Hopefully very soon because I am looking to get rid of my crappy BlackBerry. I know the Droid is pretty boss but I recently used a Nexus on T-Mobile and it's sweet! I'm now leaning more towards the Nexus...

So who wants one or is getting one? I'm interested to know what [H] thinks of it. The rep at T-Mobile said it will be the same Nexus One but with some updates.

The wife is due for an upgrade on the 9th, so I'm considering giving her my Droid and getting a N1. But I can't imagine the N1 being any better then the Droid. I don't think I can due without a phyical keyboard and any CPU advantage has been negated by my Droid being OC'd to 1.2 GHz. What I'll prolly end up doing is getting her an Eris or Droid depending on what deal I can get on either of them. I don't think they could match that Amazon price of $20 for Droid, but I doubt I can use that just for an upgrade since I still have 1.5 years left on my contract. Is Verizon still not going to be selling these in-store? If not, the N1 is simply not going to sell well and I don't know hot Google expects to move a lot of these phones by restricting them to online-only sales. They need to at least have demo units in store.

So, as tempting as the N1 is, for me, I think if falls short in most areas compared to the Droid (screen quality (pretty colors don't count), keyboard, much higher mod/ROM community). But I can't really make a fair comparison until I see one and play with it. I have yet to see one in stores or in the wild yet. It seems like some phone myth to me right now, hah. I don't think I would like making posts like this on a N1 like I just did with my Droid either ;). I like being able to see the whole screen while typing.

Last edited:
Droid has the keyboard, better design, better screen for text and now it has 2.1. Nexus One has had plenty of issues and it isn't even out on VZW yet.

I'm partial to the Droid mostly because I'm sick of HTC's design language and the Droid really outdid everything prior to it.

They are both good phones. Either would work well for someone, depending on their particular likes/dislikes

Both good phones. I have a Droid and I've played with an N1. I much prefer my Droid over the N1 but that's just personal preference.

I'm going to get a N1, since that's the only way for me to try it out. If I have too many issues, I'll trade it in for a Droid but I really don't want to have to do that.

So, as tempting as the N1 is, for me, I think if falls short in most areas compared to the Droid (screen quality (pretty colors don't count), keyboard, much higher mod/ROM community).

I think once the N1 is on a few more carriers we'll really start seeing more mods. ;)

I'm going to get a N1, since that's the only way for me to try it out. If I have too many issues, I'll trade it in for a Droid but I really don't want to have to do that.
Me too. Droid's a little too big and I don't really care for the keyboard.

Droid, but the moment something comes out from Google which has a physical keyboard and works on Verizon I'll run fast from the clusterfuck known as Motorola.

I actually did want a hardware keyboard on my next phone, even though I'm not a text-ing madman like my sister (2K+ a month, easy), I send maybe 200-400 a month tops... Having the keyboard just makes replying to client e-mails and doing searches quicker tho, I do have a little bit of experience w/a soft keyboard (iPod touch) and I'm reasonably fast with it but a hardware one is still faster imo. Landscape mode on the iPod touch is kind of a catch-22, faster than portrait mode but you have to scroll constantly if you're writing a long-ish e-mail. I suppose it's the same for most touch-screen only phones...

OTOH I was partial to a hard portrait keyboard form-factor like the Pre's... However, since I'm with AT&T (and the only other valid choice w/3G coverage where I live is Sprint) I'll soon be ordering a Nexus One for the full sticker price, $520 or w/e it is... That is unless AT&T releases an Android phone without butchering it first, I'm giving 'em 'till May. I'll probably renew my contract anyway to buy an iPhone and sell it for a profit, though I'm not sure if I'm better off waiting for the new one to do so, just a matter of which one would net me the biggest profit.

Isn't it kinda funny that Verizon may soon end up w/the widest variety of phone choices... Between the N1 or Incredible, the Droid, and the Pre+... No one else has that trifecta yet no? Then there's all the rumors of the iPhone heading to VZW... Is AT&T just trying to re-negotiate an expanded exclusivity period or what? Sprint's also getting the N1 and they'll have the EVO 4G in June I guess, no Android phone w/a hardware keyboard tho.

Man, I wish Verizon hadn't left Puerto Rico, AT&T has turned into what Verizon used to be... :(

That AT&T has turned into what Verizon used to be? Well, Verizon used to lock down their phones tighter than anyone else, and resisted the use of unlocked phones on their network for a while, they were basically the most restrictive carrier out there... AT&T seems to be following that trend lately by not releasing any info at all on future phones for fear or souring their relationship w/Apple (or worse), butchering the few Android devices they have released by imposing a lot of artificial limitations on them, etc etc.

The Nexus One sounds good, but my sights are set on the HTC Incredible. I'm really anxious. My BB Storm gets more geriatric by the day.

The Samsung Moment and soon to be released Moment 2, and the soon to be released Moto Android phone.

Oops, you're right, forgot about the Moment... Guess it's a close call between Sprint and Verizon then, as far as current and future phone choices (that we know of). The original Moment got kind of a lukewarm reception no? I haven't read much about the Moment 2, the keyboard looks pretty nice from the leaked photo I just saw tho... Almost looks the same as that of the cheaper Samsung Impression dumbphone. I've used that keyboard and it's pretty decent, altho I'm not a big fan of rubber buttons, makes it feel less responsive imo.

I'm waiting on the EVO - having 4G in the Seattle area I'm looking forward to quick speeds, but having a 4G hotspot for 8 devices is epic - Its like having a Lanparty in your pocket

The T Mobile rep says he has a hard time selling Motorola because they've 'dropped the ball' on a lot of their phones. I'm not sure what he meant...can anyone elaborate?

I'm willing to bet Google will continue selling the N1 on it's website for Verizon like it's doing for T Mobile. It's a money thing...it's cheaper to sell it through their own media, plus they keep all the profit and likely share none of it with Verizon.

I just played with another Droid a second ago. This guy says he never uses the physical keyboard. I'm not a fan of how the keys are offset from each side...from the left, your thumb is close to the A key but from the right, your thumb has to pass over blank space and the button to get to L...my fingers feel goofy because my right thumb has to move farther than my left.

Leaning more towards the Nexus again...

Beef, Motorola had a reputation for the past 4 years of being one of the worst manufacturers out there. As the story goes:

They come out with the Razr, and it's a HUGE hit, and the phone is going for $499 AFTER subsidy. At the time, the best selling phone of all time, until the iPhone comes along. They win tons of awards, both for quality and design.

The design team asks for a raise, thinking that they deserve one after they made Motorola a huge amount of money. Motorola breaks out the sandpaper condom and fires the majority of them, relying on the initial basic design structure to shape the company product line for years to come, which QUICKLY gets stale.

Moto is now a company in financial trouble, and are cutting costs EVERYWHERE, especially in their factories. Batteries are the first to turn to shite, the LCDs are next. The solder on the charging ports comes soon after, then the flex cable between the flips. At the end of the Razr run in 2008, Moto phones are basically disposable bic lighters at this point.

Flash forward a few, and the Droid comes out. Everyone is scared they will follow trend with their build quality, and the initial audio cutout gives everyone a nice fright, but it seems they turned the corner. HOWEVER, most dealers (and a LOT of customers) still hold that stigma that Moto is shit, just like for years people were under the impression that Moto was good when they weren't.

I would wait for the HTC Desire... it is bassically the nexus one but an upgrade of it... instead of track ball its sensor pad, much like the new e72 and blackberry 9700. I'm waiting for that!

I'm not sure why Verizon would get both the Nexus One and the Incredible/Desire... They're almost the same phone but for Sense and a few tweaks (optical pad, speaker placement, etc.). I guess if Google sells the VZW N1 online only (possibly not even subsidized, like the AT&T version) and Verizon sells the Incredible in stores it'd fit, looks like they're launching it on the 25th along with a few other phones too (see Engadget today)... And still no announcements out of AT&T, argh.

I'm with you on that.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Incredible have a downclocked CPU and 1/2 the RAM? Not to mention the funny back?

It'll be interesting to see what happens here w/ the Nexus/Passion/Incredible debacle.

sandpaper condom

That sounds brutal as hell.

Yeah I've heard about the Desire and Incredible...counting the Nexus, they're all freakin' HTC. HTC! can't double dip enough in all carrier's chip bowls. I still like the Nexus though because it's Google's phone and I like Google :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Incredible have a downclocked CPU and 1/2 the RAM? Not to mention the funny back?

It'll be interesting to see what happens here w/ the Nexus/Passion/Incredible debacle.

The specs are almost identical to those found in the Nexus One but this has an 8 megapixel camera with autofocus, an optical trackball the 1GHZ Snapdragon is underclocked to 768.

From here

I think the reason I passed on the Desire is because it has HTC Sense....I forgot what, but there's something I didn't like about that.

HTC Desire Specs

HTC Incredible Specs

Nexus One Specs

Looks like the main differences the Incredible has vs the Nexus is: 8 vs 5mp camera, 1300 mAh vs 1400 mAh battery, 768mhz vs 1ghz Snapdragon (Probably overclockable though), same ram/rom, Optical trackball vs physical trackball, same screen size. Hm! The Incredible does sound good.

Last edited:
Samsung + Android = Hell. Don't buy a Samsung smartphone.

Theres nothing wrong with the moment. Its the next best thing to the droid if you want a hardware keyboard.

VZW is gathering a pretty kick ass arsenal of phones but with the n1, EVO and moment 2 coming to sprint i like the sprint lineup better (For android anyway). The EVO just seems like a god compared to this current generation of android phones, but then again by December it will be outdated. :p

Theres nothing wrong with the moment. Its the next best thing to the droid if you want a hardware keyboard.

Samsung has poor support for their phones though, because they have too damn many of them. In my experience they do not stand behind their mobile products.

There are plenty of phones I can remember from different companies that were great phones of their time, like the Nokia N95, the HTC Touch, the Curve 8300, et alia. I can't remember a single damn Samsung phone because they're all so blah and their mobile phone division seems to just fire out random new models and forget about them. Years from now people will still remember the Nexus One and Droid and 3GS, but I'm not sure if anyone will think "oh wait there was also the Samsung Moment."

It's a damn shame, too. Their phones usually have great hardware, they're just let down by the company.

To be fair, maybe it's just me.

Samsung has poor support for their phones though, because they have too damn many of them. In my experience they do not stand behind their mobile products.

There are plenty of phones I can remember from different companies that were great phones of their time, like the Nokia N95, the HTC Touch, the Curve 8300, et alia. I can't remember a single damn Samsung phone because they're all so blah and their mobile phone division seems to just fire out random new models and forget about them. Years from now people will still remember the Nexus One and Droid and 3GS, but I'm not sure if anyone will think "oh wait there was also the Samsung Moment."

It's a damn shame, too. Their phones usually have great hardware, they're just let down by the company.

To be fair, maybe it's just me.

You are probably right, i have not ran into a problem with my moment yet but there are a ridiculous amount of samsung phones out there. As far as remembering the moment, its pretty hard to remember a phone that was never advertised in a time where phones where advertised to death.

I do know that HTC's support is pretty stellar and they do stand behind their phones, thats why im super pumped for the evo.

You are probably right, i have not ran into a problem with my moment yet but there are a ridiculous amount of samsung phones out there. As far as remembering the moment, its pretty hard to remember a phone that was never advertised in a time where phones where advertised to death.

I do know that HTC's support is pretty stellar and they do stand behind their phones, thats why im super pumped for the evo.

You're exactly right. Samsung doesn't put much marketing dollars into their phones, they count on the carriers to advertise for them. So they have a ton of decent-hardware phones with very little support and none of them are high-profile releases.

Yeah, HTC makes amazing products. The build quality is really solid and only their oldest products fell off the radar. I still think the Nexus One for Verizon will be worth it over the Droid for the superior hardware and faster support, though not if the former isn't subsidized. I wouldn't pay $529 for the Nexus One. I only paid $520 for my Milestone so I could use a $10 unlimited data plan with it (saving $480 over a two-year commitment vs. a comparable smartphone). The Droid is a very attractive phone at its current subsidized pricing.

Also the HTC Evo will be great, but I'm not sure if it's worth it at this point to be much faster than the Nexus One. It's as fast as Android gets ATM and any faster is just extravagance. :p

I think that allowing a 4G phone to be a hotspot *cough* HTC Evo *cough* will be a game-changer. If Sprint keeps the cost reasonable, the Evo could make that company. Provided that wimax latency issues are dealt with.

Yeah I first have to know what the selling price will be for the Nexus...I assume it will be cheaper with a new/renewal contract as oppose to buying it outright in the middle a contract, which is silly, unless it's an emergency. I'm part of a family plan so I'm sure someone in the plan has an upgrade option and/or coupons. I only paid $100 for my BB because someone else in the plan had an upgrade option in which I'm eligible for upgrade pricing versus full pricing and my dad has a $100 off coupon that was transferred to me. I like how Verizon lets you transfer that stuff because otherwise I would have walked. They let you transfer deals like that because otherwise people will walk and they lose business. So yeah I need to know what the going price will be.

I was really looking forward to this phone at the beginning of the year but with 4g on the horizon on and no nexus one release yet, I'm thinking about skipping it.

I have a question for those who use the Gmail app on Android...

On my BlackBerry, I use the system's email app, not the Gmail app. If I look at an email on my phone, it will show it as read on my phone as well as in my actual Gmail account. But if I read an email in my actual Gmail account, it does not mark it as read on my phone. So I have to clear it there as well and it becomes annoying when there's 20 messages I just read that I have to clear again from my phone.

I was wondering what the effects are on an Android phone..does it mark emails as read regardless of where you look at it or does it doe the same as BlackBerries?

I have a question for those who use the Gmail app on Android...

On my BlackBerry, I use the system's email app, not the Gmail app. If I look at an email on my phone, it will show it as read on my phone as well as in my actual Gmail account. But if I read an email in my actual Gmail account, it does not mark it as read on my phone. So I have to clear it there as well and it becomes annoying when there's 20 messages I just read that I have to clear again from my phone.

I was wondering what the effects are on an Android phone..does it mark emails as read regardless of where you look at it or does it doe the same as BlackBerries?

My 9700 marks my Gmail e-mails as read just fine..

Back