Who wants a Ryzen 9 laptop?

TheRookie

Limp Gawd
As you know, AMD has had a hard time getting OEMs to use its processors instead of Intel's in their laptops.

What's a better way to get attention than to release the world's fastest laptop processor?

Yes, Intel has the 8 cores Core i9-9980HK, but the TDP is a lie.

That processor can't reach its potential because it throttles most of the time.

AMD will leverage the efficiency of 7nm to make 8-cores mobile processors that surpass those of Intel.

Last edited:
I think the adoption will be slow, but steady. Let's wait for reviews first.

I'd take 6 cores that boost very high over 8 that clock lower, especially for a laptop. So maybe a superclocked 6 core from AMD?

I prefer a fully passive laptop that still has decent performance...we should be capable of that by now, right?

As you know, AMD has had a hard time getting OEMs to use its processors instead of Intel's in their laptops.

What's a better way to get attention than to release the world's fastest laptop processor?

That processor can't reach its potential because it throttles most of the time.

AMD will leverage the efficiency of 7nm to make 8-cores mobile processors that surpass those of Intel.

for those that are interested, should head over to notebookreview forum as they are kinda all of the laptop enthusiast gathered in one place. currently laptops uses 9900k that can somewhat cool them are alienware, clevo and the upcoming GT76 titan. alienware being TDP capped at 125% of 95w which is barely PL2 for intel spec, as well as GT76 titan comes with soldered GPU with no upgrade path. the only one here is P870TM-R from HID/clevo however clevo has no plans to make AMD laptops anytime soon.

if anyone does make them first likely will be either MSI/ASUS, or even Acer with 12-16 cores.

9900k intel 95w TDP is for baseclock - with boost clock it'll be 150w easily.
3900x zen2 105w TDP is for boostclocks.

for those that are interested, should head over to notebookreview forum as they are kinda all of the laptop enthusiast gathered in one place. currently laptops uses 9900k that can somewhat cool them are alienware, clevo and the upcoming GT76 titan. alienware being TDP capped at 125% of 95w which is barely PL2 for intel spec, as well as GT76 titan comes with soldered GPU with no upgrade path. the only one here is P870TM-R from HID/clevo however clevo has no plans to make AMD laptops anytime soon.

if anyone does make them first likely will be either MSI/ASUS, or even Acer with 12-16 cores.

9900k intel 95w TDP is for baseclock - with boost clock it'll be 150w easily.
3900x zen2 105w TDP is for boostclocks.

If Acer would update their bios, you could drop one in the helios 500. It'll run a 2700 at 4.0 all core without issue, so should be able to handle a stock ryzen 9. Just needs a bios.

I'm done with boat anchors, regardless of CPU vendor.

Now a six-core APU in say a 14" XPS-style/grade laptop? Yup.

I am surprised AMD etc not do laptop/phone designs mainly because of how "infinite variable" their clock/voltage ranges are and due this, their temperature thresholds are awesome.

what I mean is, my phone has 4 cores that re only clocked 400mhz slower then the 4 fast core which top out at 2.26ghz, where my CPU has 4 cores that I can "declock" to 400Mhz and it can "auto clock" to 4.2...watts go from 35w (kill-a-watt) to 102w (normal my use) and consumer "gaming" GPU range for clocks/voltage is even more astounding...in other words....for a awesome as mobile/smartphone chips are (they are, not doubt, still hella engineering) they (the chips) used for them still are a fraction of full blown desktop parts.

So why then have they not taken for example X of a Radeon something or other and same with whatever CPU blam they would have mucho awesome low power option out there in a jiffy....hell..take even a bulldozer, clock lock it to 2Ghz (lowest clock is I believe 200Mhz on them) while not a beast in desktop world, for mobile etc, especially phones and the like, one or 2 "clusters" or CCX (whatever want to label them as) would likely give some really nice results (mainly as they would have no choice but to voltage tune like crazy, and GCN as an example) scales exceptionally well with voltage as has AMD APU overall.

The TDP is configurable. Performance in the laptop space depends almost entirely on the number of cores and how well they're cooled.

For the lower TDP chassis, Intel has worked hard on 'race to idle' profiles that allow the smaller laptops to still be responsive and benefit from more cores and faster clocks, while still maintaining decent performance under sustained loads while preserving battery life when under use but not under sustained loads.

What I'd like to see is AMD actually doing similar optimizations; their mobile APUs brought the performance, but their battery life was so bad that it knocked them out of the running.

Very few folks. 1) driver issues which have been corrected 2) They run hot and require active cooling aka plugged in laptop

If Acer would update their bios, you could drop one in the helios 500. It'll run a 2700 at 4.0 all core without issue, so should be able to handle a stock ryzen 9. Just needs a bios.

yea man, this is the issue with laptop space that these OEMs and intel getting away with bs stunt yrs after yrs.

for desktop, there would be outrage if a mobo OEM not to give out updated bios to support latest gen hardware assuming socket can be reused and meant to be upgradable from previous gen, ie 8700k to 9900k etc.

for laptop, they dont even bother and act like it is natural, and always have some dumb excuse to blame and makes no sense. they all want people to buy new laptop, same goes with all the reason why they soldered bs GPU/CPU onto the motherboard.

I hear the Apple A series processors are pretty beast.

I'll be honest, in the last 3-4 years I use my phone a lot more than I do my laptop anymore. Maybe part of that is because most of my work is just responding to email, but I never needed a full blown laptop for that.

About the only time I pull out the clamshell any more is when I need to work on a Office document or use a terminal.

Eh, I’ve got a MacBook Pro with a 2c/4t i5 and I’m plenty content with its performance. I don’t do much heavy lifting on my laptop. Internet, email, office apps, remote support for my clients and that’s about it. On rare occasion I’ll use iMovie to edit a small video clip. I get some people use them as desktop replacements so for those folks I can understand the desire, but it wouldn’t really excite me none.

Give me a Ryzen 9 3950X, 16 cores in a laptop and I'll take it. I dont care about thinness, so make it beefy with overkill cooling. 17 to 19 inch screen, 144 Hz and with decent GPU choices, internal and external expand-ability and done.

I'll be honest, in the last 3-4 years I use my phone a lot more than I do my laptop anymore. Maybe part of that is because most of my work is just responding to email, but I never needed a full blown laptop for that.

About the only time I pull out the clamshell any more is when I need to work on a Office document or use a terminal.
There are definitely times when I need the full computer, but cell phones do offer a lot of capability. Primary thing they're missing is ports and screen size.

Give me a Ryzen 9 3950X, 16 cores in a laptop and I'll take it. I dont care about thinness, so make it beefy with overkill cooling. 17 to 19 inch screen, 144 Hz and with decent GPU choices, internal and external expand-ability and done.

...why make it a 'laptop' (cough) instead of just building out ITX? This boat anchor would be far from portable :D.

...why make it a 'laptop' (cough) instead of just building out ITX? This boat anchor would be far from portable :D.

Having both, the big laptop is way more convenient. No carrying a keyboard and mouse around, no finding a monitor or tv etc. Just need a plug and wifi and you're good.

Having both, the big laptop is way more convenient. No carrying a keyboard and mouse around, no finding a monitor or tv etc. Just need a plug and wifi and you're good.

Not disagreeing on bare portability... but they'd better be good. I want XPS15-grade stuff, and well, that doesn't come cheap :D

Are you a 4'3" girl? Grow some muscles. Who cares if a laptop weighs 1 lbs or 15 lbs. It's the margin of error of a morning wizz anyway. :D

Are you a 4'3" girl? Grow some muscles. Who cares if a laptop weighs 1 lbs or 15 lbs. It's the margin of error of a morning wizz anyway. :D

Oh it's not just the laptop weight, as I carry around plenty of other kit (see photography section in sig).

But when I can carry around a quad-core ultrabook with 16GB of RAM and a 2TB SSD that's right at two pounds, maybe two and a half with the charger, going up to ten pounds or more for a DTR and charger stops making sense real quick.

I'm done with boat anchors, regardless of CPU vendor.

Now a six-core APU in say a 14" XPS-style/grade laptop? Yup.

I hear you on weight, however I can not even remotely function in most work related tasks on a laptop with less than a 17 inch display. I find myself at a disadvantage even at 17 inch.. This is probably a result of having 2+ large monitors at work for 20+ years. For other tasks a 10 inch tablet is just fine so I don't need a small screen laptop.

I sit here typing on a 6C/12T 17 inch laptop sitting on a folding tv tray table...

AMD needs to get their 7nm APUs out as soon as possible. They need one with at least a 6 core CPU.

I hear you on weight, however I can not even remotely function in most work related tasks on a laptop with less than a 17 inch display. I find myself at a disadvantage even at 17 inch.

I'd get my eyes checked... I regularly use 2x24" at work, 2x30" at home (with 2x24" stacked to the side), a 55" 1080p in the bedroom, where my old 17" DTR sits, and my 13" ultrabook for travel or even for web stuff when watching something in the bedroom. I switch between them fluidly.

The 17" DTR is staying in the bedroom :D

I'll also note that the ultrabook being so lightweight adds to its usability- you just bring it closer. To me, it's easier to read up close than the 55", with them both at 1080p.

Oh it's not just the laptop weight, as I carry around plenty of other kit (see photography section in sig).

But when I can carry around a quad-core ultrabook with 16GB of RAM and a 2TB SSD that's right at two pounds, maybe two and a half with the charger, going up to ten pounds or more for a DTR and charger stops making sense real quick.
Different use case. I like raw power. I don't want to sit around waiting for the machine to finish. I want the machine to finish way ahead of me.

Any laptop I have touched with AMD chips over the last 2-3 years has just felt painfully slow, maybe this is why you only find AMD chips in low end budget laptops....

Any laptop I have touched with AMD chips over the last 2-3 years has just felt painfully slow, maybe this is why you only find AMD chips in low end budget laptops....
My A6-3400m Gateway was great until it started bsod'ing randomly. I think it's either a bad update or my ssd is failing, but it's probably time to retire the +3yr old $250 thing anyway.

Until recently, OEMs decided that anyone that wants an AMD-based laptop also want a slow hard drive with no SSD, and a low resolution screen with horrible contrast.

Intel's shortage basically forced OEMs to release better AMD-based laptops.

Recently the Ryzen based laptops have been decent. Not top end, but midrange versions. They are not as fast or as power efficient compared to the 6 core Intel CPU's, but they do come in significantly cheaper with the same configs. It encouraging to see that Intel finally has competition.

would be hilarious if they put MXM gpus into retail sales channels and (finally) lead the user configurable mobile space. i really just want a laptop i can actually upgrade and keep relevant, i'm mostly over having a desktop pc, but would still like gaming to be as good.

would be hilarious if they put MXM gpus into retail sales channels and (finally) lead the user configurable mobile space. i really just want a laptop i can actually upgrade and keep relevant, i'm mostly over having a desktop pc, but would still like gaming to be as good.

Hard to do MXM and put in a CPU socket (and socket everything else) and even remotely approach portability, let alone build something solidly- and if that could be done, the cost is astronomical. I'm not entirely sure it has been done.

I've resigned myself to upgrading laptops when needed.

Why not ? AMD deserves this chance to be true to consumers. Laptops will not only delighted from 7nm manufacture as well as it will be with much less in prices as compared to Intel core i9 9080HK.

They're going to need to ship some actually efficient mobile parts first. AMD CPUs / APUs burn through battery life- while Intel has been stuck on 14nm overall, this is what they've been working on for mobile, and they are way ahead. With AMD, you are trading potentially higher performance for more heat / noise and half the battery life.

Proper 7nm mobile Zen 2 APUs can't come fast enough.

Hard to do MXM and put in a CPU socket (and socket everything else) and even remotely approach portability, let alone build something solidly- and if that could be done, the cost is astronomical. I'm not entirely sure it has been done.

I've resigned myself to upgrading laptops when needed.
look up asrock's deskmini gtx series, i'm basically talking about that in a thick but not too thick laptop format, i guess.

i'll also add that i'm unconcerned with things like weight and as long as i can put it into a normal size backpack that's all i care about.

Back