Who wants a new Wing Commander or Freespace game?

New Wing Commander or Freespace?

• Wing Commander

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • Freespace

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Why not both

Votes: 57 51.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
the only way I would want a new WC commander game is if it was like the one with Mark Hamil, that one was the best of the series IMHO (i believe it was WC 2) Descent is still playale if you use the new executables for windows and Descent 3 runs just fine even in vista and 7

Last edited:
the only way I would want a new WC commander game is if it was like the one with Mark Hamil, that one was the best of the series IMHO (i believe it was WC 2) Descent is still playale if you use the new executables for windows and Descent 3 runs just fine even in vista and 7

I think Prophecy was the best WC.

This relates to the videogames should not be movies thread and I will post it there too.

Wing Commander 1 has a feature rarely seen in any other videogames - branching missions. In most and modern games, the story follows a set script. Certain things need to happen or you just fail and you have to restart over and over again until you get it right and the "movie" plot advances. This was the case in the latter Wing Commander games but there were elements of branching in some of them still.

Anyway, in Wing Commander 1, if you lost a mission, the game would just continue as if that were normal and that was your fate. However, it meant that the Confederacy was losing in the war and the more missions you lost, the more the Confederacy was pushed up against the wall and the Tiger's Claw ended up retreating to other sectors instead of gaining control over sectors and your missions would change and you would get darker and more desperate missions and storylines, etc. until the war was lost.

This relates to the videogames should not be movies thread and I will post it there too.

Wing Commander 1 has a feature rarely seen in any other videogames - branching missions. In most and modern games, the story follows a set script. Certain things need to happen or you just fail and you have to restart over and over again until you get it right and the "movie" plot advances. This was the case in the latter Wing Commander games but there were elements of branching in some of them still.

Anyway, in Wing Commander 1, if you lost a mission, the game would just continue as if that were normal and that was your fate. However, it meant that the Confederacy was losing in the war and the more missions you lost, the more the Confederacy was pushed up against the wall and the Tiger's Claw ended up retreating to other sectors instead of gaining control over sectors and your missions would change and you would get darker and more desperate missions and storylines, etc. until the war was lost.

Damn straight. That's part of why I loved WC the series. We need a modern update... BADLY!!!

I'd have to go with Wing Commander, WC 1,2 and Prophecy were my absolute favorites.

3 and 4 were ok, but they focused too much on FMV.

I blame Starcraft II's cantina/armory/lab/bridge setup for making me remember and miss the WC games :(

Leaning towards a New Freespace. But if I had a choice, it would be a sequel to Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos - That game was epic for me :D

Did any of you see the animated Wing Commander TV show back in the day? If I remember correctly, wcnews.com had links for them (the show was definitely better than the movie). Also, the WC books were pretty good.

Personally, I want a new Privateer or even the abandoned Privateer Online (the prospective game engine was later turned into Jumpgate). I loved WC, and am still pissed I never got to play Super Wing Commander for the 3DO system.

Leaning towards a New Freespace. But if I had a choice, it would be a sequel to Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos - That game was epic for me :D

+1

I-war and I-War 2 were probably the ONLY games that actually felt like you were flying in space. And it was graphically utterly beautiful to boot. (pretty damn impressive for DX9) But I never finished I-War 2. The ambushes at Lagrange Points got very old.

BTW, GOG has both I-War games now in their catalog. If you guys want a hard space-sim with plenty of depth, check it out.

Don't forget X-wing/ Tie Fighter games.

A new WC game would be cool.

God Yes for Tie Fighter and xwing! They are still ranked up there with best games I've ever played. I think I bought Xwing three times lol. Once on floppy, once on CD, once accelerated graphics lol.

About twice a year I bitch with a friend about how no good sims come out anymore. I want my tie fighter and mechwarrior.

Quite obviously both, but I chose WC to show support since I'd much prefer that. The characters/stories in WC were much more interesting than what they had in Freespace.

And WC:privateer... I have logged more hours on that than any other game. And I play WoW.

I would love to see both. I had a great time with both games. Wish they would make some more.

And also MECHWARRIOR 5 DAMNIT!!!! :D

Sorry for the threadjack :D

WC: Privateer and Righteous Fire were my first real games. (aside: I played those games along with the first ever tycoon game: Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon.) Played them on a 386 IBM with windows 3.1 and DOS 6 lol :p

Anyway, I've dabbled with the dosbox remake of WC:p, but the damage/armor/gamespeed was too different for me compared to the original.

Even so, I can remember when I first got the steltek gun off the dead station, and had to escape with it... eluding the green egg and fighting off wave after wave of pirates, retro dudes and kilrathis. I was so happy after I beat WC:p lol, I couldn't believe it. RF was fun to play, too. Heck, I even liked the background music... and it was dynamic in game, based on presence/absence of combat, landing sequence, etc. Impressive for its time (1994?)

I'd love a new space combat/sim game in the WC series... (or a flight sim that actually involved military aircraft in legitimate dogfights!)

Back