Who uses a PHP debugger

Staples

Supreme [H]ardness
I have been writting PHP forever in a text editor and just recently wondered if there are any easy to understand debuggers out there. Because of PHP's very lenient compilation constrains, I usually end up with variables that are never used and the worst is when I misname variables only to figure out 30 minutes later that there is nothing wrong with my query string or form, it is that I am using a different variable name to extract the data.

I looked today to see if there were any and I came up with two. One was Eclipse with a PHP addon and the other was a program called PHP ED which was pretty expensive. I downloaded the trial of PHP Ed and have yet to touch it. I tried to figure out how Eclipse even worked and I had zero luck.

Does anyone use a PHP debugger/IDE? Most of my errors are solely because of incorrect variable names or the wrong parameters. If I could actually find a desent IDE with a debugger, it would save me a ton of time.

I've been writing PHP in a basic text editor for years, but I recently downloaded the latest Eclipse for PHP and Zend debugger, which you mentioned.

http://www.zend.com/en/community/pdt

I haven't actually gotten too deep into it yet. I'm still using my old text editor, but the other day I was working on some PHP pages which I knew probably had simple errors. So, I copied the problem pages into Eclipse and the errors were instantly highlighted.

I'll definitely start trying to move over to Eclipse for regular usage from now on.

I've never used a PHP debugger or IDE. Though I've been tempted to try out PDT a few times, just never had enough reason to try.

I use Dreamweavers code view for all my development, JS, HTML, PHP, etc.

I've never used a PHP debugger or IDE. Though I've been tempted to try out PDT a few times, just never had enough reason to try.

I use Dreamweavers code view for all my development, JS, HTML, PHP, etc.

Same situation here. I get by just fine with Dreamweaver's code highlighting to catch the easy syntax stuff, and PHP's built-in error reporting and some well placed echo lines to catch the rest. Never really had any reason to use anything else.

I like to enable all error reporting and output it to a text doc, any strange problems and other buggers are usually listed there!

For IDE I use the win32 version of Notpad++ :D

Same situation here. I get by just fine with Dreamweaver's code highlighting to catch the easy syntax stuff, and PHP's built-in error reporting and some well placed echo lines to catch the rest. Never really had any reason to use anything else.

+1 but i use notepad++ instead of dreamweaver.

echo lines solve everything.. i actually have ctrl+alt+L hotkeyed to write " echo "Y Helo Thar!"; "

makes life easier...

Back