Who uses 64bit XP?

s10010001

Supreme [H]ardness
Im board, thinking of loading my XP64 bit I bought but never really used for long peroid of time.

What is your offical thoughts on it now? Are most of you still running XP pro or have alot of you begain to use 64bit...

last time I tried, i was turned off by nero not working...

I would say most are still using a 32 bit version of XP. You also could search for the million and one threads of people giving their opinions. If you have a specific application or hardware part that your looking for answers on, post it, and we can look it up.

It's about the same. I swapped my key, so I'm stuck with 64, but I don't mind. As long as hardware manufacturers would get on the ball with simultaneous 32/64-bit driver releases (come on, if it's the same codebase, just build them twice already - ATI's doing it just fine) then I'll be happy.

The only thing I'm not happy about at the moment is that Creative's released drivers for x64 are 2.03. That's ahead of the released 32-bit driver, but behind the 32-bit beta driver everyone's using for Doom3 and BF2. Similarly, Nvidia's betas on Nzone are 32-bit only. If we're experimental enough to run a bleeding-edge OS, aren't we the perfect audience for pre-release drivers?

I wrote a review in This Thread. I will post that here, but will update it a bit.

Things I've noticed.

1. Driver support
-Yes... X850XTPE (Cat 5.7), nVidia chipset drivers, although I swear the IDE/SATA drivers make the load slower, and others have seen this as well [after another reinstall, I have not installed the IDE/SATA drivers nor the SMBUS driver and it is one of those 2 drivers that slow down the load. Windows works fine without them. AMD 64 CPU Driver does install fine, but I noticed no change, and on the most current install did not install the driver, ATiTool works fine.

-No... Logitech drivers won't work (MX Cordless Duo, see below). Windows drivers work, but I cant use all the buttons on the keyboard or mouse. Dell monitor drivers are a no show. But it works fine and I dont really see installing them anyway (USB ports work). Logitech has brought drivers but they still dont have them for the MX Cordless Duo, every thing else, but not my setup.

-Sound Cards are hit or miss, I use onboard sound and it words fine, nVidia drivers. I know you can find this out before you get x64, so if your sound card is not supported than you might want to hold off. Check out planetamd64.com they have a list of soundcard drivers.

2. Programs
-I wont list what I can get to work, but I will list what I can't get to work.
-3dMark, others had no problem, it crashes on my system in the first scene, and its not a video card problem. [EDIT: I got it to work through all scenes but it crashed at the end]
-Bad installs, I get an error for every so often (not too common) during the installation but all of these install. FarCry 64bit install works, but it goes NonResponsive in the begining (both files) and eventually (around 1 min) starts to load again.
-AquaMark, if I click on the icon it wont load. Error right away. I dont know how others have done with this.
-For most of the future mark products others have gotten them to work. I have gotten a few to work but get crappy scores. My scores do not reflect my preformance or my equipment. If you care about your PCMark score dont get x64.

3. Antivirus / Firewall
-I used Avast! as I am sure many other x64 users do. Its free and works. No AVG, yet. The major players (Norton. etc) are working on it or have them out already. EDIT: I now use Nod-32 much cleaner, and alot less annoying, hard to find as I think thier coming out of beta soon but if you can find the install.exe its much better than avast!
-Firewall, I use the MSI network adapter with the nVidia chipset firewall. I got the firewall program from nVidia drivers 6.56, but lost networking with the 6.56driver, so use the 6.25 drivers for network adapter. I never tried the 6.37 drivers. I still use nVidia firewall in combination with my Router Firewall, works fine.
-I noticed that Windows Firewall decided to turn itself back on after I told nVidia to turn it off druing the installation. Turned it off and it hasn't bothered me since.

4. Misc
-I have noticed nothing strange about preformance. FarCry runs flawless except the strange install noted above. HL2 runs flawless. BF2 runs as good as it can.
-32bit... Nero, Everst, CPU-Z, Quicktime, Clockgen, AtiTool all run fine.

-I have problems with Windows Media Player. I go to watch a video off thier "videos" tab (the music videos) and I get a script error. I dont know whos end thats on, but I think Microsoft would fix it. [I have since not tried this but all web apps work fine]
-FireFox (up to 1.04) work fine (haven't tried 1.05 or 1.06).
-DeerPark Alpha 1 and 2 work great, and 2 supports java, quicktime, flash and almost everything normal FF supports. See my DPA2 review here.

5. Installs
-I hit on some of the problems earlier, but most installations seem to know where they are to go. If its 32bit it goes into the Program Files (x86) folder effortlessly.
-If its a driver and wont work (like the Logitech) it gives you the error "not supported by this OS" right away, so its not half installed and then tell you. That sucks but its nice to know early on.

6. Random
Windows interface is almost identical. Msconfig runs the same, all other Windows tricks run the same. I haven't really done and Regedit things but the interface is the same. I will try skins, and update this but right now I am happy with Windows Classic look. I have since used Regedit and it works fine, most of the common edits work here.

I have it and havent had any trouble so far.

BF2 works better (for me) in XP64
SWG works at least as well if not better
EQ2 works great
KOTOR2 seems to work fine but I only played for about 20minutes

There is great improvments in the RAID and loading programs/movies. But I had problems running games. For example Battlefield 2 would just terminate after 30-45 minutes for no reason. World of Warcraft would work perfectly for days then have random freezing and reboots for no reason. Now I am back to Windows XP Pro and I don't have a single issue. I guess I didn't get lucky with certain games. I will wait for more future chipset and video driver updates before I make an attempt again.

3dmark05 demo on my machine seems to get only 1/2 the points I got in winxp 32... anyone know what the deal is?
edit: I was wrong, the score was fine

I just reinstalled x64 the other day, things have gotten much better in the driver area. Logitech finally released some mouse drivers, but they've stated the iTouch will not go 64 bit

I got my copy the other day and i installed dual boot with my xp pro 32bit ver. so if i have any problems i can always boot back to the old os. so for i need drivers for my HP scanjet 3500c scanner. other then that i'm running fine.

ive yet to hear anyone say theyve gotten noticable performance increases.
why go through driver hell for 1 fps?

Been using it for a few weeks and everything works great. Apps have no issues because Windows just runs in "32-bit mode" (even installs them in their own "Program Files x86" folder) but I do have one driver issue that makes me want to weep....

HP printers. No drivers. Go to HP's website and it even says, "There are no xp64 drivers and drivers for the 32-bit XP will not work in their place."

There's a HUGE list of "buit-in" drivers in xp64, but none work for my Photosmart 7150. :(

Not sure why some people have problems with Nero because it seems to work fine on my system. Burned DVD/CD with it just fine so far.

The only real problems are the fact that games with StarForce copy protection are a PITA and there are a few other games that require modifying their installers before they will work. Area 51 is one such game. www.planetamd64.com is a good source of information.

Most programs do simply "just work". There are only a few that flat out don't and a few others that can be made to work with some idiosyncracies.

I've been switching back and forth between x64 and XP for a while now. The ONLY thing I've found that doesn't work that really bothers me is my M$ Sidewinder Precision Pro gameport joystick. I love that piece of crap, but it won't work. and from I've heard and read, M$ won't release any more drivers for it OR the USB version since they don't make them any longer.

guess I'll have to go give some money to Saitek. Anyone have those? How about the cheap version that's only $19 at wal-mart? :p

I'm personally running x64 full time. I haven't had any problems with any of my games, albeit I haven't had time to play many games lately (heh). I have started having problems with Nero, getting some error about and Unknown Burn Phase, but that's probably not directly due to x64 version.

Currently, the only problem I have (besides the Nero problem) is the non-ability to integrate into my AIO-DVD but that's really not a big deal in the first place. Heh, wouldn't be a reason for anyone not to run x64... I personally enjoy x64 and have had no real problems running it.

I just invested around $1100 in a new system. It has been a while since the last time i built a system. And i purchased WXP x64 nad i had troubles with it, felt like i was gonna pull my hair out. I just installed Windows XP Pro, which i had to buy. So lets make is $1250 total. Too many diver conflicts and not enough support online. Still have it, just waiting till new driver n bios comes out for boards. Good luck to those who are using it.

Errr, I just installed the latest Fedora! its nice... anywho, im offically useing XP64 now, all my drivers are working, and BF2 runs great...

Dual-boot XP and Fedora

Shoot. There was something else. When I installd .Net framework, I got an error about some known compatibility issue with another MS product that I may use, but I forgot what that was. Grr... :D

jonnyGURU said:
Shoot. There was something else. When I installd .Net framework, I got an error about some known compatibility issue with another MS product that I may use, but I forgot what that was. Grr... :D
heh.. I've read that before but never paid any attention as I have yet to run into any problem. I install the .NET framework silently anyway so the error doesn't show. heh...

As for the drive emulation, I suggest FileDisk (fdtray). It's small, lightweight, and works really well for me. Just a suggestion. :D

I just switched to x64. The only issues I'm having are merely a lack of drivers for my CanoScan N650U and my HP Photosmart 7660. Everything else works beautifully. I threw on Office, Nero, WinAMP, PowerDVD, and some other random stuff I use. My games run nice and smooth too, including Half-Life 2 and Battlefield 2.

And, as mentioned earlier, your only real choice for virus protection is avast!.

I've noticed a slight improvement in disk performance and multitasking, a tad better performance in HL2, but there are a few programs that show no improvement, such as BF2 and the ever-so-bloated Photoshop CS2. In retrospect, switching over hasn't made a huge difference from 32-bit XP. However, if you're considering the switch, the only benefit you'll really attain is the peace of mind you're finally using your 64-bit processor in 64-bit.

After installing the latest version of Nero, I haven't had any prolems. I was getting an "Unknown Burn Phase" error (probably due to the way I installed Nero, using a silent installer) but I just uninstalled and reinstalled with a new version and Nero runs no problem. I would deffinately try uninstalling, deleting all registry entries and reinstall the newest version of Nero.

I believe my current version is 6.6.0.15 (which is actually one step down from the latest, which I believe is 6.6.0.16) although I can't be positive as I'm currently back home from the 'ol apartment with laptop and not the desktop. heh... But I did burn a DVD and such before heading back home for the weekend and I had no errors or anything.

IIS. That's what it was. There's an issue with .Net and IIS in x64.

We were thinking of migrating our Voicemail Servers to x64 platforms but if a customer needs call center accounting software, it requires .Net and IIS. I haven't tried it yet, but that error popped up and it kind of scared me. :D

I think we'll just stick with Sempron 32's for now. ;)

citizen__erased said:
I won't use it until someone releases a decent firewall.

What do you cosider decent? There is Tiny, Bitdefender, and the nvidia firewall.

Spectre said:
What do you cosider decent? There is Tiny, Bitdefender, and the nvidia firewall.

Yep. I use the nVidia Firewall that came with my board on mine. Works really well actually.

jonnyGURU said:
Yep. I use the nVidia Firewall that came with my board on mine. Works really well actually.

That is the one I use too. I do love though how every other one of these threads ends up with a is there is no 1)AV or 2) NO firewalls post. When there are....just not the one the person wants. No qualifiers to their statement just absolutes....to be fair citizen said decent so I still wonder what he defines as decent.

I am using XP x64 and I like it. To me it is exactly the same as 32 Bit in performance wise, and now I have the ability to use 64 bit programs when they do surface. So its all good.

Its just as fast, just as stable etc as 32 Bit. :) SO I am gonna keep it.

I've just uninstalled it after having it two days. I can't sync my palm, I can't use my TV card - basically all my old hardware has been phased out. I can now agree with some people - it's not ready for mainstream use.

I liked 64bit Firefox, but it wasn't "remembering" settings, and 64 bit java doesnt support Firefox, great. The only 64bit Thunderbird I had wouldn't work properly.

Another strange problem I'm getting is my 3dmark05 scores are still halved. I have no idea what's going on, anyone know the version number of the best nvidia forceware for performance?

I installed it, and liked it, but I couldn't find any modem drivers so I had to revert back to 32-bit XP.

Got better 3dmark05 scores on x64 but i dont like the lack of driver backwards compatability.

Back