Who still uses Socket A platform in their main rig?

I was using a 2500+ barton up until last month when it just decided to crap out on me. i never really tested to see if it was dead, but it was a good enough excuse to upgrade a little bit, and hold me over til quad core stuff comes along.

I also built my brother a computer a year ago with a 2800+ in it, and he hasn't complained once.

I'll be using my 2500+ OCed to 3200+ until I need something faster. So far, it's been great. I'll get something better later on and this will either be underclocked and retired to replace my linux server (366MHz CeleronA) or sold to someone (my brother uses a 850MHz P3 with a GF4).
I haven't even pushed it as far as overclocking goes, there's really no need for more right now.

Still using a 2600 Barton as my primary machine. With 6800GT and 2GB ram I can still run most games fine.

jimmyb said:
Still using a 2600 Barton as my primary machine. With 6800GT and 2GB ram I can still run most games fine.

i run pretty much the same thing and i run all games just fine

on a Barton 3000+ AXP, 1GB RAM and 9700P.

sadly, due to extreme lack of funds - and college, this will have to last another 2 years. Just a less pleasant gaming experience but I'll deal.

FanZ said:
on a Barton 3000+ AXP, 1GB RAM and 9700P.

sadly, due to extreme lack of funds - and college, this will have to last another 2 years. Just a less pleasant gaming experience but I'll deal.

Hahaha, I am in the same boat as you. Got one more year of my BS and then who knows how many years of PhD schooling. Hoping my computer (see sig) will last a few more years. But I am thinking about picking up one of those x800xl agp cards that ati is selling for a hella good price (see hot deals forum). I think that might extend the life of my 4 year old socket A system :D ... maybe some ram would also help me out.... but i will deal with that once i get some money :rolleyes:

-(Xyphox)- said:
lol, if you still using Socket A, time to upgrade! :p

socket a is still a great kicking cpu, i would like to upgrade to dual core but quad core is coming so am gonna hold out untill then.

my baby has been running sweet from day one and still plays all my games perfect incl Prey
( and them dam Gravity walks, center of gravity changes, and odd teleport things< still aint got the hang of em)

freakycody said:
Hahaha, I am in the same boat as you. Got one more year of my BS and then who knows how many years of PhD schooling. Hoping my computer (see sig) will last a few more years. But I am thinking about picking up one of those x800xl agp cards that ati is selling for a hella good price (see hot deals forum). I think that might extend the life of my 4 year old socket A system :D ... maybe some ram would also help me out.... but i will deal with that once i get some money :rolleyes:

yeah, still 2 years left on my BS, then probably 4 more years of debtness of med school. i figure that since i wont have time to game much anyway, this computer will only do things like word documents or check emails.. and it's plenty enough for that.

i totally agree, i dont have any money at all right now so i'll think more about upgrades once i get some unneeded funds.

AXP 2600+, whatever core was before Barton (T-bred?). 1.5 gigs of ram and a 6600 GT. The machine is 3 years old, I already feel the need to upgrade, but, like many in this thread, lack funds (or, rather, have more pressing stuff to spend money on) :(

i paid $75 a year ago for a Compaq pc and monitor. the girl i bought it from had some spyware and virus problems and just wanted to get rid of it. i used the Compaq recovery cds and it was as good as new. i added a stick of 512mb and a 6600.

Athlon xp 2400+
768mb ram
6600 256mb

Barton 2500/nf2 here. Got an X800XL not long ago.

Gonna get a x2 3800 or 4200 939 and an asrock 939dual soon, can't get rid of the vid card yet as its pretty much on par with the current mainstream cards.

i admit im still old school but once i get my business started ill be able to build a nice system

A7V333 and an xp2400+ non mobile still goin strong but god is it slow even when my mom got her crappy dell with a 3gig p4, I wish I had a faster cpu.

I sold my opteron and now I am on my AXP 2800+ barton until i get enough to afford a conroe system. :)

1700+ tbred-b at 2200mhz and an x800gto

holds its own even against the lastest P4-D's in single threaded things.

looking forward to a cheap dual core system though.

I had socket A until a few months ago when fry's had the ECS and 3000+ for 89 so i couldn't pass that up

I still use Socket A as well for my main PC. Started out with a 1800+ processor on it and now I am at a 3200+ Barton on the same motherboard. The latest upgrade (almost a year or so ago) was a 6600GT video card. Everything else is pretty standard. Can run most games although I would like some extra horsepower for things such as EQ2 or FS2004 :)

I am in the market to upgrade though by the end of this summer at least. I have still to make a decision whether I will go with an AM2 socket based PC or with Core 2 Duo. I am playing with configurations for both options and I guess the deciding factor (as always) will be the price/performance ration at the time of purchase.

My main box is a barton (I think) at 2.4 ghz with 1 gig of ram & three monitors. The only thing which I do at home that might make it struggle is the odd bit of j2ee stuff, which is why I have my quad PII 400mhz with 2gb of ram to run hefty things on.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe,1900+palomino,512 kingston,radeon 9600,
plays,Far Cry@medium settings. Just got materials for unlocking proc.
and bonnivile heater core.waiting to get waterblock and pump,Better late than never

I'm using:

duron 950 @1.02 ghz
aopen ak77-333
1.5gb pc2100
mx440

I just put it together from a friends spares and it runs a lot better than i thought it would. I can play half life games no probs.

Yes, three socket A in this home. For several reasons. First and foremost is I don't need to upgrade, yet. My son and I play EQ II, BF1942, CoD, HL2, and even Oblivion just fine. No real need to waste money on PCI-E, SLI, etc. It is MUCH more fun maximize your computer by tweeking, than to minimize your wallet just to look cool.

Hell yeah socket A:

AMD THUNDERBIRD 1.33 GHz
512mb of ram
and 640 GB of hdd space on 4 HDDs
ati 9600pro
dell 2404FPW

I really don't have much of reason to upgrade I just don't have a use for it and I am a poor college student.

I plan on upgrading at the end of august. I will probably go with the Conroe. Intel for the first time ever! sorry AMD

craazzy, nice monitor, worth the $1000 you put into it? or did you buy from some1 cooler then Dell.

MrWizard6600 said:
craazzy, nice monitor, worth the $1000 you put into it? or did you buy from some1 cooler then Dell.

I was lucky enough to combine some dell coupons and get it for around $750 in the end in August 2005(keep an eye on fatwallet.com). This monitor is WELL worth it. I use it to watch movies, TV and doing homework with all that space is really great. I would really like to buy a the 30" if the price ever drops below $1000. I really don't even notice how slow my PC is with his gigantic monitor.

Cr@zZy said:
I was lucky enough to combine some dell coupons and get it for around $750 in the end in August 2005(keep an eye on fatwallet.com). This monitor is WELL worth it. I use it to watch movies, TV and doing homework with all that space is really great. I would really like to buy a the 30" if the price ever drops below $1000. I really don't even notice how slow my PC is with his gigantic monitor.
lol, monitor worth more than the machine its running on, Still awesome display, i love my 30" get one :D

Another vote for socket A :D
Barton @ 2.2GHz

Good things comes to those who wait.. I'm prolly going to upgrade when the AMD pricecut comes into effect end of the month. Conroe is also very appealing at the moment.

What is particularly galling in my situation is that while my PC is an ancient Via KT333/Athlon 1800+ setup, my three children (junior age), who each have their own computers, run Socket 939/Athlon64 3000+. As money permitted over the past year I've upgraded each of the kiddie's PCs, but my own rig lies neglected because I would need to spend 2-3 times as much to fully upgrade. :mad:

Boltaction said:
I sold my opteron and now I am on my AXP 2800+ barton until i get enough to afford a conroe system. :)
If you sold your opty then take it out of your sig.

Still running the Barton in my sig. This rig plays everything I want it to still. Socket A rules and it might be a bit slower then the new stuff, but it's reliable and I still got cash in my pocket cause I don't upgrade every few years just to keep up with everyone else. :cool:

Still running my mobile 2400+ @ 2.45GHz and my trusty 9800pro. It's showing its age though. I've overclocked the crap out of it and it's starting to show how much it doesn't like me doing that. Also the pump for the watercooling is dying. It's been hard to get the motor to engage for the past few days. I think that it knows it's on its way out.

So, later this week it will be put to rest after I get my new system put together.

My current PC is a Shuttle XPC SK43G socket A based. Athlon XP 2400+, 1gb PC2100 and an Nvidia 6200 128mb AGP. This replaced my Duron 1.8ghz/Abit KT7A rig that died last year. I carried the duron over into the XPC and recently replaced it wihe 2400+

Of course now they annouce crazy price drops and I'm still deciding what to upgrade to (AM2 based, but not sure which processor to go with).

1.4 athlon thunderbird - a chip on every corner - works like a charm. running 1533 atm - 512 mb ddr - FX5700 256 mb video -

Well I did it. My last four systems were Socket A(kt333,kt400, NF2, NF2U) and I finally dropped an NF3 and a Venice in yesterday. Now I got to get a 7800GS to make my uber-obsolete computer complete.

soneone wanna sell me their nice non oced barton? ;p looking for something like a 2800 or higher

I need to update my sig, but I have a Socket A desktop now until I build a Conroe desktop next month.

Current desktop:
ECS SiS 741GX motherboard
Sempron 2400+ (333MHz FSB, 1.67GHz, 256KB L2) o/c to 2.08GHz (208MHz FSB) @ stock voltage
512MB PC3200
integrated video :(
16x DVD burner
240GB of HD space

It's not that bad. I won't be playing games on the integrated video, but everything else runs decently. I have a 7900GT sitting around waiting for the Conroe build.

Back