Who says console games are more popular than PC: BC2 team actions stats

Buxaroo

Gawd
I don't really know if the stats that this site shows are either from too many antisocial asshats in the console communities of Bad Company 2, or actual gameplay time, but my money is on the PC version being more popular than both console versions combined.

Essentially for those who don't play this game, DICE are releasing a new map for the game but only after everyone in each version combined does 69,000,000 team actions, i.e. healing or dropping ammo packs, etc, you know, helping your team like you are supposed to. According to the stats as of christmas eve, the results are as follows:

Xbox360 community: 11,900,000 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR

Playstation 3 community: 7,771,000 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR

PC community: 18,662,696 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR

I don't know about any of you, but I get a smug satisfaction that the PC version is out-doing both console versions combined. Either way an argument comes from the console side, the PC version is more popular. The trend could be about the team work comparisons between the 2 types of communities, i.e. PC players might tend to be more team worked inclined whereas the console community is probably on the "I just want to blow things up for 10 minutes before I got to do my homework" mentality.

What say you?

EDIT: BC2 Battle for Hastings source

Last edited:
I believe EA had already stated before the PC had the largest percentage of BC2 sales.

I've had experience with both the PC and the 360 versions, and the PC players in general tend to play the objective, play as a team and play for the team-win a lot more than on console. There were a lot more lone wolves and stat-padders on the console versions (which is saying something). It might be a bit different now since the only people playing the console versions are the ones who really like the game (as opposed to the on-release players who have long since moved onto other games like Halo and COD).

So basically, even if all platforms had the equal number of players, the PC version would have higher team action counts because of the nature of the players; a lot of them would come from Battlefield 2/1942 and Counter-Strike backgrounds and thus have a developed sense of teamwork.

I still don't understand why people like FPS games on a console. I really tried enjoying playing halo reach on a controller I really did, but for the life of me the response is so damn slow and using analog sticks just put me off. I am eventually going to finish reach. But man I just don't see how people just love using a controller.

Bad Company 2 after many years finally replaced my best online FPS game (Battlefield 2). I just can't wait for Battlefield 3. LONG LIVE KEYBOARD + MOUSE!

Console gamers buy a shit ton more games than the PC market, and thus they've moved on to other games.

PC gamers happen to be snobs. Shooter wise, BC2 is a more refined taste than CoDwhatevernumberitisthisyear. So BC2 sold more on our side, than on the console side.

. Shooter wise, BC2 is a more refined taste than CoDwhatevernumberitisthisyear.

CoD:7 :p

It's good to finally see some stats indicating strong PC sales. I've always thought that NPD's were biased towards consoles due to their exclusion of digital sales.

I've had experience with both the PC and the 360 versions, and the PC players in general tend to play the objective, play as a team and play for the team-win a lot more than on console. There were a lot more lone wolves and stat-padders on the console versions (which is saying something). It might be a bit different now since the only people playing the console versions are the ones who really like the game (as opposed to the on-release players who have long since moved onto other games like Halo and COD).

So basically, even if all platforms had the equal number of players, the PC version would have higher team action counts because of the nature of the players; a lot of them would come from Battlefield 2/1942 and Counter-Strike backgrounds and thus have a developed sense of teamwork.

i think a lot of the team play on PC has to do with communication. on the console version you can only communicate with your squad, on PC you can communicate with your squad, team and enemy making team work a lot easier.

I still don't understand why people like FPS games on a console. I really tried enjoying playing halo reach on a controller I really did, but for the life of me the response is so damn slow and using analog sticks just put me off. I am eventually going to finish reach. But man I just don't see how people just love using a controller.

Bad Company 2 after many years finally replaced my best online FPS game (Battlefield 2). I just can't wait for Battlefield 3. LONG LIVE KEYBOARD + MOUSE!

a lot of it is the generation we are in. the majority of PC games grew up with PC's first and consoles second where as kids now are growing up on consoles that can actually play shit other then donkey kong, sonic, and mario brothers games. so people tend to stick with what they know best. even my younger cousin who basically grew up playing console games cant play a game on PC to save his own life but hes damn good on the xbox where as i suck ass on modern consoles. get me in front of an NES/SNES/N64 and ill own the shit out of anyone.

Last edited:
Xbox360 community: 11,900,000 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR

Playstation 3 community: 7,771,000 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR

PC community: 18,662,696 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR

EDIT: BC2 Battle for Hastings source
Those are numbers on 24 Dec @ 4:45 PM

Numbers as of this post are:
XBox360: 16,581,693 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR from 11,900,000. Delta = 4.681.693

Playstation 3: 11,850,208 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR from 7,771,000. Delta = 4,079,208

PC: 28,998,172 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR from 18,662,696. Delta = 10,335,476

I wonder how many of each team action was counted? I wonder if most of them are spots, followed by heals, then repairs.

Those are numbers on 24 Dec @ 4:45 PM

Numbers as of this post are:
XBox360: 16,581,693 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR from 11,900,000. Delta = 4.681.693

Playstation 3: 11,850,208 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR from 7,771,000. Delta = 4,079,208

PC: 28,998,172 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR from 18,662,696. Delta = 10,335,476

I wonder how many of each team action was counted? I wonder if most of them are spots, followed by heals, then repairs.

id say 50% is spots 30% is kill assist's and 10% are repair/heal/resupply 10% are the miscellaneous vehicle pilot/driver assist's.

mario sells 22+ millions of a game and OP states PC gaming is more popular by using one example that falls flat on it's face? lawl

Like someone said, PC gamers have more communication options with a chat window in a second or 3rd monitor. More apt to be on forums and go through stuff and get to know each other more. Also what was said about really younger people really just playing the cooler games on consoles and they just played kids games (simple java) when they were like 3-6 years old.

It's now Dec. 26, looks like it has slowed down a bit over Christmas here.

Just took a look at the site and here is where were sitting:
XBox360: 17,635,226 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR from 16,581,693 two days ago = 1,053,533

Playstation 3: 12,613,503 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR from 11,850,208 two days ago = 763,295

PC: 30,715,200 TEAM ACTIONS SO FAR from 28,998,172 = 10,335,476 two days ago = 1,717,028

I love that the PC is now getting even further ahead of the consoles. Were more than 45,000 team actions ahead of both of the consoles combined. Man it's a good day to be a PC gamer!

Little more than just 45k.

466,471 actions to be exact.

Now the OP is correct.

I would say that PC gamers are also FAR more likely to actually play BC2 properly. I've played both the 360 and PC versions, and I can tell you that this is definitely the case. I cannot tell you how many people on the 360 version play BC2 like it is another CoD deathmatch game.

The Sims has sold more than 100 million copies. Thanks for playing, though.

And 60 million people play Farmville. And 12 million people play World of Warcraft. That's what PC gaming has been reduced to now.

It's hilarious that you're bragging about The Sims sales figures :D

i bought BC2:Vietnam on steam yesterday and played for about 2 minutes before it was time to leave for xmas dinner. i dropped one ammo pack, so i'm responsible for at least 1 of those actions. you're welcome, PC community.

I would say that PC gamers are also FAR more likely to actually play BC2 properly. I've played both the 360 and PC versions, and I can tell you that this is definitely the case. I cannot tell you how many people on the 360 version play BC2 like it is another CoD deathmatch game.

agreed, i have it on ps3 and pc , and for the most part the pc crowd seem to lonewolf much less.

And 60 million people play Farmville. And 12 million people play World of Warcraft. That's what PC gaming has been reduced to now.

It's hilarious that you're bragging about The Sims sales figures :D

Why? You think the average Halo fan plays Mario? The only reason Mario was used is because it sold more, not because the poster thought it was a better game. Someone brought up what they thought were superior sales numbers, I demonstrated that they were not. Bragging about sales numbers is pointless if you want to talk about which is actually better anyway.

Why? You think the average Halo fan plays Mario? The only reason Mario was used is because it sold more, not because the poster thought it was a better game. Someone brought up what they thought were superior sales numbers, I demonstrated that they were not. Bragging about sales numbers is pointless if you want to talk about which is actually better anyway.

How do you know he doesn't think Mario is better? He could easily have chosen other games (or entire franchises like you did) to show higher sales... Gran Turismo at 50 million+, Call of Duty the same (even excluding the PC versions). But the real point is that Gran Turismo and COD and Halo and Mario and a fuck ton of other games sell a lot more than anything on the PC. Quoting The Sims sales figures as a sign of the health of the PC gaming market is just hilarious, like I mentioned.

Comparing actions and then relating it directly to population is pretty bad math.

Comparing actions and then relating it directly to population is pretty bad math.

Lets see the actual sales figures of this game on PC and consoles. Money talks.

Yeah I agree. The stereotypical PC gamer is more likely to buy an FPS for a few bucks and then play it for hundreds of hours. The stereotypical console gamer is likely to buy a game, play it for a few hours, then go on and buy the next overpriced game.

I'm personally a PC gamer, dont own a console, but I dont see how these figures show PC gaming is more popular that console gaming. Just that a single game that is more suited to PC play has people playing it longer, more tactically and more in depth.

From the Sandy Bridge preview on Anandtech, it sounds like the integrated GPU will be able to play games like COD:BO at ~720p with console comparable graphics. Along with AMD's new "APUs", that's a big step up, hopefully it helps with a PC gaming renaissance in the next couple of years, where it's not just us high-end nuts who stick with PC gaming.

The threads on the official Battlefield forums are pretty funny.

Console players accusing PC gamers of cheating/'boosting'/ etc or claiming PC got a headstart (even though the counter started at the same time for all platforms).

Kinda amusing. :p

From the Sandy Bridge preview on Anandtech, it sounds like the integrated GPU will be able to play games like COD:BO at ~720p with console comparable graphics. Along with AMD's new "APUs", that's a big step up, hopefully it helps with a PC gaming renaissance in the next couple of years, where it's not just us high-end nuts who stick with PC gaming.

I think this is great news. I was on TomsHardware last night and saw that Sandy Bridge was available in Malaysia for a little bit until they got wind of it and threated to sue the stores to wait for Jan. 4th or 6th. Most were bitching that it has the onboard video on there. I was thinking at first that I would rather have it not on there, but video cards break eventually.

Overall it has it's place. However it wouldn't be as bad if they introduced the high end i7 v2 at the same time next month with the Sandy Bridge, but oh well. People were really bitching about the onboard video and have to buy a K version to overclock, I think way overblown. I think it's a very lame move to have to spend more money on a K version but having video that can really play the newer games (besides flight sim's) is overall good.

The Sims appeals to a whole different group of people compared to Mario and FPS like BC2

Last edited:
Aren't the majority of console gamers also PC gamers, i know i am, so why all the hub-bub?

I understand pc vs mac, but not pc vs 360/wii/ps3

I almost see it as, pc vs ipod, or toaster vs dog.

Maybe I'm just ignorant.

I hate to break it to you but Battlefield is a PC franchise and isn't very popular on consoles so your basis is pretty skewed. The large majority of genres will probably have a larger playerbase on consoles currently. However there are some genres like MMOs and RTSs which are pretty much dominated by PC... for now.

Once all genres are readily available on consoles, where consoles are cheaper, easier to maintain and more accessible ... PC's will become even more niche than they are today. This coming from someone who games on both platforms, PC first and foremost.

PC gaming isn't going anywhere but rather console gaming is taking off. But worry not, console gaming will be overshadowed soon enough. By PC again!!?!?? Nope, handhelds. Handheld gaming is going to be the prime focus in the coming 10 years..

Mark.My.Words

edit. Rather, consoles will be handhelds and vise versa. Gone will be the days of fixed hardware with power bricks plugged into your PC. My guess is that 2 gens from now a handheld will be your main console, you'll have it in your pocket to game. When you get home you'll dock it to your TV/surround sound and power on the controller to play the same games on the same device just on a larger screen w/better sound.

You can do this today, sort of. Its the future. PC gaming will remain but continue to distance itself further and further from mainstream as computing on a desktop/laptop will soon become clunky and a thing of the past. Mobile computing, be it Facebook, work, or gaming will become the staple of the modern man (woman).

We are living in the transition years right now. It is happening all around you, your mothers, fathers, sisters and non tech friends are starting to be on the bleeding edge with technology because they're all becoming consumer electronics. RIM and their Blackberry were years ahead of their time, it took Apple and the iPhone to revolutionize and make consumers rethink how they compute. iPad and other Android (soon honeycomb) devices are going to improve upon that. How many 12 year olds got iPads for Christmas this year? I can tell you... A LOT. These 12 year olds are our successors, they are not asking for gaming laptops or powerful gaming computers. They are on the go, mobile and more efficient than we were at their age. They will continue to be progressive as they age and more adept with newer technologies.

Mobile computing is here now but will the norm within the next 10 years. Old timers like us here are being bred out, same as we did to old timers before us. Being [H] we should be open-minded and curious about new technology, but we cant fault ourselves for hating on things that scare us because afterall ... we're old timers now and we're stubborn. When refering to consoles or even handhelds ... forums like this often time consist of posts that sound like an old man huckling, "Get off my lawn!" HENSE THIS THREAD

We are a dying breed my friends, enjoy the twilight years.

Last edited:
Handhelds? Bleh. Yeah I'm a crusty old timer at age 31, but I really don't understand the mobile computing obsession. Generally, when I am out and about it is because I have things to do, not roam the streets while gaming. Staring into shitty little screens compared to what I have at home? No thanks. Sadly you might be right. But "consolitis" has regressed gaming a lot in both technical advancement and actual depth of gameplay, I dread to see the garbage that would spawn from handheld focused gaming.

Aren't the majority of console gamers also PC gamers

Fuuuuuuck no not at all. People on forums maybe, but IRL, I don't know more than one or two PC gamers anymore, and everyone else is all console.

Handhelds? Bleh. Yeah I'm a crusty old timer at age 31, but I really don't understand the mobile computing obsession. Generally, when I am out and about it is because I have things to do, not roam the streets while gaming. Staring into shitty little screens compared to what I have at home? No thanks. Sadly you might be right. But "consolitis" has regressed gaming a lot in both technical advancement and actual depth of gameplay, I dread to see the garbage that would spawn from handheld focused gaming.

Well said. However if they can take part of the coding and make it more efficient (use less resources). That should make for smoother gameplay on desktops, that would be the only benefit.

lol how many different versions of the Sims is that? lol if you were to add up all of the mario games, I am pretty sure that 100 million would not be even close to the lowest end of the estimate.................

the original mario brothers sold 40+ millions 2 sold 10+, and 3 sold 18+ that 68+ millions just for the NES lol

the SNES version sold 20+

N64 Super Mario was 11+

NGC Mario sunshine was 5.5+

Wii
New Super Mario Bros 16.8+
Mario galaxy 8.8+
Mario galaxy 2 5.5+ millions

and this does not include other games the the handheld units

Fuuuuuuck no not at all. People on forums maybe, but IRL, I don't know more than one or two PC gamers anymore, and everyone else is all console.

People overestimate how many consumers actually have multiple current gen gaming platforms.

I know almost no one who games multiplatform outside internet forums. I know a few people who have gaming PCs but no current gen consoles, a few which have current gen consoles but dont game on PC, 1 or 2 who own one console and still game on PC, and I can only think of 1 person who actually has a PS3, PC and 360.

Back