Who ran Haswell-E for a long time or is still running it?

Yeah, I've never seen a platform age as well as this one has. It turns out that my 5960X really likes the DDR4 thats available today. I was going to use it for something else, but I ended up installing an 8x8GB 3733C17 rated kit, and it worked straight-away at 3200MT/S, 14-14-14-28 timings at 1.35V and stock 0.81V system agent and stock 1.05V vccio. Tightened up all the secondary timings too and passed 20,000% in Karhu. Nice surprise, since my old Crucial Ballistix would not do above 2666 at any voltag

I too have a 5960x in my secondary machine that I use for video rendering. It's a shame that it won't run Microsoft won't allow that CPU to run Windows 11 even though it it fully capable of running that OS.

I too have a 5960x in my secondary machine that I use for video rendering. It's a shame that it won't run Microsoft won't allow that CPU to run Windows 11 even though it it fully capable of running that OS.

No kidding. If that's not worthy of running Windows 11, then I don't know what is:

cachemem444232C14+2nds+3rds.png

I'm sure Windows 11 will find its way onto many X99 machines. Whether or not it's "supported" is another story.

Last edited:
5820K here at 4.3 GHz running for 6 years, only changed multiplier in BIOS to 4.3X and turned off EIST power saving settings in BIOS and windows. Only issue was the RAM not liking a auto XMP BIOS setting decided to scrap OC ing RAM. Never exceeds 85 degrees C under Kraken AIO/280 mm rad.

Just saw this article. Microsoft will allow you to install W11 on older CPUs, but will not give you the option to auto install updates. You have to do that manually.

Funny how the verge is unable to give us an actual quote of anything Microsoft actually said. Probably because they are intentionally twisting / misinterpreting something in order to keep the page clicks and ad revenue rolling in...

There is already a thread about this in the News and Operating System section. No need to derail this X99/Haswell-E thread. I'll just repeat what I posted in the other thread, because as someone who has been testing Windows 11 since the leaked alpha on 15+ year old hardware, I can say that nothing the verge is saying matches up with anything I'm seeing in actual testing nor does it align with Microsoft's clearly stated security objectives.

Microsoft has indicated that the current beta is already VERY close to what we will see when Windows 11 goes RTM, to the extent that the Dev channel is about to start getting post-RTM builds for testing (22H2 IIRC). That means that there won't be any fundamental changes in the beta between now and RTM, and currently, there is nothing in Windows 11 that serves as a gatekeeper for security updates based on your hardware, even when running on hardware that is very much NOT supported.

I currently have Windows 11 running on a 2500K, Q6600, Pentium-D 930, Athlon62 x2. All of them have received updates throughout the course of the beta.

Microsoft's main claim for wanting TPM 2.0, Secureboot, etc is based on improved security, and wanting to improve Windows' reputation for security going forward. In that context, I don't see them allowing people to install Windows 11 and then turning around and withholding updates. Microsoft has nothing to gain, and a lot to lose from having a bunch of un-patched Windows 11 installs out in the wild. It would fly in the face of everything they've indicated so far, and I just don't see it happening.

https://hardforum.com/threads/windo...ke-x-or-any-pre-2016-intel-pc.2011692/page-18

https://hardforum.com/threads/windows-11-will-run-fine-on-older-computers.2013323/

Funny how the verge is unable to give us an actual quote of anything Microsoft actually said. Probably because they are intentionally twisting / misinterpreting something in order to keep the page clicks and ad revenue rolling in...

There is already a thread about this in the News and Operating System section. No need to derail this X99/Haswell-E thread. I'll just repeat what I posted in the other thread, because as someone who has been testing Windows 11 since the leaked alpha on 15+ year old hardware, I can say that nothing the verge is saying matches up with anything I'm seeing in actual testing nor does it align with Microsoft's clearly stated security objectives.

Microsoft has indicated that the current beta is already VERY close to what we will see when Windows 11 goes RTM, to the extent that the Dev channel is about to start getting post-RTM builds for testing (22H2 IIRC). That means that there won't be any fundamental changes in the beta between now and RTM, and currently, there is nothing in Windows 11 that serves as a gatekeeper for security updates based on your hardware, even when running on hardware that is very much NOT supported.

I currently have Windows 11 running on a 2500K, Q6600, Pentium-D 930, Athlon62 x2. All of them have received updates throughout the course of the beta.

Microsoft's main claim for wanting TPM 2.0, Secureboot, etc is based on improved security, and wanting to improve Windows' reputation for security going forward. In that context, I don't see them allowing people to install Windows 11 and then turning around and withholding updates. Microsoft has nothing to gain, and a lot to lose from having a bunch of un-patched Windows 11 installs out in the wild. It would fly in the face of everything they've indicated so far, and I just don't see it happening.

https://hardforum.com/threads/windo...ke-x-or-any-pre-2016-intel-pc.2011692/page-18

https://hardforum.com/threads/windows-11-will-run-fine-on-older-computers.2013323/
Thx for that info. I'll check it out.

I am still running a 5820K at stock, with a 980Ti and 32GB RAM. I don't really feel any need for an upgrade now, but I expect to upgrade in the next year or so, once platforms move to DDR5, and i can get a 10-core running aroud 4ghz.

I am still running a 5820K at stock, with a 980Ti and 32GB RAM. I don't really feel any need for an upgrade now, but I expect to upgrade in the next year or so, once platforms move to DDR5, and i can get a 10-core running aroud 4ghz.
Dude, they already have 10+ cores out now running at 5.0Ghz+... lol. Your time is easily now.

Or Microsoft are using them for trial balloon and will create their official message based on people reaction and feedback they get (of things that they can call rumors)

I ran it just under 1.3 like 1.293v if I recall correctly it was at 4.4Ghz it was fantastic eventually upgraded to a 6900K 8core 16 thread which I still use today no problem running the latest triple AAA games with a 2080Ti.

I ran it just under 1.3 like 1.293v if I recall correctly it was at 4.4Ghz it was fantastic eventually upgraded to a 6900K 8core 16 thread which I still use today no problem running the latest triple AAA games with a 2080Ti.

Broadwell-E is still pretty badass, I wouldn't mind having one if it was a good clocker. That was the first generation that supported AVX offsets.

I'm looking for some long-term overclocking data for the 5820K, 5930K, 5960X, E5-1650V3, E5-1660V3, and E5-1680V3, now that the chips are actually old enough for long-term data to exist.

What did you overclock your chip(s) to (Core/Cache/DRAM)? What voltages (vcore, vring, vccin, vccsa, vccio)? Cooling? Motherboard? How long did you run it? How was it used? How did it hold up?

I still have a 5820k system with a Asus X99-Pro WiFi board. Lottery was bad so I ended up with a 4.3GHz 1.275v. It could do 4.4 at 1.32v but it was too hot to handle. Used heavily for gaming (4+ hours/day for over a year), and it ran double duty as a media server/torrent seeder 24/7 for over 2 years. CPU can still do fine at 4.3 1.275v. Cooling was a Thermalright True Spirit 140 Power Edition, with a Single TY-143 fan in push config. Could handle 4.3 1.275v at 90oC max temp on RealBench.

Still running a Xeon 2699 V3 for a NAS. Ended up needing a new motherboard. Same Cpu but on a Machinist X99Z-F9. Works good with 16gb ram, 6- 16tb Seagate Exos drives and an Intel X540-T2 10Gbe

Ran my 5820K from 2016 till mid 2020 at 1.24v 4.4GHz with cache at 4.2GHz. Swapped it out for a 5960X which I had at 4.3GHz but switched it down some when lockdown came in. Havent bothered to put it back up.

Broadwell-E is still pretty badass, I wouldn't mind having one if it was a good clocker. That was the first generation that supported AVX offsets.
I honestly don't stop being impressed with this Broadwell-E setup. It's been 5 years or more? I think I can push 10 years on this CPU/MB/RAM although I do upgrade my GPU when need be. In fact I just installed the EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydrocopper in the system and it runs awesome in 4k lol. When I got the 6900K with 8core/16 thread i think that unlocked a ton of performance to keep me up for years.

Recently I saw a video comparing Broadwell to latest Intel CPU on 14nm, and the performance differential is like 15%, so Broadwell still has a lot of legs left.

I do think quad channel ram helps it keep within spitting distance in some regards. I've had folks baulk at my ram benchmarks in the past, not realising that quad channel is a thing.

I ran 5280k at 4.4 at 1.275v from release until March this year when I got a Microcenter deal on a 10850k that I couldn't resist or I'd still be on it. Right now it's sitting in a box until I figure out what I want to do with it.

5960X built in 2015 with Asrock x99-itx/ac. XMP Overclocked to 4.0Ghz for 6 years. Its a dedicated miner now with a Titan V.

Back