Who plans on going to Windows 8 and who's sticking with Windows 7?

Are you upgrading to Windows 8?

• Upgrading to Windows 8

Votes: 120 38.1%
  • Sticking with Windows 7

Votes: 186 59.0%
  • Going to other OS (linux/MacOS/etc)

Votes: 9 2.9%

• Total voters

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
With all the talk of Windows 8 lately, and it's launch on the horizon, I was interested how many people in the tech community were actually enjoying/interested in it, who isn't touching it with a ten foot pole and who might try out an alternate OS for their primary system (Linux/MacOS/etc)

I am not violently opposed to it like some but it doesn't have a compelling feature that forces me to upgrade right away so I will wait ... also, since I run Windows 7 ultimate and they don't have an ultimate version available I want to see how the in place upgrades work for other ultimate users ... doing a fresh install may be good technically but reinstalling software is a pain in the butt so I prefer in place upgrades

if they eventually release a killer feature or I get a new system then I would do the upgrade then ... for now Win 7 is meeting my needs and running all my software and hardware ;)

*groan*

I can't say I'm going to enjoy it, but then I find the concept of "enjoying" an OS amusing. It's the glue necessary to allow me access to what I need access to, nothing more. To put it in perspective, imagine enjoying the box your pizza came in. To use an internet colloquialism; "You're doing it wrong"

I'll use what I need to use, where I need to use it.

( this is in workstation land. In server land, the OS and it's diagnostic tools become far more important )

Ill be sticking with Win7 but not because I hate Win8. I admit I haven't seen a whole lot I do like about 8 but I just like Win7. I think its the best OS ever and don't see a reason to change.

I'll switch to 8 once I can get a copy through work, which I'm expecting will be before Christmas.

Also intending to pick up a new laptop within the next month or so and I'll almost certainly get one of the hybrids that've been announced.

I will install it on my main machine and see how I like it. If I don't like it, I'll probably dual boot it with Windows 7 or something. We all know Windows 8 will improve with service packs etc.

I'll give it a fair shot and we'll see how it goes.

I'm sticking with Windows 8 (thanks to TechNet) until the next version comes out.

I will stick with 7, no reason to spend money on something I don't need.
If I build new I will pick up 8 for sure.

I plan to run a mixed environment. I'll be sticking with Windows 7 on my home computer, at least until Nvidia gets their multi-monitor performance issues sorted out.

However, between the support for software raid, storage pooling, and hyper-v, I plan to run Win 8 immediately on my office workstation and my two personal file servers.

Win 7 for desktops, Android for mobile touch devices. For laptops, I will use...... well my cell phone has replaced my laptop, so I don't suspect I will be buying one any time soon.
If a relatively stable means of restoring the GUI to what is available in Win 7 becomes available, and the ability to skip, hide, or remove, Metro, and the default Metro style touch screen apps gets worked in, I will not avoid Win 8. There is plenty under the hood to recommend Win 8, just not enough over Win 7 to do without my preferred GUI.

Yea, I use to like UI's that took more clicks to launch my programs, but then I took an arrow to the knee, or something...

Currently I'm Windows 7 for gaming only and expect to stay that way. I'll only load on Windows 8 if I need it for programming or whatever.

I'll get used to the UI formally known as Metro.

I'm excited for the under the hood improvements :)

Last edited:
I haven't decided quite yet. When it launches I might buy an SSD and a copy of 8 for my desktop, but I'm still not sure if I will... or just stick with Windows 7, which has been working fine for me.

I'm already on Windows 8 thanks to Dreamspark, it's pretty much the same as windows 7 to me other than not having the traditional start menu. I actually like windows 8, but I feel windows 7 has everything you need, so there's not really a reason to upgrade other than the desire to have new things.

Windows 8 for the rig connected to the 50 inch. Perfect for couch surfing.

Most likely staying on Windows 7 (and Vista on one comp). I've been running Windows 8 Release Preview on two computers as my main OS and it simply doesn't seem to be enough of an upgrade to justify switching. Surprisingly the changes to the GUI and the removal of start menu haven't been at all annoying as I found them to be based on earlier test builds.

The only computer on which I could consider upgrading is my good old Lenovo T60 (running Win 7) since it boots faster on Windows 8. Although even on that computer I think I'll simply use the money on getting an used C2D T7xxx to replace the current Core Duo T2400.

By the end of the year I will have a laptop and a desktop with Windows 7 and I will also have another laptop and a desktop with Windows 8.

50/50 split.

As per usual with such polls the selections are limited and pushed to a certain result.

No "I'll have a mix of 7 & 8!" option then?

I'm already on Windows 8 thanks to Dreamspark, it's pretty much the same as windows 7 to me other than not having the traditional start menu. I actually like windows 8, but I feel windows 7 has everything you need, so there's not really a reason to upgrade other than the desire to have new things.

Please elaborate on this Dreamspark you speak of.

By the end of the year I will have a laptop and a desktop with Windows 7 and I will also have another laptop and a desktop with Windows 8.

50/50 split.

As per usual with such polls the selections are limited and pushed to a certain result.

No "I'll have a mix of 7 & 8!" option then?

Not at all. If you plan on running 8 at all, then vote for 8. If you have no intention of running 8, then pick one of the other two options.

I wanted to see who, in the tech community, was planning on trying it out or jumping in head first and who was staying away from it (which this poll was geard towards). Not which mixture of OS's everyone is using.

I'm all in for 8. This new UI isn't going anywhere. I'd rather be with the times than trying to fight it. Make it work for you. Worst case you can tweak it so you can have the traditional start menu.

I'll be sticking to Windows 7 on my desktop. I will use Windows 8 on my tablet. (Asus EP121).

I'm dual booting (got win 8 RTM free from Dreamspark, formerly MSDNAA), but I'm still debating whether I'll stick with it full time. I don't mind Metro or the start screen, but my biggest pet peeve is Win 8's search screen. I use desktop search ALL the time, and it's just frustrating that they don't combine apps, settings and files. Instead of typing "mouse" and hitting enter, it's now "type 'mouse', down arrow twice, left arrow, right arrow, enter". Doesn't seem like a lot but it gets frustrating after a while. Otherwise Win 8 is pretty good- I'd be completely happy if I could solve the search issue (preferably without resorting to a 3rd party start menu - I personally like the new start screen).

Laptop, desktop, and HTPC have all been upgraded. But I'm biased.

And Win8 is awesome on a large TV.

I already have it through TechNet. Not a fan of the Metro side at all, but I'm very happy with the Desktop side, and since I use Desktop 99% of the time, I can live with it.

I'll probably upgrade this year, just for any additional synergies with my soon to be Win 8 Phone.

Definitely upgrading. No reason not to, really. A few little things, but it'll be nice to move forward.

One thing that I'd like to see fixed (never experienced it myself as I only run a single monitor) - Metro on one screen with desktop on another. That'd be perfect for me, and I'd upgrade to a dual (or triple) monitor system just for that.

I'm going to wait a little while and see what everybody thinks. I'm in no hurry. I'll eventually move over to it but not right now.

I'm already running the last preview release and jumping on the windows 8 upgrade key once they become available. I got to say I love the Metro interface (then again I been using windows phone 7 since day one so I see the similarities) everything works just as good if not better than windows 7. But whatever floats your boat :)

Sticking with Xubuntu. Made the switch several months ago. I had been wanting to do it for a while. I first went to win 7, saw how they changed everything and I had to relearn everything again, then realized maybe I may as well do what I had been wanting to do, and I switched to Linux.

If I was still on windows, I'd be sticking with 7 and skipping 8. 7 is an ok OS, no reason to upgrade if it's setup and working.

For the foreseeable future, Windows 7. The one and only thing that's tempting me to go Windows 8 is the improved resource usage. I've noticed it myself in Consumer Preview and Release Candidate. Microsoft did something right by copying what Linux has been doing for years-- suspending on unused background programs. And, they've improved memory usage as well. I've found Windows 8 to be better running on my laptop than Windows 7. I will buy the discounted price for Windows 8 on October 26th. and contemplate on the switch. The UI and usability issues are what's holding me back.

On the other hand, for my alternate OS, it'll be a Linux-based distro of some kind. I've been trying to get these damn Radeon drivers to work. So far, I've gotten them to work perfectly in openSUSE 12.2 but the OS killed my sound. I can't get them to work 100% in Linux Mint but sound works. So, I'm not sure what distro to go to get them to work together 100%. Until then, it'll be Windows 7 for a lot of my work on the PC, Linux for anything else.

Not at all. If you plan on running 8 at all, then vote for 8. If you have no intention of running 8, then pick one of the other two options.

I wanted to see who, in the tech community, was planning on trying it out or jumping in head first and who was staying away from it (which this poll was geard towards). Not which mixture of OS's everyone is using.

One thing the poll doesn't cover is why. Judging by most of the responses (and historic trends in general), people don't upgrade to a new OS simply due to the cost. It doesn't matter if it's a lot or a little, cost is still cost, and they don't want to spend money. That's why there's still so many XP computers out there.

I'm dual booting (got win 8 RTM free from Dreamspark, formerly MSDNAA), but I'm still debating whether I'll stick with it full time. I don't mind Metro or the start screen, but my biggest pet peeve is Win 8's search screen. I use desktop search ALL the time, and it's just frustrating that they don't combine apps, settings and files. Instead of typing "mouse" and hitting enter, it's now "type 'mouse', down arrow twice, left arrow, right arrow, enter". Doesn't seem like a lot but it gets frustrating after a while. Otherwise Win 8 is pretty good- I'd be completely happy if I could solve the search issue (preferably without resorting to a 3rd party start menu - I personally like the new start screen).
There are new hotkeys: Win+W will hit your settings, while Win+F will hit your files.

I agree that it's cumbersome.

Back