Who overclocks their HD 5870?

pedophilekiller

Limp Gawd
I'm surprised I don't find a lot of information about overclocking the HD 5870. From the information I garnered, the practical frame rates do not increase dramatically with substantially overclocking. Who here has done it? What is the rated maximum "safe" voltage? How much more are you guys able to get at default voltage (v1.150)? Please use ATI Tool to verify your results since I find it stresses your GPU much more efficiently.

At the moment, I am trying *NOT* to OC my 5870... it seems I experience display issues whenever any sort of OC happens.

I would like to, but until I can work out my Dell U2410 DP monitor issues, OC is not an option... unless of course, someone can tell me this fixes the issues.

However, I am also interested to see what values are used in the 5870 OC, so please post those too.

@ stock voltage around 940-960 on both my XFX 5870's, I cant touch the memory, even 1210 causes problems. If I max out @ 1.350 then I can get around 1070mhz but the fan needs to be around 80-90% to keep it below 85c

@ stock voltage around 940-960 on both my XFX 5870's, I cant touch the memory, even 1210 causes problems. If I max out @ 1.350 then I can get around 1070mhz but the fan needs to be around 80-90% to keep it below 85c

i get 905/1305 on my PowerColor HD 5870 PCS+

frankly i am somewhat disappointed .. how much of a voltage increase is "safe" ?
= + 0.1 V ?

i know there is not any safe voltage boost; but what is reasonable?
:confused:

Well my results are 910/1285 max at default 1.149 voltage, auto fan setting. Tested under ATI Tool for an hour. I can't seem to touch 1300 memory yet. I'm still in the process of elimination since I haven't played with the voltage.

i get 905/1305 on my PowerColor HD 5870 PCS+

frankly i am somewhat disappointed .. how much of a voltage increase is "safe" ?
= + 0.1 V ?

i know there is not any safe voltage boost; but what is reasonable?
:confused:

I would say 1.35V is the absolute highest you should think of going, and you'll need some serious cooling. I'm running at 1.3V on the stock cooler with a custom fan profile without any kind of issue, other than noise. But since I game with headphones, it's a non-issue. Clocks in sig.

From just looking at other forums, it seems 1.22-1.25V is a great spot to go for, since many card will hit 1GHz core. Alot of them are also using the stock cooler without problems.

Last edited:
I would say 1.35V is the absolute highest you should think of going, and you'll need some serious cooling. I'm running at 1.3V on the stock cooler with a custom fan profile without any kind of issue, other than noise. But since I game with headphones, it's a non-issue. Clocks in sig.

From just looking at other forums, it seems 1.22-1.25V is a great spot to go for, since many card will hit 1GHz core. Alot of them are also using the stock cooler without problems.

Thank-you. Fortunately, i have two 5870s - a Diamond Reference and a PowerColor PCS+ (with a great fan). i have spent quite awhile with the PCS and sadly 900/1300 is as far as it goes with absolute stability at stock voltage. :(

So does the Diamond which i just started testing, right now. When i tested the PCS+ 5870, CCC had a lot of OCing headroom; with the Diamond, i maxed out CCC's top OC (900/1300) on the first try to match the PowerColor 5870 PCS+ and am on to download the MSI Afterburner utility to see how far the reference 5870 goes on stock voltage. i wonder if the shorter PCB 5870s are as good overclockers as the reference ones. i don't care for the long cards but i do like a good O/C.

Wish me luck. My goal is to hit 1000MHz on the core on at least one of the Radeons - but i won't volt mod but i will watch my temps. i am going to do a thorough testing of my overclocked GTX 480 (826/2200) vs. HD 5870 and i want to make sure the Radeon put in a good overclocked showing.

NOOOO!

Tell me it isn't so :eek:

Are settings sometimes locked in the BIOS? MSI Afterburner will not let me overclock my Diamond any further than 900/1300. Anything higher resets and will not stick :(

What now ? Flash the bios or be resigned to a half-fast HD 5870 at 900/1300 to compete with GTX 480 (826/1100). i already know how the story ends. :p

Some BIOS won't allow for higher than CCC limits. You can open the Afterburner config file, and hidden in there somewhere is a line about "enable unofficial overclocking" or some such. Just change the 0 to 1, and it should work. I don't know for sure since I've never had to use it, but it's what I've heard. The only downside is th you loose power saving options, meaning no clocking down when idle.

Some BIOS won't allow for higher than CCC limits. You can open the Afterburner config file, and hidden in there somewhere is a line about "enable unofficial overclocking" or some such. Just change the 0 to 1, and it should work. I don't know for sure since I've never had to use it, but it's what I've heard. The only downside is th you loose power saving options, meaning no clocking down when idle.

You are correct. i found that file. Thanks

Now my concern is the PowerColor PCS+. It only makes it to 900/1300 on stock voltage.

When i try to raise the voltage in Afterburner, the option is grayed out. Is there a workaround for this one?

You are correct. i found that file. Thanks

Now my concern is the PowerColor PCS+. It only makes it to 900/1300 on stock voltage.

When i try to raise the voltage in Afterburner, the option is grayed out. Is there a workaround for this one?

You can possibly try to flash your cards BIOS with an ASUS one and then you would be able to use SmartDoctor to O/C and overvolt the card. My card does 950/1300 on stock volts FWIW.

Are you sure it's using the reference PCB? If not, it might have the software controllable voltage chip removed to decrease cost. AMD GPU Clock Tool might be able to help you, if it's just an Afterburner problem.
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1128/AMD_GPU_Clock_Tool_v0.9.8.html

Does that tool work with the latest ATI cards? I noticed the app hasn't been updated since July 2008.

NOOOO!

Tell me it isn't so :eek:

Are settings sometimes locked in the BIOS? MSI Afterburner will not let me overclock my Diamond any further than 900/1300. Anything higher resets and will not stick :(

What now ? Flash the bios or be resigned to a half-fast HD 5870 at 900/1300 to compete with GTX 480 (826/1100). i already know how the story ends. :p

Use MSI Afterburner to tweak voltage. Close. Use ATI Tray Tools to go above the 900/1300 lockdown. Restart Afterburner. Confirm clocks with GPU-Z.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733

ATT is able to get around the limiter on 900/1300 for some reason, even with the stock bios.

Thanks for all of the tips!

i will investigate to see if the PowerColor (non-reference) has its voltage controller removed
- if so, my best hope for overclocking is to remove the limits on the Diamond

i will update you this afternoon .. i want this 1000MHz/1300+MHZ SO badly

Use MSI Afterburner to tweak voltage. Close. Use ATI Tray Tools to go above the 900/1300 lockdown. Restart Afterburner. Confirm clocks with GPU-Z.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=733

ATT is able to get around the limiter on 900/1300 for some reason, even with the stock bios.

Damn. i set 901/1300 on tray tools (on the Reference Diamond) and the PC crashed :p
- i sent my issues to my AMD contact. i will report back when/if i get an answer

i think my only hope is to flash the BIOS of the Reference Diamond 5870 or it is locked at 900/1300

The PowerColor PCS+ is an unbelievably quiet-running card - without any voltage adjustment
- so i am at a dead stop there at 900/1300MHz :(

I'll assume you enabled the voltage tweaking/monitoring option in AB? Then restarted it right? (You have to restart it for the changes to take effect.)

I'll assume you enabled the voltage tweaking/monitoring option in AB? Then restarted it right? (You have to restart it for the changes to take effect.)

Yes, it is still grayed out for the PowerColor PCS+ Non-reference HD 5870

i simply switch the Diamond reference back in and the voltage options are back
- but now the Clocks are *locked* to no more than 900/1300 (and if i use ATT to set it to 901, my PC crashes):(

it is very frustrating.
:mad:

Yeah I figured you would have.

Bummer it's not doing what you want. :(

I just started playing with this a bit the other day myself.

Yes, it is still grayed out for the PowerColor PCS+ Non-reference HD 5870

i simply switch the Diamond reference back in and the voltage options are back
- but now the Clocks are *locked* to no more than 900/1300 (and if i use ATT to set it to 901, my PC crashes):(

it is very frustrating.
:mad:
Switch on the "non-reference AMD overclocking" option or whatever it's called, see if that works for you. If not, use AMD GPU Clock Tool, that works well too. If it was me, I would just flash to an unlocked BIOS, takes 30 seconds.

Switch on the "non-reference AMD overclocking" option or whatever it's called, see if that works for you. If not, use AMD GPU Clock Tool, that works well too. If it was me, I would just flash to an unlocked BIOS, takes 30 seconds.

i didn't work. i agree with you that i am left with flashing the BIOS
--which one do you suggest? MSI's HD 5870?

@apoppin:
A bit OT, but how would you describe the sound levels on the 5870 pcs+ during normal 2d operations in windows? My ASUS 5870 got bricked and I am looking at a high performance card which is silent enough to use for daily computer use. Was thinking of going 480 this time just for fun, but that was too noisy for my use (I have invested much in getting the computer as silent as possible while still maintaining gaming capabilities). My choices are now between a 5870 Vapor-x or the 5870 PCS+.

MSI card, flashed with Asus bios.

Running 1Ghz core @ 1.187v and 1300Mhz ram. Water cooled with swiftech MCW-60 and unisink, max load ~38c. Love mine, owned since launch in October paid $379 shipped from Newegg.

@apoppin:
A bit OT, but how would you describe the sound levels on the 5870 pcs+ during normal 2d operations in windows? My ASUS 5870 got bricked and I am looking at a high performance card which is silent enough to use for daily computer use. Was thinking of going 480 this time just for fun, but that was too noisy for my use (I have invested much in getting the computer as silent as possible while still maintaining gaming capabilities). My choices are now between a 5870 Vapor-x or the 5870 PCS+.

Really quiet. If you want a quiet card, i like it a lot.
- i simply do not hear it .. but then i do have 5 case fans :p

Of course, even the reference Diamond is quiet enough at idle not to be heard from my case. You need to remember that the PCS+ version is non-reference (shorter and wider) and it does not have any means to adjust the voltage if you choose to O/C.

i am one of those who is not really bothered by noise unless it gets extreme. i have a v400 Klipsch speaker system. Only occasionally was i surprised to hear the GTX 480 while gaming; it is by no means as attention-getting as the 2900XT.

Really quiet. If you want a quiet card, i like it a lot.
- i simply do not hear it .. but then i do have 5 case fans :p

Of course, even the reference Diamond is quiet enough at idle not to be heard from my case. You need to remember that the PCS+ version is non-reference (shorter and wider) and it does not have any means to adjust the voltage if you choose to O/C.

i am one of those who is not really bothered by noise unless it gets extreme. i have a v400 Klipsch speaker system. Only occasionally was i surprised to hear the GTX 480 while gaming; it is by no means as attention-getting as the 2900XT.

Thanks! :) I just put an order on that card then. Noise matters to me, but only when I am not gaming. When I game, it doesn't bother me that much, unless its excessive (like some DVD readers that have that annoying spin sound). However, when I am not gaming, I prefer it as silent as possible. I was very pleased with the 5870, though it was the noisiest part in my system. It was not to intrusive at 2D, though a bit annoying when the fan was spinning up. From the [H] review, it seems that the PCS+ is silent even when the fan is at higher levels. Needed a final confirmation before buy though. The Vapor-x seemed to have better cooling for overclocking, but the larger fan on the PCS+ seemed better for silence, which was my goal.

I'm not going to overclock, but the PCS+ and the Vapor-X second edition both needs to be flashed with a new bios if they are to be volt modded for overclocking stability at higher MHZ. As they metioned for you, its pretty painless to flash with a new bios. I needed to use the force switch (I think it was -f, but you should google it), when I flashed the Asus bios to a generic one. Voids warranty though here in Norway. :(

Thanks! :) I just put an order on that card then. Noise matters to me, but only when I am not gaming. When I game, it doesn't bother me that much, unless its excessive (like some DVD readers that have that annoying spin sound). However, when I am not gaming, I prefer it as silent as possible. I was very pleased with the 5870, though it was the noisiest part in my system. It was not to intrusive at 2D, though a bit annoying when the fan was spinning up. From the [H] review, it seems that the PCS+ is silent even when the fan is at higher levels. Needed a final confirmation before buy though. The Vapor-x seemed to have better cooling for overclocking, but the larger fan on the PCS+ seemed better for silence, which was my goal.

I'm not going to overclock, but the PCS+ and the Vapor-X second edition both needs to be flashed with a new bios if they are to be volt modded for overclocking stability at higher MHZ. As they metioned for you, its pretty painless to flash with a new bios. I needed to use the force switch (I think it was -f, but you should google it), when I flashed the Asus bios to a generic one. Voids warranty though here in Norway. :(

OK, i actually got the PowerColor HD 5870 PCS+ in my PC right this minute and i will give you my impressions as i raise the fan speed.

i just finally got my Diamond reference HD 5870 to 925/1300 which is OK for stock voltage. i feel better with that extra +25 Mhz that i was fiddling with all night to get :p

At 21% - idle, i simply cannot hear the Radeon over my case fans (which are fairly quiet)
- my case is 4' away at the same level as ears.
At 30% you can notice it if you listen for it in a quiet room.
40% you will hear but it is not annoying and certainly never in game. That is where the fan mostly ranges to.

Now if you are overclocking or in a demanding scene and it gets hot, 50% will be heard but still a whisper of air moving.

At 60%, i put on the headphones or turn up my stereo. You can hear it moving air but not whining.

80% is damned annoying and it starts to irritate. But will never see it get there unless you force it to that speed. Temps drop ridiculous low. :p

Yeah!!!

i got over 925 already with the PowerColor - 935/1300

- finally after 2 nights of fiddling with it .. but that seems to be where the reference Diamond stops - 925/1300 .. i might get 927 but, i am OK with it
(now that i can get the PowerColor even higher; i found the voltage regulator!!!)
- it is at 1.200V in Afterburner. i dunno how; the reviews say it is *impossible*

UPDATE before my bedtime :p
Many reviews are dead wrong about the supposed lack of voltage adjustment on the PowerColor HD 5870 PCS+
- there is indeed an adjustment accessible from Afterburner if you edit the configuration file.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/powercolor_5870/5.htm

Voltage programs such as MSI
Afterburner were unable to adjust the voltage and thus the card had to do with what it was set with.

It is by no means the only review that has it wrong. Although I was able to eventually get only 925/1300 on stock voltage, it is now sitting at 960/1300 at just over 1.250V. Maximum temperatures are still excellent.

Count me impressed! This card is a beast when overclocked. I will continue to push it with safety in mind and keep an eye on temperatures. This benching should make for an excellent part two to my test vs overclocked GTX 480 (825/1100).

====

final edit;

i settled on 950/1300 as rock stable. 960MHz was a little flaky and i did not want to go to even 1.25V in the first place, but that is where it will stand. A nice overclock with maximum temperatures still decent although starting to climb.

VERY LATE UPDATE 07.18.10 - i forgot about this until someone emailed me about it ... there is NO voltage adjustment on PowerColor HD 5870 PCS+ - *evidently NOT* even with a BIOS flash as it appears to be locked. i contacted both AMD and PowerColor and they are unwilling to help in any way. 925/1300 is where it finally settled; the Diamond HD 5870 made it to 975/1300 with extra voltage. Sorry.

Last edited:
MSI R5870 lightning 900/1200 @1000/1300 [email protected]

performance on par with my HD5770 CF both @1055/1342:
p192711475598.jpg

Last edited:
I flashed both of my cards and am now running them @ 975/1300. They are really really fast.

UPDATE before my bedtime :p
Many reviews are dead wrong about the supposed lack of voltage adjustment on the PowerColor HD 5870 PCS+
- there is indeed an adjustment accessible from Afterburner if you edit the configuration file.
what have you done exactly to bring out voltage control ?

what have you done exactly to bring out voltage control ?

Use MSI Afterburner. (There are others Like EVGA Precision to.)

Install MSI Afterburner. (Only need to do once, when all the files are in the folder, you can simply copy them elsewhere from then on, no more installing.)

Go to the directory it's in and open the MSIAfterburner.cfg file. (Notepad if it asks, or whatever you prefer.)

Find these lines:
EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0
UnlockVoltageControl = 0
UnlockVoltageMonitoring = 0

Change the 0's to a 1, then save.

Now start, or restart Afterburner to make the settings stick.

You know have voltage control.

Use MSI Afterburner. (There are others Like EVGA Precision to.)

Install MSI Afterburner. (Only need to do once, when all the files are in the folder, you can simply copy them elsewhere from then on, no more installing.)

Go to the directory it's in and open the MSIAfterburner.cfg file. (Notepad if it asks, or whatever you prefer.)

Find these lines:
EnableUnofficialOverclocking = 0
UnlockVoltageControl = 0
UnlockVoltageMonitoring = 0

Change the 0's to a 1, then save.

Now start, or restart Afterburner to make the settings stick.

You know have voltage control.
thx for reply i already did that thought there was some other way :( seems custom sapphire pcbs don't have voltage regulators what a cheapo company

XFX 5870 here, 900/1300 @ 1.15/stock voltage

I've tried higher @ 1.175V but I get artifacts after a minute using MSI Kombuster. Haven't tried it with higher voltages but from what I can see, on average, it doesn't go much higher on stock cooling anyway.

@apoppin:

I have the 5870 PCS+ as well, and it is dead silent in 2D. In Afterburner you can set the minimum fan speed to 10%, and at 10% the temps stay in the mid-30's and the card is absolutely inaudible.

Gonna try the overclocking voltage control this evening. My card crashes out of TF2 after half an hour or so overclocked to 920/1300, so I am hoping a bump in voltage will help. The cooler on this card is so efficient I'm not too worried about temps...

Sapphire 5850
950/1250 (1.2V)
stock cooling
MSI Afterburner

Ran Kombustor for 15 minutes. From approximately the 5 minute mark until the end of the trial temperature was steady at 85°C and fan hit 57%. I'm not going to lie. It's loud.
Crossfire + Eyefinity would've been nice, but I can settle with this.

Last edited:
I have the 5870 PCS+ as well, and it is dead silent in 2D. In Afterburner you can set the minimum fan speed to 10%, and at 10% the temps stay in the mid-30's and the card is absolutely inaudible.

Gonna try the overclocking voltage control this evening. My card crashes out of TF2 after half an hour or so overclocked to 920/1300, so I am hoping a bump in voltage will help. The cooler on this card is so efficient I'm not too worried about temps...

NICE! :D I love the expressions "dead silent" and "absolutely inaudiable"! Like music to my ears. Now I just have to wait until the card arrives. Thats the one thing I hate about purchasing online. Due to easter, I would probably have to wait until Wednesday or Thursday.

I am not going to overclock this card. If it runs dead silent on Idle/2d work and not too noisy on load, I will be a happy gamer. :D

Back