Who needs a window? 22" Installed in a Black Pearl

Z06

[H]ard|Gawd
So i've had this case for over a year. Probably almost 2 years. And I had a Monitor just lying around that Was just taking up room. So I finally got my man cave back, and was bored.

Its a 22" Westinghouse LCD. Definetly not the best LCD out there. But it works.

Here, measuring and taping off exactly what was required to cut and have the panel set in flush.
BlackPearl2010.jpg

BlackPearl2011.jpg

Here's the after shot of it cut out. Not the most perfect. But im lacking a grinding disc for this Dremel tool.
BlackPearl2016.jpg

Here's the Monitor setting in place without the outside panel on.
BlackPearl2015.jpg

BlackPearl2034.jpg

Not much room to spare with my measurements.
BlackPearl2012.jpg

BlackPearl2054.jpg

BlackPearl2050.jpg

Final Fitment is a little off. But I have to fab up some brackets to hold it in place.
BlackPearl2049.jpg

BlackPearl2048.jpg

I will update with a Work Log later... GF Agro meter is pegged. This mod is by No means DONE. Its a Work in progress.

Thanks for looking. I'll Hopefully get time to work on it in the coming days. IM always Busy and this is my first actual MOD on a computer.

Last edited:
Yea. This was a practice run. If I can modify without ruining quality. I'll look into a better LCD screen. When I get home ill update with more pictures.

Updated:

My To Do list:

Brackets for Monitor to Panel. For a secure fit.
Route the Cables to a Standard Position. So there Not Loose inside.
Fixture of a 120MM Fan in front to Combat the increase in Temperature's inside the case.

Last edited:
The pictures won't load cuz I'm on my iPhone or its the schools wifi. I'll check later sounds really neat!

Haven't had time to work on this. Super busy with life and work. In the downtime Ive been brainstorming ideas to flush the heat out as quickly as possible.

Alright a little update. nothing major. Trying to figure the best way to disperse the heat outside the case as quick as possible. Im going to be getting a Temperature Gun (its a neat tool to get accurate temps of a surface) from work, And leave the monitor on for a few hours. Its a mini test i could run. Even though it doesnt do me much good because the Monitor will be heating up the interior of the case. The quicker I get it out the better. I want NO heat to be lingering inside.

Im thinking of mounting two 120mm Fans in the front side of the case. I don't normally use more then one 5 1/4" drive. So im not worried about blocking any of the bays. I figure this should push enough air to move enough air through the case. in a Push/Pull config

BlackPearl3008.jpg

BlackPearl3012.jpg

BlackPearl3010.jpg

And no these will not be the fans I will be using in the final assembly. These are just for mock up. If this Method does not work, I have no problems of building a "zone" for the lcd screen and having there own 60mm or 80mm fans to push the air through a tunnel. I started working on a sketchup design. But i suck with the program so... we'll see. My only concern with that is it will take alot of fabrication of a sheet of aluminium or stainless steel to get it just right.

Interior of the case. I have about 5 1/4" Clearance from the Edge of the LCD to the motherboard Standoff brackets. Which will (hopefully) be enough room for all required hardware. My biggest concern is Graphic card clearance. But

BlackPearl3006.jpg

I get maybe 8 hours a week to work on this project. So if it goes slow thats because i have 100 million other things to do before hand.

Thank you for looking. And I hope you all enjoy.

Nice job! Did that LCD screen have a brick or built-in PSU?

I actually did something similar a few years ago. I put a 15" LCD screen in the side panel of a full tower. I put the screen on the back of the motherboard tray though so that it would not be in the way when changing out hardware. I had a hell of a time with the ribbon cables on the LCD coming loose, so I ended up using zip ties to hold them in better. I also had to cut a hole in the case to route the VGA cable from the video card to the LCD screen.

HA! Yes! This is something I have always thought about. This looks like it will indeed be nice when you finish keep at it!! :D

Cool! Reminds me of the rackmount server cases with a small LCD on the front. You should slap a webcam inside the system taking a pic of the inside and send it to the monitor LOL.

Thanks for the support guys! It helps. I've posted at another forum and I just get criticized about the smallest details.

Anyways, as I post this I'm currently running the LCD to get an overall temperature range. So far its not bad, 88* fareheit. I think 2 120mm fans should be sufficient. If not I guess ill have to build a heat shroud of some sort.

BlackPearl4002.jpg

I borrowed this Temp. Gun from work. Its very accurate. I did a Test. Monitors been running for Over 4 hours with a movie on loop. The Temperature on the LCD Face is higher. But I was more worried about the temperature on the back of the unit. Where the Power connects into. 87.5 is the highest Ive seen on the back part of the LCD.

Also, Going to need one of these. So I dont have to open the side panel. Repeatedly to disconnect the power cable.
PSU Cable, M to F

Last edited:
I have that case. It's the best case I've ever owned. I'm sure there are better out there but it has always worked well for me.

Nice job!

tlkimall i have been admiring the case ever since i've bought it. I Didnt wanna fill it up with junk, so i just held onto it. Then I got bored and this is what happened... lol

I love the idea, now all you need is a handle on top and your good to go!

Handle? I was thinking wheels. Lol.

Ordered some cables for the interior of the case. Just so I dont have to constantly take the side panel off, to disconnect the power and DVI/hdmi cable. These Cables will be routed to the back of the case.

2' M/F Power Cable

3' HDMI Cable, M/F

2 90 Degree HDMI M/F Adapters

Also I've been doing alot of thinking of buying a brand new monitor when/if I get this one all set. Pretty Much this LCD Will just be for FITMENT in the case. (thats the plan anyways)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i like that. been thinking about doing something similar for years. just never had the money or skills to make it clean. recently been thinking of doing it with one of those usb touch screen monitors. there is a nice small bare area in my case thats basically hollow meaning empty bare nothing there to see so why not fill it up with a small monitor ?

Back