Who makes rock solid boards out of box?

My 3 system were Shuttle, Gigabyte & Gigabyte and all three ran flawless

out off the box!! No tweaking needed on any of them..

don't go DFI, I've had nothing problems with my DFI socket A board. Unless your going to spend the heavy bucks on a lanparty board, DFI is a joke. Shuttle's motherboards seems stable, but they're very budget'-ish. I'd get something from Abit or ASUS just to be safe, since I don't know much about AMD chipsets. KT880 is what i'd get, nforce boards usually have trouble with ATi cards. chaintech and soyo also make good boards.....

I would recommend Asus and Abit. MSI does make a solid board, the newer models Soyo are pretty good. All I can say is stay away from fic mobos..

Charlie

blah.. this is a bullshit thread..

Every manufacturer fits this bill, depending on who you ask.. Personally, I've never had any major problems with any boards I've used, except my Abit NF7-S 2.0.. go figure.. took a while to "fix" my SATA problems.. atleast, I think they're fixed.. let's just say, I'm only 90% positive my box is rock solid.. But my A7N8X Deluxe it replaced was extremely stable, until I dinged the pcb edge on the northbridge.. course it still runs, and I might just be imaging things are wrong with it when they're not, but I didn't like the insecurity.. :)

But on another note, I just put together a MSI Neo Platinum 754 system, and it's been probably the best rig I've ever used.. everything worked right off the bat, and is very stable... I'd have no problems getting one for myself..

It really depends on the board vs. the manufacturer IMO, as MSI seems to have gotten it right for the most part with their NF3 boards.. but they put out some nasty nf2 boards.. just like asus put out one of the best 875 boards, but their last RDRAM board didn't even run well at stock speeds.. Even abit who has put out alot of good boards, screwed the pooch with the AN7 (at first, it's gotten better), and the latest nf7-s2 boards..

In short, dont' believe half the horror stories you read around here.. I've owned most problematic boards reported on here, and have always been one of the ones that can say, My shit runs great..

MooCow said:
Listen I've heard a lot more reports from Msi stuff than from any other brand. Yes all stuff breaks, but who breaks more?

I agree I work in a PC service center that also sells more MSI's than anything else. We get a large percentage of them back with problems. Also alot of machines that come in for repair have problems.

But my experiences with Soyo are even worse.

draksia said:
Personally I have own Abit, Asrock, Asus, Biostar, DFI, ECS, MSI, Soyo, Supermicro.

Out of all these the only ones that have been super reliable out of the box are Asrock, ECS, and Supermicro. Believe it or not but this is my experience. Recently I switched from a MSI K8N neo to a Asrock K8S8X it is just as fast but no I no longer have a crash daily in fact I have had only problem because a hard drive took a dump.

Asrock boards are made by Asus. I believe that boards were made by Asus but on their more recent boards they started being made by Foxconn if I am not mistaken.

Sir-Fragalot said:
I agree I work in a PC service center that also sells more MSI's than anything else. We get a large percentage of them back with problems. Also alot of machines that come in for repair have problems.

But my experiences with Soyo are even worse.

Just to be devil's advocate and not doubting your word, but since MSI makes far more boards then the rest of them (my info might be outdated, but they used to be #1) then wouldn't that make sense that you would see more of them failing? A simple matter of more of them out there to break. Possible?

ECS!
:rolleyes:
Nah, MSI has never given me one ounce of trouble yet (Knock on wood), and I have built three systems with them with varying specs. First was a K7N2-L with a XP2000 and some genaric ram, second and third were both constructed with the K7N2-Delta ILSR in varying time periods. No problems what so ever.

Actually total, I think Asus is still the worlds number one manufacturer. Alot of thier boards are used as OEM equipment in alot of PC's. HP's commercial lines and even some of thier home machines to name a few. Although retail Asus branded boards make up a much smaller amount of thier sales.

MSI does make and sell alot of boards. The one's I've used are quirky and I see alot of bad caps on them.

I'm not saying MSI is a bad manufacturer I'm just saying for a little more cash you can do better.

Well I got an Abit Nf7, And its been running solid as a rock since I got it and it plays anything I can throw at it without so much as a hiccup, thanks everybody. :p

Intel & Supermicro, and probably nothing else. Every other manufacturer seems to have issus with 1 out of 15, 1 out of 20 boards. That's pretty bad odds.

That's why I always say that it's unfortunate that AMD doesn't make their own damn chipsets and boards. They'd probably be able to negate all the "Intel is more stable" arguments that pop into corporate people's heads.

-MrD

Asrock boards Are not made by Asus.

And just about all had bad caps. But a few more than other were well known because they sell more. But I do know a few that still use the junk caps. Abit is not now.

ASrock is owned and designed by Asus but I imagine that they are probably contracted out to be manufactures.

That doesn't really bother me because so far mine has be incredibily stable.

by far the most stable board you can get are Tyan and SuperMicro... dont count on any overclocking features tho ;)

oh and they are pricy since they are designed for the workstation/server markets which need 100% stability

ok it is and it is not.
Asrock and Asus are not the same company, Asrock is a subsidiary of Asus. Not the same boards at all.

I'm gonna have to go against the majority here, and say that MSI boards, in my experience, have provided the best combination of features, performance, and reliability.

For those of you that have claimed Intel, then I think that statement needs qualification. The latter revisions of Intel boards are extremely reliable and stable. However, Intel has a horrible reputation of making very unstable and unreliable chipsets and boards in early releases/revisions.

Asus, in my opinion, simply can't touch MSI's reliability. Performance is a toss-up between the two -- both do equally well. However, given two comprably equipped boards, I'll take the MSI over the Asus any day of the week.

ABit boards are among the best for overclocking, imo. However, they're picky when it comes to settings, and they allow you to change many settings outside of the norm. For these reasons, they're great for enthusiasts (so I'm sure most of you like them a lot) but they're not good for newcomers, entry-level applications, or people that simply want a board that works out of the box w/o tweaking.

By far the worst boards I've ever seen are ECS.

That's just how I think of it -- I'm sure there will be plenty to disagree. Take it with a grain of salt, like all other opinions in this thread.

when i first got my 64 3000 i went thru 3 msi neo plat boards that would not even load window reliably before going gb k8ns pro,

now thats rma for 2 bad memory slots, im onto dfi lp ut 250 gb,

every thing loaded and started and installed first time and no regrets. when my gb comes back im giving it to friend to get him on the 64 bit train, come on cho cho ride it...

well, add another 2 successful problem free rigs using MSI K8N Neo boards.. they work like they should.. doesn't get much better than that..

i would have to say Abit, Asus and yes ECS!
those have great stability and the ECS is only good if you dont want to overclock :D

I'd have to go with Asus

i have two old mother boards. I can't remember the exact names of them atm but they were a7v and a7m i believe. They both work great.

The current one I have in my game machine is an a7v266-e. I've had this board for 3 years now with no problems. No capicitor leaks, no random reboots. I had a network card stuck in this motherboard when lightning killed my network card - mobo survived. i misplaced a jumper near the cmos battery and shorted the battery out ( i need a new battery still) and it still runs fine, though, i have to redo my bios everytime the power goes out for > 5 secs because i haven't changed the battery yet.

I've put together 4 a7n8x's and they all ran fine with no problems at all.

I've had friends who've gotten msi boards that didn't like their memory (wouldn't boot properly). Then i have two close friends who grabbed 2 gigabit motherboards. I can't remember the exact model, but they were around when i bought my a7v266-e. Everything ran fine except one problem, asherons call 2. I'm not going to go into the game much except they had this weird latency. Everyone in the game (even the game itself) ran fine, except *their* character. Their animations were slow, about 1/2 the speed of everyone elses. They've both changed vid card and still the same thing occurred until they switched motherboards. One took my advise and got the a7n8x and the other another gigabit :confused:

Anyways, switching boards cleared up the slow animation problem for both of them.

i have an epox, it's dead because of capacitor leakage.... bad leaks :eek:

Noted above, some boards will be cheaper, some faster, some more stable, but you really can't tell how stable it is for you until you used it with all the programs and games you would normally use it for.

Asus usually costs more, but i feel comfortable buying their brand. It's like new egg. They don't always have the lowest price, but i'd pay extra for security and reputation :D

Vriess said:
Ive been having so many problems with my m7ncd that Ive decided to just throw down the cash on a real motherboard. I want something that is going to work the first time, and every fucking time. I know Asus, MSi, Shuttle, DFI are all top runners but who makes boards that run 100% with little to no tweaking?

I prefer Asus myself I have never had any problems with one yet. My P4C800-E Deluxe is rock solid with all the trimmings. I have my 3.4 northwood overclocked to 3.6 with a gig of GeIL ultra platinum dual channel ddr and a BFGTech6800GTOC overclocked to Ultra with no errors ever. This thing is the fastest machine I have ever had the joy to own or tinker with. No matter what processor I would say ASUS or DFI

Wow reading this has been interesting. If you want an unbiased opinon, go over to amdmb.com they at least have areas for each manufacture of boards, so you can get opinons from people who you know are using the boards, rather then here where you basically get the "my penis is bigger then yours, therefore you suck" syndrome. If you aren't running an xp52000 and an ati 10500 pro ext super duper version 2, with 2 gigs of ram running at fsb of 1.2ghz then your rig is out dated and not worthy of being menthoned on [H].

Now there have been many posters whom have taken an unbias approach and I am glad to see it, but its too bad too many are here that have horrible perceptions.

My MSI has been fantastic for 3yrs now. Its just crappy in the eyes of the [H] gods because it won't OC to a fsb of 220.

Paully's5.0 said:
Now there have been many posters whom have taken an unbias approach and I am glad to see it, but its too bad too many are here that have horrible perceptions.
My MSI has been fantastic for 3yrs now. Its just crappy in the eyes of the [H] gods because it won't OC to a fsb of 220.

Dude this is computer geek central we are very meticulous about our machines and like to be technical. I am not trying to down you by any means. I am not like that my friend. You should upgrade that motherboard to a newer MSI version. For the effect it would have on your system speed would be a huge change. I love ASUS for its easy overclockability with stability. Am I a jerk for that and for stating my machine specs?

Another vote for Asus. Never had a prob with em. Then again, Gigabyte makes a well built board.

For the most part I see any mobo being divided into two camps:

Those that support AMD cpus and those that support Intel cpus.

In the AMD camp you have VIA, SIS and nVidia chipsets.
In the Intel camp you have VIA, SIS and Intel chipsets.

That's a lot of variables, so any certain chipset could have problems with a certain cpu.

So just naming any one manufacturerer without regard to cpu and chipset is disengenious.

Each is bound to a have a turkey and an eagle.

For the Intel side I would nominate ECS, Intel and Asus.

Supposedly ECS makes a lot of ABit boards.

Asus used to make Intel's boards, at least up to the i875, but Foxconn now makes Intel's LGA775 boards.

I remember having the ASUS vs ABIT arguement years ago. After going through 4 ABIT boards I tend to think ASUS has the better track record. But ASUS doesn't seemingly care about Linux... Since I use Linux I tend to stay with 100% Intel boards.

But I never had any problems with ECS running Intel procs.; their low number of BIOS updates for their SIS chipset mobos is remarkable, at least the ones I owned. My last ECS board had 2 BIOS updates in 3 years, but it still seemed to have USB problems (P6S5AT). My P4ITA is still going strong. My Intel D875PBZLK is up to P27, but it has fully matured and is 100% rock stable. But at least I'm not doing the VIA shuffle (a bad experience from the past; one that has turned me off forever).

I'm waiting for a mature nVidia 939 product. Those that mentioned Asrock and Albatron have piqued my interest.

>WP< $lipKnot said:
Dude this is computer geek central we are very meticulous about our machines and like to be technical. I am not trying to down you by any means. I am not like that my friend. You should upgrade that motherboard to a newer MSI version. For the effect it would have on your system speed would be a huge change. I love ASUS for its easy overclockability with stability. Am I a jerk for that and for stating my machine specs?

And thanks for that recomendation for a newer motherboard, sorry to be a smartass but its three years old, pretty obivous it needs to be upgraded, however a new mobo = new proc = new memory = $$$$$. Money talks in my world, my computer does everything I need it to do without problems, therefore my money is going elsewhere.

Yes it is good to be meticulous, and to be very technical, however here 75% of the replys you get are neither. wallijonn's post is in that 25% category, great job! It's great to get an opinion/info from someone that seams to have a clue.

i prefer via or nvidia chipsets on amd side. I haven't had a pentium chip - ever, except if you count my laptop. hyperthreading is nice btw. If you haven't tried it, try it out with someone else's computer :D

Rock solid?
Intel, and look no further.

AMD?
Abit has never failed me.

Asus is my choice, I have 3 different boards and all worked great out of the box. A8V dlx, A7N8X dlx, A7V8X dlx, A7N8X-X.

Back