Who is waiting for the Core i7-3770K

UnrealCpu

2[H]4U
The Core i7-3770K supposed to be out March 2012

The most extensive testing done compared an i7-2600 to an i7-3770. Both processors have 8M cache, 3.4 GHz base clock, 4 cores and hyperthreading. The i7-2600 has Intel HD2000 graphics, while the i7-3770 has HD4000 graphics. Tested using Sysmark 2012 (which represents performance using business applications), IB showed a 7% performance increase over SB. HDXPRT (consumer content creation) showed a 14% increase. Cinebench 11.5 showed a 15% performance boost for 3D rendering tasks, while ProShow Gold 4.5 showed a 13% boost for slideshow creation. Each of these tasks is said to show the effect of architecture improvements and higher Turbo Boost 2.0 frequencies. A final CPU test using Excel 2010 showed a 25% performance boost, helped by a faster cache. These figures represent an overall performance boost of about 18% on a wide range of processor intensive tasks.
Testing the graphics performance, we see some much more interesting results. ArcSoft Media Expresso, measuring Intel Quick Sync Video performance, showed a boost of 56%. 3D Mark Vantage graphics subtest using the entry preset showed a gain of 168% in 3D graphics performance.
As I would expect, those new processors with a higher frequency upgrade show greater performance boost. For example, the i7-2600S is replaced by an i7-3770S, with an increase of 300 MHz in the base clock and 100 MHz in the Turbo Boost speed, and a CPU performance boost of approx 19% using the same set of tests.

figure my system made it this far, probably gonna have to wait for a game to come out i want to play that actually stresses my system before I upgrade.

I am waiting for one, be the place i usually buy from is constantly OOS, so it's making me rethink if I should just wait out.

My q9550 at 3.61 gtx 570 doing great

I will be buying as soon as newegg has it

so whats the hype on the 6 core cpus intel just released?

Me!

It's either gonna be that or the 3570k depending on benchmarks and value.

Good ole' gulftown is holding up nicely (reminds me of my old qXXX quad, just nothing powerful enough to justify moving up yet)

Good ole' gulftown is holding up nicely (reminds me of my old qXXX quad, just nothing powerful enough to justify moving up yet)

Are you talking about your sig machine? A i7 950 isnt a gulftown chip.

Can anyone tell me what games use 6 cores and 6 threads?

Why would a game have to use 6 cores to be faster on SB-E? SB-E offers 40 lanes of PCI-E bandwidth compared to 16 on Ivy Bridge and benchmarks show that the X79 platform is faster across the board with multi GPU setups compared to Sandy Bridge.

Also not everyone purchases a high-end CPU with the sole intention of the most CPU intensive task they ever do on it to be gaming, especially when you consider how little a faster CPU actually improves performance in the majority of PC games being released today. Only CPU intensive titles like Skyrim, World of Warcraft, Civilization 5, ect show noticeable performance gain from a faster processor when using a single GPU config and the 3930k and 3960x offer higher fps than the current Sandy Bridge processors in every one of those games despite them not being able to utilize the 6 cores and 12 threads of the SB-E processors.

And for real work like 3D rendering, content creation, productivity software, encoding multimedia, you know all those areas where you quoted the performance boost the 3770k would offer over the 2600k? Well the 6 core SB-E chips will be without question faster than any 4 core Ivy Bridge chips that are released next spring in those categories because many of those types of apps are multithreaded and fully capable of utilizing additional cores and cache.

Last edited:
If all you wanted to do was gaming and maybe some small website or c++ coding... Would you do the new Ivy bridge or a SB-E? I would like to have three gpus to run surround...

Thanks

I am waiting on one, just saving up cash for the new build.

Can anyone tell me what games use 6 cores and 6 threads?

Probably many future ones soon to be released. If you're buying an enthusiast processor, whether GPU or CPU, you're probably planning for the future, not what's available right now. I could have opted for a GTX580 and improved my performance on any game out now with my current setup for a fraction of the price of a new system, but I chose to replace everything and look ahead than just being able to play what's available.

Plus there's all those non-gaming programs that benefit.

Not to mention you can say "Sexcore Inside".

Waiting for Ivy Bridge Extreme, was looking forward to SBE but it turns out it wasn't much faster than Gulftown.

IVB-E won't be either :(

Depends on how much Ivy Bridge improves on performance and the overclocking headroom from the die shrink. IVB-E may also offer Intel's first 8 core desktop part. IVB-E late next year is where the real performance will be shown from the move to 22nm, Ivy on socket 1155 this spring isnt likely to be anything but a small bump over current Sandy Bridge processors.

Last edited:
BF3 uses all 6 of my cores. It's the way things are going, it may take a bit to get there but you might as well give em more of a reason to ;)

I dont think i can wait much longer too and very much looking to upgrade my Q9550 at 3.61. My plan is to go SLI with another GTX 570 or wait and see if ATI releases something better in the next few months.
Although from my research I think i would prefer the 3770k since this processor is more likely to hit over 5 gigahertz on air vs any intel 6 core or AMD processor. When the benchmarks are released I am sure Ivy will take top place.

I am sure specific applications that take advantage of 6 cores would be slightly faster than ivy. As for games I dont think we will see games taking full advantage advantage of a 6 core processors for a few years and by then there will be 8 cores and less power 6 cores overclocking over 5 gigahertz. From what i heard though Wow and civilization 5 run slightly faster but really i think a 2600k does over 200 FPS at 1920x1200 so i really dont see the point to brag about this since games only need to run at 60FPS or 120FPS depending on your monitor unless you are running over 5000x res.
Unless we see a big change in benchmarks 6 cores taking the lead by several FPS i dont see the reason to spend the money.. You would be better off buying another video card for SLI. So unless you like to brag or you encode several movies or work for a movie studio i dont see the reason right now. I can wait 2-5 min longer to encode a movie vs spending 200 dollars more for a processor. Unless someone can show me something to think 6 cores are that much better right now please feel free to send me a link . I might possibly just buy a 6 core right now and forget Ivy.

I didn't wait. Sold my i7-960 and bought a black friday deal on i5-2500k with MSI Z68-GD65 G3.

Plan on selling i5-2500k to buy i5-3750k.

IB Mobile will be in my laptop mid 2012. Waiting for Haswell on my desktop.

I might, just to play around with it and aim for a pretty easy 5ghz+ with my h100 cooler. Other than that, my 2500k has been great.

Back