Who is teh b3$+ motherboard manufacturer?

Which is teh b3$+ teh m0th3rb04rd manufacturer?

• Intel

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • MSI

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • Asus

Votes: 59 46.5%
  • GigaByte

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • EpoX

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Other, Please specify

Votes: 34 26.8%

• Total voters

MaXimus

[H]ard|Gawd
Who do you reckon?

I like the packaging of MSI, the PCB, and overall board quality!

asus hands down. And Ive had DFI, MSI, Gigabyte, ECS, Intel, Abit. And yes all the popular ones, p4c800-e deluxe, A8n SLI, DFI SLI-DR, Abit Ic7, Ic7-g, ic7-g max3, etc, etc.

DFI = flakiest board you can imagine, as well as fastest. Unless you like doing a "memory dance" to the "memory gods" every time you start up your machine after the power has been turned off or unplugged, stay away from it. Unfortunatly, its also the best overclocker and fastest. BEst bios layout and options. Worst manual and support have had several memory sticks die in it. 5 in fact (I've used around 20 total). DFI says this is normal and caused by user error. More like engineering error. tried multiple boards, all behaved simarily.

ASUS = Best s478 board out (p4c800-e deluxe, I've hit 318fsb on air with 2.4C and taken bh-5 to 267mhzm which was CRAZY for s478). That with a vdimm mod though. A8n SLI is insanley stable compared to DFI, but about 100mb/s sandra slower in memory bandwith. GOes up to 3.0vdimm, which is nice, and is ULTRA stable. Didnt even have to reinstall windows going from DFI to asus. Automatic sli switching, no jumpers, fanless, board is simply a dream to work with.

ABIT = faded glory. Used to rock, now going bankrupt. Some boards are still good I hear but have no personal experience with of later.

Gigabyte: Asus stable, nothing spectacular.

Intel = Intel stable. In other words the definition of stability

Overall Asus products have left me simply amazed time and time again.

DFI

Second best, Abit.

Worst, MSI.

From my personal experience.

None of them.. there are bad motherboards by good manufactureres and vice versa once in a while.

vsrdan said:
None of them.. there are bad motherboards by good manufactureres and vice versa once in a while.

I agree, with the way these companies design these boards as quick as they can, and then crank these boards out by the millions, youre always going to have lemons.

I have had boards that were made by Asus and Abit come DOA, or die after 4 months to a year, while boards made by OEM board companies ECS, PC Chips, Albratron and Jetway run and run 24/7 for years.

BTW I never thought that any ECS product would ever be featured on the front page of [H]...looks like they are getting serious.

Motherboard making is a business with great economies of scale. If there was a single manufacturere that was significantly better than all the others, they would slowly create a monopoly. Since that is not the case atm, there isn't a best mobo manf.

SN4p said:

I strongly disagree here. With such huge memory incompatibilities and power supply issues, this board simply can not be classified as a quality product with so many issues. Plus the DFI board often needs a BIOS update for stability.

This board has all the quirks and problems of something along the same calibur as ECS, BIOStar or some other junk boards. Despite the fact this board can overclock really high, it has no redeeming value. I tried and tried to make one of those pieces of shit work properly in a customer unit for days. After throwing in the towel and going Asus, customer is happy and so am I.

My personal experiences rank them in this order:

Asus
Intel
Tyan
SuperMicro
MSI
Abit
Gigabyte
DFI
ECS
PC-Chips

There are other brands, but that's typically how I would rank them.

ASUS has always been kind to me.
Think I'd go with DFI if I had to choose a second.

Abit and Asus are good boards.

Ive never had any problems at all with my Asus P4B533
My Abit IC7-Max 3 is a great board as well.

Is Abit really going out of business?

i bought a ECS a754 nf4 mb from ewiz a while back for $47 slapped in a 90nm sempron and to my suprise --the darned thing is stable as a rock in win 2000 pro overclockes to 250fsb with ease , had diveders for the ram, pci-locks , buss locks, a good range of v-dimm and v-core voltage tweeks . and is made with very good components .

the thing is not the least finikey about ram or psu's--something the gold-palted mb's have problems with .

the ECS's nf4s are a new breed compared to the ECS's of the past . unless your Ocing above 250fsb --i don't see any reason not to get the ECS and save a few bucks . :eek:

My top two choices would be ASUS and Abit; both were feature rich and stable as anything. The worst company, in my mind, is DFI; their boards are plagued with problems that I'd expect of a PC Chips mobo, has terrible technical support, and lacks a wide compatability with various memory chips and PSUs. After a summer of troubleshooting one of their boards, I swore that I'd never deal with another piece of shit DFI board again.

Asus has always been good for me ..I have strayed to and fro going for less expensive or more overclockability or just being curious with brand X's product ... I get another Asus and ... well ...like I said, Asus has always been good for me...... :)

While I like other brands such as DFI, Abit, MSI, I chose ASUS because even though their mobo's have above average overclockability, I rarely hear about people with ASUS boards having instability. Those things are just as stable as ever. Sure there they ocassional (sp?) few, but they are few and far between.

From my experience its been Abit. They've been very stable, and overclock as good or better than other boards. Asus definately 2nd, due to the same reasons but I did have one finicky asus board along time ago so it comes in 2nd :) MSI is by far the worst now, the last 2 brand new boards I got from them have really bad problems.

I've had 2 ic7 mobos die on me :mad: one only lasted a week. My IS7 (my fisrt) is still running strong. My next board won't be an abit....

i use ECS. i used to love gigabyte but the quality of those boards seem to have gone down drastically lately...

As for as just a stock motherboard goes, Intel is the king of kings. Always on par with third party boards in near the tops at stock performance, and always super stable. Never been a band intel board launch in a long time....

As for third party boards, which I currently run two Abit boards myself...

Abit then Asus, possibly MSI at third, but I prefer Asus or Abit most of the time

Abit and Asus are the boards that have been good to me. I've also had some Chaintechs that have been good too. Most boards I've had were workable with a little tweaking :).

DFI

have their boards had problems?
yes

have i personally had problems with their boards?
yes

do they make the best motherboard on the market?
fuckin' A

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
DFI, you cant beat the best. abit does get a close second place.

In my book "best" doesnt mean a board that killed over $400 worth (3x 512mb redline, 1x512mb corsair value) of my top performance memory that ran fine in every other mobo known to man. Oh, thats through 2 different DFI boards too.

computerpro3 said:
In my book "best" doesnt mean a board that killed over $400 worth (3x 512mb redline, 1x512mb corsair value) of my top performance memory that ran fine in every other mobo known to man. Oh, thats through 2 different DFI boards too.

They got issues, and they dont deny it, but when someone goes to build a s939 rig, what does everyone reccommend? a DFI board.

asus and abit are my favs

i fucking hate MSI... more than anyone else....well maybe not more htan ECS, but you get the point

intel's are stable as all hell, but no OCing

havent used a DFI yet, getting an NF4 Ultra-D soon though.

gigabyte is ok... but doenst excel in anything

intel for me....i have never even seen one single BSOD/system freeze/ or any other malfunction of any sort for over a year since i got my board :) , i do pay the price in overclocking though :(

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
They got issues, and they dont deny it, but when someone goes to build a s939 rig, what does everyone reccommend? a DFI board.

When they first came out they were most reccomended. Now the trend is more 50/50 dfi/asus/abit far as I can tell. People are getting pissed with the hundreds they are pissing away in memory with DFI. And you're certainly right they dont deny it, their tech support guy seemed almost proud of the fact that it killed 3 sticks (sir, thats normal, its just something you have to live with on the bleeding edge. Dont feel bad sir, in india we dont even have computers. ). Well I think a 3.3ghz a64 on an asus premium will have to be bleeding edge enough for me.

No one seems to like MSI, but my MSI K8N NEO4 PLATINUM is rock solid. No issues at all since day one. Perfect for an air cooled system and especially for novice to intermediate overclocking even though I maxed out my chip on this board and I am presuming that no other board could get more out of my chip than this board already has.

Two thumbs up for MSI. DFI is great also but so many BIOS compatibility issues with memory.

Back