Who is still using a Sandy Bridge era chip

Vengance_01

Supreme [H]ardness
I am still rocking a P67 MSI board, 16GB ram and a 2500K@ 4.2GHZ. I think I have had this setup for 3 years now. Zero intention of upgrading. Granted I hardly use this computer anymore.

I think it is going to be a lot.
At this very minute my son is loading Win 7 onto a new SSD he bought and installing a cheap 290 he found onto a P67 MSI mobo with a 2500K. It's his main system. The 2500K will do 4.4 all day long. He couldn't be happier.

I have a 2600k @ 4800 MHz since the day they were launched! I've ran 3 6970s with it 3 7970s, 3 780s, and now waiting for 3 980s to get here. People yell at me about me choking my video cards on Pci express 2.0 but my Fps scream and I just can't justify upgrading yet. Maybe next year depending on what Intel dies hehe.

I have a 2600k an a p67 sabertooth, and prior to that I had a 2500k that my dad is using now. Overclocked to about 4.4ish ghz it's practically on par with haswell at similar speeds for gaming, so I haven't been tempted to upgrade for a while. The only thing I sort of want at the moment is a newer motherboard for features' sake, but that's not anything that is super urgent for me.

2500k on Z68 but it's getting upgraded to 5820k as soon as i get some spare cash :)

Still running a 2500k at a moderate overclock of 4.5 and I have no reason yet to upgrade. For gaming it doesn't make any sense yet. There just aren't very many games that tax my CPU or even make me want to try and increase my overclock.

2600k, stock.

I haven't found any real reason to upgrade, though I bumped up to a GTX780Ti when they came out.

As long as AMD chips still haven't even come close to Sandy Bridge performance and the game programmers have yet to make any games that really push these chips, I will have zero reason to upgrade since the industry is kind of stagnate right now. I just don't do anything else that would necessitate an upgrade.

Still on my 2500K from a couple years ago as well. The only thing that could really use a better CPU is BeamNG Drive, and if only I could get a stable OC I would be fine. :( If anyone wants to help a poor soul I'll be very appreciative lol. I've plugged in settings recommended from other sites and even downclocked but kept the voltage the same and I still get BSODs, even though it will stress test fine.

Sorry for the story lol, just saying my 2500K is still rocking with no real sign of being replaced yet. :)

Still running P8P67 Deluxe with 2600k @ 4.4GHz.

I used to do 4.8, then 4.6, now 4.4GHz. I dunno if it's mobo or CPU degradation. Either way I'm about to put two GTX 980s in here and see if it gives me any reason to upgrade to a more modern chipset.

2 of my work machine are still i7 2600(non-K) overclocked to turbo 4.3ghz and 4.0 under full load.. (thanks intel for those extra 4 multi =D) rock solid since launch..

Still gaming regularly with my 2500k and a 6870...even running it at stock speeds. I tend to buy games after they've been out a year or two because I can't stand paying $60 for new releases. That could explain why I haven't noticed any slow down whatsoever. My plan is to go to an ssd when windows 9 comes out. That will probably extend the life another two years for me easy. I may overclock if I start noticing a loss in performance.

2500k @ 4.8. not planning an upgrade until skylake is released as i doubt broadwell will change much, so i'm sticking with this til late next year. My e6600 @ 3.5 lasted me from 2006 to 2011 and this cpu is going to last me from 2011 to 2015, not bad I'd say. Only two CPU's over 9 years.

I have a 2500k with a z68 board.
All I did was increase the multiplier to 43x and it works fine.
For me it isn't worth messing around with the voltage as I want to keep heat and energy costs down.

Still running a 2500k at a moderate overclock of 4.5 and I have no reason yet to upgrade. For gaming it doesn't make any sense yet. There just aren't very many games that tax my CPU or even make me want to try and increase my overclock.

Well there are some games that cripple the 2500k. Like Crysis 3 and Planetside 2 for starters. But most games are not an issue. A nice monitor will definitely be my next upgrade. Something like the Swift. Then when I realize that my 680s aren't enough to keep up, I will probably get the flagship 3rd gen Maxwell THEN a CPU.

I have a 2500k with a z68 board.
All I did was increase the multiplier to 43x and it works fine.
For me it isn't worth messing around with the voltage as I want to keep heat and energy costs down.

What speed are running at Silk? How are temps?

i7 2700k @ 4600Mhz 1.28v's. I want to upgrade, I really do, but its just not worth it for what I do at this point. 16gb of samsung wonder ram @ 1866Mhz c9 1t helps speed things along also.

This will probably be my last ddr3 setup, and i'll eventually jump to a ddr4 setup in a year or two. Maybe.

For gaming a devils canyon @ 4600Mhz would be a decent jump in performance, but probably not 300$ worth! Then again who knows, maybe my p67 extreme 6 and i7 2700k are still worth something to recoup costs. I don't know.

At least in gaming, it doesn't seem like there are the huge bumps in generations that Intel used to have. Back in the day I couldn't imagine being 3 or 4 generations behind, but I'm still on Sandy Bridge @ 4.4 and 16GB of ram and feel absolutely zero pressure to upgrade, except just to have something newer for the sake of being new.

Well there are some games that cripple the 2500k. Like Crysis 3 and Planetside 2 for starters. But most games are not an issue. A nice monitor will definitely be my next upgrade. Something like the Swift. Then when I realize that my 680s aren't enough to keep up, I will probably get the flagship 3rd gen Maxwell THEN a CPU.

I run Crysis 2 with the HD texture pack without issue as far as I can tell. What kind of crippling effects can I expect when I get Crysis 3? Are we talking a few less fps or real issues running the game?

With the major publishers/devs basically pissing me off with DLC and crap games to the point I hardly buy their stuff, and the indie games I am buying, not really putting much demand on my I7 920 and 6970, I find it hard to work up the bother to upgrade. Perhaps next year I will bring myself back up to current if I feel like it.

There's really no reason to upgrade from Westmere (32 nm Nehalem) unless you're terribly concerned about power consumption. You can get the quad cores to 4.2-4.4 easily.

SB raised the OC ceiling to roughly 5GHz, made some major power efficiency gains, and did hardly anything for IPC.

Ivy and Haswell are garbage.

So yeah, I'd say we have hardly any reason to upgrade from Gulftown, let alone SB.

i7-2600k at 4.8Ghz for 3yrs now. Built it for BF3 release and have no reason to upgrade it anytime soon.

My main gaming machine is a 2600k, my wife's machine has a 2500k, and the pc I use in my shop has a 2400.

No real reason to upgrade them.

I run Crysis 2 with the HD texture pack without issue as far as I can tell. What kind of crippling effects can I expect when I get Crysis 3? Are we talking a few less fps or real issues running the game?

There are a lot of physics effects like grass moving and the like that benefit from hyperthreading. There are various areas in the game where I drop to 35 fps while my CPU is 100% on all 4 cores and my GPUs are around 80%. Lowering the graphics settings doesn't help.

I went from P2-1090T and p2-965 to i7-4770k and i5-4570.

Love the new cpus!

Back