who is right? MSI or Intel?

Strang

n00b
Hey there,

looking at this MSI Neo2-PFS 865PE over at newegg. looks great except I was also looking at the P4 2.4C 800FSB and its a northwood core. on the MSI's stats it says

FSB: 800/533MHz, 400MHz for Northwood only.

Does this mean I will NOT be able to use the 800FSB the chip is capable of?

thanks guys

-Steven

I think yhat means the only 400fsb cpus that are supported are Northwoods I am sure we will find out if I am wrong.

BusaOrZX12 said:
I think yhat means the only 400fsb cpus that are supported are Northwoods I am sure we will find out if I am wrong.
Sounds right to me.

What's the confusion? :confused: ANY Northwood, period (power specs aside) should work fine in an 865/875 chipset board.

Stiletto One said:
Sounds right to me.

What's the confusion? :confused: ANY Northwood, period (power specs aside) should work fine in an 865/875 chipset board.

I thought that would be the case. Its probably MSI's way of luring in noobies or people who don't really know much about computers. Or an attempt at sounding smart..

MSI puts that in mainly because of older Socket 478 Pentium 4 and Celeron chips.
Example: A P4 1.6 will not work but a P4 1.6A will. The difference? The 1.6A has 512MB of cache and is a Northwood. Celerons 2.0Ghz and higher will work fine too but with an 865/875 and a Celeron I have one question: WHY!??!!??!?!?

The_Mage18 said:
MSI puts that in mainly because of older Socket 478 Pentium 4 and Celeron chips.
Example: A P4 1.6 will not work but a P4 1.6A will. The difference? The 1.6A has 512MB of cache and is a Northwood. Celerons 2.0Ghz and higher will work fine too but with an 865/875 and a Celeron I have one question: WHY!??!!??!?!?
865 IS a budget/"mainstream" chipset.

Anyway, the Willamette core was pretty much disowned by Intel ASAP. Kinda funny. So that's why they mentioned "Northwood only for 400MHz FSB support", in case some whack job tried to stick a Willie 478 in.

I hope you people dont believe the fsb is really that high.... seeing as its only 200mhz and then Intel claims to quad pump it and come up with this 800mhz fsb :rolleyes:

This quad pumping and HT is like Peter Pan I tell ya ;)

Give me good ole FPU and IPC any day :eek:

NEVERLIFT said:
I hope you people dont believe the fsb is really that high.... seeing as its only 200mhz and then Intel claims to quad pump it and come up with this 800mhz fsb :rolleyes:

This quad pumping and HT is like Peter Pan I tell ya ;)

Give me good ole FPU and IPC any day :eek:
Well, put it this way: AMD has a 100MHz FSB, but since it's single-pumped DDR, you could call it 200MHz. Intel had basically a quad-pumped SDR bus (with dual channel RAMBUS, anyway; they did some memory controller shenanigans for dual channel DDR support), making their 100MHz FSB 400MHz effective.

Figure it out from there. *shrug*

Stiletto One said:
Well, put it this way: AMD has a 100MHz FSB, but since it's single-pumped DDR, you could call it 200MHz. Intel had basically a quad-pumped SDR bus (with dual channel RAMBUS, anyway; they did some memory controller shenanigans for dual channel DDR support), making their 100MHz FSB 400MHz effective.

Figure it out from there. *shrug*

It been my pleasure ;)

Back to the origional topic at hand. What the mean by 400MHz Northwood only is the board will not support the origional Willy cores, only the P4A Northwood based 400MHz bus cores.

i think thats what i was worried about.. didn't want it taking my 800fsb chip and putting it at 400 because its northwood core..

i am over it now.. going with abit IS7 most likely. has more that ai want and need. ex. firewire ports

from what i heard, williamette core was a socket 423 anyways so they are already incompatible.

starhawk said:
from what i heard, williamette core was a socket 423 anyways so they are already incompatible.
They existed briefly as socket 478, I THINK. I'm too lazy to actually go check.

The_Mage18 said:

The reason is that the power spec required for the Prescott core requires a much lower voltage than any of the other PIV's on the market- consider the following voltages:

Prescott ~ 1.3v
Northwood ~ 1.5-1.55v
Williamette ~ 1.75v

When looking at the VRM's put on motherboards, the Prescott compatable VRM's can only output upto 1.7v- making it rather difficult for the Williamette core to run (Williamette = all non-"A" S478 processors and all Socket 423's). These were all 400fsb chips- prescotts start at 533, otherwise it'd include those too.

This issue that MSI is trying to avoid is NOT an FSB based issue: simply a power issue- a board that supports the prescott cannot support williamette, but both can support Northwood.

For Strag's original question: this board will work with ALL Prescott and Northwood core processors at 400, 533 or 800fsb's. It will NOT work with ANY Williamette core processors (cooincidently, are ONLY 400mhz).

Hopefully this helps.

Stiletto One said:
They existed briefly as socket 478, I THINK. I'm too lazy to actually go check.

I have used two 1.7GHz Socket 478 Willy chips in the past year. They were pulls from dead boxes headed for the dumpster, or rather they were pulled from the dumpster. The 1.7GHz chips were popular is business boxes, just like the 2.4GHz B.

If I remember right, the Williamette core went up 2.0 or 2.2 GHz.

Stiletto One said:
865 IS a budget/"mainstream" chipset.

Anyway, the Willamette core was pretty much disowned by Intel ASAP. Kinda funny. So that's why they mentioned "Northwood only for 400MHz FSB support", in case some whack job tried to stick a Willie 478 in.

i thought willie was a socket 423 proc only.... :confused:

edit: nevermind, this has been covered already/

starhawk said:
according to cpu mag, they went to 2.4ghz.

I've subscribed to CPU mag for a few years now. It makes great toilet reading material, but its usefulness ends there.

Back