Who is more stable at 8GB+? AMD or Intel? X58 or H57?

geok1ng

2[H]4U
I am starting a new build, and after a ton of memory problems with 4 sticks of ram on the P5Q Deluxe, i have a natural fear of 8GB+ builds.

At 8Gb, 12Gb and 16GB the memory controller needs more juice and it is quite easy to run into stability issues, as numerous post around here show.

so my very first decision is chipset:

Intel or AMD?

If Intel, X58 or H57?

Lynnfield or Clarkdale?

No guru by any means but the info I get is Intel is king as far as memory controllers go, no matter what the platform.

Were the issues with 8gb overclocked? I know 4 dimms will hamper your overclocking potential, and I believe that is cross the board.
The reason I say this is I was running 4*2GB on a P5Q-E (Similar to your deluxe) and now a P5Q-EM without issue. One setup was Crucial Ballistix and another Mushkin. Both were stock NB voltages with only a light overclocking ([email protected]).

No issues with my setup (12GB). Havent tried many other 8GB plus setups...

The amount of memory wasn't the problem, 4 sticks of ram was the problem. Multiple sticks of memory per channel is always going to complicate the circuit and create trouble when overclocking. Simply go 2x4gb modules and you will be fixed.

Back