Who is buying a 3090?

Finally, it arrived! And...it fits my Node 804...barely. While the case can fit up to a 320mm video card, that rear bracket made it a challenge to get it in the case. I had to remove the front intake filter to give enough room to angle the card in. Once past the lip of the case, install was easy.

IMG_7470.jpg

I can't wat to put the XC3 in my itx case. The 980ti is already real close to the shroud so I know the 3080 will be even more snug. :D

Attachments

• 2020-10-08.jpg
    2020-10-08.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 0
Has anyone been able to get the Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC in the US yet? Missed all the drops for the FE 3090 so far so might as well wait for the best version - the Strix OC 3090!

I have the NVLink bridge but need 2x 3090s. LOL

After the launch day debacle of both the 3080 and 3090, I gave up trying to get one after a week and got on with my life.

Then suddenly today after lunch I get an email from EVGA saying they had a 3090 in stock with my name on it reserved for 8 hours.
I had made the decision I either wanted the Asus 3090 STRIX or eVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA. Honestly I was pulling for the STRIX but I just bought the eVGA. It will arrive in 2 days. Man, that is a pile of money for a video card!! :greedy: :D

Still.... With the exception of my 49" Samsung, my Threadripper rig hasn't changed much in 2 years. My 1080ti STRIX has served me well. I will hand it down to my office workstation where it can live out it's life in serenity.

I'm seeing so many more end users get these over bots with how EVGA's doing this now. Others could follow but they don't care about their customers to do so. Will definitely think more about supporting them with future purchases.

Since im getting a 6900xt and EVGA doesnt sell AMD GPUs I hope Sapphire adopts thier model of reserve and notify

I have a EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra now. It's great. However, I'm close on the EVGA list to get the 3090 FTW3 Ultra. Maybe this week. The 3080 is plenty for what I do but I don't think I have the willpower to not instantly buy the 3090 when I receive the email. I'm running a LG GL950G-B monitor at 3840X1600 at 175 Hz. I usually buy every new series of nvidia card when they come out so I don't plan on keeping ether of them for more than a year or so. What do you guys think?

I have a EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra now. It's great. However, I'm close on the EVGA list to get the 3090 FTW3 Ultra. Maybe this week. The 3080 is plenty for what I do but I don't think I have the willpower to not instantly buy the 3090 when I receive the email. I'm running a LG GL950G-B monitor at 3840X1600 at 175 Hz. I usually buy every new series of nvidia card when they come out so I don't plan on keeping ether of them for more than a year or so. What do you guys think?
You'll be paying $1000+ more after tax for probably 5-10% more performance at that resolution.

You'll be paying $1000+ more after tax for probably 5-10% more performance at that resolution.
Oh, I'm perfectly clear on that part. Money is not really an issue, but these are the kind of comments I need to talk me out of it. Ha.

My budget would buy 3090 but I just can't simply make sense of the 10% bump in performance and don't need 24GB of ram. So I am leaning RDNA 2 here and 16GB should be enough. Don't care much about dlss or rt right now since my brain cant see the difference with RTX unless I take still picture and compare lol. May be one day.

I hope you all can some how utilize that ram because my mindset has long ran away from bragging rights and more about putting money away in investments. But if 3090 was more like 40-50% faster then 3080 then yea I probably would have gotten it.

Actually, I am wondering which one to choose ? ASUS Strix OC or EVGA FTW3 Ultra ... I think ASUS is a little better for less money.

Get the 3090 and sell the 3080 to a forum member for MSRP + shipping.

Get what you want and make someone else happy. 😁

Actually, I am wondering which one to choose ? ASUS Strix OC or EVGA FTW3 Ultra ... I think ASUS is a little better for less money.
ASUS STRIX will likely be the better card. EVGA FTW3 will be slightly worse but you get EVGA’s customer service which has always been top notch in my experience.

Get the 3090 and sell the 3080 to a forum member for MSRP + shipping.

Get what you want and make someone else happy. 😁
Not the guy you replied to, but I'm still trying to get a 3090 founders edition personally. If I can't get one by the end of december (end of my step up period for my 2060), I will step up to either a 3090 or 3080 20gb probably. If I can get a founders by then though, I think I'll step up to a 3070/3060Ti and sell it here if there is a shortage at that point.

Not the guy you replied to, but I'm still trying to get a 3090 founders edition personally. If I can't get one by the end of december (end of my step up period for my 2060), I will step up to either a 3090 or 3080 20gb probably. If I can get a founders by then though, I think I'll step up to a 3070/3060Ti and sell it here if there is a shortage at that point.
The Founder's does look beautiful, does it not? If I were staying on air, I'd have held out for one of those.

The Founder's does look beautiful, does it not? If I were staying on air, I'd have held out for one of those.
And not for nothing but 90% of the aib cards look like trash, that you have to pay $2-300 more for. The founders edition is the only card I would call classy.

I am so conflicted on what too do. Should I get a 3090? Should I settle for a 3080? Should I wait for big Navi or 20gb 3080? I could of had either or by now if I wasn't so conflicted. I randomly been dropping by MC to see if they got anything in stock. I would probably buy w/e I could get my hands on with no real Hassel tho.

I am so conflicted on what too do. Should I get a 3090? Should I settle for a 3080? Should I wait for big Navi or 20gb 3080? I could of had either or by now if I wasn't so conflicted. I randomly been dropping by MC to see if they got anything in stock. I would probably buy w/e I could get my hands on with no real Hassel tho.
I decided to go for the top. I'll be crying when they release an Ampere refresh in a year and the 3090 gets knocked off the throne, but this card drives my 1440UW to it's 144hz limit in nearly every game I play, which is exactly what I wanted.

I decided to go for the top. I'll be crying when they release an Ampere refresh in a year and the 3090 gets knocked off the throne, but this card drives my 1440UW to it's 144hz limit in nearly every game I play, which is exactly what I wanted.

The good thing about that card is that it's a pro-style card. There will be a market for re-selling those outside of gaming. It's obviously going to drop in value no matter what, but it comes with another audience that'll be interested it.

Where have you seen either in stock at this point!? hahaha

Where have you seen either in stock at this point!? hahaha
Microcenter has been a consistent source of pampers cards. If you really wanted on and had one near you there's a better chance of you having one now than everyone else.

I'm looking at either a 3090 Founders (preferred) or Asus Strix 3090 OC.

I'm leaning toward the Founders both due to significant price difference, that the Founder's cooler is gorgeous (though I will definitely watercool it), and I don't think under water the Asus would actually be any better even with the increased 480w power limit. These are unknowns tbh, since reviewers these days don't cover watercooled performance. I'm in no rush, happy to wait till at least Cyberpunk is out. I simply don't need it until then.

If I didn't think the 3090 would be first made look to like a bad purchase with a 3080ti release, and then superceded by a 7nm fall fat 'Xp' 3090 next year, I'd buy the most expensive 3090 I could. That and I just don't think the AIBs are worth it at all this time round.

Ordered right at launch, finally got word that my card is in the batch arriving at the retailer next week. actually a bit better than I was expecting

Yay I guess.

Yeah - first time playing my favorite game (ARK: Survival Evolved) for an extended duration last night - I can't say that I could really tell the difference (coming from 2080 Ti FE) despite the stats showing big FPS gains. :) Playing on an Alienware AW3418DW @ 3440x1440/120Hz. Common sense said get a 3080 - but I know it would bug me to not have the best. I willingly admit I'm that cliche. :)

Last edited:
Microcenter. I just can't get there early in the morning cause of work.
I've gone to my microcenter for the past week every morning here and they have not had any stock whatsoever. Sign on the door says sold out of 3080 and 3090! :( :(

Attachments

• sold out.jpg
    sold out.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 0
I've gone to my microcenter for the past week every morning here and they have not had any stock whatsoever. Sign on the door says sold out of 3080 and 3090! :( :(
Kind of a cool sign. Would be cool in a tech collection.

I will probably stay a couple of generations behind (probably 1080's or 2080's). Those were blooding edge devices.....awhile ago
:LOL:

Back