Who is buying a 3090?

Holy crap! Holy crap!

I think I managed to snag an RTX 3090 FE just now. Distill just about screwed me over too because it kept popping up new windows as I was trying to place an order. I frantically tried to turn it off in the middle of my order but it was still trying to pop up every 90 seconds.

I just got my e-mail confirmation that they are processing my order and my credit card is showing a pending charge from Nvidia.

Fingers crossed!
Congrats my dude! I was not at lucky this round. Hope you get your card soon!

Congrats my dude! I was not at lucky this round. Hope you get your card soon!
I just got a follow up e-mail confirming that payment was successful and my order was approved. Now just waiting on a ship date and tracking code!

Sweet! That means it may arrive in time to go into my new PC build that I am I trying to put the finishing touches on. I was hoping I didn't have to swap over my GTX 1080 FE over to it so that I could still have the older PC up and running in case I ran into issues.

Can someone tell me how to setup Distill properly? I mean, I installed the Chrome extension and turned on the Nvidia store page for the 3090 FE but how do we set it to track whether the 'out of stock' changes to 'add to cart?'

Can someone tell me how to setup Distill properly? I mean, I installed the Chrome extension and turned on the Nvidia store page for the 3090 FE but how do we set it to track whether the 'out of stock' changes to 'add to cart?'
In the hot deals forum there are several exports from people with trackers. You can just import them.

It doesn't really work that well for nVidia's site - earlier it just kept telling me the site said Add to Cart when it was always showing OOS.

That said, the basic gist of it is that you make Selections on the site for the elements you want it to track - usually the OOS button/text and the Cart/Notify button.

I just got a follow up e-mail confirming that payment was successful and my order was approved. Now just waiting on a ship date and tracking code!

Sweet! That means it may arrive in time to go into my new PC build that I am I trying to put the finishing touches on. I was hoping I didn't have to swap over my GTX 1080 FE over to it so that I could still have the older PC up and running in case I ran into issues.

Congrats! I hope you enjoy the card, sounds like the timing turned out to be perfect with your new build. It's nice hearing some good news through all this. Nice work using Distill. :D

I'll probably just wait until later in the year or early next to get a 3090. I'm hoping Nvidia might release a Titan class card after AMD drops their cards. There's room for a few more CUDA cores on the die. It wouldn't amount to much performance difference but it would at least be the full chip.

Looking at videos, it seems the cooler of this card is way too big and suited to a much larger TDP than what the 3090 puts out.

My theory is that Nvidia made it three-slot so that cheap but serious AI users can't stick it into a 1U case designed for blower style coolers, and have to upgrade to much more expensive Tesla cards.

This also explains the unconventional heatsink design, which for a 2-slot 3080 will overheat in a 1U case.

Congrats! I hope you enjoy the card, sounds like the timing turned out to be perfect with your new build. It's nice hearing some good news through all this. Nice work using Distill. :D

I'll probably just wait until later in the year or early next to get a 3090. I'm hoping Nvidia might release a Titan class card after AMD drops their cards. There's room for a few more CUDA cores on the die. It wouldn't amount to much performance difference but it would at least be the full chip.
Funny enough, it wasn’t the Distill check itself that caught it but it did give me clues that something was about to happen.

I was getting more and more false positives in the day that would keep showing up as out of stock by the time the page loaded. Then I saw that the status changed from “Out of Stock” on their other store page to “Check Availability”. I thought that was odd and wondered if maybe it meant stock was going to be available soon. So I started to do frequent manual refreshes and clicking on the “Check Availability” button. Eventually, it popped up in my cart.

But, as mentioned before, the Distill about ruined my checkout because it kept popping up new tabs during my checkout. I was afraid it was going to cause card to disappear from my cart.

It sure was a lot of luck that played a part.

Looking at videos, it seems the cooler of this card is way too big and suited to a much larger TDP than what the 3090 puts out.

My theory is that Nvidia made it three-slot so that cheap but serious AI users can't stick it into a 1U case designed for blower style coolers, and have to upgrade to much more expensive Tesla cards.

This also explains the unconventional heatsink design, which for a 2-slot 3080 will overheat in a 1U case.

Out of all the conspiracy theories I’ve heard regarding this launch, this one is by far the most... “Interesting.”

I just got an email stating mine has shipped. ETA is Sunday. By FedEx speak, that usually means Monday.

Here’s hoping they don’t deliver to the wrong house...again. I will be home, at least to act quickly. I watched them do that via my security camera to $500+ worth of Lego sets I ordered a few weeks ago, dropped it off at the house across the street. And the week before that they delivered a neighbor’s package to the wrong house too, leaving by a mailbox over 10 houses away from where it should be. Glad I live out in a rural area. No problems with UPS.

Holy crap! Holy crap!

I think I managed to snag an RTX 3090 FE just now. Distill just about screwed me over too because it kept popping up new windows as I was trying to place an order. I frantically tried to turn it off in the middle of my order but it was still trying to pop up every 90 seconds.

I just got my e-mail confirmation that they are processing my order and my credit card is showing a pending charge from Nvidia.

Fingers crossed!

from what retailer?

That's what I was wondering. But what is interesting is the Distill logs are showing that the "Out of Stock" message is changing to "Add To Cart". When I manually load the page, it sometimes takes a while for the indicator to finish popping up, but in the meantime it never shows "Add To Cart" during that wait (unless it is invisible).
The button starts off invisible with the text set to "Add To Cart". When it becomes visible, the text changes to "Out Of Stock". This causes false positives in Distill.

Feels like a panic launch? It couldn't be more obvious if the cards were in boxes labelled "Panic Launch Edition". Nvidia claimed they had been in production from August, that doesn't give much time for a lot of inventory. Plus they declined to say when in August, could have been the last 2 weeks for all we know.

They basically shat out a few cards in the space of a few weeks and called it a launch, something has them spooked, be it consoles or rdna2.

Its both,but my gut says its 95% the consoles.

I know retailers in Denmark that have shipped more than 50 cards...(Gigabyte 3080) so your are waaaaay off.

(They state they have same numbers of cards as wirth the 2000 series launch...but apparently it more fun to be whiney online)

But it is not suprising, just look at the new xbox and playstation...I just think some PC users are whiney muppets 🤷‍♂️

Here in Ottawa/Hull Canada area its the same thing,stores(Best Buy 3x/RBC Computing 2x/Canada Computes 5x locations) tell me they got the same amount of cards as the 2000 series launch,but the demand was 4x to 5x as last time,for in person sales.....online PURCHASES? I was told 7x to 10x over the last two NV launches because millions more are home and wanting entertainment as years past in North America,I do not think most here complaining understand the effect COVID lockdowns are having on shipping or the insane demand increase for electronic entertainment. 3x Store managers told me the line ups on the 17th were 5x times outside the stores, as it was for the 2000 or the 1000 series launches,easily. I know as I was in each,each time in 2018 and 2016. 30 to 50 people for the 1k or 2k series launch each.This time? Hundreds outside each store I went to, two on the 17th in Ottawa at 9am and 1030am respectively at the Merivale and Laurier locations.

Out of all the conspiracy theories I’ve heard regarding this launch, this one is by far the most... “Interesting.”

It's also original speculation from yours truly, and not something I read online. 🙂

It also explains (a) why the AIB cards all have much smaller coolers than the 3090 FE, while (b) still having larger coolers than the non-overclocked 2080ti cards.

It's also original speculation from yours truly, and not something I read online. 🙂

It also explains (a) why the AIB cards all have much smaller coolers than the 3090 FE, while (b) still having larger coolers than the non-overclocked 2080ti cards.

Not something I’d be bragging about but you do you.

Anyone looking for cards in the GMA, found two listed for only about a grand over MSRP
Screenshot_20201003-134656_Kijiji.jpg

Screenshot_20201003-134704_Kijiji.jpg

Watchdogs must be great if it's worth 800$

It ain't worth it for 10-15% better performance tbh. But more power to you if you can get your hands on one. Let me know when you hook up an 8k display to it and we'll know you seriously want to leverage ALL of its power. :)

I picked up a 3090 card yesterday. I passed by the computer store to get an hdmi 2.1 cable 8ft long as I rearranged my desk and saw the 3090 on the shelf. Next year's budget is an LG TV for 4K 120

I picked up a 3090 card yesterday. I passed by the computer store to get an hdmi 2.1 cable 8ft long as I rearranged my desk and saw the 3090 on the shelf. Next year's budget is an LG TV for 4K 120
What store? At this point, the bragging right for having a 3090 isn't even its performance, it's the fact that you were actually ninja enough to get your hands on one.

Not something I’d be bragging about but you do you.

That I actually thought about what factors might explain Nvidia's choice to overcool the 3090, rather than simply repeating something written by someone else online?

It ain't worth it for 10-15% better performance tbh. But more power to you if you can get your hands on one. Let me know when you hook up an 8k display to it and we'll know you seriously want to leverage ALL of its power. :)

Depends on your use case. If you're using them to train deep neural networks, the bump from 10gb to 24gb RAM is huge - you can fit significantly larger models on one card, and on one machine with multiple cards.

I had many ai ninja minions in DGX, Tesla and 2080 cards working day and night to find this card...20201005_231232.jpg

Last edited:
PXL_20201007_020317405.jpg
Here is mine wound up with a FE model. I would have much preferred an EVGA FTW3 or other with a reference board considering I will be water cooling eventually. I will be pairing this with in my X570 Taichi my recently acquired 3900X, 32GB RAM, Fractal Define 7 case and my EK custom loop two 360mm rads one PE and the other XE EKWB velocity CPU block and EKWB pump res combo of course all RGB 😉

Edit: Now to find an sleeved extension cable.

Last edited:
Ight fellas, just been testing an ASUS RTX 3090 OC for about an hour now and the results are friggin ridiculous at the moment. I took some test renders with my old GPU, an antiquated piece of shit GTX 970, and compared the results to the 3090.

For clarity guys, my rig is pretty dated, using a overclocked 4930k at 4.2Ghz on an ASUS Sabertooth x79, so there's a significant bottleneck going on, I'd say around 15-18% by the looks of it, but hey it is what it is with my broke ass. With that said the results are pretty remarkable so far. Here are two tests I've done using the public demo files on Chaosgroup, the Canon Sampling Scene and the Teapot. The system settings on each file are to the defaults, the only change I've done is set it to GPU only with RTX enabled.

Needless to say, I can tell this generation of GPU's are a beast when it comes to rendering, and having that 24gb of VRAM is such a treat. Thank you tech Jesus.
delete 1.jpg
delete 2.jpg

Ugh...still waiting for my RTX 3090 FE that was ordered last week. It checked into a Fed Ex sorting facility late Thursday, early Friday of last week and hasn’t been seen since. It was supposed to be delivered by Monday.

I’ve got tickets open with both Fed Ex and Nvidia trying to track it down but coming up with nothing so far. I have to wait until at least next Monday with no new updates before Fed Ex says that I should contact the seller and request a replacement.

So frustrating...

I was dead set on a RTX 3080...but I have an ASUS RTX 3090 TUF OC sitting right next to me instead for some reason. Waiting for a waterblock to come in for it in the next couple of weeks before slotting it in. Gives me time to rethink my decision.

Ight fellas, just been testing an ASUS RTX 3090 OC for about an hour now and the results are friggin ridiculous at the moment. I took some test renders with my old GPU, an antiquated piece of shit GTX 970, and compared the results to the 3090.

For clarity guys, my rig is pretty dated, using a overclocked 4930k at 4.2Ghz on an ASUS Sabertooth x79, so there's a significant bottleneck going on, I'd say around 15-18% by the looks of it, but hey it is what it is with my broke ass. With that said the results are pretty remarkable so far. Here are two tests I've done using the public demo files on Chaosgroup, the Canon Sampling Scene and the Teapot. The system settings on each file are to the defaults, the only change I've done is set it to GPU only with RTX enabled.

Needless to say, I can tell this generation of GPU's are a beast when it comes to rendering, and having that 24gb of VRAM is such a treat. Thank you tech Jesus.

Pretty damn good.

Depends on your use case. If you're using them to train deep neural networks, the bump from 10gb to 24gb RAM is huge - you can fit significantly larger models on one card, and on one machine with multiple cards.
Fair. But I would be curious to see what % of their sales are to those users, vs just gamers with disposable income, lol.

Fair. But I would be curious to see what % of their sales are to those users, vs just gamers with disposable income, lol.
I would be using it for much more than gaming if I could get one.

I'm going to try and wait for an EVGA Hydro Copper 3080, probably FTW3 model. Normally I go with the highest end cards, but I think the premium is too much for the performance difference. I only game, however. No rendering or AI use cases.

Just curious, what are you rendering 24/7?
Well in octane render i have hired a 3d pro to create a few projects with light saber and cars and with food and now i will able to move settings around on a small scale to see how they effect the image. He is getting out of it tho so he is giving me almost all of his personal projects as well that he has done over the years. Its more for me to learn from so when you have a file that takes hours to render on a 2080 super and just change 1 setting just a little bit to see the effect change and do that over and over the time just goes to the moon. But 3dbonfire on youtube has alot of good particle animation tut so i will be rendering those. True i can render all these files at lower res but i want them at 8k resolution so i can better see whats going on. I use a 65 inch tv as a monitor.

Back