Who is buying a 3090?

Im 39yo and while that is not really old it is old enough that I have learned to inform once, give advice once, challenge one time, and move on. You should let him live with his folly and move on.
I am. I won't lose sleep over this.

I would buy one but my main system is power hungry as it is. I have to keep feeding it food and give it adequate cooling with proper housing. Plus my main system is a beast anyways: way over 4k @500fps+. The 3090 can't touch it.

Yes. Yes it is. I tried to convince him that upgrading to a 10900K/3900X and a 3080 made worlds more sense. He wouldn't hear it because he "did the research" and found that his 8350 would be more than enough. Plus he would have to give up his Creative X-Fi PCI card.

Jeez.... I know my 980ti was massively bottled necked by the Athlon X4 860k (FM2+) cpu when I was running that config for a short time (it was sad times.... )

I couldn't imagine that FX cpu being "more than enough" for a 1080 ti. Never mind a better gpu....

I wonder what his use case is that an FX 8350 paired with a RTX 3090 is a fine setup instead of being a massive bottleneck... (I can only think of 8K minesweeper but im probably not thinking outside the box.)

inform once, give advice once, challenge one time, and move on

Thats’s one of the smartest things I’ve ever read on here tbh.

Words to live by. Literally added it to my list of quotes.

One I often say at work is “we don’t have to agree, consensus is preferred but not required”

Some people really, really struggle with that.

Got my EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA on Friday need one more.

3090 10.png

I tried to get one.

I checked out at evga.com. It looked like it went through.
I never got an order confirmation.
It shows 1 open order, but when clicked says no orders available.
They took my money from my bank account.
EVGA's accounting team confirms they took my money.

Latest email:

Thanks for the reply so I just checked the list that we have created so we can confirm that the payment went through, so at this current, we are trying to create that order and once we get more further information we can contact you with more information.
I tried to get one.

I checked out at evga.com. It looked like it went through.
I never got an order confirmation.
It shows 1 open order, but when clicked says no orders available.
They took my money from my bank account.
EVGA's accounting team confirms they took my money.

Latest email:

Thanks for the reply so I just checked the list that we have created so we can confirm that the payment went through, so at this current, we are trying to create that order and once we get more further information we can contact you with more information.

Just an update to this since I don't want to drag them through the mud since I am relatively confident in EVGA's customer service to sort it out.

Emails back from evga yesterday. It sounds like i will get a card... but they are trying to figure out how to recreate/debug what happened. The money is now 100% missing from my account, and evga has been paid for a 3090 for delivery to have occurred yesterday. It sounds like it happened to other people as well, and we may be a bit at the mercy of when they themselves receive more cards before they can back-fill this mess.

"Sorry for the wait, so we just got some news that we are still investigating with the issue for your order. But we should have some resolution by Monday, once we have confirmation for your order. EVGA will contact you with further information about your order. I apologize for the inconvenience and I do thank you for your wait."

" Thanks for the reply sorry about that. So we do have your payment for the order, but the order hasn' been created that were we trying to see how did that happen. I would expect we should be able to send out the video card at least once we fixed the issues for the order. I am sorry for the delay. "

"Thank you for your response. Right now, we have to create those orders manually and need to get inventory to help fulfill those orders so this may take time. We will reach out to you and the others that went through this issue once we are able to ship out these orders. "

Just an update to this since I don't want to drag them through the mud since I am relatively confident in EVGA's customer service to sort it out.

Emails back from evga yesterday. It sounds like i will get a card... but they are trying to figure out how to recreate/debug what happened. The money is now 100% missing from my account, and evga has been paid for a 3090 for delivery to have occurred yesterday. It sounds like it happened to other people as well, and we may be a bit at the mercy of when they themselves receive more cards before they can back-fill this mess.

"Sorry for the wait, so we just got some news that we are still investigating with the issue for your order. But we should have some resolution by Monday, once we have confirmation for your order. EVGA will contact you with further information about your order. I apologize for the inconvenience and I do thank you for your wait."

" Thanks for the reply sorry about that. So we do have your payment for the order, but the order hasn' been created that were we trying to see how did that happen. I would expect we should be able to send out the video card at least once we fixed the issues for the order. I am sorry for the delay. "

"Thank you for your response. Right now, we have to create those orders manually and need to get inventory to help fulfill those orders so this may take time. We will reach out to you and the others that went through this issue once we are able to ship out these orders. "
Crazy!

I mean, I was mashing the Confirm Order button at the very end of my 70 minute oddessy there for a solid 5 minutes trying to get it to take. I'm a bit surprised that the three different methods of payment that I tried during that 70 minutes didn't all get charged with how many times EVGA's webstore was sent that info.

Jeez.... I know my 980ti was massively bottled necked by the Athlon X4 860k (FM2+) cpu when I was running that config for a short time (it was sad times.... )

I couldn't imagine that FX cpu being "more than enough" for a 1080 ti. Never mind a better gpu....

I wonder what his use case is that an FX 8350 paired with a RTX 3090 is a fine setup instead of being a massive bottleneck... (I can only think of 8K minesweeper but im probably not thinking outside the box.)

He plays mostly AAA titles. Like I said, I tried to preach the "upgrade everything else first" doctrine, but he wasn't hearing the gospel of stepping down to a 3080 and a badly needed platform update. At first it was just the 3080. But no, that's not good enough for his AMD FX in 2020. :rolleyes:

I might have to change thread title to

Screw nV whos buying 6900xt
Why screw Nvidia? Do you think that they're like... not producing cards, or something? They certainly could have delayed the launch by a month or two to build stock, but I'm willing to bet their manufacturing efforts are 110% right now.

Crazy!

I mean, I was mashing the Confirm Order button at the very end of my 70 minute oddessy there for a solid 5 minutes trying to get it to take. I'm a bit surprised that the three different methods of payment that I tried during that 70 minutes didn't all get charged with how many times EVGA's webstore was sent that info.

I got a call from EVGA today with them apologizing to me about the whole thing, and to let me know that they shipped out the card today, and it will be arriving tomorrow.

Their website may have sucked, but their support never does.

I ended up buying a new monitor so now it doesn't matter whether I go AMD or NV. So let's go AMD, show me what you got!

I ended up buying a new monitor so now it doesn't matter whether I go AMD or NV. So let's go AMD, show me what you got!

Yeah I am on the hook for a Samsung 1440p 240 hz wide curved VA right now just not sure. I def think I want to get a FreeSync 2 display in anticipation of 6900xt. But I hear that Gsync now works on AMD cards, can anyone confirm?

I cant seem to get my Gsync to work with my temporary 5600xt right now. Is that because I am using an older Gsync module in my Acer Predator 240hz TN panel?

I stumbled into a PNY 3090 being available so since the wife originally wanted a 3090 she gets it versus settling on a 3080.

Yeah I am on the hook for a Samsung 1440p 240 hz wide curved VA right now just not sure. I def think I want to get a FreeSync 2 display in anticipation of 6900xt. But I hear that Gsync now works on AMD cards, can anyone confirm?

I cant seem to get my Gsync to work with my temporary 5600xt right now. Is that because I am using an older Gsync module in my Acer Predator 240hz TN panel?
Unless I missed it, I think you may have that backwards - some Freesync panels will now work with Nvidia cards, but I don't think it works the other way round.

Unless I missed it, I think you may have that backwards - some Freesync panels will now work with Nvidia cards, but I don't think it works the other way round.

It depends what type of Gsync panel it is. If its Gsync compatible, it just means its fressync and fine. If it actually uses real Gsync, and doesnt support freesync too, it doesn't.

So I was toying around with numbers since some (or many) think the RTX 3090 is overpriced compared to the RTX 3080 when it comes to gaming performance. I tried to see if there was any logic that could be put towards the price discrepancy beyond just performance percentage. This is what I came up with when comparing the FE flavors of each:
RTX 3080 10GB is ~$700
RTX 3090 24GB is ~$1500

The RTX 3090 has 14GB more RAM, roughly 20.6% more cores, 20% larger memory bus, more power phases, and a larger heatsink/fan setup. Regardless of how much or little performance that may give, it all attributes to cost. Recent discussions have been going on about the potential cost of the 20GB version of the RTX 3080. My guess, ballparking, is that the extra 10GB is going to run around $250-$300 more. It could be more, but I don't think it will be less than that. So we will consider that the conservative guesstimate assuming no other enhancements are made to the card (memory bus, clock speed, core count, etc.). If we were to break that down to cost per GB, that would be around $25-$30 per GB. With the RTX 3090 having 14GB more RAM than the RTX 3080, that would be a potential cost increase of $350-$420 in just RAM alone. Now let us sit that aside for now.

Core count. If we start with the base cost of the RTX 3080 10GB and increase its base cost just by the percentage increase in core count, that would be a cost increase of roughly $144.

If we add the numbers together that we have so far, we come to around $1,194 to $1,264. This is around $236-$306 less than the current asking price for an RTX 3090 FE. Of course, we haven't even touched on the added costs of the beefier heatsink, larger fans, added power phases, or even the increased memory bus size (though some may figure that is already rolled into the cost of the increase core count. If we try to account for those as well, I would guess that would probably put us within $100-$150 of the current asking price of the RTX 3090 FE. This would, to me, then seem that the more appropriate price of the RTX 3090 when compared to the RTX 3080 10GB would be closer to the $1400 mark, possibly a little bit less. But since marketing loves round numbers and they almost never round down, slap on the typical "new release premium", and here we are at $1500. Whether it is still considered a fair price is up to those that choose to pay it or not to acquire one.

Again, this isn't factoring performance (both gaming as well as productivity), it's purely on specifications and using speculative cost guesstimating. Why? Because I am still patiently waiting to get my hands on either one of these or a 3080. So time that would have otherwise been spent playing with one is instead used to play with numbers in a scenario of a bunch of what-ifs.

So I was toying around with numbers since some (or many) think the RTX 3090 is overpriced compared to the RTX 3080 when it comes to gaming performance. I tried to see if there was any logic that could be put towards the price discrepancy beyond just performance percentage. This is what I came up with when comparing the FE flavors of each:
RTX 3080 10GB is ~$700
RTX 3090 24GB is ~$1500

The RTX 3090 has 14GB more RAM, roughly 20.6% more cores, 20% larger memory bus, more power phases, and a larger heatsink/fan setup. Regardless of how much or little performance that may give, it all attributes to cost. Recent discussions have been going on about the potential cost of the 20GB version of the RTX 3080. My guess, ballparking, is that the extra 10GB is going to run around $250-$300 more. It could be more, but I don't think it will be less than that. So we will consider that the conservative guesstimate assuming no other enhancements are made to the card (memory bus, clock speed, core count, etc.). If we were to break that down to cost per GB, that would be around $25-$30 per GB. With the RTX 3090 having 14GB more RAM than the RTX 3080, that would be a potential cost increase of $350-$420 in just RAM alone. Now let us sit that aside for now.

Core count. If we start with the base cost of the RTX 3080 10GB and increase its base cost just by the percentage increase in core count, that would be a cost increase of roughly $144.

If we add the numbers together that we have so far, we come to around $1,194 to $1,264. This is around $236-$306 less than the current asking price for an RTX 3090 FE. Of course, we haven't even touched on the added costs of the beefier heatsink, larger fans, added power phases, or even the increased memory bus size (though some may figure that is already rolled into the cost of the increase core count. If we try to account for those as well, I would guess that would probably put us within $100-$150 of the current asking price of the RTX 3090 FE. This would, to me, then seem that the more appropriate price of the RTX 3090 when compared to the RTX 3080 10GB would be closer to the $1400 mark, possibly a little bit less. But since marketing loves round numbers and they almost never round down, slap on the typical "new release premium", and here we are at $1500. Whether it is still considered a fair price is up to those that choose to pay it or not to acquire one.

Again, this isn't factoring performance (both gaming as well as productivity), it's purely on specifications and using speculative cost guesstimating. Why? Because I am still patiently waiting to get my hands on either one of these or a 3080. So time that would have otherwise been spent playing with one is instead used to play with numbers in a scenario of a bunch of what-ifs.
My NIS alerts are set for both, but honestly I'm not likely to buy a 3080.

I've noticed in myself a stupid trend of buying at the price/performance pinnacle, then eventually seeing that "next best thing" and succumbing to the upgrade itch, sometimes more than once in a generation. This time around, I'm just gonna shoot straight for the top and save myself the hassle of the incremental upgrades.

My NIS alerts are set for both, but honestly I'm not likely to buy a 3080.

I've noticed in myself a stupid trend of buying at the price/performance pinnacle, then eventually seeing that "next best thing" and succumbing to the upgrade itch, sometimes more than once in a generation. This time around, I'm just gonna shoot straight for the top and save myself the hassle of the incremental upgrades.
While the performance jump between the 3080 and the 3090 at the moment may not seem large enough to justify the price for some, for me I am trying to look at the bigger picture and there are some things about the RTX 3090 FE that I like better, even though it may be overkill.

I want more RAM since I play in 4K and I would like to go for as long as I did with my GTX 1080 before upgrading again. 10GB may be enough now and for the near future, but I am concerned it may be strained midway in the lifecycle of my PC. I agree that 24GB is overkill for most of my needs right now. If a 20GB version of the 3080 comes out before I can get my hands on a 3090, then I may strongly consider that one. The larger core count is another factor, but not as big to me seeing what the current performance difference is. But driver optimizations could change that. And based on Nvidia's previous trends, if the 3090 is the new Titan, then expecting anything in the next year to come out that will be faster is slim unless they throw a curveball and do some major optimizations or go to TSMC 7nm.

One of the real nice things about the 3090 FE that makes it tempting that most others don't seem to talk much about is the beefier power phase setup (albeit, it may be minor) and the much better cooling setup. Sure, the card is a beast in size (it will just fit in my case), but testing has shown the card to be quite a contender when it comes to cooling and noise. I do plan to go to a water block on the card at some point, but it may still be 6-12 months out before that even happens. Meanwhile, having a card that can keep itself cool and quiet in stock form is a huge temptation. My current hair dryer GTX 1080 FE can be quite noisy and makes the back area of the case very hot to the touch (especially when playing RDR2). The Asus models are also excellent in cooling (both the 3080 and 3090) but they are even larger in size and also have a price tag premium to go with it. If I am planning to go water cooling on the GPU at some point, I would rather take that added premium cost and apply it to a water block, which will also free up room back in the case too see that the FE boards are shorter in length and the water block will give back some room vertically in the case.

Nope, but he lives in the desert. Perhaps the sun cooked his brain a little?

Yes. Yes it is. I tried to convince him that upgrading to a 10900K/3900X and a 3080 made worlds more sense. He wouldn't hear it because he "did the research" and found that his 8350 would be more than enough. Plus he would have to give up his Creative X-Fi PCI card.

Someone did a review of that combination. It was hilarious.

I am basically with VirtualMirage on this one, if I can get a 3080 w/ 20GB hybrid I'll get that if the cost is significantly less, but if a 3090 hybrid is available to me sooner, I'll be getting that since I was planning on getting a 3090 anyway. I don't see any possibility of the 3080 w/20GB being less than $1000 (ok technically $999 or $999.98 is less than $1000 but to me that's equivalent in this case). IMHO the most likely price point of the 3080 w/20GB is $1100 - $1200 since that gap exists. I know people like to speculate about a Ti version, but IF one comes out they are just going to shift everything below it down a notch when it takes it's place at the $1200 mark.

So that would be about 50 cards?

I know retailers in Denmark that have shipped more than 50 cards...(Gigabyte 3080) so your are waaaaay off.

(They state they have same numbers of cards as wirth the 2000 series launch...but apparently it more fun to be whiney online)

But it is not suprising, just look at the new xbox and playstation...I just think some PC users are whiney muppets 🤷‍♂️

I know retailers in Denmark that have shipped more than 50 cards...(Gigabyte 3080) so your are waaaaay off.

(They state they have same numbers of cards as wirth the 2000 series launch...but apparently it more fun to be whiney online)

But it is not suprising, just look at the new xbox and playstation...I just think some PC users are whiney muppets 🤷‍♂️
No doubt they are. Nerd rage is some of the worst.

Just setup Distill last night just to keep an eye out for a 3090 FE. 60-90 second checks on Nvidia's site (I don't want to spam their site or risk getting IP banned), set to pop up a browser tab to the site if out of stock changes to add to cart. With this being on my home PC and me teleworking right next to it, I can keep an eye on it all day and respond quickly if it alerts. So far, it has triggered an alert as "add to cart" 4 times since 12:30am. Yet every time the site comes up, out of stock. Not sure if they are false positives, Nvidia mocking me, or if they are really going that fast. Am I doing something wrong here?

I'm tempted to set one up for the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, it is shorter than the FE by 13mm, but I was hoping to eventually put a water block on the FE, which would make it quite a bit shorter once done. But with the cost of the FTW3, I would need to decide then if I ever plan to water cool it. Plus, I haven't seen anything yet about its noise and temp profiles to compare.

Just setup Distill last night just to keep an eye out for a 3090 FE. 60-90 second checks on Nvidia's site (I don't want to spam their site or risk getting IP banned), set to pop up a browser tab to the site if out of stock changes to add to cart. With this being on my home PC and me teleworking right next to it, I can keep an eye on it all day and respond quickly if it alerts. So far, it has triggered an alert as "add to cart" 4 times since 12:30am. Yet every time the site comes up, out of stock. Not sure if they are false positives, Nvidia mocking me, or if they are really going that fast. Am I doing something wrong here?

I'm tempted to set one up for the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra, it is shorter than the FE by 13mm, but I was hoping to eventually put a water block on the FE, which would make it quite a bit shorter once done. But with the cost of the FTW3, I would need to decide then if I ever plan to water cool it. Plus, I haven't seen anything yet about its noise and temp profiles to compare.
They’re false positives. Sometimes the Out of Stock button takes a long time to appear or just doesn’t appear which sets off Distill. I believe you can manually set how long the delay is before Distill scans the webpage to allow for the button to appear but I think you have to directly change it in Distill’s code.

They’re false positives. Sometimes the Out of Stock button takes a long time to appear or just doesn’t appear which sets off Distill. I believe you can manually set how long the delay is before Distill scans the webpage to allow for the button to appear but I think you have to directly change it in Distill’s code.
That's what I was wondering. But what is interesting is the Distill logs are showing that the "Out of Stock" message is changing to "Add To Cart". When I manually load the page, it sometimes takes a while for the indicator to finish popping up, but in the meantime it never shows "Add To Cart" during that wait (unless it is invisible).

I am in no rush but i want to stuff that 3090 blower into a Dan A4 take it with me offshore and let that bitch render 24/7 for the 28 days I am out and do that each time i go out. I can also let that bitch rock outside the house under the house port and never have to deal with heat and will be un effected by rain also. Tho I would bring it in if it rains.

Just curious, what are you rendering 24/7?

Holy crap! Holy crap!

I think I managed to snag an RTX 3090 FE just now. Distill just about screwed me over too because it kept popping up new windows as I was trying to place an order. I frantically tried to turn it off in the middle of my order but it was still trying to pop up every 90 seconds.

I just got my e-mail confirmation that they are processing my order and my credit card is showing a pending charge from Nvidia.

Fingers crossed!

Back