Who is buying a 3090?

MIcrocenter Dallas is showing a handful of inventory but in store only. I assume these didn't leap off the shelf as fast as 3080 because x2 the cost.

MIcrocenter Dallas is showing a handful of inventory but in store only. I assume these didn't leap off the shelf as fast as 3080 because x2 the cost.

Some Microcenters handed out purchase tickets yesterday, so that you didn't need to spend 24+ hours in line. I'd assume if that was the case, a person with one of those slips wouldn't necessarily be buying at store opening.

Quick sold out was predictable given that warehouses have only capacity for a few of these ;)

Got to BB at 9 with nobody in line. Waited till they opened, went inside and they had no 3000 series. She then checked her phone and said none in stock anywhere in Memphis. She also said last week there were none also.
1st time in my life I was 1st in line.
I gave it all I had. Havent been to bed, good nite

Got to BB at 9 with nobody in line. Waited till they opened, went inside and they had no 3000 series. She then checked her phone and said none in stock anywhere in Memphis. She also said last week there were none also.
1st time in my life I was 1st in line.
I gave it all I had. Havent been to bed, good nite

I checked with a Bestbuy inventory tracker, and none of my local bestbuys had any 3080 on launch day even prior to the store opening or 3090.

I figured that might be the case. I'm actually surprised it's not a bit more but understand you don't always get perfect scaling either. A couple percent slower core clock plus imperfect scaling. I imagine some work loads will be closer to 20% (blender is a good example) and plenty of games are going to be < 10%. Either way, kind of disappointing for the amount extra they want for it. It also doesn't leave much room for a ti/super version... half split the 3080 and 3090 and a ti/super would only be 5% give or take... outside of increased memory, I don't see them being able to do much of a refresh without pissing of a lot of people who spend that much on a 3090, lol.

Well, as someone who has bought Titans in the past, it doesn't upset me. I know the score each time i do it. If I buy a Titan now, the Ti variant will come later and offer basically the same gaming performance (or slightly more) for less money. However, that's usually months away. Meanwhile, I've been enjoying the best performance money can buy from day one. I just chalk it up to the usual early adopter tax. I never felt cheated on my Maxwell Titans. Those two in SLI ran fantastic for years. They continue to serve my girlfriend's gaming rig well to this day.

Titans costing nearly double what their GeForce Ti counterparts do isn't unusual. However, there is usually a larger performance gap between them. So, this one seems like it isn't a great deal even by Titan standards. That is, unless you want it for its compute performance. Then it's offering considerably more than the RTX Titan did at half the cost.

As I posted in another thread local MC had 16 3090s where they only had 12 3080s.

Eh I tried but by the time I got there there were already 25+ in line, so I turned around and came back home.
Now that I've seen more numbers I'll probably just go for a 3080 and buy a 4k monitor with the difference.

I woke up to drive to Microcenter....

Thought about it for 2 mins and went back to sleep.

Fuck nVidia im all in for a 6900xt. Show us how its done AMD.

I'd vote with my feet if I could avoid CUDA, I'm almost tempted to just get an AMD card as well and have a completely seperate work machine (or be an anarchist and put them in the same one) and just be a pointless rebel to support AMD (more than my shares do already).Oh no, you rebelling by spending more money.

i'm not angry, I'm just dissapointed. It's just lame behaviour to try and manipulate the consumers and the market. All they had to say was "luck COVID was shit, shipping is hard, we were slow off the mark with samsung, we figured put it out when we can and we'll try and get stock". I get they have to compete but it loses them a lot of good will which has a value. I'm just getting major 480 GTX vibes out of this. Overpriced, overheating, understocked. Exactly the same sort of vibe, with a unique eau de 2020

I'll be peeved if MLID guy is completely right as he riles me but it would be funny if all the boats arrive with the NV cards in late October and nvidia get the market demand rug pulled by AMD at month end.

Ah idle day dreams (even though I think AMD will be back in it, I suspect they'll have the same problem)

Got a RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra from EVGA.

evga 3090.jpg

I suspect their stock level is not going to be much better, and we'll still be dealing with bots.

I didn't even try. Didn't want to get my hopes up after the L I received trying to get the 3080. Hoping for those that actually needed them, got them today.

Reactions: Vader
like this
If you're buying this just for gaming you're either A. a moron, or B. Have so much money you don't care.

It's not gonna be just the hardware that saves AMD, it's gotta be a lot better driver set as well....else they lose my consideration. I'm hoping....but it hasn't been rainbows and unicorns on the GPU front for AMD.

It's not gonna be just the hardware that saves AMD, it's gotta be a lot better driver set as well....else they lose my consideration. I'm hoping....but it hasn't been rainbows and unicorns on the GPU front for AMD.

I'm hoping it'll be better this time due to RDNA being the first major overhaul, we'll see though. I had a great time with my 5700, but I bought it a few months after launch. I'm hoping the 6700 or 6700 xt will atleast match console performance and not cost a fortune.

FE or bust!

I just noticed the BB website says

Release Date:10/28/2020

LETS DO THIS AGAIN!!

explains why coming soon never changed on the FE cards.

Last edited:
FE or bust!

I just noticed the BB website says

Release Date:10/28/2020

LETS DO THIS AGAIN!!

explains why coming soon never changed on the FE cards.

Thats the launch date of RDNA 2 as well.. almost like this is strategy and not convenience nV is doing here.

I have no use for over 10gb vram, even going above 7 is kinda pointless for lots of what I do. As such, the 3090's 10-15% performance boost over the the 3080 does not at all warrant being over double the price, in my use case.

Reactions: Vader
like this
Beep boop. BEEP! I'm an EVGA bot who got a 3090 FTW3 Ultra.

Just kidding, I did it the old fashioned way and managed to finally finish checking out and getting a confirmation after over an hour of crashes this morning on EVGA's website.

I sincerely hope there's more stock for the 3070 when that drops. By then we might know more about AMD's offerings.

I sincerely hope there's more stock for the 3070 when that drops. By then we might know more about AMD's offerings.

Hahahahahahaha.. Thats a good one. Its going to be the same shit show, if not more since the 3070 will likely sell more than the 3080. I doubt we will see a single thing change.

2.14x the price

14 GiB more ram

So ..... whos going to get one?

so is this card a total flop because of its price?

It won't be a flop, not at all. The Titan RTX was essentially the 2080ti at 3X the price, an still they sold it very well. You judge the GPU market from the point of view of a gamer, while GPUs are quite indispensable computing devices.
Compared to the Titan RTX, The 3090 has the same amount of vram, twice the performance, and it costs 1000$ *less*. The 3090 is a gift from heaven for those who do deep learning.

And indeed I didn't succeed in trying to buy one... We have arrived to a point where we have to crawl and kiss their asses if we manage to buy a gpu for 1500$ from them.

Nvidia stocks went for 13$ in 2014. Today they are worth 500$ each. Do you really think it's on account of gaming? No, the market is seeing a pervasive AI revolution, with Nvidia being the absolute monopolist. And the more their market capitalization grows, the more they can invest in developing better and better chips.
For such a de facto monopoly, we have to thank those cretins at AMD, who for over a decade declared they were not interested in allowing their video cards to be used for general computation. Now they look at Nvidia stocks, and they launch ROCm, a mess no one understands and no one wants to get involved in. So, finally, they understand.
Nvidia is now what intel was at the end of the 70s.

Last edited:
It’s kind of crappy people are review bombing individual cards due to availability.

But yeah - bestbuy seems over run with bots even for the 3090. I can’t even get a card in my cart and that’s like 10% of the purchase time... for a human...

It won't be a flop, not at all. The Titan RTX was essentially the 2080ti at 3X the price, an still they sold it very well. You judge the GPU market from the point of view of a gamer, while GPUs are quite indispensable computing devices.
Compared to the Titan RTX, The 3090 has the same amount of vram, twice the performance, and it costs 1000$ *less*. The 3090 is a gift from heaven for those who do deep learning.

And indeed I didn't succeed in trying to buy one... We have arrived to a point where we have to crawl and kiss their asses if we manage to buy a gpu for 1500$ from them.

Nvidia stocks went for 13$ in 2014. Today they are worth 500$ each. Do you really think it's on account of gaming? No, the market is seeing a pervasive AI revolution, with Nvidia being the absolute monopolist. And the more their market capitalization grows, the more they can invest in developing better and better chips.
For such a de facto monopoly, we have to thank those cretins at AMD, who for over a decade declared they were not interested in allowing their video cards to be used for general computation. Now they look at Nvidia stocks, and they launch ROCm, a mess no one understands and no one wants to get involved in. So, finally, they understand.
Nvidia is now what intel was at the end of the 70s.

You made A LOT of assumptions about me and what I know in your reply.

IMHO the 3090 is more for people who want workstations to train large deep neural networks, not for gaming.

For those working in areas like computer vision, or especially natural language processing, the ability to have a network twice as big on one device is going to be a godsend, especially at this price point. One can easily burn through more than the cost of this card in Google Cloud credits in a matter of months.

Well, as someone who has bought Titans in the past, it doesn't upset me. I know the score each time i do it. If I buy a Titan now, the Ti variant will come later and offer basically the same gaming performance (or slightly more) for less money. However, that's usually months away. Meanwhile, I've been enjoying the best performance money can buy from day one. I just chalk it up to the usual early adopter tax. I never felt cheated on my Maxwell Titans. Those two in SLI ran fantastic for years. They continue to serve my girlfriend's gaming rig well to this day.

Titans costing nearly double what their GeForce Ti counterparts do isn't unusual. However, there is usually a larger performance gap between them. So, this one seems like it isn't a great deal even by Titan standards. That is, unless you want it for its compute performance. Then it's offering considerably more than the RTX Titan did at half the cost.

Let me put it to you this way. I've been comparing my shunt modded RTX Titan in sig that pulls 450w against a guys 550w shunted water 3090 scores. His card in gaming is only 16% faster than mine. Best card to best card; generation to generation, a measly SIXTEEN PERCENT faster.

If you count top overclocked cards, Turing performance increase was almost twice as fast over Pascal than Ampere is over Turing. And Turing was NOTHING to write home about. Ampere is pathetic.

Hahahahahahaha.. Thats a good one. Its going to be the same shit show, if not more since the 3070 will likely sell more than the 3080. I doubt we will see a single thing change.
It’s possible it won’t be since it’s on a different die than the 3080/3090. Also it uses gddr6 so who knows. 3070 might not have the same in stock issues

Let me put it to you this way. I've been comparing my shunt modded RTX Titan in sig that pulls 450w against a guys 550w shunted water 3090 scores. His card in gaming is only 16% faster than mine. Best card to best card; generation to generation, a measly SIXTEEN PERCENT faster.

If you count top overclocked cards, Turing performance increase was almost twice as fast over Pascal than Ampere is over Turing. And Turing was NOTHING to write home about. Ampere is pathetic.
Oh man, you are so right - a $1500 non-Titan Ampere card is ONLY 16% faster than a $2500 Titan Turing.

Ampere truly is the failure of the decade.

It’s possible it won’t be since it’s on a different die than the 3080/3090. Also it uses gddr6 so who knows. 3070 might not have the same in stock issues

demand will also be a lot higher due to the lower price point, they would need like at least 10x the inventory they had for 3080 and even then they might still sell out in seconds

That why its exciting to see what rdna2 can do.

Im not even excited to see it vs nV. I just want to see how AMD rdna2 vs AMD rdna1 fares.

Back