Who is accessing the file?

theDreamer

2[H]4U
We are having a small problem in my office where people are accessing the same file, and then because they cannot save it (already in use by another use) they just save a new copy. I have spoken to my IT department and they stated they do not want any third party software on the server, but if I can find something they might look into it.

We have a basic data server (everything else is in the UK), I believe it is running Windows server 2003. If there is something that can be ran locally on machines to let people know that a user has this file open and who they are might be ideal, but if it runs on the server and works that is fine. The idea is similar to how MS Office works, I open a file and it is in use by user firstname.lastname and can be read only or wait for a message when they are done.

Thanks.

Office 2007 tells you who has the file open, i think you should ask them to upgrade you ;)

Office 2007 tells you who has the file open, i think you should ask them to upgrade you ;)

Office 2003 does the same thing, but what I what does not do it are PDFs, MXD, etc. We use office files maybe 20% of the time, other times we are accessing other programs & files.

Well then, the only way to do this without 3rd party apps would be using the open file viewer in computer management. Would have to be done on the computer hosting the file

Back