Do the current XBOX One perks warrant a purchase from a PC gamer?

• Yes.

Votes: 9 15.8%
  • No.

Votes: 40 70.2%
  • Thinking about it, but not quite sold yet.

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Phil Spencer is still talking about XBOX One getting a mouse and keyboard.
Xbox One to get keyboard and mouse support in 'months'

List of XBOX One games that entitle you to a free PC copy after purchase. Program is called Play Anywhere and you can play against console competition in some games.
Xbox Play Anywhere | Xbox

XBOX One is now $279 because a new XBOX S slim edition is coming.
Xbox One price drops again to $279

I have to build a new HTPC anyways so I was mulling this over. I have a ton of parts so the HTPC will happen regardless, but for this price the XBOX One does look enticing. Would you get one now that it has so many perks attached to it? Or do you think there is a compelling reason to stay away from consoles? Too locked down? XBOX Live subscription? etc?

Discuss why you would or would not consider the console in your home after the changes and PC Anywhere perks that Microsoft has laid out. What would make the purchase of a console more likely?

Have fun!

No, because Play Anywhere means I'll be able to play all of those same games with the PC I already own. I'll even be able to play multiplayer against XB1 users in many titles. Not much point for me to buy an Xbox when the PC I already own will play the same games.

No but it will shut up the people whining about the pc advantage in crossplay games.
Not unless they ignore high FPS advantage PCs usually have over consoles.

To answer the topic: No, because I don't buy consoles for their controls, I buy it for their games, and so far no Xbone exclusives interest me enough to even consider considering it.

Not unless they ignore high FPS advantage PCs usually have over consoles.

To answer the topic: No, because I don't buy consoles for their controls, I buy it for their games, and so far no Xbone exclusives interest me enough to even consider considering it.
Non issue. They are constantly saying how the eye cant tell a difference in anything over 30FPS.

Doesn't affect me in the slightest bit. I play 75% of PC games with a controller to begin with. On top of it, it's not like KB/M fixes any of the Xbox One's hardware or software issues.
I *do* like the idea of having more PC versions of Xbox games so I actually don't need the Xbox anymore.
For the sake of people that insist on KB/M for everything, it certainly isn't a bad thing. Especially if the "Scorpio" is worthwhile.
EDIT: An important question, though - how would analog functionality work? That's long been one of the reasons I hate keyboard gaming.

M/KB support would definitely be a good option to have, but I'm not in the market for a console any time soon, so still doesn't affect me buying one.

No way - the price paid for an Xbox could go towards the next upgrade on my PC which can do pretty much everything an Xbox can do and more. Plus with them making the XB controller more readily compatible with a PC makes it even less of a reason.

I use my pc from my couch and cannot find a comfortable way to use m/kb. so I have given up on it and only play games I can use a controller with. if I try to play a FPS its usually only in single player as I get my ass handed to me without a m/kb and I feel useless to the team in anything team based. I tried doom for a bit during the mp beta and my k/d rate was embarrassing...

Phil Spencer is still talking about XBOX One getting a mouse and keyboard.
Xbox One to get keyboard and mouse support in 'months'

List of XBOX One games that entitle you to a free PC copy after purchase. Program is called Play Anywhere and you can play against console competition in some games.
Xbox Play Anywhere | Xbox

XBOX One is now $279 because a new XBOX S slim edition is coming.
Xbox One price drops again to $279

I have to build a new HTPC anyways so I was mulling this over. I have a ton of parts so the HTPC will happen regardless, but for this price the XBOX One does look enticing. Would you get one now that it has so many perks attached to it? Or do you think there is a compelling reason to stay away from consoles? Too locked down? XBOX Live subscription? etc?

Discuss why you would or would not consider the console in your home after the changes and PC Anywhere perks that Microsoft has laid out. What would make the purchase of a console more likely?

Have fun!

Not a chance in hell as I have no interest in consoles. In fact, with MS now trying to marry Xbox to the PC, it sets a scary precedent as we might see Windows Store start to proliferate a lot more in the future and potentially kill off things like mods and graphics options for games. They should keep the two ecosystems separated as far as possible IMO or more preferably, kill off their console business altogether and focus on the PC.

I wouldn't because I prefer to have the power of a PC rather than be locked into a consoles specific spec. If I want to game on my couch I use my HTPC which does more than an XBOX.

I can see why XBOX and PlayStation exist though. It definitely fills a role for people who don't have interest in technology but enjoy playing games.

I already use a mouse and keyboard for my XB1 for everything I need them for. The games I would use a M/KB for on my console, I just play on my computer where they are far better...

And subject myself to the swarms of children who's balls haven't dropped screaming "FAGGOT COCK MONGER!!!" into chat at a frequency high enough to make dogs howl? No fucking way.
Even though I'm a bit of a masochist, I can't subject myself to that kind of ear rape.

Nope, Xbox just doesn't have the exclusives I'm interested in, and now they will pretty much all be on pc anyway. With higher res and fps too.

Do hope this happens though. Might make Sony do it too, would love for my PS4 to support m/kb in games. Should be able to choose what works best for you. Play tons of games with XB1 controller on pc, anything with heavy aiming is with m/kb though.

I have an xbox 360. I'd consider an xbox one at current pricing, except it doesn't support media center extender, which I rely on heavily, and MS has apparently backed away from live tv on xbox one.

Consoles support keyboard and mouse, at least PS3 did with Unreal Trounament 3... so it's most likely a game developer thing rather than hardware manufacturer thing... unless MS/Sony need to develop drivers for in-game use?

I think it would have to be a game-by-game thing. There's no way to approximate 2 analog sticks and (especially) 2 analog triggers on KB/M.

While awesome, that product doesn't yet exist and it's one of a kind. The odds of MS adopting that to the Xbox are pretty slim.
I *do* hope something like that catches on, though. Something that with a more ergonomic layout (at least something designed for gaming - not typing) would be pretty great.

While awesome, that product doesn't yet exist and it's one of a kind. The odds of MS adopting that to the Xbox are pretty slim.
I *do* hope something like that catches on, though. Something that with a more ergonomic layout (at least something designed for gaming - not typing) would be pretty great.

Don't worry, the Chinese have probably seen the Wooting keyboard and are busy making cheap clones as we speak.

No, the xbone is a lost cause. They should've thought about getting people what they want when they released the thing, not when it's already slipped past the point of no return. If it was released with KB/Mouse support to begin with I might have been tempted to get one.

But I would get a PS4 if it had KB/Mouse support.

No, the xbone is a lost cause. They should've thought about getting people what they want when they released the thing, not when it's already slipped past the point of no return. If it was released with KB/Mouse support to begin with I might have been tempted to get one.

But I would get a PS4 if it had KB/Mouse support.
It does, but its up do the game developer to add it. EG, FFVI MMO supports M/KB option to play and runs just like it does on PC as far as controls.

Reactions: Youn
like this
It does, but its up do the game developer to add it. EG, FFVI MMO supports M/KB option to play and runs just like it does on PC as far as controls.
It was like that since the ps2, but almost no developer bothers with it. So in reality I can't play most platform seller titles with a mouse. So you're arguing semantics.

It was like that since the ps2, but almost no developer bothers with it. So in reality I can't play most platform seller titles with a mouse. So you're arguing semantics.

Not really. PS3 and PS4 have had keyboard and mouse support built in for years, but developers have to leverage them. I don't understand why MS adding it to the Xbox would be any different. Developers would still have to actually implement support for those control methods in their games, unless what they're talking about here is just automatically mapping keyboard and mouse input to controller movement, in which case it's going to be mostly garbage and only useful in a small number of titles. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Makes me wonder what the general population's opinion on this is. We're a dedicated gaming site with a lot of 'ol timers and it doesn't seem to be that big of deal here.
There's a whole generation that doesn't care that mouse aiming is quicker and borderline laugh at the idea of gaming on a keyboard. If everyone on an even playing field, it doesn't matter if mouse aiming is quicker. In talking to younger gamers, that seems to be the general opinion. They kinda see it like a big block V8 from the 70's outrunning a Camry. It just doesn't matter.
At a certain point I think most people probably don't care. There isn't an easy way to make it work universally, so it'll probably remain in the hands of developers. Most aren't going to bother, but a couple might.
That's as far as I can see this ever going.

Not really. PS3 and PS4 have had keyboard and mouse support built in for years, but developers have to leverage them. I don't understand why MS adding it to the Xbox would be any different. Developers would still have to actually implement support for those control methods in their games, unless what they're talking about here is just automatically mapping keyboard and mouse input to controller movement, in which case it's going to be mostly garbage and only useful in a small number of titles. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
You just re-worded the same argument so I don't know why do you expect a different resut. Yes the developers need to implement support in their games that's what I said. And currently they have no incentive to do it. But it would take Sony/Microsoft one stroke of a pen to make sure they are doing it properly.

You just re-worded the same argument so I don't know why do you expect a different resut. Yes the developers need to implement support in their games that's what I said. And currently they have no incentive to do it. But it would take Sony/Microsoft one stroke of a pen to make sure they are doing it properly.

I am not sure what you are going on about then. We all are saying the same thing.

I am not sure what you are going on about then. We all are saying the same thing.
You're saying it's can't be done. I'm saying it can be done, they're just not doing it at the moment.

You're saying it's can't be done. I'm saying it can be done, they're just not doing it at the moment.

You somehow want the best of both worlds: automatic compatibility with all games, but with the power of curated controls individually adapted for each game. No one is doing this at the moment because it is not possible.

On topic, I think it would make the XB1 a greater value proposition if I had the capacity to use and map a keyboard. Not sure it would actually make me buy one though.
The titles have to be geared for it. KB/M works best with FPS. I guess if I wanted to exclusively play FPS' on a console it would help a lot.

But then after that it would have to over come down to graphical fidelity and exclusivity. I already have a machine. Will it be able to play games with better graphics and more frames than my rig? Does it have any games that I can't play already on Steam (or exclusives that don't exist on Steam that I actually want to play)?
Currently the answer to both of those questions is decidedly: "no". The issue here is: if you are a hardcore PC gamer who desires a KB/M, you already have that and are probably already using it.
People on consoles are an entirely different market. People that prefer controllers. Unless the XB1 offered an extremely good value proposition and exclusives that PC gamers care about, I don't see much of a chance for change.

When Microsoft says Windows 10 is the last version of Windows they mean the future of the PC is a locked down box they totally control. This is step 1.

Only a dirty console peasant would think that the keyboard and mouse is why a glorious PC master uses a PC. That would be like saying we are only not buying the Fiat 500L because its steering wheel isn't as nice as the BMW M4's steering wheel.

In my absolutely totally unbiased opinion, of course.

Only a dirty console peasant would think that the keyboard and mouse is why a glorious PC master uses a PC. That would be like saying we are only not buying the Fiat 500L because its steering wheel isn't as nice as the BMW M4's steering wheel.

In my absolutely totally unbiased opinion, of course.
My PoV isn't so much that we can use KB/M, but that we are not limited to their own controller.s Neither Xbone nor PS4 can use each other's controller, nor can they use Steam controller, but PC can use them all, in addition to KB/M, plus other peripherals like Razer Orbweaver or Logitech G13, plus any full size joy sticks and steering wheels.

Back