Who here plays America's Army?

I used to but then I got bored of getting killed 15 seconds into the round and then waiting 8 minutes to respawn because the only guys left on each team are camping on opposite sides of the map.

I played AA from 1.2.1 version occasionaly till 2.4. But I don't play much.
pipeline and Pipeline SF are mine favorite. Didn't play it this year.

I played from version 1 up to 2.4 not sure why but the game just felt different after that : /

Haven't played since BF2 came out. Before that AA was the only game I played

The training turned me off of it. I don't wanna sit in a classroom listening to virtual instructor does the army think that's a recruiting tool? Plus the multiplayer is just stupid one shot kill I mean come on do soldiers wear kevlar and helmets for no reason. The weapons just seem wimpy the M16 was single shot I thought they fired 3 round bursts in real life. The game seems like it was made for camping because if you are running and get hit with a toothpick you'll go down and have to wait forever for the game to end. I didn't have that much fun with it so I quit playing but it's still installed on my PC.

Well it IS a tactical fps... not really on the same lines as BF2 or UT. The idea is to think before you go running into battle.

Darakian said:
Well it IS a tactical fps... not really on the same lines as BF2 or UT. The idea is to think before you go running into battle.

Yeah but I don't think it did it very well. Yeah even if it is tactical it just doesn't feel as polished as Ghost Recon. It doesn't really have the UI of a tactical shooter and online nobody works as a team.

Eh whatever. I think the game is much better than ghost recon but that's just me.

The game can be really really fun if you get good at it....it just takes a little while

Abyss of Borg said:
The weapons just seem wimpy the M16 was single shot I thought they fired 3 round bursts in real life.

You can select between firing modes by right-clicking; the M16 includes semi-automatic and burst fire modes...

Abyss of Borg said:
The training turned me off of it. I don't wanna sit in a classroom listening to virtual instructor does the army think that's a recruiting tool? Plus the multiplayer is just stupid one shot kill I mean come on do soldiers wear kevlar and helmets for no reason. The weapons just seem wimpy the M16 was single shot I thought they fired 3 round bursts in real life. The game seems like it was made for camping because if you are running and get hit with a toothpick you'll go down and have to wait forever for the game to end. I didn't have that much fun with it so I quit playing but it's still installed on my PC.

Hmm, you didn't give the game much of a chance. Tbh almost everything you pointed out is wrong, except the training stuff.

I like the training though, not because it helps in the game at all, but because it weeds out random general noobs who cant be bothered to sit through training (much like they can't be bothered to do anything but rush an objective and get killed if they did get through training :)). The honor system is a nice touch too, I think it has a good effect of preventing people from loading a server, randomly tk'ing, spamming the radio, etc (much like you see in almost all other FPS's from time too time) but at the same time doesn't lead to any type of stat gaming, like you see in BF2. The training and honor systems are a pretty solid way to keep the game play mature, and for the US Army to try and recruit kids (as sad as that is).

That said, I havn't played it in about a year, though I did play the hell out of it 1.6-2.4. The game just gets boring after awhile.

Abyss of Borg said:

I didnt like the training either. The game could have been tactical without being tedious.

I could offer my counter-argument to the ignorant posts above me, but it's not worth my time...

Yeah, I play. If you have AAO Tracker, my game name is "-Yar.i"

PM if you wanna play sometime.

The only tedious part is the medic and SF training IMO. Everything else can be passed with ease, especially after you have played the game for a day, or competent with first person shooters.

I played back when it came out, and on and off since then.

i play it, but not much anymore. i play css primarily now, because i can make money at it :)

I play regularly. I'm [1stSOG]-18th... came in second place in TWL's last 4v4 season. lol

But yeah... Border's quickly becoming one of my favorite maps, but I excel most at Urban Assault and Insurgent Camp. :)

Asian Dub Foundation said:
i don't but i want to... is it fun?

I think it is the most rewarding FPS I have ever played. It takes a long time to get good and you will die a shitload before you figure out what to do, but once you stop playing CS style and start thinking, you will find that all other FPS's pale in comparison.

Some of the reasons I absolutely love AA is the skills of the people that play, the realism of the game (realistic recoil, move slower when you get shot, realistic damage from weapons, your reticle moves when you are scoped in, etc), a more tightly knit community, and great level design.

I think one of the keys in having a good time is finding a good server that has a teamspeak server. MYL's teamspeak server is usually populated and everybody is really cool.

Give AA a try. The learning curve in the game is very steep and you probably will get killed a bunch, but once you get good, you will be hooked. Its an excellent game.

Do any of you AA players use Xfire?

m4rine said:
The only tedious part is the medic and SF training IMO. Everything else can be passed with ease, especially after you have played the game for a day, or competent with first person shooters.

I played back when it came out, and on and off since then.

qft, escape and evade definitely pissed me off like no other...it took so many tries to get it right

Abyss of Borg said:

The game is a simulation. The classrooms are very realistic and give potential recruits a very realistic view of training in the Army.

The flak vests are not bullet proof. They are designed to protect your major organs from the shrapnel from grenades or other indirect fire. A bullet will go straight through. The helmets do help, but a shot to the face and neck will kill instantly in real life too.

Yes, M16's do have a burst fire mode, as modeled in the game. The decreased accuracy is modeled as well.

Having served 10 years in the Army I can tell you that AA is as accurate as computer simulations get.

The game is most enjoyable when you have joined a clan and you work as a team utilizing voice communications.

Anyway, I play it. I'm on hiatus right now, working as a contractor in Iraq. Once I'm home in December I will be picking it up again.

Tried it out today, but right now im taking a break from it. My first impression is running and gunning dont work :( Great game i must say, for my first time playing, but best of all it was all gratis :)

Back