Who here is keeping their 3 series and skipping 4 series nV cards?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a 3080 OC gigabyte 10gig card and I get 100 to 140 fps in the games that I play. I have a 144hertz 3440x1440p monitor and see no reason to buy the 4 series. The price is sickeningly high and my 3080 is giving me plenty of fps.

Anyone else sticking with their 3 series and waiting until the 5 series?

Happily keeping 3080Ti XC3 Ultra Hydrocopper here plays 4k like a champ and is in line with my 12700kf. System is balanced and no need for a 4090 which is a whopping 1600+ at the least plus tax and inflated prices closer to 2k absolutely no way Jenson is full of shit and can kiss my ass lol

Im keeping my 3080 for the time being. I do expect Ti cards and price drops sometime between now and end of Q1 2023. Will re-evaluate the landscape then. I do WANT to upgrade, but not at these prices.

3070 here. no complaints. I mean, I'm also playing 10+ year old games on 1440@144. With the state of GPUs, I'm fine being a generation behind.

I'm going into a crunch time at work over the next few months, so I've just sold my 3090: using my trusty 1080 ti and laptop for the interim. I'll likely pick up a 7900xtx (if there are any left in stock) or "4080" i.e. 4070 16GB (if price is reduced a good bit) early next year.

I didn't skip the 4 series card per say. I bought one but when I got it home I had a nasty surprise that it doesn't work with Windows 7 so I returned it to BB on Saturday and reverted back my 16 series card for now. I might pick up a 3080ti on black friday though if I see any good deals on one pop up.

I didn't skip the 4 series card per say. I bought one but when I got it home I had a nasty surprise that it doesn't work with Windows 7 so I returned it to BB on Saturday and reverted back my 16 series card for now. I might pick up a 3080ti on black friday though if I see any good deals on one pop up.
It's time to move on from Windows 7. It's 13 years old at this point. That would be like still running Windows XP in 2014. The last Window 7 GeForce driver is 474.06. The newest driver is 526.98.

Keeping? I upgraded to a 30 series from a 20 series 2 weeks ago lol I waited to see what kind of crack Nvidia was smoking, said fuck that and made my move. 1080ti to 2080ti to 3090. I'll get a 4090 in a year or 2. lol thousand dollar video cards. Not me bruh.

Even though I have a 4090 that I effectively got for 1400 pre-tax, I'll be looking to see how the 7900XTX does in real life and especially RT, likely the most VFM card this cycle.

I'm keeping my water-cooled 3080 for now and looking at AMD for the next upgrade.

Wat.

Bro, this would be like using Mac OS System 7 still in 2003 and complaining that stuff isn't working on it. Just to put that into perspective.

I'm still stuck on my 2080, but I've been trying to buy a 4090 FE ever since launch day, with no success. I might get a 3-series card instead but I've already decided that I'm going to wait as long as it takes to get a card with 24GB VRAM. So what that really means is that I'm going to continue trying to get a 4090 FE, but I'm not going to pay above MSRP. I'll settle for a 3090 or 3090 Ti, but only if I can find one for a VERY good price. The 4080 is expensive enough that I'd rather hold out for the 4090 instead, and the 16GB VRAM on the 4080 is not exactly impressive. My last two GPU setups, I went with cards that had "enough" VRAM, and in both cases ultimately ended up in situations where that VRAM was not enough. It's not hard to max out the 8GB on my 2080 at this point. I want a card where that will be a non-issue for a very very long time.

It's looking like I probably will. Even if I put together a new build in the Spring, I don't necessarily see the need for these cards vs. a 3090. That's even at 4K and high FPS. DLSS2 has gotten so good and so many games got delayed that I don't think anything is going to necessitate them for a while. By that point, we'll be coming up on the 5X00 cards or at the very least a TI model for the 4X00 series. If a wave of power hungry games comes out next Fall, I might rethink things.

I upgraded from my 1080Ti last year to a 6900XT, I should be good for several more years before I have to worry about an upgrade. And by that point it will likey be time for an platform upgrade anyway.

There will be plenty of deals to be had for a 3000 series card this week. Nvidia is holding back the 4000 series cards until early next year. Although I hope AMD forces their hand.
There aren't many 3080ti+ options left. They've already made it where if you want that level of performance new, they're making you get a 4080, or be satisfied with 3080 10GB/less level of performance.

Still relevant to this day, especially if you don't give a flip about RT and DLSS
I do not! :) Does 60+ on 1440p all day long (monitor is 60hz) and 4k is even decent in most games with some adjustments.

As a bonus... I bought it from The Man himself. I doubt I will ever get rid of it.

I'm keeping my 3070 Strix. About all I play these days is COD and it runs in the 130's at 1440 with DLLS (which I'm a big fan of) so I don't see a reason to shell out $1200 for a 4080.

I'm still stuck on my 2080, but I've been trying to buy a 4090 FE ever since launch day, with no success. I might get a 3-series card instead but I've already decided that I'm going to wait as long as it takes to get a card with 24GB VRAM. So what that really means is that I'm going to continue trying to get a 4090 FE, but I'm not going to pay above MSRP. I'll settle for a 3090 or 3090 Ti, but only if I can find one for a VERY good price. The 4080 is expensive enough that I'd rather hold out for the 4090 instead, and the 16GB VRAM on the 4080 is not exactly impressive. My last two GPU setups, I went with cards that had "enough" VRAM, and in both cases ultimately ended up in situations where that VRAM was not enough. It's not hard to max out the 8GB on my 2080 at this point. I want a card where that will be a non-issue for a very very long time.
Why the FE? With that hideous connector sticking out the side like a sore thumb bad position bad angle. For that reason alone the FE is out of the question for me (not in the market for 4000 series n e way just saying) why not go for a MSI gaming or suprim or Asus etc?

Still relevant to this day, especially if you don't give a flip about RT and DLSS
Have you seen the difference in Spiderman without ray tracing? It's night and day. No way I would play a game like that without ray tracing It's on a whole nother level I can't live without n e more. Ray tracing is here to stay for sure.

I do not! :) Does 60+ on 1440p all day long (monitor is 60hz) and 4k is even decent in most games with some adjustments.
As a bonus... I bought it from The Man himself. I doubt I will ever get rid of it.
Nice. Throw in some FSR, and that 1080 Ti should serve well as a raster card for quite some time to come.
Have you seen the difference in Spiderman without ray tracing? It's night and day. No way I would play a game like that without ray tracing It's on a whole nother level I can't live without n e more. Ray tracing is here to stay for sure.
RT curiosity finally got the better of me - switched from a 1080 to a 3060 Ti (mATX case cannot fit anything larger)

Spiderman would be awesome in VR and the VR controller interfaces are a natural for it but pancake mode just pales in comparison.

By the time I finish all my backlogged games, which the 3090, 6900Xt can fly through at any resolution, I will probably be taking a dirt nap.

I will give it some time, see how AMD release turns out. Just in no hurry or need.

Why the FE? With that hideous connector sticking out the side like a sore thumb bad position bad angle. For that reason alone the FE is out of the question for me (not in the market for 4000 series n e way just saying) why not go for a MSI gaming or suprim or Asus etc?

#1 reason for me is because of number of slots required. The FE requires 4 slots (3-slot card, and one slot to allow fans to breathe). Most other cards require 5 slots (3.5 or 4-slot card, and one slot to allow fans to breathe). I simply cannot sacrifice that many slots. Even the FE would require me to remove an Intel dual-port network card that I'm using, but I've been testing USB-based replacements. Swapping a rock-solid Intel network card for two ghetto USB adapters is still far from ideal, but it's the only card that I have the option of removing while still being able to get somewhat equivalent functionality via other means. Going to a 5-slot card would require that I also either remove my Sound Card or the small extra videocard that I use to power my 5th and 6th monitors. I'm not willing to sacrifice either of those. I think that there are a couple other 3-slot cards. I believe Zotac makes one. But none of the good AIB companies have one that I know of. I also kind of like the look of the FE. Also, wasn't there something about being able to bump the FE up to 600w while many of the AIB cards can't go above 450?

I actually ended up selling my 3 series M340i RWD for a 4 series M440i xDrive Gran Coupe. I liked the 3 series, but the 4 series just feels like a better car honestly. Got a pretty good deal on it, too.

I also upgraded my RTX 3080 to an RTX 4090 because I make financially irresponsible decisions.

Last edited:
#1 reason for me is because of number of slots required. The FE requires 4 slots (3-slot card, and one slot to allow fans to breathe). Most other cards require 5 slots (3.5 or 4-slot card, and one slot to allow fans to breathe). I simply cannot sacrifice that many slots. Even the FE would require me to remove an Intel dual-port network card that I'm using, but I've been testing USB-based replacements. Swapping a rock-solid Intel network card for two ghetto USB adapters is still far from ideal, but it's the only card that I have the option of removing while still being able to get somewhat equivalent functionality via other means. Going to a 5-slot card would require that I also either remove my Sound Card or the small extra videocard that I use to power my 5th and 6th monitors. I'm not willing to sacrifice either of those. I think that there are a couple other 3-slot cards. I believe Zotac makes one. But none of the good AIB companies have one that I know of. I also kind of like the look of the FE. Also, wasn't there something about being able to bump the FE up to 600w while many of the AIB cards can't go above 450?

Yeah it really sucks how computers went from having many slots you could use, to barely having 1 or 2 slots besides the one for your video card. Although if video cards keep getting bigger and bigger, there may not be any room left for anything else in your computer eventually.

Keeping my 3080 for now, but might get tempted by the 7900XTX if it has good RT performance so I can move the 3080 to my secondary. Otherwise I will probably be looking at a 7700XT for my secondary. Skipped the 2000 series I felt it was too little performance increase for the asking price, maybe outside of the 2080ti and the 4000 series seems the same way IMO. So far they have released what would normally be a x080ti and the x070 with the x060ti waiting to be released. Voting with my wallet so Nvidia hopefully gets the message that changing the name of the 70 card to 80 and charging 80ti prices is not OK. Should be noted that my 3080 is still holding up fine, except for in very RT heavy games as I play at 1440p but might get painful before next gen launch (5000 series from Nvidia or the 8000 series from AMD).

Yeah, size kind of sucks and it seems like they think people only have a GPU expansion card. Length is not an issue as I would be able to fit a GPU at around 50cm before it starts crashing with my front radiators, but a 4 slot card would probably cause issues. Like that my current 3080 now takes about 1 slot and allows me to get to stuff on the motherboard without having to remove the gpu first.

What makes you think a 3080ti will work on windows 7? They don't make drivers for it anymore. Even if you could get it to work you going to have a buggy experience with performance issues. Stop being stubborn and move on from 7.

Back