Who here hosts a web server on a cable connection?(dynamic IP)

I'm looking at upgrading from my 8Mbps DSL connection to a 30/3 Cable connection (fiber) but the price is pretty high. I am looking at dropping my internet hosting service and running it from home with a DynDNS type setup. I have the hardware to do it but I will miss the control panel of the web hosting service (1and1). I plan to run Linux with EHCP & webmin for the server along with a proxy server and a PBX, maybe on a seperate box.

Now that I think about it I might not be able to host on a residential connection but it is only very little traffic.

There's nothing really stopping you besides upload bandwidth and availability (unless the ISP you use blocks http ports for some odd reason). Just remember that anything affecting upload speeds via normal usage (streaming video, uploading FTP/Dropbox, etc) will make any web service requests suffer.

make sure running a server from a residential cable connection isn't against the ISP's EULA.

I wouldnt even try it on residential DHCP cable connection sorry but I am hosting couple web servers on my residential FTTH account with static IP account and my ISP dont give a crap really LOL.

I used to do it way before, until my ISP got wind of it and I had to shut down. Sucked. Was before I was 18 so I did not have a credit card then and was unable to get paid hosting. If you have a credit card save yourself a headache and just get hosting. Though if your ISP does allow it and you have decent upload, then go for it. It's always easier to manage a server that you have physical access to.

Residential upload speeds tend to suck though.

I wouldnt even try it on residential DHCP cable connection sorry but I am hosting couple web servers on my residential FTTH account with static IP account and my ISP dont give a crap really LOL.

What are you talking about? You say you wouldn't even try it yet you are doing the same thing that I am but with a static IP. So what make you so special that you can do it and not I? If you don't know about hosting with a dynamic IP then maybe you don't understand this but it isn't that much more involved.

Working fine for me on Time Warner Cables POS service. Just sign up for a dynamic DNS service, and make sure you have a router/software that updates the service if your IP changes. Also, get an email smarthost if you plan to run a mail server (That's what im doing right now). This is on their 10/1 line right now, but I will be moving to their 30/5 service soon.

I'm looking at upgrading from my 8Mbps DSL connection to a 30/3 Cable connection (fiber) but the price is pretty high. I am looking at dropping my internet hosting service and running it from home with a DynDNS type setup. I have the hardware to do it but I will miss the control panel of the web hosting service (1and1). I plan to run Linux with EHCP & webmin for the server along with a proxy server and a PBX, maybe on a seperate box.

Now that I think about it I might not be able to host on a residential connection but it is only very little traffic.

Vitalized it all on one box :) esxi :)

Make sure you have a decent firewall, My wordpress gets hammered on 24/7

does anyone know if Comcast will give you a static IP on a home account? If not.. whats the cheapest business account?

I think you need a business account; they charge like $10-15 per month per static IP.

does anyone know if Comcast will give you a static IP on a home account? If not.. whats the cheapest business account?

Do you have to have a static ip ? I used dyndns for years before i got a static..

I used Namecheap and used DynamicUpdate to update any IP changes. My Dynamic addresses changed very rarely. Maybe once a year if I was lucky. Now I have static IPs that came bundled with my current speed.

I think you need a business account; they charge like $10-15 per month per static IP.

can anyone get a business account? I pay $20.00 a month for a VPS that I use as a SMTP relay. yes... I know there are cheaper solutions but this company has offered 100% uptime since i started with them. IN VPS land you really do pay for what you get.

Looking over Comcast's business offerings they are showing $59.95 for 12 down and 2 up (basically what I'm getting now for residential) + $14.95 for 1 static IP. I'm thinking I can remove the VPS and save $5.00 a month by having a business account.

OP... Have you considered this option?

Back when I had comcast I had a residential account. Though technically it was DHCP my public IP never changed the entire time.

YMMV

Back when I had comcast I had a residential account. Though technically it was DHCP my public IP never changed the entire time.

YMMV

Mine changes once a week. My pfsense firewall keeps everything up to date rather easily.

YMMV

The nice thing about some ISP's with DHCP is that they have plenty of IP's which are sometimes assigned by MAC address on the modem. This means that whenever you login to the service you the dhcp server see's the modems MAC address and assigns the same IP. I had cable Internet and had the same IP no matter how long my service was off. I though there was some monitoring going on or something.:D

I used to work for a local ISP as tech support it dont change IP if you dont power cycle the modem but if you do power cycle it you will get a new IP if the modem is offline more then 24 hours its called Static DHCP setup.

I used to work for a local ISP as tech support it dont change IP if you dont power cycle the modem but if you do power cycle it you will get a new IP if the modem is offline more then 24 hours its called Static DHCP setup.

hrm.. why is my ip changing then? My pfsense box has been up for a long time now and according to the logs the interface has been up for the same amount of time as well.

For a while I hosted several websites and email off my cable using namecheap and ddclient for dynamic dns, but every time I needed it to be up and stable something crazy would happen..

neighbor with a backhoe cutting my coax..

cable company (contractor) installing the same neighbors service 4 months later cut my coax.. again.

oversize-ed tanker on the highway ripping down all the overheads.

I also tried the cheap VPS route and always ended up on an over sold node(got what I paid for)

So in the end I took one of my spare HP servers and co-located it in a datacenter, which is costings me less than buying a bigger/better VPS.

lol...that's a broad (and incorrect) statement. My Qwest (now Century Link) account would change every couple hours, my Comacst business account has changed once since I've had it (about a month). It's 100% up to your particular carrier, and not just the carrier but the carrier for you region. (i.e. Comcast back east probably does it differently that comcast out west, I'm sure it's even more regionalized that that)

I have things hosted an my home, but they are all personal stuff...stuff I would prefer others didn't have access to. I use a script called inadyn that runs as a daemon on my linux box and updates as often as I tell it to, I currently have it checking every five minutes to see if it needs to update my ip.

linode.com is the best vps company I have run into. nodes are not oversold and uptime is outstanding!
if hosting @ home is not an option for you they are a good route to go.

it's a shame I don't pay more other wise I could justify the added cost of Comcast business w/ static ip. I tired last night and was told no. ;(
op... in a nut shell yes you can. but don't expect great results. better to go into this with lower expectations and be surprised.

hrm.. why is my ip changing then? My pfsense box has been up for a long time now and according to the logs the interface has been up for the same amount of time as well.

Different ISP's have different DHCP lease timers.

Think of a lease time for DHCP such as this...

Your modem's mac ID is 0000:1111:2222 or whatever it is. The DHCP will log your MAC id and then issue an address of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with a lease time of 50 mins. The lease time can vary depending on the ISP.

So if your modem is offline for more than 50 mins your lease expires and someone else will probably be issued the address you previously owned. If somehow you manage to get your modem back online at the 49th minute you will retain the IP you had before hand.

Now some ISPs will power cycle their equipment in the data center or take certain equipment down for maintenance. dusting, firmware or whatever they do. This will be the same to your modem as if you were to power cycle.

Also some ISPs program your modem to reboot it's self after so many hours or days in order to keep everything fresh.

No its not I know what I am talking about there buddy I used to work as a tech support for a local ISP dude like I said before it depends if you power cycle the equipment or not trust me or if they got different DHCP timers to release the old IP and give you a new IP based on your MAC adddress.

lol...that's a broad (and incorrect) statement. My Qwest (now Century Link) account would change every couple hours, my Comacst business account has changed once since I've had it (about a month). It's 100% up to your particular carrier, and not just the carrier but the carrier for you region. (i.e. Comcast back east probably does it differently that comcast out west, I'm sure it's even more regionalized that that)

I have things hosted an my home, but they are all personal stuff...stuff I would prefer others didn't have access to. I use a script called inadyn that runs as a daemon on my linux box and updates as often as I tell it to, I currently have it checking every five minutes to see if it needs to update my ip.

No its not I know what I am talking about there buddy I used to work as a tech support for a local ISP dude like I said before it depends if you power cycle the equipment or not trust me or if they got different DHCP timers to release the old IP and give you a new IP based on your MAC adddress.

lol, thanks for the quality education on how DHCP works. This whole thread proves your broad statement is incorrect. Just because the ISP you worked for did it that way doesn't mean all do it that way. Your statement may have been correct for your ISP but it's too broad of a statement to say "all ISPs do it this way".

LOL please tell me your thoughts how all ISP's do it there captain smart a** then? I like to know please tell me I would like to really know. Because the ISP I worked for was providing Wireless,fiber,cable,dsl so.... they all had DHCP with all different setups....

lol, thanks for the quality education on how DHCP works. This whole thread proves your broad statement is incorrect. Just because the ISP you worked for did it that way doesn't mean all do it that way. Your statement may have been correct for your ISP but it's too broad of a statement to say "all ISPs do it this way".

LOL please tell me your thoughts how all ISP's do it there captain smart a** then? I like to know please tell me I would like to really know. Because the ISP I worked for was providing Wireless,fiber,cable,dsl so.... they all had DHCP with all different setups....

you don't know what you're talking about.
you brag about being tech support for an ISP, but do you know how often folks around here dog on ISP tech support? And I definitely agree with a lot of that.

You are completely incorrect on your definition of Static DHCP.
Static DHCP is basically an IP Reservation.
The DHCP server is configured to always provide that same IP address to a specific MAC address. That MAC address will ALWAYS get that same IP address from that DHCP server, until that reservation is removed.
Power cycling has absolutely nothing to do with Static DHCP. Look it up.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Static_DHCP
Static DHCP (aka DHCP reservation) is a useful feature which makes the DHCP server on your router always assign the same IP address to a specific computer on your LAN. To be more specific, the DHCP server assigns this static IP to a unique MAC address assigned to each NIC on your LAN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol
static allocation: The DHCP server allocates an IP address based on a table with MAC address/IP address pairs, which are manually filled in (perhaps by a network administrator). [Only requesting clients with a MAC address listed in this table will be allocated an IP address]. This feature (which is not supported by all DHCP servers) is variously called Static DHCP Assignment (by DD-WRT), fixed-address (by the dhcpd documentation), Address Reservation (by Netgear), DHCP reservation or Static DHCP (by Cisco/Linksys), and IP reservation or MAC/IP binding (by various other router manufacturers).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t11/feature/guide/gtdhcpsm.html
The DHCP—Static Mapping feature enables assignment of static IP addresses without creating numerous host pools with manual bindings by using a customer-created text file that the DHCP server reads.

and FYI, the post you quoted... he never tried to admit he knows exactly how all ISPs work. He made the (correct) statement that not all ISPs are setup the same exact way, in terms of DHCP leases.

linode.com is the best vps company I have run into. nodes are not oversold and uptime is outstanding!

I have two servers with them, they are excellent

I also have a 30/5 connection at home, obviously I have servers running at home, who doesn't? But I don't use them as live websites, just dev websites and other services such as my music server.

You should really not be hosting live sites at home, get a server in a datacenter for that, they are cheap.

Dude you even know what your even talking about? because It really doesnt sound like it at all of course the ISP network can have Static DHCP look that up for once it doesnt have to be on your own internal network.

I seen ISP's do mac ACL to get DHCP IP's.

Some of these people are trolls who just want to start a flaming war and I agree with you dashpuppy this thread went to crap dude to these trolls!!!

you don't know what you're talking about.
you brag about being tech support for an ISP, but do you know how often folks around here dog on ISP tech support? And I definitely agree with a lot of that.

You are completely incorrect on your definition of Static DHCP.
Static DHCP is basically an IP Reservation.
The DHCP server is configured to always provide that same IP address to a specific MAC address. That MAC address will ALWAYS get that same IP address from that DHCP server, until that reservation is removed.
Power cycling has absolutely nothing to do with Static DHCP. Look it up.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Static_DHCP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t11/feature/guide/gtdhcpsm.html

and FYI, the post you quoted... he never tried to admit he knows exactly how all ISPs work. He made the (correct) statement that not all ISPs are setup the same exact way, in terms of DHCP leases.

Last edited:
Dude you even know what your even talking about? because It really doesnt sound like it at all of course the ISP network can have Static DHCP look that up for once it doesnt have to be on your own internal network.

I seen ISP's do mac ACL to get DHCP IP's.

Some of these people are trolls who just want to start a flaming war and I agree with you dashpuppy this thread went to crap dude to these trolls!!!

why the name calling?

And yes I know ISP's can do Static DHCP.
What I was stating is that powercycling a device to get a new IP has nothing to do with Static DHCP.
If a MAC address is provided a Static DHCP (IP reservation), that device will always get that IP until the reservation is removed; regardless of powercycling the device.
Static DHCP and powercycling a device to get a new IP have absolutely nothing in common and are in no way related.

On a side note, I don't know where you got the idea that I meant Static DHCP was LAN-only; because I certainly didn't make that statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the name calling well your the one who started it first there buddy so its only fair to call it back. So I am just pointing the facts there is so many different ways how this can be done but you want to keep saying I dont know what I am talking about blah blah.. When you dont know anything.

And yes I know ISP's can do Static DHCP.
What I was stating is that powercycling a device to get a new IP has nothing to do with Static DHCP.
If a MAC address is provided a Static DHCP (IP reservation), that device will always get that IP until the reservation is removed; regardless of powercycling the device.
Static DHCP and powercycling a device to get a new IP have absolutely nothing in common and are in no way related.

On a side note, I don't know where you got the idea that I meant Static DHCP was LAN-only; because I certainly didn't make that statement.

Comcast will give you business service at a residence from what I've heard and read on their website. I just did a quick quote and it's $60 for a 12/2 line although it's $15 on top of that for a static IP. I know of people who use Comcast Business at home for the better service and support. I'd rather go with a static IP and not run into DynDNS or EULA problems.

How did / do they get wind of it? Is it because you were using a lot of bandwidth or because they see if :80 or :443 goes to something?

I forget the details as to why but I just remember someone reported me. Chances are I would have gotten away otherwise as I was not pulling much bandwidth at the time. So it's worth a shot, just keep it low profile. The worse that can happen is you are forced to remove it or maybe get your account suspended. Just have a backup plan. Though some ISPs may actually look for common ports too.

ISP rules may vary as well so may even be worth just asking. My ISP actually allows game servers, just not web/service servers. Guess anything that could potentially make me money directly or indirectly.

if hosting @ home is not an option for you they are a good route to go.

it's a shame I don't pay more other wise I could justify the added cost of Comcast business w/ static ip. I tired last night and was told no. ;(
op... in a nut shell yes you can. but don't expect great results. better to go into this with lower expectations and be surprised.

Concur completely. Our company used to provide VPS hosting, and when we EOLd that product, I moved to Linode. Excellent reliability, great throughput, fantastic uptime.

For the price of the power you should just get a VPS, honestly.

I pay $19.95 a month for each of mine, and they are more than I need for email, dns, web, *cough* folding@home *cough*..

Back