Who here has gigabit internet? Also anybody subscribed to Comcast 6 gig?

Ya, i love how our government one minute is all about "affordable internet and mobile services" so provider go 1 cent below the recommendation to claim they meet those standards, then, someone else gets in and they ditch that, and then allow Rogers to buy Shaw, and try to spin it like they created MORE providers by giving a branch off Shaw to some Quebec company....
At least they're not saying they have gigabit everywhere by just making sure someone in a metro has it and then calling it good with the feds (looking at you att).

Private enterprise mixed with government seems to always end up with the public getting the short end of the stick and the bill.

I have Charter spectrums 1 GB download 40 MB upload plan. It works pretty well I get around 100 to 125 MB a second from Steam and blizzard. I pay roughly 70 bucks a month for it. Does anybody else have gigabit internet here? How do you guys like it also I heard Comcast offers 6 gigabit! That is a s*** ton of speed. I remember coming from a 2400 baud modem in 1993 and the fact that I have a gigabit internet coming into my apartment is beyond crazy. What do you guys think the coming landscape for home internet speed is going to be like? Do you think we're going to get multi gigabit connections to the house and have it be more common place than it is now? Or is gigabit going to be it for a while? Okay thanks!
I have 5 gig down/up from Frontier FiOS. They also include a TP-Link Archer AXE300 10 gig router with the service for no additional charge.

Since the advent of total war back in WWII (and the current practice of it on Ukraine), I you're right about those Strategic Bombers or just ICBMs.
One of my dogs is always named after Curtis LeMay.

That's a pretty cool idea. I think 'Rickover' would also be a great name for a dog. :)
AR is landlocked though and more about Strategic Air Command and ICBMs in the past rather than SUBSAFE.

Once I found out the real price of Comcast's Gigabit plan with a limit (that ads $30 per month), I realize it was just as bad my current plans with local provider, but Comcast's upload speed is lower.

What I want is really low latency/ping (20 ioor less) in games and AFAIK, it all depends on hops, but how can you tell what latency/ping you get when you switch ISP's? I've never had a provider deliver latencies below 25ms. Almost all of them delivered latencies of about 45-60ms. With NordVPN, I get 38-45ms ping, which is great, but not as good as I'd like it to be.

What I want is really low latency/ping (20 ioor less) in games and AFAIK, it all depends on hops, but how can you tell what latency/ping you get when you switch ISP's? I've never had a provider deliver latencies below 25ms. Almost all of them delivered latencies of about 45-60ms. With NordVPN, I get 38-45ms ping, which is great, but not as good as I'd like it to be.

The major component in your latency is going to be the hops after the CO/Headend access network, but it's still a component (making up 1-10 ms depending on technologies, for example a traditional analog (so non DAA) cable network may be around 5-7 ms , where a LLD cable network can be sub 1, a lot of time can get tied up in queuing and scheduler side of things) . Providers like COX (I think comcast is doing this too now), along with others have started to offer a Gamer subscription package , which is basically just a VPN that optimizes the hops it takes to get to the gaming servers to cut down on ping and jitter. It's not really anything that you need to buy from the provider either, as I think most are just using licensed WTFast software/network , although there are other players in the space as well, I know I've some basically using SD-Wan route optimization in their services as well.

AR is landlocked though and more about Strategic Air Command and ICBMs in the past rather than SUBSAFE.
True, and I hope they've still got their ICBMs ready to go along with SAC--that would help me sleep better at least.

As far as ping times, most of the time I've noticed that ping times are much better with any type of optical service. I still remember when I was in Milwaukee and it was 1ms to the ISP in Chicago even though the service was only like 25/15Mbs GPON. Even now at the office in CA with a 500/500 it's 3ms to 8.8.8.8 while a 500/50 WOW cable connection in N AL is 19ms to 8.8.8.8 and a Charter/Spectrum cable modem nearby is 24ms and a Comcast cable modem in CA is 8ms. I think the best way to go for latency is a 1Gb optical plan as that's basically wired ethernet ping times from what I've seen. And the faster the wire speed, the faster the ping just has to be by the nature of it. So I imagine the 5Gb service that ATT can provide at one of the CA locations is going to be well under 1ms which would be quite nice for nearly anything. :)

Please. You would not be happy with 3MB.
That was my speed until earlier this year. I wasn't happy with it but, it was sufficient for most tasks. I don't stream anything though.

That's the thing as ONTs/modems are pretty 'brainless' to the isp. Charter still provides modems for all the connections we have from them--it's only wow and comcast that are byom or ridiculous per month equipment charge.

And I have no idea why isps thought having garbage routers and then charging for them would be a good idea--unless most consumers are just that stupid.
I believe this is the case. A friend of mine has family members who happily pay the monthly fee(s) despite having spent more than it would have cost to buy the necessary hardware.

True, and I hope they've still got their ICBMs ready to go along with SAC--that would help me sleep better at least.

As far as ping times, most of the time I've noticed that ping times are much better with any type of optical service. I still remember when I was in Milwaukee and it was 1ms to the ISP in Chicago even though the service was only like 25/15Mbs GPON. Even now at the office in CA with a 500/500 it's 3ms to 8.8.8.8 while a 500/50 WOW cable connection in N AL is 19ms to 8.8.8.8 and a Charter/Spectrum cable modem nearby is 24ms and a Comcast cable modem in CA is 8ms. I think the best way to go for latency is a 1Gb optical plan as that's basically wired ethernet ping times from what I've seen. And the faster the wire speed, the faster the ping just has to be by the nature of it. So I imagine the 5Gb service that ATT can provide at one of the CA locations is going to be well under 1ms which would be quite nice for nearly anything. :)
We haven't had ICBMs since the last Titan II silo was demolished in 1987 and SAC is long gone since 1970. Instead we have F-16s in the ANG at Ft. Smith and the mother of all C130 nests in Jacksonville.

Last edited:
I believe this is the case. A friend of mine has family members who happily pay the monthly fee(s) despite having spent more than it would have cost to buy the necessary hardware.
The American consumer is the target of every scam and unfair sales pitch because so many of them will part with their money so quickly. I've seen worse scams in the third world, but people there won't part with their money so fast.

We haven't had ICBMs since the last Titan II silo was demolished in 1987 and SAC is long gone since 1970. Instead we have F-16s in the ANG at Ft. Smith and the mother of all C130 nests in Jacksonville.
As long as it does the job of knocking out china before they hit us because that day is looming closer every day. Why we haven't fully decoupled from our enemy in the first place is beyond me...

I have unlimited 1000Gb down 1000Gb up no throttle cap no limits. Very satisfied. ATT Fiber.

I currently have 5Gb servcice from ATT, and when I run a speed test, I show about 4700Mb or higher each way. I figure that's close enough, lol

I had comcast 1g/40m for along time but they put in caps and keept trying to charge me extra, switched to century link 1g/1g fiber in 2020. I pay $65 a month and have had maybe 1hr down time since then.

I have Rogers 1.5gb down and 60up. Only have that package for the upload and when the promotion they gave me runs out it will get dropped. I have never gotten more then 820 down but i will max the upload out.

Fiber has been ran past the house but we have been informed that it will be at least 5 years before there are tethers or service

Can services like Steam and Origin push more than 200/300Mbps? I only have a 100Mbps fiber (frontier FIOS) and focus way more on the gear in my house to make up for it. Unify Wifi6 APs, pfsense router, etc. Just to maximize what I have.

Can services like Steam and Origin push more than 200/300Mbps? I only have a 100Mbps fiber (frontier FIOS) and focus way more on the gear in my house to make up for it. Unify Wifi6 APs, pfsense router, etc. Just to maximize what I have.
yes. ive d/l'd games on steam at over 100MB/s.

I think it's both awesome and sad how fast connections are today. Nowadays a random kid is probably watching a meaningless 4K 60FPS video on his smartphone, wirelessly, at 5 MB/s, while that same bandwidth would be enough for a thousand people to chat over IRC, use e-mail, browse basic websites and even play Half-Life or Quake, all at once.

Yes. I believe I capped out on steam servers or came very close to 1gb. I get around 700mb on my PS5 and 500mb on my Xbox series x.

I think it's both awesome and sad how fast connections are today. Nowadays a random kid is probably watching a meaningless 4K 60FPS video on his smartphone, wirelessly, at 5 MB/s, while that same bandwidth would be enough for a thousand people to chat over IRC, use e-mail, browse basic websites and even play Half-Life or Quake, all at once.
Video is what really challenged the bandwidth demands, and then other related services like rdp, etc, were also able to take advantage of the extra capacity.

Todays computers and bandwidth are so many magnitudes more than the original stuff that people should be in awe on what was able to be done with 64k of memory and a 300baud modem--but they're not because they're watching 4k videos of some spazzy 'youtuber influencer' :dead:

Video is what really challenged the bandwidth demands, and then other related services like rdp, etc, were also able to take advantage of the extra capacity.

Todays computers and bandwidth are so many magnitudes more than the original stuff that people should be in awe on what was able to be done with 64k of memory and a 300baud modem--but they're not because they're watching 4k videos of some spazzy 'youtuber influencer' :dead:
I remember when we got our first 1 MB cable internet back in the early 90s. It was so bad ass.

I've seen steam saturate all of my 1.4gbps.

What is that huge tan modern?
Pretty much. It looked almost identical to this except I think there was an isp specific sticker that replaced the one in the face in addition to the Motorola on top:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1345479162/vintage-motorola-cybersurfr-modem

If you want to live the experience, lol:
https://www.wap.org/journal/speed/needforspeed.html

I remember it was nearly T1 speeds down and I think like 128k up which was ISDN bonded speeds so good enough. I was so mad at my school's pathetic Internet speeds in the dorms that I got special permission to move off-campus. I was far older than the kids there anyways so it made sense in other ways as well.

hahahahaha
I wish.
There's no caps if you "rent" their modem/wifi router which costs $15 a month, and you have basically no control over your own network. And you're forced to be an "xfinity" WIFI hub It's all a giant farce.
You put the modem in bridge mode and run your network equipment and you can turn off the xfinity wifi.

You put the modem in bridge mode and run your network equipment and you can turn off the xfinity wifi.
Yep, this is how I roll since they are discounting the service $20/mo with their equipment.

I had Xfinity (comcast) and was on the 800mb plan to which I got 944mb down and 30mb up. Since moved to Verizion Fios and on their 1gb plan i get 900mb down (slightly less than xfinity) but I get 940mb up. I work from home 50% and while I have people telling me that 30mb up is fine, VPN and large files for work coming down were fine but back up sucked. Now it seems to be way better or maybe I am just looking for a vouch here....

oh and switching to Verizon, my entire bill went down from $250 (Xfinity) to $195 (Verizon)

The major component in your latency is going to be the hops after the CO/Headend access network, but it's still a component (making up 1-10 ms depending on technologies, for example a traditional analog (so non DAA) cable network may be around 5-7 ms , where a LLD cable network can be sub 1, a lot of time can get tied up in queuing and scheduler side of things) . Providers like COX (I think comcast is doing this too now), along with others have started to offer a Gamer subscription package , which is basically just a VPN that optimizes the hops it takes to get to the gaming servers to cut down on ping and jitter. It's not really anything that you need to buy from the provider either, as I think most are just using licensed WTFast software/network , although there are other players in the space as well, I know I've some basically using SD-Wan route optimization in their services as well.

Since I have talked about LLD (Low Latency Docsis) a few times, Comcast is trialing it now https://www.lightreading.com/cable-...d-trials-of-low-latency-docsis/d/d-id/785336?

I just upgraded from 200/20 to 500/50. I don't really need 500mb down...it's the 50 up that I want. I'd take 200/100 given the chance.

Unlimited 1.2gb Comcast here (more like 1.4-1.5, but only 40mb upload)..

$80 iirc, using my own hardware.

Not familiar with 6gb Comcast, might not be in my area.. wasn't offered when I joined (end of 2022)

Back