Who has the fastest net connection?

i_am_mustang_man

Limp Gawd
I won on my other forum, but it's considerably smaller

from my uni T1 line

i bet someone here can beat it!

lol wait until somebody here posts from their work with an OC3 or something even better :p

At least at my university, it should be who has the slowest internet. the entire campus has 45/45mb, for both academic and residential traffic, plus an abeline connection that is apparently really nice and low latency.

:eek:

I want a connection like that.

But what is uni T1 ?

I thought T1's are only 1.54mbps

i_am_mustang_man said:
lol sorry, uni = university cuz i'm in college
I think his confusion is a result of your speed test results being considerably higher than what a T1 should be. What is your actual connection?

college next to atlanta
speed varies depending on time, i think they got a couple T1's

Clarkson University at 12:50am. Actually not bad, I should try it around 8pm when the entire campus is using the internet.

Not too shabby for the business school computer lab at 12:30am on a Friday morning, what am I still doing here?

Ok, I live in Daytona Beach FL. I pinged to Orlando and to Atlanta, GA. Heres mine for both.

Orlando:

Atlanta:

I pay for a 5mb down / 768kb up line cable and I know it is capable of 5mb down (torrents max out right on the line). Some how I think this thing fails to read my upload :p

55386116.png

wee. pretty good for montucky
http://www.speedtest.net/result/55386116.png

do i get a cookie?
Cox Cable, 12Mbps/1Mbps, the best connection i can get were i live for 55 bucks. for that matter for anything under 300$

i_am_mustang_man said:
I
from my uni T1 line

i bet someone here can beat it!

T-1s dont go that fast...they're roughly a meg and a half.

There several of these threads posted..search 'm up.

shadowwyvern said:
At least at my university, it should be who has the slowest internet. the entire campus has 45/45mb, for both academic and residential traffic, plus an abeline connection that is apparently really nice and low latency.

man I dream of a connection like that at the campus where I work! We have dual T1's for both Academic and residential! The internets is painfully slow. Even if I set up rules on our packet shaper to give me some extra bandwidth!

I am working from home today, so its just 6Mbps cable.
When I am in the data center at work, I am on wan gig-e. :D

YeOldeStonecat said:
T-1s dont go that fast...they're roughly a meg and a half.

There several of these threads posted..search 'm up.
really? idk why but i thought T-1 was fastest cept for OC3 type deals. i'm not very well versed in network protocol, mainly just using it to play games :p i go to tufts university, any idea what connection it is?

• DS0 - 64 kilobits per second
  • ISDN - Two DS0 lines plus signaling (16 kilobytes per second), or 128 kilobits per second
  • T1 - 1.544 megabits per second (24 DS0 lines)
  • T3 - 43.232 megabits per second (28 T1s)
  • OC3 - 155 megabits per second (84 T1s)
  • OC12 - 622 megabits per second (4 OC3s)
  • OC48 - 2.5 gigabits per seconds (4 OC12s)
  • OC192 - 9.6 gigabits per second (4 OC48s)

Nice idea, although I think universities shouldnt count... I'll check out my university real quick. ;o)

(Although I'm not too sure how much they like me starting gnome on my remote X server on what they expect should a console only login)

(/me wonders if I can get on their internet2 backbone)

i_am_mustang_man said:
really? idk why but i thought T-1 was fastest cept for OC3 type deals. i'm not very well versed in network protocol, mainly just using it to play games :p i go to tufts university, any idea what connection it is?

Tufts definitely has faster than a T1 - T1s are one of the slowest lines you can get now (1.5 Mbps symmetric, but you get a SLA with T1s compared to regular internet connections).

Judging by your speeds, and from the MA area colleges (you're probably 10 miles from me), Tufts has probably an OC-3, and it does an Internet2 Abilene connection.

And yeah, being on a university is cheating. :( Now let me connect to the telco trunk for a minute... :D Fastest you can get are the telco trunks, probably, or the experimental research things like OC-768s and OC-1536s.

I know this may be a n00by question. Can I get some information on things Ive heard about "Internet 2" please. Thanks

ScratchDrive said:
I know this may be a n00by question. Can I get some information on things Ive heard about "Internet 2" please. Thanks

Google will spew out tons of instant hits....

home connection is 20mbit down and 5 mbit up. good enough for me. We've got a T3 here at work and there's usually quite a bit of traffic.

I just can't wait for the 1 gbps download / 1 gbps upload future I see happening in like 23 years.

Yes, I can't wait..

I'm gonna start watching the calendar now

They keep upping the speed. Quite happy with it for C$37/month. They've got a 10 and 16meg service now available but it's $70/$100, can't quite justify it. Trying hard too though :p

CopyThat said:
Work:

Will try to remember to check home and update later
Holy shit CopyThat, where are you in the TC? I'm in Minnetonka...with speeds nowhere near that, what's your connection/service?

Data center connection

No idea as to why the slow download and ping.. might be because I did this test through terminal services.

I lose, crappy home connection :mad:

They are installing FIOS here though, but I have no clue when it will be done :(

Sympatico High Speed DSL in Southern Ontario, Quite happy for 50 bucks a month CAD.

Yanks2435 said:
They are installing FIOS here though, but I have no clue when it will be done :(

It was a happy day when it came around my area.

Back