who has seen this? windows 8 pro retail license won't activate correctly

theboxmx3

n00b
i've had a strange problem with two of the 4 windows 8 pro licenses i have which are all the same retail box flavor, absolutely for sure not upgrade licenses. but two of the 4 gave me an error on activation that i was using an upgrade license. i was able to fix it after googling, seemed this is not an uncommon problem. is this a known issue or am i just lucky? or am i a moron and somehow managed to cause it myself? =P i am just curious to know what the eff would cause that. two of four licenses did this to me and that is rather shocking to me..

fix:
Open regedit by pressing Windows+r or Windows+q, entering regedit then pressing Enter.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
Go back to the start screen and enter cmd there.
Right-click Command Prompt and select to run it as administrator.
Type slmgr /rearm on the command line and hit Enter.
Reboot Windows now.
Run the activation utility afterwards, enter your product key to activate Windows.

i guess i am a moron and there is no such thing as a retail windows 8 non-upgrade license. maybe i need to effing pay attention. the box sure doesn't do a very good job of making that obvious :eek::eek:

Back