Who has called in sick just to play video games?

As an adult, ave you ever called in sick to play games.

• Never, seriously you are as slacker.

Votes: 125 54.6%
  • I have but the guilt ate me up so never again

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • I do from time to time but nobody really cares at work

Votes: 75 32.8%
  • I catch some crap for it and I usually have to make up the time but yes I have done this

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • All hell breaks loose at work, but yet I do stay home and play games sometimes

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

schoenda

Gawd
With DeusEx HR in full swing, gotta make room for Batman AC, MW#, SKYRIM, etc...here I am, cough, calling out from work...cough...

The fuck is with 3 separate threads about this? Are you on a 8am alcohol binge as well?

Sorry Silver, some sort of overlap between interface idiosyncrasy and user error I dare say. My apologies and, there were no beers or other spirits killed during the making of these posts.

I have taken off a day for Battlefield Bad Company 2 (I got the name 'Tyrant' because of this) and I actually ended up staying home on the release date of Black Ops more or less unexpectedly but played all day anyways. I also took two days off for Battlefield 3, the 2nd day was unexpected as my car needed repairs that took 2~ days. I get crap at work but I use sick days that I *must* use otherwise they go to waste.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Last time I stayed home was when I was in high school and FFVII came out. Played through that game quick... then was a little disappointed. Overall enjoyed it.

I haven't come across a game since that made me want to stay home from work though. Work is alright, MUCH better then crappy grade school. I remember in 3rd grade sleeping with my face in the pillow so that when I woke up my throat would be sore and I got to stay home... ahhh, so glad those days are over...

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Pretty scary that at first read-through I knew exactly what you meant... only the 2nd time did I realize I was mistaken. lol

I don't plan for it but when I wakeup late because I was gaming all night I call the boss and tell him "if you promise not to deduct this day I'll come", if it happens more than one time in one month I just go back to sleep and play the sick card and sometimes skip the next day to make it believable.

I skipped pleeeeeenty of classes in college to play games.

I have not used sick days at work to game... yet.

I called in sick last Tuesday for BF3 and noone cares. I have time I have to use before the end of the year anyway.

I've known ppl to book a day off work for the ritual release of CoD but call in sick? Man you have serious underlying problems if you fake sickness to play a game........

Yea, I took a vaca day when I took mine. I was told if I didn't use them they would be gone.

I've taken sick days to game or just do nothing. Last time i watch like 11 hours of netflix. They don't pay me enough to care that much. I'm sure my boss barely noticed I was gone. Awesomeness.

Yup -- i took a sick day for the release of BF3.

Just becauase I have 2 more sick days to use by the end of this year I'll probably take another one this thursday (I work thurs through sunday)

I never get sick... (maybe once every 3 years) and I see no point in letting a paid sick day get away from me because i maintain my health. There is no real incentive program at work for perfect attendance (there is but it only gets good after you have had like 3 years, yes YEARS of not using sick days)

The logic is simply not there so I give up 2400 dollars worth of paid sick days (assuming 200/day X 4 sick days a year X 3 years) just so I can have them give me a $100 dollar pre-paid visa card? hah F that.

IF you are really sick of course use them, but I'm not going to throw money out of the window just so I look like some sort of dedicated employee who has a great immune system.

I wouldn't even try it because I know that the guilt would chew me up. I'd force myself to do something productive... if not a learning activity (maybe teach myself a new language or work on the design doc for a project I've been putting off) then definitely exercise.

With that being said, I could see myself using a vacation day for the launch of a game. Actually, I think I'll do that as early as next year!

Seriously?

Work is the bad habit that pays for all my other bad habit, if i need a day off for videogaming I'll use my vacation days, I'll call in sick if I'm sick.

(yeah, you're a slacker ;) )

I've never called in sick, but I have taken days off in advance. I have time off available, doesn't matter what I use it for as long as I get it approved before hand, nobody cares.

I've never called in sick, but I have taken days off in advance. I have time off available, doesn't matter what I use it for as long as I get it approved before hand, nobody cares.

Same

I never use sick days for skipping and gaming. I have to save them up for when I need them.

voted 'Never', but i don't consider others that do to be slackers. i take vacation time in advance when i want to do something like this.

(posted while browsing [H] at work....who am i to judge :D)

I browse [H] all day at work, and call in sick from time to time in order to game.

I guess i am teh worst slacker.

I never called in sick to play games, I just game on my day offs and I game even though it cuts into my sleeping time.

It's a game, it will be there when the weekend comes.
Attendance, reliability, played a major role in how I divvied up the annual payroll increase.
Just saying.

The last time I called out for a day was after a car wreck the night before.

Never for a game, or any entertainment. lol

I never miss work for non life threatening crap or non family needs. Especially in this economy. My dad busted his ass 7 days a week to keep us out of poverty and the work ethic is instilled in me and I take a lot of pride in him and the trait passed on. I'm maxed out on sick time, (it converts to vacation time after 120 hours- 1 hour sick not used=a half hour of usable vacation. I now have 154 hours of vacation racked up. I can only carry 120 into the new year so I'm taking Mondays off and have the thanksgiving week off to help eat away at it. Even then, I'll probably be doing some programming and training from home.

Those who are successfully put work as their #2 priority (after family). More work is BETTER then NO WORK! If you are 25+ and calling in sick to play games, you should be ashamed of yourself. Grow up! Take pride that you actually have a job in this economy and DOMINATE it! If you don't' like it, find something you do love. I don't make a lot of money, but I love what I do. My saying is "I'd rather make less money at a job I love then more money at a job I hate".

...now excuse me. I got a L4D2 match calling me! haha Sorry for falling into a rant here. I actually edited this down quite a bit. haha...

IB4TL

Genmay thread here.

And considering all I do lately is play video games 24/7, no, I don't call in sick. I've been playing so much I get bored of video games by the afternoon.

Yep. Done that once or twice. I volunteered to go home from work early once to play Bioshock the day that released, but it was either that or sit on my ass for 10 hours and do nothing. Literally do nothing because there was no work to do and the company was dumb enough to pay people to sit and do nothing.

I have so many comp days saved up from getting called in for whatever reason, and my supervisor is awesome enough to give me most of that time back as long as I don't use too many at once... so much better than calling in sick. That being said I haven't use a comp day for ONLY gaming in quite some time.

When I had a crummy job right out of high school, I'd pull that shit all the time. Have never done it in the last three years though.

The prob seems to be staying up late for many a number of reasons and not going in till noon the next day. Never directly for gaming I guess so I will vote...slackers...lol

I've been at my job for 27 years and I won't be calling in sick for a game. Maybe for something more compelling, like sex, but haven't called off for it in a long time. That shit slows down over the years. lol

So, I call slacker.

I never had, and likely never will.

Especially for some a game like Dues EX, which I can simply save and come back to later, :D. No online co-op needed to sync up with friends - which I believe have not take a sick day for gaming, either... late, though, lol.

That's what SICK days are for...

I'm SICK of work.

Of course I always have WAY more sick days then I can ever use, and usually have a week or two of vacation on the books, so taking a "Mental Health" day really doesn't bother me.

I never miss work for non life threatening crap or non family needs. Especially in this economy. My dad busted his ass 7 days a week to keep us out of poverty and the work ethic is instilled in me and I take a lot of pride in him and the trait passed on. I'm maxed out on sick time, (it converts to vacation time after 120 hours- 1 hour sick not used=a half hour of usable vacation. I now have 154 hours of vacation racked up. I can only carry 120 into the new year so I'm taking Mondays off and have the thanksgiving week off to help eat away at it. Even then, I'll probably be doing some programming and training from home.

Those who are successfully put work as their #2 priority (after family). More work is BETTER then NO WORK! If you are 25+ and calling in sick to play games, you should be ashamed of yourself. Grow up! Take pride that you actually have a job in this economy and DOMINATE it! If you don't' like it, find something you do love. I don't make a lot of money, but I love what I do. My saying is "I'd rather make less money at a job I love then more money at a job I hate".

...now excuse me. I got a L4D2 match calling me! haha Sorry for falling into a rant here. I actually edited this down quite a bit. haha...

While I admire the shared work ethic of you and you father, this post is very pretentious. I am older then 25, and have taken a day or two off of work in order to play a video game. I do not feel ashamed of myself.

I've banked my hours just the same, so what's the difference if I use time off on a release date versus every Monday? I could even make the argument that I am MORE productive the following day after the release of a game then I would be working two days on release date. All I would do is lurk the forums and read reviews until I could get home and burn the midnight oil getting my fix in.

I don't understand the negative stereotype video gaming gets in particular. No one complains about taking time off for, hunting season, opening day of baseball, or the release of a new book/movie.

The "problem" that we have isn't the time we take off, it's the amount of productivity we achieve each day. For example, German companies work less hours then us, and have more time off. However, in a social context, they are required to work much harder then us when they are actually at work. It's something that we cannot grasp.

Back