Who else wishes high-end PC CRTs were still made?

Bop

2[H]4U
This just plain sucks that NEC and Sony have dropped out of the high end CRT market. Now all that is left being made are shadow mask CRTs. I want Diamondtron and Trinitron back :mad:

I was getting to the point where I'd spend over $1k for a new professional level CRT but nobody makes those anymore either. A high end LCD is still no match for a calibrated CRT. I love CRTs so much that I'm buying a refurbished FW900... and I NEVER usually buy things used, especially PC parts.

Maybe if these companies continued R&D with CRTs they could have found lighter weight materials, increased space and power saving, and ways to increase sharpness. CRTs already are better than LCDs in just about everything when it comes to image quality, that gap possibly could have been expanded even more. I'm sure if Sony was still selling FW900s they could turn a nice profit.

I'm looking foward to SEDs but having a native resolution sure is a big turnoff...

I wish I stockpiled NEC 2141 & Trintron monitors several years back... lol :D

I personally wish there were more widescreen CRT's like the FW900. I love my 2005FPW but I miss the scaling of CRT's. That and the whole no ghosting thing.

Bop said:
Maybe if these companies continued R&D with CRTs they could have found lighter weight materials, increased space and power saving, and ways to increase sharpness.

Like those slim Samsung TVs?

I don't because I am a complete FREAK about geometry. I spend more time tuning crts than looking at the image on them :(.

Not only high end ($2000+) but also prosumer models in the $700 range. I nearly bought 2 LaCie 19" monitors about a year ago and talked myself out of it. Now, my Iiyama proofing monitor just died and I am not optimistic about finding a color reliable LCD without spending a bundle of money.

SonComet said:
I don't because I am a complete FREAK about geometry. I spend more time tuning crts than looking at the image on them :(.

I got a Sony GDM-5411 and I didn't even have to touch the geometry controls, you should try one of those. :D

Personally, I never had a use for a fully calibrated CRT, so I'm yet another person who enjoys my LCD.

Still, for those who liked CRT's, bur not their size, there are in fact other technologies comming out from companies that will make small CRT's.

"Field emission display" is a type of display, you can read up on it a bit here: http://www.devicelink.com/mem/archive/98/10/010.html
Much like an SED.

Uses phosphers and elctrons, although its now in a matrix. So you lose the big bulky vacume tubes, but still get the benefits of an electron hitting a phospher.

Cool stuff ea?

towert7 said:
Personally, I never had a use for a fully calibrated CRT, so I'm yet another person who enjoys my LCD.

Still, for those who liked CRT's, bur not their size, there are in fact other technologies comming out from companies that will make small CRT's.

"Field emission display" is a type of display, you can read up on it a bit here: http://www.devicelink.com/mem/archive/98/10/010.html
Much like an SED.

Uses phosphers and elctrons, although its now in a matrix. So you lose the big bulky vacume tubes, but still get the benefits of an electron hitting a phospher.

Cool stuff ea?

It doesn't seem like that will ever be used for consumer electronics unfortunately (or fortunately?)

I wish they were a viable cheap alternative to lcds, I bought my 19" crt without regards to its size because for the price at the time, all that I could have gotten was a 15" lcd. If the crts weren't so bulky, my next monitor would be a crt but as it is its gonna be a lcd...prolly a dell...

But yeah CRT's would still be my #1 choice, no dealing with dead pixels or being afraid to clean a smeary finger print off the monitor...now to clean my laptop without scratching the pixels..hmm.

towert7 said:

Much like an SED.

Cool stuff ea?
Ya, many in this forum have been following the rollercoaster ride known as SED, it's debut has been postponed a year to late 2007.

Production costs *may* delay it indefinitely :(

I agree its to bad CRTs were basically abandoned (The good ones at least) Im just glad my current CRT is still working excellent (FW900) If or when it dies ill probably gamble and buy another FW900 off ebay unless theres a breakthrough in LCD technology.

Back