Who Else likes the Lower Resolutions?

in FPS games like CS:S CS 1.6 etc.

i just <3 the lower resolutions, theres gotta be more like me out there :)

I like low resolutions as well. I switch from 1920x1200 all the way down to 1600x1000

CS 1.6 since it runs on the HL1 engine is probably one of the few games I played at 640x480, then 800x600 because it was playable and easier to play. When I got my widescreen I now play at 1280x800 and its nice.

Everything else gets played at 1680x1050

saber07 said:
I like low resolutions as well. I switch from 1920x1200 all the way down to 1600x1000

That's a lower resolution? :confused:

I go at 1152x864 just because it's always an easy res to get max settings on and it gets me an 85Hz refresh rate on my Trinitron CRT.

saber07 said:

Im pretty sure that is still declared HD gaming. I play at a miserable 1024x768 and wish I could go higher.

Lazy_Moron said:
Im pretty sure that is still declared HD gaming. I play at a miserable 1024x768 and wish I could go higher.

you and me both. me on my 15" 16ms generic lcd...

HD-quality gaming would be 1280x720 or better because that's the resolution for 720p HDTV. So 1280x1024 or better for non-widescreen monitors or 1280x768 for widescreen monitors is the standard for an HD-quality experience. 1920x1200 is just craziness if you ask me.

Before my current computer, I gamed exclusively at 800x600. With my current computer, I game exclusively at 1280x1024 and I'm loving it. It's not a "low resolution" at all. But I have a feeling when Crysis comes around, I'm going to have to lower the resolution a bit...

I played cs 1.6 since the early betas and you used to be locked at 640x480 with only lefthanded models. Because I learned the game at those settings they're the only ones I feel comfortable with, but every other games I've gotten since has been run at the highest playable framerates.

I may not have time to stop and appreciate all the pretties when I'm blowing someone's face off, but by god, when and if I do stop, I want the game to look good!

saber07 said:

I think some of you guys missed the joke...

Unless I was the only person having a jolly good laugh at this. >.>

I do like the lower resolutions though, more specifically on the new games. If I had a better graphics card, though...well it'd be a different story.

I don't like low res. I spent near $300 for my frickin' video card so it better crank out some candy! :D

anything lower then 1024 x 768 makes me start seeing pixilation in real life! "dear god please turn on the anti aliasing ...oh and put the water settings on ultra! I'm going to the beach tomorrow Amen"

nothing less than 1680 x 1050. high res makes even old games look good.

Yes, I was joking of course, heh. But the lowest I go is really 1600x1000 because all games run greater than 60fps for me at that res and with settings adjusted.

Actually all the hardcore CS 1.6 players I know play at 8x6. Not really sure why, but they claim that it's easier to aim at that res.

I've been playing on low res (weak machine) for a long time and I just got used to it. It seems odd whenever I play on a high res. If I ever get a better comp, it'll take some getting used to.

The higher the res, the better - especially in FPS. I'll turn down other effects before I crank down the res. High res, increased FOV = eyes in the back of my head :)

KidzMD said:
The higher the res, the better - especially in FPS. I'll turn down other effects before I crank down the res. High res, increased FOV = eyes in the back of my head :)

I'm in the same boat. I'll stick with a high res first before I have to turn down the details. However, if I have to go past "medium" settings at 1600x1200, then I'll go to 1280x1024 and crank them back up again.

I have a 19'' Flat Screen CRT

The higher the res, the better - especially in FPS. I'll turn down other effects before I crank down the res. High res, increased FOV = eyes in the back of my head
This works best on a large screen though. For me, I dont like the way it makes things so small.

On any of my competition games I play at 800x600 @ 100 hz with lowest everything. Any single player games or games like World of Warcraft I run at the highest settings I can afford to run, which typically goes 1280x1024 6xAA 16xAF

I play CS:S at the ungodly low resolution of 1600x1200 with everything maxed out.
1024x768 played the same so I figured why not go higher so the picture looks a bit sharper.

In a properly coded game resolution has no effect on FOV.

I play on the highest res I can get smooth frame rates at.

Decibel said:
In a properly coded game resolution has no effect on FOV

Yep, well, properly coded is debatable. There is no way that resolution will, by DEFAULT, change the FOV. It can be made to it though, intentionally.

Until I got an LCD I was perfectly happy to play at lower resolutions. Hell it allowed you to turn up the AA even more and get a really great experience.

LCDs change all of that because if you don't play in the native resolution the LCD scaling comes into effect and... well.... LCD scaling makes things look like you are peering through wax paper or something.

pigwalk said:
Actually all the hardcore CS 1.6 players I know play at 8x6. Not really sure why, but they claim that it's easier to aim at that res.

It's because lower resolutions make the models larger and easier to see at distances and 100fps is extremely valuable and easier to achieve on a lower resolution. In addition to that, the smallest crosshair on 8x6 aligns much better with the hitboxes of the 1.6 models, the crosshair doesnt actually scale for different resolutions, so 8x6 is the choice.

However, on maps like de_cpl_fire, its easier to see through fences with 1024x768.

I've played this game waaaayyyy to long. Save me Crysis!! :D

I like 1280x1024 and up. However I don't play many fps online. Mostly strategy and rpgs. With those type of games higher resolutions tend to be better.

640x480 or 800x600 @ 120Hz on most of my games. The highest I'll go is 1024x768 @ 100Hz. I can't stand anything else. :p

Wow, some of you guys play at extremely high refresh rates. Reasoning? Bad eyes? Extra sensitive eyes?

I always play @ 1650x1080 which is my 2007WFPs native resolution.

I'd love it if my 2001FP had a higher refresh rate at its native resolution. It'd cut down on the tearing in some of my games. But regardless, i always play at 1600x1200 (except for Diablo.. 640x480 only!) and turn the settings down to achieve playable framerates at that resolution.

I'm all about 1680x1050 now that I have my LCD. Before I was using a CRT that only went 1024x768 max and it was I think starting to go out as it was pretty dark. It was like night and day. Now I go for 1680x1050 even if I have to turn down some settings. Games just look sweet on this lcd at that res. Crysis has me worried though. Next Xmas or sometime after that I'll probably have to replace my 7800GT SLI's with a DX10 card :(

lol. me and my friend call anything under 1024x768 retard resolution. just thought id share.

Decibel said:
In a properly coded game resolution has no effect on FOV.
Correct, I didn't write clearly but I was speaking of these as 2 different things. I tend to crank my res up high as I can with smooth gameplay and adjust the FOV seperately (for the games that support it). This gives me a large screen with FOV that I adjust up. Takes a lot of getting used to, but really gives you an edge, IMO, when you can see well past your normal peripheral vision. If I try to adjust the FOV too much at lower res, everything gets really compressed and heard to see.

CodeX said:
Yep, well, properly coded is debatable. There is no way that resolution will, by DEFAULT, change the FOV. It can be made to it though, intentionally.
And that's what I was talking about, manually adjusting the FOV. If you have alot of screen real estate, i.e. higher resolution, it makes it easier to deal with.

Well, I usually play at 1440 x 900 on my 1920 x 1200 screen. I consider that low res.

sethmo said:
Wow, some of you guys play at extremely high refresh rates. Reasoning? Bad eyes? Extra sensitive eyes?

I always play @ 1650x1080 which is my 2007WFPs native resolution.

On a CRT, with a lower res with a high refresh rate, it just feels a lot smoother than anything else. :)

I'd rather have constant 100FPS than eye candy. To me, it's about gameplay, not graphics. ;)

i play at 1280 x 1024.... all the time....

i remember playing at 800x600 then moving up to 1024x768.... ah the good old days...

Back