Who else is waiting on Zen 4 x3D before upgrading?

dude. I'm at a steady 200+ fps in world of warcraft on 1440@144 with mine. I've never experience such an upgrade like this since I went from on board graphics to a 256mb card for Half Life 1. its unreal.

what CPU did you upgrade from?...I currently have a 5800X and I game with a 1440p G-Sync display

so it's a bigger jump for you...I think the 5800X3D is the better upgrade for me...the 7800X3D is the better buy as well...but I would also have to buy a new CPU, motherboard and memory versus just the CPU with the 5800X3D

that review said it best:

The AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D will improve performance over the Ryzen 9 7590X in some specific, limited circumstances...we did find it was faster mostly at 1080p with a GeForce RTX 4090...the returns on improvement decrease at 1440p, and mostly at 4K...this was with a GeForce RTX 4090 as well, the fastest GPU you can get today...anything less is going to be even closer in results

To get the most benefit out of the Ryzen 9 7950X3D for gaming, you are going to need the fastest GPU possible, such as the GeForce RTX 4090 and future generation high-end GPUs...you are also going to need to play at lower resolutions, or use games that lean toward being CPU limited by nature...if you have anything less than an RTX 4090 right now, you are going to be GPU limited, and then the benefits of the 7950X3D CPU are not realized

AMD vastly improved gaming performance with the Zen 4 architecture over the Zen 3 architecture...we have seen the Ryzen 9 7950X introduce better performance over Ryzen 9 5950X...we are not seeing the Ryzen 9 7950X3D perform the magic that the Ryzen 7 5800X3D did for the Zen 3 architecture...the Ryzen 7 5800X3D was making up for a weaker architecture in gaming, but with Zen 4 there is less to make up for...Zen 4 already has higher level cache amounts across the board and a better architecture with DDR5 that can overcome a lot of the Zen 3 shortcomings

Here is the main point from that review

TL;DR Not worth the price and software hassle for productivity OR games ESPECIALLY at 4K.
So I’m gaming at 4K and sometimes 1440p with a 4090, and have heavy multicore production workloads with Pro Tools. Looks like I should just get a 7950X and avoid the Xbox Game Bar-dependent hardware scheduling nightmare.

isn't the whole point of these 3D cache CPU's for gaming?...it's not meant to be an all-purpose CPU

Buying a 16 core version implies you are doing more than gaming otherwise you would get a 5800x3d or 7800x3d. The fact that the 3d cachemakes gaming on 16 cores better than 7950x is the "best of both worlds" part. If you dont need to game you can buy 7950x.

The problem with this scenario is the 7950X exists and is considerably cheaper. It's just as efficient but you need to manually dial that in. It's just AMD did it out of the box with the newer non X and 3D versions.
Oh for sure. Realistically there are no efficiency differences between the 7950X and 7950X3D. You can def tune the 7950X to a similar level, of course that does mean forgoing a tiny amount of performance too.

Disregarding benchmarks and such, what's it going to be like trying to buy one of these tomorrow? Do people mob Microcenter or hammer Amazon/NewEgg like they do with GPU's or what?

It's not a best of both worlds CPU though. If you enable both CCD's your gaming performance suffers significantly. If you enable half of them, your productivity/multitasking suffers. That's not the best of anything, that's a compromise.

Again the parked CCD is not disabled. I mean you CAN physically disable one CCD for a small bump in some games (as shown by HUB) but its a small gain and only apparent in some titles, and of course that will definitely have an impact if you are running enough additional software alongside your game (8 less cores is 8 less cores). But that is not the normal mode the 7950X3D runs in when running a game. If gaming is ALL you care about then I think its clear the 7800X3D will definitely be the cpu to wait for and get.

Last edited:
Is there actually a good review worth reading?
The TPU one at least mentioned the 1% lows.

I think everyone knew that the 1440p/4k performance benefit would be negligible, but the lows are what many of us are interested in. Also hard to benchmark this in certain RTS/MMO games where the 3D cache will really shine (theoretically).

So I skimmed through that TPU review again and the only two scenarios that stood out to me in terms of min fps at 4K were Age of Empires (15-20 fps higher mins versus 7700x for example) and Spiderman (60! Fps higher mins versus 7700x). Everything else seemed otherwise fairly close.

Gotta say, that Raptorlake chip is pretty damn impressive.

Last edited:
Disregarding benchmarks and such, what's it going to be like trying to buy one of these tomorrow? Do people mob Microcenter or hammer Amazon/NewEgg like they do with GPU's or what?

I will probably take months to verify whether any of the AM5 boards actually run ECC memory correctly (with reporting to the OS). So, no.

Personally I would save the money and go buy a 5800x3d
I have no desire to be locked back into the AM4 platform. I would like the 'option' to upgrade after the fact if I did so choose without scrapping the entire build, whereas with the AM4 5800x3d I would have to buy a whole new MB, Ram and CPU again. The only thing I could carry over to a AM4 5800x3d build would be my cooler and my ram...

The TPU one at least mentioned the 1% lows.

I think everyone knew that the 1440p/4k performance benefit would be negligible, but the lows are what many of us are interested in. Also hard to benchmark this in certain RTS/MMO games where the 3D cache will really shine (theoretically).

So I skimmed through that TPU review again and the only two scenarios that stood out to me in terms of min fps at 4K were Age of Empires (15-20 fps higher mins versus 7700x for example) and Spiderman (60! Fps higher mins versus 7700x). Everything else seemed otherwise fairly close.

Gotta say, that Raptorlake chip is pretty damn impressive.
What really jumped out to me was the gaming power consumption. 44W average with the 1 CCX disabled (essentially what will be a 7800X3D) seems mightily impressive for the gaming performance achieved. 13900k was using over 3x as much power for essentially the same average gaming performance.

I have no desire to be locked back into the AM4 platform. I would like the 'option' to upgrade after the fact if I did so choose without scrapping the entire build, whereas with the AM4 5800x3d I would have to buy a whole new MB, Ram and CPU again. The only thing I could carry over to a AM4 5800x3d build would be my cooler and my ram...
Oh I well that makes sense. Thought the 5800x3d was a drop in

Oh I well that makes sense. Thought the 5800x3d was a drop in
the board I'm currently running will run up to a 3000 series CPU but the chipset doesn't support the 5ks... I was way too early getting into the Ryzen game haha

Curious what your experience is with 5800X3d Vs. 7700x, in VR?
Well that is good question that will require a very long answer tbh. The short answer is when it's working it does quite well. Comparing the two cpu's I'd have to say the 7700X comes out on top except for the lows which are more seldom on the new cpu than they were on the 5800 due mostly to clock speed it seems. Steam VR has been implementing a move to support the open XR api for some time now and it's been broken on and off for the last few weeks so metrics testing is not gonna happen for awhile. Some days it's been impossible to get working others it just works perfectly until the next update is pushed but that's all part of development so it is what it is. When all the bugs are worked out on valves end I can give a more detailed observation.

Steve's review is up...

You know... this guy is the only dude in the current crop of "You Tube Personalities" that I even slightly have respect for. At least he's trying to do it right and succeeds many times.

Anyhow- on topic.

I'm unimpressed in a practical sense- but my inner nerd is all over this.

In a practical sense- these frame rate levels we seem to be demanding these days are complete placebo performance. From a geek standpoint- YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

But I make my computer decisions based on practical reasons. And that means my 5950X has at least 2 years left in it.

I guess I'm not excited about being excited. Shrug....

You know... this guy is the only dude in the current crop of "You Tube Personalities" that I even slightly have respect for. At least he's trying to do it right and succeeds many times.

Anyhow- on topic.

I'm unimpressed in a practical sense- but my inner nerd is all over this.

In a practical sense- these frame rate levels we seem to be demanding these days are complete placebo performance. From a geek standpoint- YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

But I make my computer decisions based on practical reasons. And that means my 5950X has at least 2 years left in it.

I guess I'm not excited about being excited. Shrug....
I don’t think there’s a practical reason for *most* people with a 5800x/5800x3d/5900x/5950x to upgrade tbh. I was pretty excited for this release but the x3d compromises, potential scheduling issues and the less than amazing performance increase has dampened my excitement.

I don’t think there’s a practical reason for *most* people with a 5800x/5800x3d/5900x/5950x to upgrade tbh. I was pretty excited for this release but the x3d compromises, potential scheduling issues and the less than amazing performance increase has dampened my excitement.

But you are still excited.... that's how it works.

I'm waiting to see a reviewer test 7950X3D without using x box game bar but instead using project lasso to assign affinity and priority to each process/game rather than letting some software dev push the buttons and pull the levers. That would be of interest to me as it would allow full hardware control to the user as it always should have been and would fix the poor result from CS GO by running it on the non 3D chip. That sort of granular control would indeed make the 7950X3D function optimally.

I'm waiting to see a reviewer test 7950X3D without using x box game bar but instead using project lasso to assign affinity and priority to each process/game rather than letting some software dev push the buttons and pull the levers. That would be of interest to me as it would allow full hardware control to the user as it always should have been and would fix the poor result from CS GO by running it on the non 3D chip. That sort of granular control would indeed make the 7950X3D function optimally.
Have you been actually looking at reviews? TPU and Hardware unboxed both disabled the regular CCD.

CSGO is clockspeed sensitive, not cache sensitive. Both the 5800x3D and 7950x3D do not impress in that title-----when compared to other CPUs.

1677564565724.png

After going back and forth on it, I decided to just get a plain 7950X instead of the 3D. I’ll be doing multitasking during my gaming with Voicemeeter running multiple 7.1 surround audio streams and Discord voice chat, and the 5950X had issues with this already that required me to confine all of that to my 2nd CCD via Process Lasso alongside audiodg.exe, and if I have to do that with the 7950X3D for whatever reason, that means it’ll slow down the gaming gains I would get from the 3D cache anyways. The significant discount the 7950X is being sold for right now helped cement my choice. Maybe I’ll give V-Cache a shot when it doesn’t require all of this scheduling insanity, can be used on both CCDs, and it doesn’t need any special treatment like disabling overclocking, lowering boost clocks, or dropping the TJMax. The tech still looks like it’s in its early stages.

Either way, I’m glad I waited on the V-Cache SKUs, the DDR5 was cheaper and easy to get, and the CPU was way cheaper. People paid $800 for the 7950X at launch and I paid $570.

Last edited:
Welp, my Microcenter allows you to "buy now" via their website, but doesn't take payment until you get to the store. Hopefully I'm not wasting my time heading down there, but it does seems like their stock is depleting. They went from "Over 25 in stock" first thing this morning to 22.

It's a reserve. You "buy" it, they put it behind a counter, then you go there and pay for it.

I figured, I just hope they honor it :) Like 15 years ago I'd roll in at opening time for a major video card release and I'd be the only person in the store. They'd have to look up what I wanted based on the part # from their site. I tried doing that a few years later and there was a pile of tents and a 100-person line. This is the first time I've bought a new processor that's somewhat desirable in a long time.

EDIT: I just got a confirmation email that it's being held for me, so I'm assuming things are good to go.

Last edited:
do the ram deals apply?
I don't see any Zen4 X3D chips in the combos, so probably not.

Honestly makes the 7900X3D a really, really hard sell. You have a SINGLE 7900X3D at the same cost as a 7900X, mobo, and 32gb of pretty decent ram.....

do the ram deals apply?

I don't see any combo deals or anything yet. I've actually already got a full system built and ready to drop a processor in, so I didn't even care.
I suppose it'll probably depend on how well these things sell. If nothing else, I bet they offer up some deals on the 7900X3D before it's all said and done. Feels like that one is the odd man out and what you'd settle with if the other models sold out.

being that AMD is positioning the 7800x3d to be the high seller, i doubt there will be ram deals on that one. Makes me glad I got the 7700x MC deal

Would be nice to see some good CPU intensive game benchmarks. There's tons of them out there, but they don't draw the views like the flashy FPS games do.

And... using 1080p as benchmarks are one of the huge ways they can get the sheep to continue upgrading. I can see the shilling now... "Your 5800X3D is obsolete... you need to upgrade NOW!!"

Back