Who else is waiting on Zen 4 x3D before upgrading?

If these AMD 7xxx chips have the same bugs that the 5xxx chips had at the beginning, go get Intel and enjoy a solid and stable experience.
I just went ahead and got the MSI Z790 Bundle (the only place that I have seen 4090 in stock since October). I already got a arctic freezer II ordered but I can either cancel that or just keep both since technically I got the MSI AIO for free (they didn't charge tax).

yeah the it was intended to solve a problem that didnt exist for the Am5 chipset, which is warping. That product is mainly used for some intels. They kept producing it bc it happens to help with the paste

I am very eager for reviews, but itll probably be a month or so. Ridiculous that AMD will have its top parts as the 7900X, the 7900XT, the 7900XTX, the 7900X3D, the 7950X and 7950X3D very cool guys. Just imagine for a day, being a partner trying to buy a gift from a wishlist, or worse, being a stockperson at Amazon doing shipments

Not as bad as microsoft with the xbox one, xbox one x, xbox series x baloney but you get it.

No one to blame but themselves either. The jump from Radeon 590 to 5700xt was retarded

I don’t know where the x3D chips will land - probably expensive-but Microcenter keeps dropping their price on current AM5 CPUs and they are still giving ram away with them. Also there are 4 open box kits of the 32g GSkill 6000 stuff for $89 here.

Nuts.
View attachment 539607
View attachment 539608
Cause its overpriced for most people who already have invested in AM4 with a 5XXX chip.

I am very eager for reviews, but itll probably be a month or so. Ridiculous that AMD will have its top parts as the 7900X, the 7900XT, the 7900XTX, the 7900X3D, the 7950X and 7950X3D very cool guys. Just imagine for a day, being a partner trying to buy a gift from a wishlist, or worse, being a stockperson at Amazon doing shipments

Not as bad as microsoft with the xbox one, xbox one x, xbox series x baloney but you get it.

I was just thinking about this. Unless you're really into this hobby, these product names are just gibberish and now they all look almost identical. Why make it so confusing, AMD? o_O

Do the X3D chips offer any kind of performance improvement for non-gamers?
By and large, no. There may be an application or two that benefits from the massive cache but they would be few and far between.

In fact, in general these processors will very likely trail the non 3D parts, just like last gen, for productivity apps.

I'm waiting on reviews to see how well Windows is going to handle scheduling. If it has not issues I'll probably go for it otherwise if its bad then Raptor Lake.

I'm waiting on reviews to see how well Windows is going to handle scheduling. If it has not issues I'll probably go for it otherwise if its bad then Raptor Lake.
I just decided to go raptor lake after hearing how 3D was architected.

I'll probably end up getting the 7800X3D. But if the .1% and 1% lows are comparable on the 7900X3D, I'll get that instead.

Finally! You can build a 7900X3d+7900XTX! However, no x770 chipset, unlike the x570 where we could have an x570+5700X+5700XT. If only they had made a 5700X3D and 5700XTX so we could get all the suffixes...

Last edited:
By and large, no. There may be an application or two that benefits from the massive cache but they would be few and far between.

In fact, in general these processors will very likely trail the non 3D parts, just like last gen, for productivity apps.

The 2 ccd chips should at minimum match the non-3d parts in productivity but kill them in gaming. I like what they've done tbh, we get high clocks for apps that need that more than the cache, and more cache for those (games) that do. The big question mark is will we need to manually lasso processes or will we get an intelligent scheduler (based on cache misses or something) that will automatically select the correct CCD? When going all core, they should have similar clocks to the non-3d parts and the extra cache (which both ccd's can access) may give a small boost.

Last edited:
I wonder how the 7900X3D will fare if they use a 6 + 6 die configuration (I don't see them using an 8 + 4 design). I can see games (via the windows scheduler) mostly making use of just the extra cache CCD... yet the 8 cores with the extra cache on the 7800X3D or 7950X3D may be superior in games vs the 6 core version? More so if the vcache cores all cap out at 5GHz. I guess it depends on how well the scheduler assigns everything, and what the latency tradeoff when using both CCDs will be.

I wonder how the 7900X3D will fare if they use a 6 + 6 die configuration (I don't see them using an 8 + 4 design). I can see games (via the windows scheduler) mostly making use of just the extra cache CCD... yet the 8 cores with the extra cache on the 7800X3D or 7950X3D may be superior in games vs the 6 core version? More so if the vcache cores all cap out at 5GHz. I guess it depends on how well the scheduler assigns everything, and what the latency tradeoff when using both CCDs will be.
I have heard it is a 8+4 from one of the AMD interviews.

I expect AMD to have a method for games. As in game mode (least preferred). Better yet using the drivers game profile which automatically assign the right cores (except this would be limited to AMD GPUs unless Nvidia plays along). Best if OS correctly assigns the correct cores per application, as in DX 12, Vulkan APIs calls or applications, which will then switch over to the more cache cores. Maybe some application profiles as well.

Maybe in the summer or later this year I will build another system, 7950x3d. Then again by then Threadripper maybe out as well.

I'm very curious how the windows 11 scheduler will handle these chips. Not sure how it is going to directly know whether a game prefers speed or cache. It does a good job of CCD0 vs CCD1, just like P/E cores, but this is a bit different of an animal.

I don't know what good it do me. I would love to have one but I would rather buy a hydraulic tree puller for my kubota. I'm holding out on zen5 since I'm on zen3. My next build is gonna have 128GB ram I know that much. Though the stacked cache design is so damn sweet. What, 25% faster chip than 13900k?

I'm very curious how the windows 11 scheduler will handle these chips. Not sure how it is going to directly know whether a game prefers speed or cache. It does a good job of CCD0 vs CCD1, just like P/E cores, but this is a bit different of an animal.
Tom's Hardware has already said that AMD is working with Microsoft to make changes to the windows scheduler, to work with upcoming chipset drivers.

I can't imagine this will be very complicated. I think it will simply be app/game specific profiles in the chipset driver, which will flag the windows scheduler when that app loads (or specific process from within the app)----to emphasize one CCD or the other. Or use both, in the case of an all core render, video encode, etc.

Its kinda strange to me that Intel isn't doing that, really. I guess they wanted to play around with an AI model for their thread director, instead. Seems like upcoming changes will simplify its behavior.

With how close to low watt non X are in games, that seem to bode well for the 3d version (i.e. if they are more heat limited than the non 3d like the 5800x3d, should not be a big issue)

Got a 7700X then shortly after a 7950X. Amazing platform even coming from a 5950X owner at one point to a 5800X after my 5950X died and new RMAed one was sold.

7900x 8+4 sounds really interesting. I hope it is. Anyone know the review date?

remember that even the CCDs without 3D cache can benefit from the expanded cache on the other CCD, as its still faster to hop the die than venture out to system memory.

I really hoped for a full X3D solution stack, but this still has merit...

Funny how some people are already deciding to get RPL after hearing about the cache being on one CCD or are making it a big deal. Even if windows messes up the scheduler for certain games and sends data to the other CCD it won't make much of a difference anyway. It'll be a Zen 4 CCD which are plenty fast and the end result would still be faster than non X3D parts as not all data is going to the other CCD anyway and memory trips are cut overall. Looking at the current crop of games reviewers use, those cases of games being poorly optimized for dual CCD configs aren't really common.

Putting cache on both dies are a waste for client use.

Funny how some people are already deciding to get RPL after hearing about the cache being on one CCD or are making it a big deal. Even if windows messes up the scheduler for certain games and sends data to the other CCD it won't make much of a difference anyway. It'll be a Zen 4 CCD which are plenty fast and the end result would still be faster than non X3D parts as not all data is going to the other CCD anyway and memory trips are cut overall. Looking at the current crop of games reviewers use, those cases of games being poorly optimized for dual CCD configs aren't really common.

Putting cache on both dies are a waste for client use.
You can also use Process Lasso to manually configure which processes run any core you want persistently. I've been using it for years it's an absolute gem software wise.

Being that I'm viewing this upcoming AM5 build as a foundation for the next 5+ years, does it make sense to get a mobo with PCI-E 5.0? I really like the GIGABYTE B650M AORUS Elite AX, but its PCIE 4.0. But its 'only' $200. The PCIE 5.0 equivalent, B650E, is like $350-$400. Wtf? These prices are fucking insane.

For what its worth, TechPowerUp (link) did a PCIE scaling gaming review on the 4090. The difference between PCIE 3 and PCIE4 is like 2% at 1440 and 4K.
  • Is it fair to assume that the difference from PCI4 to PCI5 will be similarly small?
  • Being that the 4090, the latest and greatest, isn't even PCI5 itself, is it fair to assume that PCI5 would be more prevalent in AM6?

edit:
Newegg has several PCIe 5x16 mobo with integrated wifi, prices ranging from $240. The price is doable (i guess), are any of these cheaper ones good? I only care about gaming and office work.
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007625 601406716 601408982 601334148 601321778&Order=1

Last edited:
By the time we have cards that take advantage of PCI5, the CPU will be the bottle neck. I wouldn’t worry too much about PCI5 right now. The biggest thing for me is the bandwidth between the GPU and NVme that we will get with PCI5.

hmm I'm looking at the GIGABYTE B650M AORUS Elite AX compared to the ASRock B650E PG RIPTIDE. The Asrock is $40 more but i get:
-PCIE 5x16
-1 additional M2 nvme
-2 more phases (14phase vs 12 phase)

Does Asrock have a good rep? I thought they were lower end

Hopefully we get some reviews before the morning of 2/14. I want to know if there are major caveats to the design of these things before taking the plunge on one.
Also, since they've given us a date, I'm also hoping for pricing rather soon, too.

Im hoping that Microcenter has a free Ram deal too. I think it was CL32 6000? Sure, theres CL30 6000 ram out there in the retail market, but i highly doubt I will notice the difference

Im hoping that Microcenter has a free Ram deal too. I think it was CL32 6000? Sure, theres CL30 6000 ram out there in the retail market, but i highly doubt I will notice the difference

Yeah, looks like they're doing that for current models. That's really not bad at all. A few months ago it was slower/less-ideal stuff. CL32 6000 might not be absolute top of the line, but it's pretty good!

I'm going to be looking hard at the 7800x3d. The 7900x3d sounds great too. The only thing I do that pushes my PC anymore is gaming. The noise from my cooler to cool this nearly 300 watt 10850 is annoying. Might lose my [H] card but I don't want a 300 watt CPU anymore. I'll set it back to stock and give it to my wife who will run it for a great many years.

Yeah, looks like they're doing that for current models. That's really not bad at all. A few months ago it was slower/less-ideal stuff. CL32 6000 might not be absolute top of the line, but it's pretty good!

It's only until supplies last and my local store was down to 8 kits of the free ram yesterday. The 7950x with 32GB of ram for $567 is just too good of a deal to pass up. You'll see that you can no longer reserve the processors online with the ram now, you could up until Monday night.

I just got a 7700X combo at Micro Center in preparation for X3D. I highly doubt they will be giving away RAM with X3D - it'll be a tough chip to get.

Back