Who else is waiting on Zen 4 x3D before upgrading?

I hope they learnt from the shitty pricing nonsense they tried to pull w/ the 7000 series. However, given the popularity of the X3D and people's willingness to pay I won't be surprised if a 7900X3D costs like 600 bucks :rolleyes:

The time compression here for AMD is astounding. After Zen 3 launched, they dragged their feet on non-X parts for a year and a half. Same with 3D cache versions. Now we're getting the entire product line dumped, with all variations, two months after first Zen 4 parts launched. Amazing what a little competition can do. Anyway, hope you all enjoy these. We'll see what the benches show but happy with my drop-in 5800X3D.

I don’t know where the x3D chips will land - probably expensive-but Microcenter keeps dropping their price on current AM5 CPUs and they are still giving ram away with them. Also there are 4 open box kits of the 32g GSkill 6000 stuff for $89 here.

Nuts.
56458BFE-A91F-463D-88D4-DABF5D35439C.png

FFC61B78-B0CA-40A7-A066-BCE731FB1DF2.jpeg

I hope they learnt from the shitty pricing nonsense they tried to pull w/ the 7000 series. However, given the popularity of the X3D and people's willingness to pay I won't be surprised if a 7900X3D costs like 600 bucks :rolleyes:

I don’t know where the x3D chips will land - probably expensive-but Microcenter keeps dropping their price on current AM5 CPUs and they are still giving ram away with them. Also there are 4 open box kits of the 32g GSkill 6000 stuff for $89 here.

Nuts.
View attachment 539607
View attachment 539608
Let me know when the mobos are reasonably priced. Damn things cost more than HEDT mobos from a few years ago.

So for 7950 it is like intels P and E cores. 8 cores will have the cache but only boost to 4.2 while the other without the cache boosts to 5.7 or is it the other way around?

So for 7950 it is like intels P and E cores. 8 cores will have the cache but only boost to 4.2 while the other without the cache boosts to 5.7 or is it the other way around?

The chiplet with the stacked cache will definitely boost lower.

Will have to wait for benchmarks but it sounds like a scheduling nightmare for Windows. Will it know how to optimally assign which CCD for cache sensitive games/tasks vs those that are more frequency sensitive?

Could just opt to go for the 7800X3D with the one chiplet that has all the cache, but a much lower boost frequency than a 7700X. So in that scenario unless you are absolutely sure your game will benefit from the extra cache, you are actually getting worse performance than a less expensive CPU.

Will have to wait on benchmarks, of course, but I am worried these chips may be a bit of a flop.

The chiplet with the stacked cache will definitely boost lower.

Will have to wait for benchmarks but it sounds like a scheduling nightmare for Windows. Will it know how to optimally assign which CCD for cache sensitive games/tasks vs those that are more frequency sensitive?

Could just opt to go for the 7800X3D with the one chiplet that has all the cache, but a much lower boost frequency than a 7700X. So in that scenario unless you are absolutely sure your game will benefit from the extra cache, you are actually getting worse performance than a less expensive CPU.

Will have to wait on benchmarks, of course, but I am worried these chips may be a bit of a flop.
I am afraid it will only be better in certain games than 13900K but lose out in productivity/multi core processes. In that case the 16 core makes no sense. Good news is that these will be crazy efficient. I am more concerned about MSFS 2020. 13900K is already 20 percent better than 7950X.

I am afraid it will only be better in certain games than 13900K but lose out in productivity/multi core processes. In that case the 16 core makes no sense. Good news is that these will be crazy efficient. I am more concerned about MSFS 2020. 13900K is already 20 percent better than 7950X.

These are basically gaming threadrippers (same cache) so not sure they will lose out in productivity. But there are a lot of "if's" there, including Windows scheduling optimizations.

These are basically gaming threadrippers (same cache) so not sure they will lose out in productivity. But there are a lot of "if's" there, including Windows scheduling optimizations.
I am thinking about lose in multi core productivity if the other cores are 1.5Ghz boost less than the non 3D chip version. Yes scheduling also has me concerned. If all you did was game the 3D chip is a no brainer. It will be faster and will be more efficient due to the lower TDP. We won’t know until there are benchmarks.

I have been waiting to build my new computer so I am just itching to grab something lol. Been waiting since September for everything to come out.

Looks like more details on the 1x CCD vs 2x CCD parts and their vCache/core changes here on the 7000 series.

7800X3D seems like a scam. It's basically 5800X3D that is allowed to be overclocked on single core. They don't even post the base clock for that CPU.

I was going to get a 5800x3d but guess I'm waiting for real benchmarks of these now.

The 7800x3D has a lower boost clock (and base it looks like) so it will be interesting to see if it will be worth it for the extra money. I bet they did this to keep it from eating into their upper priced chips too much.

Nuts.
View attachment 539607
View attachment 539608
Yeah - I have a 9900KS build that I am going to refresh after realizing that CPU fetches over $400 on eBay. I am thinking a 7700X for now for cheap to tide me over until the 7xxxX3D mania subsides. The AM5 boards are super expensive but there are some nice open box deals at my Micro Center that make it a little more palatable.

The other thing that looks nuts is the EVGA Z690 Classified for a bit over $300 new and maybe a 13600K. But the dead end nature of Z690/Z790 gets me. AM4 was so fun.

According to techpowerups review of the 5800X3D vs normal 5800x, it had an 8% lead at 1080, 7% at 1440, and 1% at 4K. No wonder AMD compared the 7800X3D to the 5800X3D and not the regular 7000s.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d/16.html

Yeah we'll see...IIRC AMD undersold the 5800X3D and reviewers were blown away by it.

I don't expect that same level of delta this time around, but I think AMD will retake the crown slightly, although at 4K it's basically a tie now anyway.

I'm hoping these get proper reviews looking at 1% minimums and such to get a better feel for the more subtle benefits, assuming AMD's claims of Windows scheduling optimizations are true. My 7700X is a placeholder as I was all-in with AM5, just a matter of which X3D makes the most sense.

According to techpowerups review of the 5800X3D vs normal 5800x, it had an 8% lead at 1080, 7% at 1440, and 1% at 4K. No wonder AMD compared the 7800X3D to the 5800X3D and not the regular 7000s.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d/16.html

You do understand that the CPU doesn't actually get slower at higher resolutions, right? It's simply introducing GPU bottlenecks into the equation. It's not the CPU's fault if you have a GPU bottleneck. Techpowerup used a regular 3080 for those benchmarks, not exactly a top-of-the-line GPU at this point...

Ryen 4 X3D looks like a worthy upgrade. For the 7900 X3D and 7950 X3D I expect AMD to have a gaming mode option -> single chiplet option with the X3D so one can get the full benefit in gaming until Windows and Linux catches up for gaming.

I would not look at averages for the performance increase. Which does not reflect fully the CPU limitation in games. 1% lows is a better indicator. Better is frame times.

Now AMD will most likely wake up the dormant performance of the 4090, especially with RT using DLSS. ADA more reliance on CPU performance can hold it back at lower resolutions or when using DLSS. Should also help some with the 4080. I expect some performance increase with RDNA 3 but more with Nvidia.

I wonder if the X3D models will be less limiting on memory speeds? Will they catch up to Intel there.

Paired with a 4090, the 5800x3d does free up more performance than the regular 5800.
Yeah, even some of the 720p tests are bottlednecked with a 3080. Pretty poor review considering there were 2-3 faster GPU's they could have used during that time.

This guy, pending prices. I am on some slow DDR4 3600mhz CL16 and have been thinknig about dropping $250 on better kit when I can now just wait and upgrade to not only DDR5 but something much faster than a 5900x

I'll be waiting on which x3d chip unlocks the 4090 before pulling the trigger. The noctua piece looks like a must to keep the cpu clean.

Call me crazy but I was dead set on getting 3D chip since Sept but now thinking about getting 13900K. Am I crazy? I do a ton of development via Visual Studio and Unreal engine development. Don’t think that extra cache I will notice. I do some gaming and some VR. I don’t care if I am getting a dead end Platform, I will just build me a new PC next year.

Call me crazy but I was dead set on getting 3D chip since Sept but now thinking about getting 13900K. Am I crazy? I do a ton of development via Visual Studio and Unreal engine development. Don’t think that extra cache I will notice. I do some gaming and some VR. I don’t care if I am getting a dead end Platform, I will just build me a new PC next year.
Not crazy. Have fun! The 13900K is an awesome CPU. The 13900KS is probably around the corner - there’s always something!

Plus - those MSI bundles are handy to get hard to find 4090s!

Not crazy. Have fun! The 13900K is an awesome CPU. The 13900KS is probably around the corner - there’s always something!

Plus - those MSI bundles are handy to get hard to find 4090s!
Yeah MSI bundle comes with GPU and the board that I want. Don’t care for the AIO but since you don’t pay for taxes it pays for itself.

Last edited:
I don't think you're crazy at all if you can cool it. The price wars have just begun.

If these AMD 7xxx chips have the same bugs that the 5xxx chips had at the beginning, go get Intel and enjoy a solid and stable experience.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm actually really digging thermalright (not thermal take my bad) design. Its alot beefier, and its almost flush with the cpu. Comes in red and black. With Noctuas, there is still a bit of a dip between their product and the cpu, and paste can still gunk up there. I dont see it secured very well either

View attachment 539843

ee29b3f4-b9a8-45cb-a30f-fed902628a23.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Thermalright CPU Contact Frame Anti-Bending Buckle for AM5 Secure Frame Kit Black $22 Amazon
Looks nice but 3x the price of Noctua - dang!

I'm actually really digging thermalright (not thermal take my bad) design. Its alot beefier, and its almost flush with the cpu. Comes in red and black. With Noctuas, there is still a bit of a dip between their product and the cpu, and paste can still gunk up there. I dont see it secured very well either

View attachment 539843

ee29b3f4-b9a8-45cb-a30f-fed902628a23.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Thermalright CPU Contact Frame Anti-Bending Buckle for AM5 Secure Frame Kit Black $22 Amazon
Looks nice but 3x the price of Noctua - dang!
because they are two different things...
iirc, de8eur(sp?) is also working on a silicon gap filler

Maybe I’ll just get none of them and continue doing fine, lol. I get it’ll be a mess but it’s a once a year or less occurrence.

Canceled my Noctua order at Amazon until things shake out.

Back